Laconian

Quote from: afty on April 12, 2013, 02:22:06 PM
Congrats!
Did you drive his? ;)

Oh wait, you drove one at work already. :shakesfist:
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

red_shift

Quote from: MrH on April 12, 2013, 01:20:57 PM
Awesome!  Congrats, red shift!  As much as I rag on Tesla for the loan situation, they made one hell of a car.  Glad you're enjoying it!

Thanks. They stated they are going to pay back at an accelerated rate.

Going by the allergy to govt loans in some members on this board, I am glad I did not approach govt funding for my budding product, and went straight to the VCs.

Take it from me: it takes a LOT to build , sell products and be successful at it. Money is not the hard part. Sustaining a business is all about the customer  and whether the customer likes your product or not.

It's not as easy as 'oh get the money and build a good product'. It's very very tough to make a business work.

Future is electric

2018 Light Blue wrapped Tesla Model 3
2013 Dark blue Tesla Model S

All electric, no compromises!

Morris Minor

Tesla Motors sparks up first profit

The electric car maker, Tesla, has made the first profit in its 10-year history.

The company said it made $15m (£9.65m) in the first three months of the year, thanks to sales of its Model S electric sedan. Total revenues hit $562m, a huge rise on the $30m reported a year ago.
More...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22459631
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

GoCougs

Tesla had $68MM in revenue came from selling carbon credits (i.e., without the government program they'd be in the red).

red_shift

Cougs, they also said that going forward, the credits will decline, and that they won't be counting on that revenue.

I hope you didn't believe in your own hoopla and short TSLA, coz a lot of what you write resembles the shorties writing on one of the stock monkey sites.

Just kidding. I hope you did. And I hope you hurt. ;-)

Future is electric

GoCougs

Quote from: red_shift on May 10, 2013, 11:35:03 AM
Cougs, they also said that going forward, the credits will decline, and that they won't be counting on that revenue.

I hope you didn't believe in your own hoopla and short TSLA, coz a lot of what you write resembles the shorties writing on one of the stock monkey sites.

Just kidding. I hope you did. And I hope you hurt. ;-)

Uh, sure they'll count it as revenue - they'll have to. And I wouldn't brag about that even if they c/would - given the slim (manipulated) 2% net they'll need that "revenue" to continue to show black. If/when they can show black without carbon credits I'm all primed and ready to carry on about the vastly below market terms of the government loans  :devil:.

Do you know how shorting works? One doesn't get "hurt" simply because the stock gains. But I didn't short it. I think one would be crazy to. Being in effect government sponsored predictability is somewhere between zero and none.

red_shift

You wuss!

All this talk, but you can't put your money where your mouth is!
Future is electric

GoCougs

Quote from: red_shift on May 10, 2013, 02:31:53 PM
You wuss!

All this talk, but you can't put your money where your mouth is!

But didn't you lease your Model S?

red_shift

Leasing was not available when I bought it. Wouldn't have bought it even if it weren't.

Why are you asking me, no balls pussy?
Future is electric

GoCougs

Quote from: red_shift on May 10, 2013, 05:26:30 PM
Leasing was not available when I bought it. Wouldn't have bought it even if it weren't.

Why are you asking me, no balls pussy?

Did you finance the purchase?

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on May 10, 2013, 05:57:43 PM

Ugh, I sense another senseless rant coming about how nobody should finance cars or have mortgages.

red_shift

Quote from: TurboDan on May 10, 2013, 11:02:14 PM
Ugh, I sense another senseless rant coming about how nobody should finance cars or have mortgages.
Did

Have you had a lobotomy?
Future is electric

Raza

I'm seeing more and more of these everyday.  They're commonplace now.  I see more Tesla Ss than 7 series (doesn't mean much, I see more Lamborghinis than 7s).  It is a good looking car, inasmuch as any car built with current regulations can be good looking (though behind the more handsome Audi line, it's better looking than anything BMW has currently and most of what Mercedes makes).  I even saw one on the highway the other day, the crazy fool! 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on May 11, 2013, 06:51:45 AM
I'm seeing more and more of these everyday.  They're commonplace now.  I see more Tesla Ss than 7 series (doesn't mean much, I see more Lamborghinis than 7s).  It is a good looking car, inasmuch as any car built with current regulations can be good looking (though behind the more handsome Audi line, it's better looking than anything BMW has currently and most of what Mercedes makes).  I even saw one on the highway the other day, the crazy fool! 

There's a dealer in King of Prussia, right? That would explain a lot in the Philly area. We don't have a dealer in southern NJ yet but I'm starting to see them in this area a lot more frequently anyway. They're beautiful cars that aren't gaudy and overstyled. Someone got the design nailed down perfectly on these.

red_shift

What the.... Where do you live? Beverly
Quote from: TurboDan on May 11, 2013, 09:16:00 AM
There's a dealer in King of Prussia, right? That would explain a lot in the Philly area. We don't have a dealer in southern NJ yet but I'm starting to see them in this area a lot more frequently anyway. They're beautiful cars that aren't gaudy and overstyled. Someone got the design nailed down perfectly on these.

They had to get the looks right. Otherwise they'd be dead by now already.
Some magazine has done an intricate study of the DWB suspension of the Model S. they came to the conclusion that the engineering was top notch, and a bit over-engineered, since this is the first car that is mass market from Tesla, and they did not want to f this up in

I am planning a trip to San Diego in summer in my Tesla.
It's not as hard as you think, especially in California.

On a side note, went to Big Basin the other day. It was great. On my way back, we took the super super windy and narrow highway 9 back. The experience was surreal. This big heavy sedan was twirling like a ballet dancer on the way up to the summit. Silent, more tossable and lithe than my erstwhile BMW 325i, and almost made me feel like superman flying slow and low to the ground up the hills. At the summit, as we all came back from a short hike to collect wildflowers, a nice couple in a Ford 500 waited. The guy says, I waited for you to come back, and went on a 10 minutes quest to find everything about the car. They said they are going to buy it.

Oh, I gained 17 miles on the way down. (10 miles driven plus 7 extra due to regen) :-)

This is the car I have been searching for since that day when I decided the patented BMW feline growl was pointless and a bit childish. I am sorry if I sound arrogant, but you have to drive this to realize how different and wonderful this car is.
Future is electric

GoCougs

Quote from: TurboDan on May 10, 2013, 11:02:14 PM
Ugh, I sense another senseless rant coming about how nobody should finance cars...

Nah, that's a given and doesn't need to be repeated in detail.

My point is it's comical issuing financial throw-downs in a flurry of insecure Internetry when has done such an unwise thing.

Raza

I'm not sure.  Can't say I ever bothered to look where Tesla dealerships were.  But that would make sense.

Quote from: red_shift on May 11, 2013, 10:26:56 AM
What the.... Where do you live? Beverly

Nope, Philadelphia.  It's just that BMW barely sells any 7s.  I see one everyday, but it's the same one.  Some smoking hot chick at work has one. 

I am planning a trip to San Diego in summer in my Tesla.
It's not as hard as you think, especially in California.

Yeah, but I live in Philadelphia.  The land where flash mob went from something fun and unexpected to a horrific random crime spree, not the land of charging stations!

This is the car I have been searching for since that day when I decided the patented BMW feline growl was pointless and a bit childish. I am sorry if I sound arrogant, but you have to drive this to realize how different and wonderful this car is.

I'll keep my growl. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

red_shift

Quote from: GoCougs on May 11, 2013, 10:59:41 AM
Nah, that's a given and doesn't need to be repeated in detail.

My point is it's comical issuing financial throw-downs in a flurry of insecure Internetry when has done such an unwise thing.

Say what? Try to be coherent, too much lead in your tea.
Future is electric

Laconian

Teslas are more common than new 5 or 7 series in this area. There are at least a dozen in the work parking garage. Selling like hotcakes!

Secret Chimp

What is the single-giant-touchscreen system like after using it for awhile?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Catman

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 11, 2013, 04:02:14 PM
What is the single-giant-touchscreen system like after using it for awhile?

red_shift

Actually, the giant touch screen as well as the instrument cluster screen have reboot modes. I have had to do that once to get rid of a bogus TPMS warning message.

People have reportedly rebooted both screens *while driving* and reported no issues. Not that I'd try that. There seem to be redundant/independant systems that govern the driving functions and the information/control consoles.

Also some folks have 'rooted' the Linux based RTOS. They have not yet figured out how to hack this thing coz it seems to use security features galore.
Future is electric

Laconian

Only a matter of time, given the technical capability of their target demographic.

SVT666

I saw my first Tesla S today.  I can't believe how sexy it is in person.  It almost looks like a different car than the pictures.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: red_shift on May 11, 2013, 10:18:04 PM
Actually, the giant touch screen as well as the instrument cluster screen have reboot modes. I have had to do that once to get rid of a bogus TPMS warning message.

People have reportedly rebooted both screens *while driving* and reported no issues. Not that I'd try that. There seem to be redundant/independant systems that govern the driving functions and the information/control consoles.

Also some folks have 'rooted' the Linux based RTOS. They have not yet figured out how to hack this thing coz it seems to use security features galore.

I meant kind of from a usability standpoint. I had enough bothers trying to use a Touch My Ford whatever screen in a Flex I rented last year, much less something with no buttons for anything.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

red_shift

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 11, 2013, 11:15:59 PM
I meant kind of from a usability standpoint. I had enough bothers trying to use a Touch My Ford whatever screen in a Flex I rented last year, much less something with no buttons for anything.

It's actually better at accomplishing some things, worse for others. Overall, I find I like it, but wish there were 1-2 dedicated hard buttons. (Sunroof, media source switching come to mind) It also has a web browser, but both HTML5 and Flash video playback is disabled. Regular surfing is not disabled at any time. Capacitive touch screen response is very good, AT&T 3G speed is not. Touch experience is actually on par with the iPad.

There is no off button for the display. I usually load a dark web page from teslatap.com for that. A fix is reportedly in the works, as is an SDK for developers and an App Store for skins, car apps and other junk.

Future is electric

Laconian

Is there still a milky glow coming from the dark web page?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Laconian on May 11, 2013, 01:59:49 PM
Teslas are more common than new 5 or 7 series in this area. There are at least a dozen in the work parking garage. Selling like hotcakes!

But isn't Google also dabbling in the e-car market? That could skew things a little from your perspective.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Laconian

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 12, 2013, 02:56:12 PM
But isn't Google also dabbling in the e-car market? That could skew things a little from your perspective.

It has nothing to do with the self-driving car initiative; that's done on a different campus by a secretive blue-sky R&D group; it might as well be a different company. It has mega geek chic appeal, it's practical, and its looks outclass practically everything under $200k (IMO).

I mean, compare the Model S to the next melty-butt Mercedes S-class.

No comparison even when you don't look at the melty S-class butt.

Soup DeVille

OK. I wasn't saying its a bad car: I just rarely see any of them: well, the one: but that one was parked at Magna e-car and I assume was there for some sort of business purpose.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator