Some bitch cut me off!

Started by shp4man, May 17, 2013, 12:19:05 PM

GoCougs

Today I almost got caught in this exact same scenario albeit with a different setup (idiot slowpoke woman merging) and between checking mirrors and watching slowing traffic in front of me I had a moderate close call. Thing is it's impossible to assign blame in these situations. ~20% of drivers are complete idiots and the only real hedge against them, as painful as it is, is to give them space and not make any fast moves in their immediate vicinity.

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on May 20, 2013, 02:44:10 PM
Today I almost got caught in this exact same scenario albeit with a different setup (idiot slowpoke woman merging) and between checking mirrors and watching slowing traffic in front of me I had a moderate close call. Thing is it's impossible to assign blame in these situations. ~20% of drivers are complete idiots and the only real hedge against them, as painful as it is, is to give them space and not make any fast moves in their immediate vicinity.

Sounds similar to my accident.

Lots of traffic at different speeds + changing lanes/merging is a disaster waiting to happen.

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 20, 2013, 02:45:39 PM
Sounds similar to my accident.

Lots of traffic at different speeds + changing lanes/merging is a disaster waiting to happen.

Thing is I had limited time to shoot for the fast moving lane - decided to rely on mirrors rather than a head check, which is not a good idea. Theoretically should have stayed in the current lane and suffer the slowdown and wait for who knows how long for another chance to merge into the fast lane.

Thing is, idiots think they are doing a good thing by going slow(er) when a lot of times that's the worst thing to do. I understand the current traffic enforcement encourages this OMG SLOWER IS SAFER mentality but holy hell it's counterproductive. STAY WITH THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC.

Rupert

Asshole drivers are assholes, but they do help the flow of traffic on the large scale.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

shp4man

I went over lunch today to pick up the fender for the Dodge at the all-truck junkyard. I called them on the phone first, they said they had about ten Dodges in there, even a green one. So I get there and yep, they had ten Dodges. But the only green one was a '97, and that year green was a bit different. Fuck. So I picked out the best, straightest one which was blue,  and also a headlight that could be restored to semi-clarity at least.
$145 bucks later and I'm on my way to hillbilly truck heaven with a "differt colured fendur on the frunt" just like Jed Clampett.  :lol:
I'm thinking of spraying it satin black. :huh:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on May 21, 2013, 03:12:48 PM
$145 bucks later and I'm on my way to hillbilly truck heaven with a "differt colured fendur on the frunt" just like Jed Clampett.  :lol:
I'm thinking of spraying it satin black. :huh:

Rhino liner (or equivalent)...   ;)

For aesthetic's sake you can do the entire lower section all around

Will

shp4man

Nice^^. I was actually thinking of doing the whole truck in camo.  :lol:

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: shp4man on May 24, 2013, 01:28:02 PM
Nice^^. I was actually thinking of doing the whole truck in camo.  :lol:

That works too!   :lol:
Will

Northlands

Quote from: GoCougs on May 20, 2013, 02:44:10 PM

This is my mantra for city driving. I don't trust a lot of drivers so I give ample ample space. I've seen too many rear-ender collisions in my driving days. Many of which I would like to blame car#1 out of the two or three involved, but the blame is never placed on them. I will have none of that crap. I stay far away from anyone exhibiting any kind of unpredictable driving.

- " It's like a petting zoo, but for computers." -  my wife's take on the Apple Store.
2013 Hyundai Accent GLS / 2015 Hyundai Sonata GLS

r0tor

Meh, you cant leave more then a car length between you and the car in front of you in traffic in most cases because as soon as you do, you have an asshat trying to fit in that space... who in most cases will then hit the brakes hard to avoid hitting the person that was just in front of you.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed