TDI fades into regulatory oblivion; Enter Miata

Started by Tave, February 24, 2013, 02:15:38 PM

12,000 RPM

I don't think the ND is a worthy trade for the S2K. I guess its a matter of trading ~500lb for like 100HP. That's a LOT
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

s2k is classic, keep it no matter what.

Miatas are plentiful, could always find one later.
Will

Payman

You'll never lose money on the S2000, as long as you keep the rice off it.

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Cookie Monster

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 17, 2017, 08:42:20 AM
I don't think the ND is a worthy trade for the S2K. I guess its a matter of trading ~500lb for like 100HP. That's a LOT

500 lb is a lot, especially when the ND with bolt ons and a tune gets like ~180whp (probably more seeing as Goodwin got 190), which puts it within spitting distance of the S2K.

That being said, I'd keep the S2K as well. :lol:
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Tave

A'ight.

Turned in the TDI a couple hours ago. No mileage penalty.

Evidently VW doesn't make any adjustments for the 2 month lag time between offers and appointments. In other words, after I get my funds, which will take a few days longer than they originally stated, I then have to contact VWcredit to get reimbursed for the amount I overpaid on my loan.  :banghead:

Thanks to Mike for the Truecar reference--I'd never heard of them before this thread but seems like a decent enough-service, and I get some sort of consideration for being an American Express customer. They're suppose to send me pricing on a red GT in the next day or two.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Tave

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 18, 2017, 06:21:16 PM
I still want a TDI. I hate seeing all of them get destroyed
:cry:

If they can iron-out their emissions modification fix they'll turn around and start re-selling them and you might be able to pick one up on the cheap.

Just don't buy mine it was 2K overdue for an oil change and 4K overdue for its 40,000 mile service.  :mask:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

I gave it the 'ol Italian tune-up on the drive to the dealer though so it's all good. Farewell old friend!

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Tave on January 18, 2017, 06:32:44 PM
If they can iron-out their emissions modification fix they'll turn around and start re-selling them and you might be able to pick one up on the cheap.

Just don't buy mine it was 2K overdue for an oil change and 4K overdue for its 40,000 mile service.  :mask:

That would actually be cool to have a sudden surge of used/B-stock TDIs on the market.

Raza

Quote from: Tave on January 18, 2017, 06:15:59 PM
A'ight.

Turned in the TDI a couple hours ago. No mileage penalty.

Evidently VW doesn't make any adjustments for the 2 month lag time between offers and appointments. In other words, after I get my funds, which will take a few days longer than they originally stated, I then have to contact VWcredit to get reimbursed for the amount I overpaid on my loan.  :banghead:

Thanks to Mike for the Truecar reference--I'd never heard of them before this thread but seems like a decent enough-service, and I get some sort of consideration for being an American Express customer. They're suppose to send me pricing on a red GT in the next day or two.

So you had to turn in your car before you got your money?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Tave

Quote from: Raza  on January 18, 2017, 06:48:37 PM
So you had to turn in your car before you got your money?

Yeah, they'll cut you a check but claim it takes 1-2 months longer to schedule that appointment. This is in addition to the 1+ month they made me wait between when they approved me and when they allowed me to return mine. All the while they dock your settlement if you go over certain miles.  :wtf:

Lebowski

Is there a post here explaining here how the buyout worked ... was it much above say Kelly blue book?

Apologies if this a "Dave, what color did you get?" type question.

Tave

No there's no summary post and it goes back a long way. The process kinda evolved over time the further along it went. Briefly here's what happened for me:

-VW recalls my car in the Spring of '15 for an ECU reflash
-That August the scandal hits, over the next few months they start sending owners literature and soliciting potential claims through the "Goodwill Program"
-In November-ish they send me a $500 debit card and $500 VW dealer card
-They continue sending literature sporadically and pushing back the start date back.
-Summer 2016 they create the online portal and solicit claims for real. They give owners two options: 1) buyback at pre-scandal KBB value + restitution; or, 2) modification + restitution
-At this point no claims are processed beyond initial info and preferences
-Start date is pushed back and back and back
-Eventually portal opens, but they can't service the volume, most experience huge delays
-VW informs owners that those who selected option 2 will not be paid, if at all, until a modification is actually developed. If one isn't developed by 2018, VW will force the owner to sell it back (and levy the mileage penalty)
-My claim is stalled out in October and I'd originally selected option 2, so I request VW reset my claim in early November and I resubmit under option 1
-End of November VW processes my claim and starts "generating their offer" :wtf:
-Second week of December I get the settlement offer. I sign and scan it immediately.
-Dec 20th they process the offer and allow me to schedule a return appointment. Nowhere within a 100-mile radius had any date before Jan 18th

I've got a buddy with a Sportwagen that is still waiting for them to approve the docs (license and registration) he submitted in October.

Lebowski

Jesus, that's absurd.

Can they really force owners to sell back?

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Tave

Quote from: Lebowski on January 18, 2017, 07:53:49 PM
Jesus, that's absurd.

Can they really force owners to sell back?

I don't know how far they take it after you've already opt-in to the class.

You don't have to opt-in, but you run the risk of your car being ineligible to re-register or unsellable down the road. 

Tave

So I've got a good price (~3500 under MSRP) on a red GT at a nearby dealer. They've got my CC info on hold as a deposit, are pre-approving my financing, and we should be ready to close Monday. Thanks for that truecar reference--I spoke w some of my friends and evidently a couple had used it too.

SJ_GTI

Tave

Quote from: SJ_GTI on January 20, 2017, 03:00:48 PM
Nice. Did you work a deal in person or over the phone?

Over the phone. Just put my contact info in truecar, selected the nearest dealer, and they called/emailed me a few times before giving me a price.

Laconian

Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Tave on January 20, 2017, 02:59:33 PM
So I've got a good price (~3500 under MSRP) on a red GT at a nearby dealer. They've got my CC info on hold as a deposit, are pre-approving my financing, and we should be ready to close Monday. Thanks for that truecar reference--I spoke w some of my friends and evidently a couple had used it too.

:rockon:

Congrats! 
Will

Laconian

Tave

Screw Monday!

Dealer said they'd let me make a partial down on my CC while I'm waiting for my buyback funds. Should have it by tomorrow at noonish.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Tave on January 20, 2017, 07:13:22 PM
Screw Monday!

Dealer said they'd let me make a partial down on my CC while I'm waiting for my buyback funds. Should have it by tomorrow at noonish.

A what, Fiata?

Laconian

Tave

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 20, 2017, 07:16:48 PM
A what, Fiata?

A red Miata: the people's champion.

If the break-in period is short enough I might take a little trip down to Tail of the Dragon on Sunday. :dance:

Laconian

I wonder how well the adaptive cruise control works with stick shifts. I fucking love adaptive cruise but I've only used it in AT cars.