TDI fades into regulatory oblivion; Enter Miata

Started by Tave, February 24, 2013, 02:15:38 PM

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 25, 2017, 05:29:02 AM
Same direction shit is the fascism of the Nord. Down here you get in where you fit in.

:confused:

That's so dangerous at night. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on January 25, 2017, 05:49:39 PM
:confused:

That's so dangerous at night.
Eh its not that bad. Most street parking here is short term (i.e. people park cars in parking lots or driveways to sleep/store), and shit's just not that crowded. Where it is that crowded we line up with the direction of traffic.... but I probably parallel park like twice a month max.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Tave on January 25, 2017, 03:07:53 PM
I have more fun at or under the speed limit in this thing than I ever did doing 20-30 over in the TDI. With that featherweight it just walks away from traffic, and by the time you're up to speed you're so low and glued to the road that it feels like you're doing 20mph faster than the readout.

+1
that's why I want another.
Will

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Tave on January 25, 2017, 03:07:53 PM
I'm a block away from that house grabbing an early dinner, if I get out of here while it's still light I'll try to grab a good pick of them.

Also popped its cherry a few minutes ago--the cop just let me know the tags were still showing up as registered to my V-dub. Better keep my fun under wraps until my new registration comes in the mail!

Not that it really matters: I have more fun at or under the speed limit in this thing than I ever did doing 20-30 over in the TDI. With that featherweight it just walks away from traffic, and by the time you're up to speed you're so low and glued to the road that it feels like you're doing 20mph faster than the readout.

I've actually had to force myself to go faster out of consideration for surrounding traffic when I find myself doing ~5mph under the limit. First time I've ever had that problem!
Sweet! Keep the impressions coming.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

veeman

Tave

As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

FoMoJo

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

Eye of the Tiger

That is some kind of blue-green. Teal, I'd say.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

CaminoRacer

2020 BMW 330i, 1969 El Camino, 2017 Bolt EV

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

AutobahnSHO

Will

Rich

I bought my MINI from flow wayyyy back in 2005  :praise:
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Tave

So I did two round trips of the Dragon yesterday, both starting in NC. First was all the way then I did a shorty to the bridge and back.

Run 1) Absolutely clear, not a single car in front of me and I pass maybe two heading the other direction. At this point, I hadn't driven my car balls-out for any extended period of time, so I take it mostly in third so I can really explore the steering inputs.

Run 2) I'm starting to familiarize myself with how the car likes to be pushed but....Yuck. Miss a couple downshifts; get stuck behind a terrified genesis 4door; finally see some open road; then, screw this noise, some goon in a jacked up Ford towing his buddies' motorcycles decided to take a lap with the empty trailer, and wouldn't yield--sidenote but that should be a capital offense, he knew exactly what he was doing. There is a silver lining on this run though, in between the genesis and pickup I found my tire's limits and started dipping into TC for the first time. Not bad Mazda, not bad at all. It won't let you do a real drift but you can nudge out the tail in second on corner exits and the TC will snap you back in line and shove you forward with the barest whisper of braking and/or throttle interference. Enough to keep you from doing something truly stupid but not enough to slow you down.

Run 3) This is why you come here. A couple hundred yard in I pull up behind an SUV and a Mk7 red GTI pulls behind me a few seconds later. The SUV yields at the first opportunity and then me and the V-dub give it all it's worth. I've got the edge on corner exits and swithbacks but he has it on corner entries and straightaways. For the rest of the run we just fly, he saw me move the back end a little and was smiling at the bridge when we both stopped. I give him a nod and would've stayed to chat but I'm already 2 hours behind schedule and had to return some calls so I decide to jet.

Run 4) About halfway through me and a modified green NB run into a Buick with a handicap placard that refuses to pull over. We take turns leapfrogging each other to the cutoffs so that we're not just glued to the moving roadblock. Ended up in one of the same cutoffs and we talked for a bit before finishing out the day.

In terms of cars it was a little late in the season for most of the exotics, but I saw 4-5 modified NAs and NBs, a bunch of modified mustangs, and a red-on-red dodge viper that looked like the surface of the sun, that thing was HOT.

All the Miatas and the Viper waved at me.  :thumbsup:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

That Genesis was absolutely hilarious. You could tell from behind that the driver wanted to romp on it--all his initial inputs were really direct and purposeful--but the car would just spasm on throttle or mid corner and then you'd watch him try to wrestle it to a standstill so he didn't fly off the road.

Felt so bad for that guy I could see the frustration etched on his face when he let me pass.

Eye of the Tiger

I need to get up there again. So much fun with no traffic.

You could try to keep up with my Versa, or vice versa.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Tave on January 29, 2017, 07:56:49 AM
That Genesis was absolutely hilarious. You could tell from behind that the driver wanted to romp on it--all his initial inputs were really direct and purposeful--but the car would just spasm on throttle or mid corner and then you'd watch him try to wrestle it to a standstill so he didn't fly off the road.

Felt so bad for that guy I could see the frustration etched on his face when he let me pass.

Probably autotragic shifting all over the place

Tave

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on January 29, 2017, 08:14:47 AM
I need to get up there again. So much fun with no traffic.

You could try to keep up with my Versa, or vice versa.

Light FWD is a good recipe there; I couldn't walk away from that GTI and I was working my butt off.

AutobahnSHO

raspberry jelly here. Glad you can enjoy it to the max!!  :mrcool:
Will

Cookie Monster

Nice dude. I really want to drive/ride tail of the dragon at some point.

I also don't like driving twisty roads as much anymore because I know some asshole will be driving slow and won't pull over.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Payman

Cool thing about Miatas, even my old $2000 NA...  Miata drivers wave at each other. All of them, every time. Cool fraternity.

MX793

Quote from: Cookie Monster on January 29, 2017, 03:00:55 PM
Nice dude. I really want to drive/ride tail of the dragon at some point.

I also don't like driving twisty roads as much anymore because I know some asshole will be driving slow and won't pull over.

People seem to be better about that on TotD than other roads I've been on.  Every slower car I got behind pulled off at the first available place.  The guys puttering along on full-dressers, too.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Rockraven on January 29, 2017, 07:09:44 PM
Cool thing about Miatas, even my old $2000 NA...  Miata drivers wave at each other. All of them, every time. Cool fraternity.

That could get annoying. I always figured I'd get a Miata, but maybe I'll go with a Fiat X1/9.

Tave

I've put 2K on it in less than 2 weeks. Everyone needs one of these it makes you feel like a kid, all your attention focused on how sweet it is to be driving.

Screw room, just get one you won't stop smiling.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Tave on January 31, 2017, 06:27:32 PM
I've put 2K on it in less than 2 weeks. Everyone needs one of these it makes you feel like a kid, all your attention focused on how sweet it is to be driving.

Screw room, just get one you won't stop smiling.
Far too refined for my taste.  I'd rather have something with more power, less weight and made a lot of noise. :praise:
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein

Tave

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 31, 2017, 06:30:56 PM
Far too refined for my taste.  I'd rather have something with more power, less weight and made a lot of noise. :praise:

I'm sure I've heard better 4bangers before, but man, if this doesn't have an excellent balance between intake and exhaust and fit the character of the car perfectly, I don't know what does. Between that and all the other "feel fast" factors I've listed, it absolutely seduces you into pushing it and rewards you every step of the way.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Tave on January 31, 2017, 06:38:39 PM
I'm sure I've heard better 4bangers before, but man, if this doesn't have an excellent balance between intake and exhaust and fit the character of the car perfectly, I don't know what does. Between that and all the other "feel fast" factors I've listed, it absolutely seduces you into pushing it and rewards you every step of the way.
For what's available now at a reasonable price range, I'm sure that it's excellent.  I was referring to old school; cars that make your hair stand on end just starting them up.

Tave

I know I'm being mushy and hyperbolic but I can't help it. If this thing blew a gasket and started leaking from the roof tomorrow I'd still sing it's praises. You're paying not-quite-bottom-market prices to feel like Stirling Moss. It tempts you to imagine yourself as a dogfighting pilot. Absolutely incredible. I hope Mazda is making these things 50 years into the future; the world needs a car like this.

FoMoJo

Quote from: Tave on January 31, 2017, 06:44:52 PM
I know I'm being mushy and hyperbolic but I can't help it. If this thing blew a gasket and started leaking from the roof tomorrow I'd still sing it's praises. You're paying not-quite-bottom-market prices to feel like Stirling Moss. It tempts you to imagine yourself as a dogfighting pilot. Absolutely incredible. I hope Mazda is making these things 50 years into the future; the world needs a car like this.
Well, you're going to talk me into taking one for a test drive.  Impressive mention of Stirling Moss.  No one quite like him; and the old bugger's still alive.

Tave

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 31, 2017, 06:41:27 PM
For what's available now at a reasonable price range, I'm sure that it's excellent.  I was referring to old school; cars that make your hair stand on end just starting them up.

That's because you're so old you've lost your hearing!!! :thumbsup:

The art of sound is definitely an under-appreciated in this era. Those old V8s sound sooooo sweet. Nowadays even if you can still get one, they sound neutered in a lot of applications.