TDI fades into regulatory oblivion; Enter Miata

Started by Tave, February 24, 2013, 02:15:38 PM

Tave

Hmm, well as much fun as it might be to peel out a 30-footer when the mood strikes, about all it takes to make me happy is that little exit-wriggle that lets you know you're nipping at the limit.

It looks like Mazda's website has current pricing on the dealer inventories (showing lower pricing than the dealers' websites). They're advertising 26.2K for the Sport, 29.6K for the Club, and 31-31.2 for the GT. I assume there's some downward movement there given the season and the fact that the 2017 model will be arriving in a month or two, but I assume the relative pricing difference will hold: $3,400 to step up to the Club and about $5,000 for the top model.

If I can justify the price increase I'd be fine swinging either. Right now I'm trying to decide which is the best tradeoff for comfort: unheated cloth seats for our hot muggy summers, or heated leather for the mild but chilly winters. They've got some tan interiors available within a 100 mile radius but if I have them yank one from another dealer I'll be stuck with that model. Right now there's a pretty good availability of exterior colors on the GT at the dealerships I would physically buy at, but they are all black interiors.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

MrH

Base clubs that MSRP for $29.6k can be had for closer to $26k.  When the 2017s hit, the value drops a few grand easily.  They've got 2017s sitting at port, and like 5 months of supply on hand.  They'll start getting desperate soon.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Tave

I'll be putting a good chunk down (1/3-1/2) but will likely finance the remainder through the dealer/Mazda. Think they'd be willing to negotiate?

I'd go through a bank but they seem to be offering worse rates than the manufacturers.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

MrH

Quote from: Tave on January 16, 2017, 08:56:16 AM
I'll be putting a good chunk down (1/3-1/2) but will likely finance the remainder through the dealer/Mazda. Think they'd be willing to negotiate?

I'd go through a bank but they seem to be offering worse rates than the manufacturers.

Go to your local credit union.  Get pre-approved at a competitive rate before even stepping in.  I use USAA for all my auto stuff, and refuse to even talk financing with the dealer until a final price is agreed upon.  It just gives them another avenue to try and weasel some more money from you.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Tave

Ugh, I might give it a shot. My coworker just went through his credit union to purchase his wife's new ride and his rate was noticeably worse than the last dealer rate I received. It was also for a CPO car, but I've seen the advertised rates of all the local depositories and it's all in-line.

There's probably a 50% chance I go through all that work only to come out a point-and-a-half or more worse with ~2K cash saved, which is essentially a wash over the life of the loan.

Back in the day when interests rates were always lower at the bank it made sense to go that route to also negotiate on top of it, but when manufacturers started offering 0-2% financing it's pretty tempting to just knock it out at the same place.

MrH

If $2k is considered a wash to you, go in without a loan :lol:  That's a free $2k in my mind.  That's nearly the price difference between a sport and a club for free.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Tave

Quote from: MrH on January 16, 2017, 09:21:14 AM
If $2k is considered a wash to you, go in without a loan :lol:  That's a free $2k in my mind.  That's nearly the price difference between a sport and a club for free.

That's not quite what I'm saying. My down payment will be the same regardless of how much I borrow. That extra 2K, or whatever it would come out to be, will be borrowed money either way.

For example, there's an inflection point at which a 18K loan at a higher rate will cost you more to service than it saves you in principle compared to a 20K loan at a lower rate.

Even if it's not, there's a certain value in my time in terms of in not spending my week at or on the phone with the bank setting everything up that may or may not be worth a couple hundred bucks ammortized over 3-4 years.

Tave

I get what you're saying though it's the smarter way to buy just takes some more effort.

Think if I brought them 30K for a GT out-the-door they'd make it happen?

Tave

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 15, 2017, 07:25:02 PM
You need to adjust your LSD so it doesn't lock up under engine braking.

I think it's 1.5 way so it locks up halfway under decel. A little bit of rotation is nice upon turn in.

Quote from: Tave on January 16, 2017, 09:53:26 AM
I get what you're saying though it's the smarter way to buy just takes some more effort.

How many GTs do they have on the lot?

Also, FWIW on the NC, people hate the leather. It aged like shit and is pretty crappy in quality. I sold my cloth driver seat to a guy who was swapping his leather interior to a cloth one. I'm not sure how the ND is but that might be something to keep in mind.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Tave

Quote from: Cookie Monster on January 16, 2017, 10:16:02 AM
I think it's 1.5 way so it locks up halfway under decel. A little bit of rotation is nice upon turn in.

How many GTs do they have on the lot?

Also, FWIW on the NC, people hate the leather. It aged like shit and is pretty crappy in quality. I sold my cloth driver seat to a guy who was swapping his leather interior to a cloth one. I'm not sure how the ND is but that might be something to keep in mind.

4 on the lot here, 4-6 in the next town over.

Almost all manuals too. :rockon:

12,000 RPM

Is the Keffer up by me one of the places you're shopping? If so we might have to meet up bro
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 16, 2017, 10:54:36 AM
Is the Keffer up by me one of the places you're shopping? If so we might have to meet up bro

I bought my TDI from them! Unfortunately they're a little bit out of my range since I won't have a trade-in this time around. I thought about Uber'ing down there--checked out the inventory and they have some red Clubs--but I think I'll probably stick around WS/GSO.

12,000 RPM

Tave

12,000 RPM

I thought you were based out of CLT. Yea that changes things. Puts the difficulty of landing a Fiata in perspective as well.

Tave

Yeah we're a little outta the way, but plenty of Miatas in stick!

30K flat get it done? Anyone....Bueller?

Just remember I'm holding all y'all personally responsible if they turn me away and will track down your car and pee in the gas tank as recompense.

Laconian

Might be good to see what your upfront pricing options are. Does your work offer a X-plan discount plan? Are you a Costco member? With either of those, they just bring out a binder of fixed, Good Deal prices and you are entitled to them with no bullshit. They're a couple hundred dollars from The Best Possible Deal, but it's much less hassle. :lol:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MrH

Quote from: Tave on January 16, 2017, 12:15:27 PM
Yeah we're a little outta the way, but plenty of Miatas in stick!

30K flat get it done? Anyone....Bueller?

Just remember I'm holding all y'all personally responsible if they turn me away and will track down your car and pee in the gas tank as recompense.

$30k to get what done?  You still haven't said what trim level you want :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Tave

Quote from: Laconian on January 16, 2017, 12:32:31 PM
Might be good to see what your upfront pricing options are. Does your work offer a X-plan discount plan? Are you a Costco member? With either of those, they just bring out a binder of fixed, Good Deal prices and you are entitled to them with no bullshit. They're a couple hundred dollars from The Best Possible Deal, but it's much less hassle. :lol:

You sweet, summer child.

My work is an 70 year old office manager writing physical books with an honest-to-goodness typewriter. We aren't on anybody's plan.

:thumbsup:

Good point about Costco I'll have to check whether I'm covered on my parent's plan (guessing not).

Tave

Quote from: MrH on January 16, 2017, 12:38:51 PM
$30k to get what done?  You still haven't said what trim level you want :lol:

Quote from: Tave on January 16, 2017, 09:53:26 AM

Laconian

Email a Mazda dealer some towns over, tell them your terms, then start a bidding war for your business.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Payman

Better get it done before the King's 35% tariff takes effect.

MrH

Quote from: Tave on January 16, 2017, 12:41:22 PM

Out the door includes tax title and everything?  I don't know what your state charges for all of that.  Sounds possible.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Tave

Quote from: MrH on January 16, 2017, 03:40:29 PM
Out the door includes tax title and everything?

Yup, all-inclusive.

QuoteI don't know what your state charges for all of that.

It's a 3% sales tax earmarked for highway use, ~$150 to the DMV, and then whatever doc/admin fees the dealer tries to add onto it. I estimated earlier $1000-$1500 total.

QuoteSounds possible.

It'd be ~$2500-3000 off the DSRP, which is currently crossed out on their website. They've got 6 MT Miatas on the lot that haven't moved in the 3 months I've been checking their inventory.

Too high? I don't want to play games with them, spend a bunch of time going back and forth with my bank, or screw with different dealers. I haven't mentioned yet but I'll have full-time access to someone else's car for two-weeks afterwards, so while I've got some room to play with, I'd prefer not to have to drive it for more than a couple days and this weekend.

MrH

$2500 off MSRP is cake. You can get that just through truecar. I'd want to do a lot better than that :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

68_427

I think Mike is saying paypal him $26k and he'll get you the Miata you want.  Mike is getting a hard-on just thinking about negotiating with the 20 dealers between you and him
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

Rich

Quote from: 68_427 on January 16, 2017, 10:41:10 PM
I think Mike is saying paypal him $26k and he'll get you the Miata you want.  Mike is getting a hard-on just thinking about negotiating with the 20 dealers between you and him

:lol:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Lebowski

Is there a Miata forum that has dealers present?  That's how I found the dealer I ordered the M3 from. When I ordered the C6 there were dealers on Corvette forum that had some pretty attractive prices as well.

MrH

Meh, I'm just weighing the cost of what I want to put into the S2k vs what a new ND costs.  Dealer desperation is going to hit full force in February when they're still sitting on 6 months of inventory of 2016s.

Quote from: Lebowski on January 17, 2017, 08:39:04 AM
Is there a Miata forum that has dealers present?  That's how I found the dealer I ordered the M3 from. When I ordered the C6 there were dealers on Corvette forum that had some pretty attractive prices as well.

Not really.  The miata forum is largely old men with zero taste.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited