TDI fades into regulatory oblivion; Enter Miata

Started by Tave, February 24, 2013, 02:15:38 PM

MrH

Also, retractable means a lot of space in the dash.  One of the reasons for the big push to the tablet style screens is it allows the dash to be lower than a fully integrated screen.  Imagine how high the dashboard would have to be to envelop the screen in something like an ND miata.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

12,000 RPM

I think they could figure something out. Move the center HVAC vent down, go with a thinner screen, put the retracting mechanism to the sides.

Personally I don't see the big deal with it.... initially I hated the look, and I still prefer an in dash solution (dat Neue Panamera :wub: ) but it's no biggie. It's about where the radio in my Civic is now.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: MrH on November 30, 2016, 07:22:44 AM
Also, retractable means a lot of space in the dash.  One of the reasons for the big push to the tablet style screens is it allows the dash to be lower than a fully integrated screen.  Imagine how high the dashboard would have to be to envelop the screen in something like an ND miata.

What good is a low dash when you have a screen protruding up and blocking your view anyway?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

2o6

I've driven the Scion iA and the Mazda 3 and have never thought the tablet on the dash was intrusive to your field of vision. Also, the screen is marginally taller than what looks like a Sanyo Clock radio that Mazda slaps on the top of the dash for the variants without them.

Also, I know that Mazda dropped the clock-radio looking stereo on the Mazda 3 with basically no price difference.

Raza

I think the law requiring fixed screens for rearview cameras (which are becoming mandatory) trumps any sort of interior design preferences. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on November 30, 2016, 07:41:18 AM
I think they could figure something out. Move the center HVAC vent down, go with a thinner screen, put the retracting mechanism to the sides.

Personally I don't see the big deal with it.... initially I hated the look, and I still prefer an in dash solution (dat Neue Panamera :wub: ) but it's no biggie. It's about where the radio in my Civic is now.

What they should do is have a projector on the luggage shelf, project the rear camera view on to the rear windshield, forcing people to turn around and/or use their mirrors rather than staring down at their dashboard.  Also make turning your rear windshield into a stickerfest/billboard/tombstone/stuffed animal refuge illegal. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

68_427

It also allows the screen size to change without changing the dash.
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Tave

Offer came yesterday but too late to get it notarized and returned before close of business. Still might be able to get this done before xmas.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Payman

Quote from: Tave on December 10, 2016, 06:49:02 AM
Offer came yesterday but too late to get it notarized and returned before close of business. Still might be able to get this done before xmas.

Is the offer what you expected? I'm reading that many people are getting angry with the process.

Tave

Quote from: Rockraven on December 10, 2016, 08:48:10 AM
Is the offer what you expected? I'm reading that many people are getting angry with the process.

It has taken longer than they first announced at several steps in the process, which is very frustrating given that they adjust your payout based on mileage. I'm sure they're just dealing with the volume but the cynic in you can't help but think the longer they drag their feet, the less they'll pay.

The process itself isn't too bad--a little redundant but ok.

Offer was exactly as forecast, which for me is essentially the purchase price. As far as class actions go that ain't bad.

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Tave on December 10, 2016, 06:37:57 PM
As far as class actions go that ain't bad.

LOL They got caught big time, and are going to pay out, big time.
Will

Raza

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 12, 2016, 05:30:08 AM

Yeah. Too bad ten dozen people didn't die because it, otherwise we'd have to endure "real people" commercials saying how they look like more expensive cars and comparing them to mullets.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Tave

Offer is signed and returned. They give you two options for payment: check at closing or a 3-day direct deposit. I originally planned on taking the check and scheduling delivery on my new ride for the following day, figured I could just cab it overnight. Now they're telling me that choosing direct deposit allows you to select a much sooner return date so I went with that. I guess I need to either move some funds around or figure out what I'm going to do for the three days without a car. *Sigh*

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on December 12, 2016, 05:30:08 AM

Yeah but I feel like they've done a decent job protecting consumers. Good class actions don't always result in good settlements for the class members. I still kinda wish they had pushed for full buybacks + restitution instead of pre-scandal KBBV + restitution, but I think that probably had more to do with trying to treat the various plaintiffs fairly. The mileage adjustment is bogus either way but it's not large-enough to worry about.

I thought of joining one of the local suits around here because our state law provides for treble-damages on unfair and deceptive trade practice claims, but ultimately didn't want to deal with the bullshit I go through at work in my spare time.

When all the dust settles, I'll have gotten a free car for a couple years minus the cost of taxes and registration, which isn't bad at all.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Tave on December 12, 2016, 02:21:45 PM
When all the dust settles, I'll have gotten a free car for a couple years minus the cost of taxes and registration, which isn't bad at all.

:rockon:
Will

Tave

Ugh, guess the turnaround time for the appointment scheduling isn't that hot.

January 18th, so I've got about a month to decide on what I want.

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 14, 2016, 01:11:48 PM
Are you 100% committed to buying new?

Gotsta. I put 20K+/year on it driving all over the state for the jerb, can't roll the dice on availability and out-of-pocket repairs.

veeman

They're still reviewing my documents.  Been that way for almost two months.  I just garaged my Beetle about a month ago.  Hadn't changed the oil in 20,000 miles, the radiator is bent from a small accident, and my tires are bald so I didn't want to chance anything from getting my payout.  As long as the car runs, I can turn it in.

Tave

Quote from: veeman on December 14, 2016, 04:49:41 PM
They're still reviewing my documents.  Been that way for almost two months.  I just garaged my Beetle about a month ago.  Hadn't changed the oil in 20,000 miles, the radiator is bent from a small accident, and my tires are bald so I didn't want to chance anything from getting my payout.  As long as the car runs, I can turn it in.

:lockedup:

Call them out on that bullshit. Every time I complained on the hotline or the website's live-chat my claim would just magically move onto the next step a few days later. 

If that doesn't work try resubmitting your documents with pics from your phone. They had my scanned PDF docs for over a month, and kept refusing to switch me from the modification to the buyback until they finished the review. Finally I got them to reset the whole claim, resubmitted my license and registration with phone pics, and it was done in 10 days. You can update/substitute your docs without resetting everything like I did if you want to keep your selection.

Like I mentioned earlier, wouldn't surprise me at all if they were purposefully moving slow to save themselves some cash. Even just a $10 mileage penalty/car would amount to an $80 million dollar savings over their projections. Great for you that you're covered from those shenanigans.  :cheers:

I think I'll be safe--I'm gone for 8 days starting next week and the last half of Dec/first half of Jan is always my dead time, so I won't put much extra on it this next month.

veeman

Quote from: Tave on December 14, 2016, 06:43:21 PM
:lockedup:

Call them out on that bullshit. Every time I complained on the hotline or the website's live-chat my claim would just magically move onto the next step a few days later. 

If that doesn't work try resubmitting your documents with pics from your phone. They had my scanned PDF docs for over a month, and kept refusing to switch me from the modification to the buyback until they finished the review. Finally I got them to reset the whole claim, resubmitted my license and registration with phone pics, and it was done in 10 days. You can update/substitute your docs without resetting everything like I did if you want to keep your selection.

Like I mentioned earlier, wouldn't surprise me at all if they were purposefully moving slow to save themselves some cash. Even just a $10 mileage penalty/car would amount to an $80 million dollar savings over their projections. Great for you that you're covered from those shenanigans.  :cheers:

I think I'll be safe--I'm gone for 8 days starting next week and the last half of Dec/first half of Jan is always my dead time, so I won't put much extra on it this next month.

Yeah, thanks, you're right.  I should call them.  I know they've reviewed them once and needed some clarification on a document so I scanned them another copy about 2 weeks ago so I know I'm in the queue somewhere.  I have a three car garage and only use two of them with the other spot used for trash cans, bikes, lawnmower, snowblower - so I just shoved my Beetle into the third spot (it doesn't take a lot of room.)  I'm still paying insurance though on it and Connecticut town tax but overall it's not costing me too much.  I might downgrade my auto insurance on it to save me some money.   

Galaxy

Did you remove all of the parts from the car before you returned it? Apparently the agreement states that the car has to be "running order" only. Some people are returning this:

He took out things like the radio as well. The VW dealer did not complain. Apparently the guy is now pissed that he did not remove the doors as well.  :lol:

I wonder if a car running on two cylinders would still constitute as "running."  :hmm:

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Galaxy on December 15, 2016, 03:53:03 PM
Did you remove all of the parts from the car before you returned it? Apparently the agreement states that the car has to be "running order" only. Some people are returning this:

He took out things like the radio as well. The VW dealer did not complain. Apparently the guy is now pissed that he did not remove the doors as well.  :lol:

I wonder if a car running on two cylinders would still constitute as "running."  :hmm:

Since the dealer can't do anything with the cars anyways, I doubt they'd care.

Will they run without the turbo?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Tave

I think the exact requirements are "drive to a dealership under its own power," and "without a salvage title."

I got rear-ended today by another attorney in the courthouse parking garage; didn't do any damage which was a little disappointing because I was so prepared for a "Merry Christmas you filthy animal!" like nobody's business.

Payman

"Operable" means that a vehicle so described can be driven under its own 2.0-liter TDI engine power. A vehicle is not Operable if it had a branded title of "Assembled," "Dismantled," "Flood," "Junk," "Rebuilt," "Reconstructed," or "Salvaged" as of September 18, 2015, and was acquired by any person or entity from a junkyard or salvaged after September 18, 2015.

Looks like you can turn in a completely stripped car, if the branded title is none of the above. VW was really stupid here (again), and they deserve to have cars turned in like this.

CALL_911

Shit I need a new cargo cover for my car, I wish I had a friend with a Golf TDI abt to be turned in.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

r0tor

I know my neighbor is pretty pissed.  He thought his deal was going through in October, bought a new truck that had a massive incentive option he couldn't pass up thinking he was going to get the money for his car within a week...

Well, it's been over 2 months and his Jetta is still in his driveway and he is making truck payments b that he wasn't planning on doing
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

ifcar

Quote from: CALL_911 on December 20, 2016, 12:19:56 AM
Shit I need a new cargo cover for my car, I wish I had a friend with a Golf TDI abt to be turned in.

Maybe eBay is about to be flooded with some low-priced options.