Are used cars even worth it anymore?

Started by 280Z Turbo, April 01, 2013, 07:25:24 AM

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: GoCougs on April 01, 2013, 06:58:03 PM
True - there is no victory - only someone looking a bit spiteful and bitter ;).

JESUS, MAN, WE OWN PRETTY MUCH THE SAME CAR. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.

I guess this is why there are no Infinity clubs to speak of.
(Just providing a common enemy so you can unite!)

:lol:

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Lebowski

Used probably makes more sense financially, but by a lesser margin than it has historically due to strong used prices.

Personally, I prefer new and will probably always buy new as its worth it to me ... I just like knowing where it's been, knowing I have a warranty until which point ill know whether the car is a problem, I like optioning the car how I want it and, all that time spent looking for that "pristine" used specimen is time better spent doing something else IMHO.

I do really like where this thread has gone though.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on April 01, 2013, 06:58:03 PM
True - there is no victory - only someone looking a bit spiteful and bitter ;).

JESUS, MAN, WE OWN PRETTY MUCH THE SAME CAR. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU.
You criticize the fuck out of your G all the time and keep claiming that all these problems you keep encountering are somehow very common...when every single G owner I know or have talked to have never had these problems.  You start every post with "The very common..." and it's not.  Anyone reading your posts would think our cars are pieces of shit, when they are anything but.  Your squeaks and rattles could very well be rental related.  That is not meant as a fucking insult, just a possible explanation.  You complain so much about lack of power and the need for shorter gearing that I have no idea how fast you think a 3800 lbs AWD sedan with 328 hp should be.  5.2 seconds isn't fast enough for those specs?  That's pretty quick man.  The way you talk about it, the car is a pig. 

Yeah, we do have relatively the exact same car, but reading your posts you wouldn't know it and maybe I take it a little personally, but I love my car and I take the constant complaining about it....personally.

AutobahnSHO

Will

MrH

Quote from: SVT666 on April 01, 2013, 07:14:25 PM
You criticize the fuck out of your G all the time and keep claiming that all these problems you keep encountering are somehow very common...when every single G owner I know or have talked to have never had these problems.  You start every post with "The very common..." and it's not.  Anyone reading your posts would think our cars are pieces of shit, when they are anything but.  Your squeaks and rattles could very well be rental related.  That is not meant as a fucking insult, just a possible explanation.  You complain so much about lack of power and the need for shorter gearing that I have no idea how fast you think a 3800 lbs AWD sedan with 328 hp should be.  5.2 seconds isn't fast enough for those specs?  That's pretty quick man.  The way you talk about it, the car is a pig. 

Yeah, we do have relatively the exact same car, but reading your posts you wouldn't know it and maybe I take it a little personally, but I love my car and I take the constant complaining about it....personally.

Jesus man, grow up. :facepalm:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

CALL_911

EDIT: I see H has beaten me to it.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Okay, makes complete sense.

280Z Turbo

I guess the real question is, if what I really want is a BRZ/FR-S is a couple thousand bucks of potential savings really enough to compromise?

Also, I may be able to get supplier pricing on either of them.

MrH

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 01, 2013, 08:06:12 PM
I guess the real question is, if what I really want is a BRZ/FR-S is a couple thousand bucks of potential savings really enough to compromise?

They weren't doing supplier pricing on the BRZ when I got mine.  Not sure if they're still excluding them or not.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Rupert

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on April 01, 2013, 02:14:27 PM
When I get a Porsche it will most likely be used. The savings are huge vs a new one.

I saved about $15k. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Laconian

After the Cougsocalpyse and accompanying hyperinflation, you'll be able to sell it for a quadrillion dollar profit.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Laconian on April 01, 2013, 09:08:31 PM
After the Cougsocalpyse and accompanying hyperinflation, you'll be able to sell it for a quadrillion dollar profit.

Yeah, but if you wait too long it will be worth 450 "new dollars".

(We really got a "new peso" here back in the early nineties that was 1000x of the older, regular peso!)
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on April 01, 2013, 09:08:31 PM

And then I will save it for when it all crashes and I will be a quadrillionaire!

Or something.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

CALL_911

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on April 01, 2013, 08:06:12 PM

Only you know whether its a financially wise decision to buy an FRS, but if it is and you want one badly, do it man.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SVT666 on April 01, 2013, 03:41:49 PM
If you want a Honda, then buy new.  If you want anything else buy used.

If they still made the S2000 or a decent Si, that would make sense.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on April 01, 2013, 11:56:11 PM
If they still made the S2000 or a decent Si, that would make sense.

He's right though; late model Hondas generally hold their value comedically well. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  on April 02, 2013, 04:35:19 AM
He's right though; late model Hondas generally hold their value comedically well.
It's disgusting.  A buddy of mine bought a brand new Civic Si because 3 year old ones were going for just a few grand less than a new one.  There were several going for the same price as a new one even.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on April 03, 2013, 06:48:37 AM
It's disgusting.  A buddy of mine bought a brand new Civic Si because 3 year old ones were going for just a few grand less than a new one.  There were several going for the same price as a new one even.

And at the same time, used Civic Sis are a bargain compared to used RSX-Ss!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i