Mk7 VW GTI

Started by MrH, April 28, 2013, 02:35:30 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on February 06, 2014, 04:04:10 PM
Has the new Range Rover taught us nothing?  I was hoping the idea of locking differentials and solid axles as a requirement for "off-road credentials" was dead.

Land Rovers, the old gnarly ones with "off road cred?"

They never had locking diffs.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: CALL_911 on February 07, 2014, 01:44:57 AM
It is, but "jumping on a bandwagon" and capitalizing on a good idea are not mutually exclusive

Yeah, there's nothing wrong here.  I mean, Volkswagen is making an effort in the US market, instead of just selling some things here.  And while they're leaving a lot of people behind, they're getting a lot, lot more new VW people.  My friends would never even have considered the old Passat, but bought the new one because they drove it and loved it.  They're not car people.  They're not the people who would ever have looked at Volkswagen.  They've only ever had Japanese cars.  Now, my friends are building loyalty to VW like they never would have before.  His wife now wants to buy a Tiguan.  Take my other friend for a different example.  He has a B6 Passat.  Loves it.  Can't stand the new one.  What's the top contender for his next car?  GTI.  That's right.  He's staying with Volkswagen, but wants the smaller, sportier GTI over the newer car. 

Point here is that as long as Volkswagen continues to make cars for enthusiasts, it's a good thing that they make cars for everyone else too.  It's how business is done.  This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.  As long as they don't completely abandon people who like to drive, there's nothing to really complain about. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Catman

Quote from: Madman on February 07, 2014, 07:50:24 AM

Yes it does!  Please tell me it's coming here?

Yes, in 2014 soon.  Alltrack too.

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 07, 2014, 08:00:36 AM

Well, this mindset that you have to have solid axles and locking differentials to off-road at all is pretty silly.  The new Range Rover sends torque around to the appropriate wheel, raises itself up with air suspension.  It's pretty damn capable without that stuff and is actually pleasant to drive on roads too.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT32V

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 07, 2014, 08:00:36 AM

Neither did a CJ or YJ, however, they all (defender, 190 what have you) had lockable low range center differential and I would argue that they were modded to really have off-road prowess.

SVT32V

Quote from: MrH on February 07, 2014, 08:20:57 AM

Well, this mindset that you have to have solid axles and locking differentials to off-road at all is pretty silly.  The new Range Rover sends torque around to the appropriate wheel, raises itself up with air suspension.  It's pretty damn capable without that stuff and is actually pleasant to drive on roads too.

Strawman on the solid axles, and it really depends on the offroading and the price of the vehicles. Solid axles are certainly going to be better for rock crawling (among others) against all but the most expensive independent suspension systems.

Comparing a very expensive range rover with a sophisticated awd system against your avg awd SUV/CUV isn't really a reasonable comparison. Nonetheless it still retains a 2 spd transfer case that can be locked, so your range rover argument really doesn't hold water.

Secret Chimp

Wtf is everyone talking about? I thought this was a GTI thread.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

SVT666

Quote from: SVT32V on February 07, 2014, 01:54:27 PM
Strawman on the solid axles, and it really depends on the offroading and the price of the vehicles. Solid axles are certainly going to be better for rock crawling (among others) against all but the most expensive independent suspension systems.

Comparing a very expensive range rover with a sophisticated awd system against your avg awd SUV/CUV isn't really a reasonable comparison. Nonetheless it still retains a 2 spd transfer case that can be locked, so your range rover argument really doesn't hold water.
Independent suspension doesn't have the articulation either. 

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Secret Chimp on February 11, 2014, 10:13:57 AM
Wtf is everyone talking about? I thought this was a GTI thread.

CarSpin threads.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

MrH

Quote from: SVT32V on February 07, 2014, 01:54:27 PM

And the Cayenne has a 1st gear lower than most low speed differentials.

I'm just making the point that you don't need solid axles or a transfer case to have off-road credentials.  Just a bunch of non-sense.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SVT32V on February 07, 2014, 01:33:41 PM
Neither did a CJ or YJ, however, they all (defender, 190 what have you) had lockable low range center differential and I would argue that they were modded to really have off-road prowess.

No, they never had a center diff.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT32V

Quote from: Soup DeVille on February 11, 2014, 02:34:13 PM
No, they never had a center diff.

Sorry, meant low speed transfer case that locked the front and back.

SVT32V

Quote from: MrH on February 11, 2014, 01:44:11 PM
And the Cayenne has a 1st gear lower than most low speed differentials.

Not sure this helps your argument since you need to multiply the low-speed gear ratio by the 1st gear ratio to get the crawl ratio (obviously the true crawl ratio also includes X axle ratio). So your avg low speed transfer case gear is 2.72. Multiplying that by any 1st gear ratio found in a truck/SUV with a 2 spd tran case is usually going to be much higher (numerically) than 4.68 of the cayenne 1st gear.

I'm just making the point that you don't need solid axles or a transfer case to have off-road credentials.  Just a bunch of non-sense.

No you don't the H1 has an independent suspension with reasonable articulation, of course at a high price. Overall though these things (SA and transfer case) correlate with better creds, it is not nonsense no matter how many times you repeat it.

GoCougs

IMO live axles and lockable t-case have "creds" simply because the vast majority of 4WD vehicles used to any meaningful degree off road today; those from the '70s, '80s and '90s - Blazers, Broncos, 4Runners, pickups (and even then by the '80s a lot of those had IFS); were built that way (and those are the parts available in the aftermarket for custom rims) because it was dirt cheap. I can't think of any HD 4WD off road IRS + IFS vehicles built in that time period available to the regular guy (Hummer H1, Lambo LM002).

AltinD

Quote from: SVT32V on February 06, 2014, 03:20:48 PM
The cayenne has 500+hp engines, when the toureg has that, I will be more of a fan.

But the 1st gen Touareg had a W12 engine with 450 Hp that was faster than the Cayenne Turbo of that era, the reason Porsche had to come with the Cayenne Turbo S  :lol:

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD