TOTAL COMPLETE Fantasy!

Started by AutobahnSHO, May 19, 2013, 10:53:59 AM

AutobahnSHO

SO....
I figure I will milk the Subaru through 2015 as best I can. At that point my financial situation will take a DRAMATIC upswing.  I HOPE to get a new vehicle.

In a perfect world, I'm thinking Miata/BRZ/Mini (or equivalent fun + ok on gas) to drive to work. Would LOVE a convertible.  AND I would need a family hauler. And I'm thinking CAMPING.  Not "frontiersman only what you can fit in a rucksack", but halfway-comfortable camping.
ie TRAILER.  Or RV. But would still need a bigger vehicle for family hauling.

Criteria= pretty okay seating for 6-7, towing, not horrible on gas, reliability, sunroof.

Minivans don't seem to tow much.
Love love love the Ford Flex with super panoramic roof, and it pulls 3000+
But seems the Cx-9, Highlander, and others have the same seating and towing and could work out too!

Opinions??   (remember this is totally NOT happening for 2 years. I suspect I'll buy used at that point anyway, so anything from the 2006-2013range would be good...)
Will

TurboDan

Kia Borrego?

A guy who works in our ad sales department has one. Big SUV, lots of seating, and he drives all over the state with it every day, so I presume it's both comfortable and pretty good on gas.

Atomic

Dodge Durango (Seats up to 7-8)

Mileage should improve for MY14 (a yr. beyond what you stated, though) with the move to an 8-SPD transmission, as with the five seat JGC. Available in choice of 6 and 8 cylinders, RWD and AWD...

veeman

the suvs you mention are all fairly large and fairly comfortable.  none are body on frame.  i think gas mileage would be a non-issue because comparatively, they would all be roughly similar.

when shopping for such an SUV in 2009, i test drove the buick enclave, honda pilot, mazda cx-9, and toyota highlander.  the buick is a fancier version of the chevrolet traverse/gmc acadia.  that model year toyota highlander is noticeably smaller than the others i listed.  it's 3rd row is tiny.  i liked a lot the buick enclave which feels and looks more upscale than the honda or mazda.  its long term reliability is questionable however and not likely to be as good as the honda.  i loved the pilot but you will likely overpay as people charge outrageous prices for used hondas.  i'd get the mazda if I were you if you're not really going to tow anything.  it handles the best, looks pretty good, and you could get a good deal. 

the only problem with the ford flex i see is that i've yet to see a woman who likes the way it looks and you said family hauler.  i dig its looks.  if your significant other is o.k. with it or if that's not an issue for you, you could get a great deal on one as it sold terribly just based on its looks. 

that model year dodge durango looks not so great in my opinion and being body on frame, it's gas mileage sucks.  if you're honestly going to tow anything heavy somewhat regularly especially for long distances, you should stick with body on frame as the other SUVs will not be able to do it.  that model year durango can tow close to 9000 lbs.  the other SUVs I mentioned, not even close.  the 2009 kia borrego 6 cylinder model has a max towing capacity of 5000 lbs while the 8 cylinder can tow 7500 lbs.

if I were you, i'd first buy whatever RV you're going to tow and then decide which SUV to get based on the weight of your RV.  you want your suv to be able to easily tow the RV.