Subaru throttle woes

Started by AutobahnSHO, April 18, 2013, 06:44:18 PM

AutobahnSHO

So heading to work this morning, cruise on at about 50mph, get a rough lurch. And another. So I turn off cruise and at steady throttle get a couple more.  I debated going to work or the garage, decided garage and as I get there the CEL is on.

$100 diagnosis later and they tell me the Throttle Position Sensor is bad. Would cost $260 for them to replace it.
-and should get new tires (plus alignment)
-and flush the brakelines (copper in the fluid)
-and get the coolant pressure checked (a little low)  (i haven't checked it since the motor was replaced in November)

So I go to Autozone and TPS is $95, replace in a couple minutes. Drive home, still lurched a little but not as bad a couple times. Check the codes, TPS is there. So I cleared codes and will have to drive it, check it out. Planned on disconnecting the battery to reset the computer, too.

SIGH ARGH I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH I DIDN'T NEED THIS GRIEF RIGHT NOW.   Anything else I should do with it???
Will

93JC

Secret Chimp

I think usually you have to clock or calibrate TPSs, you can't just throw them in there. You usually have to turn them so a certain voltage is registered when the throttle is closed/wide open.

Also the coolant pressure is a little low? What?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Secret Chimp on April 18, 2013, 09:27:32 PM
I think usually you have to clock or calibrate TPSs, you can't just throw them in there. You usually have to turn them so a certain voltage is registered when the throttle is closed/wide open.

Also the coolant pressure is a little low? What?

Ok, so time to read the book. :facepalm:

Coolant- I never bother to check, never have any leaks.
Motor was replaced with a "low mileage" in November, he did the waterpump, plugs/wires, t-belt, etc... just like it was a major overhaul. Dunno how much he used from MY old engine though. :huh:
Will

AutobahnSHO

AS. USUAL. =   THANKS GUYS!

So I took off part of the intake and cleaned the throttle out, but more importantly, adjusted the sensor.  Haynes manual didn't help much, so I used the highly scientific method of letting it run- and adjusting tiny amounts slowly. The idle was really high unless I got it somewhere in the middle- weirdly enough it went high whether I went a tiny bit clockwise or counter-clockwise..

Seemed to run just fine in to work at various speeds and with/without cruise..      *fingers crossed*
Will

Speed_Racer

You can flush the brake fluid yourself (with a friend to open and close the bleed valves).

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Speed_Racer on April 19, 2013, 11:10:33 AM
You can flush the brake fluid yourself (with a friend to open and close the bleed valves).

Mityvac. $20 of fun and ease.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.