what to do to make your mainstreamer look interesting, but not lame

Started by veeman, May 22, 2013, 01:04:34 PM

S204STi

Quote from: SVT666 on May 23, 2013, 12:50:39 AM
A lowering kit should include different shocks and/or struts as well.

Right, but not all are created equal... and a lot of companies sell just springs, which is a mistake with stock struts.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: S204STi on May 23, 2013, 09:28:41 AM
Right, but not all are created equal... and a lot of companies sell just springs, which is a mistake with stock struts.
Yes.  I originally did that with my Mustang and I knew eight away it was a mistake.  As soon as I replaced the shocks and struts things improved dramatically.

veeman

thanks for all the feedback.

how much ballpark would a lowering kit cost to buy and get installed, if you do it the right way.  i'm not worried about resale as its an older model sonata which is not worth much on the used market.  it has and does serve me well and i plan on keeping it for a while.  it's got 80 thousand on the odometer.  in 6 more years it might have close to 200,000 miles when i'd get a new car and my sonata would really be worth nothing.

i'm most probably not going to do any lowering because i'm 39 and not 19 but i'd consider it.  no, i'm not going to do any of this myself.  better looking stock size rims would be cheap to install.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: MiataJohn on May 22, 2013, 10:44:02 PM
I'd agree with J. Clarkson who has advised more than once to never buy a used car that's been lowered.

No shit, because most people are idiots.
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Eye of the Tiger

Onslaught

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Onslaught on May 23, 2013, 02:04:02 PM
Try putting a really hot girl in the passenger seat.

I knew I was doing it wrong all these years when I kept putting them in the trunk.

Onslaught

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on May 23, 2013, 02:47:57 PM
I knew I was doing it wrong all these years when I kept putting them in the trunk.
You put them in there after you're done with them.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Onslaught on May 23, 2013, 03:51:28 PM
You put them in there after you're done with them.

I untie them from the back seat before I use them.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 23, 2013, 01:39:53 PM
You guys are seriously such hypocrite assholes. Keep talking shit.

I knew it, already we're back at this BS...

Feel like commencing with the shitposting and acting like a baby now so we can get it over with (again)?

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

SVT666

Secret Chimp

Eye of the Tiger

SVT666

No hypocrisy here.  We're saying lower it properly.  Big difference.

Secret Chimp

SVT666

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 23, 2013, 09:19:35 PM
Fuck your donuts. Bring on the hypocrisy.

I missed the part where veeman was making minimum wage, living with friends, and spending his last dime in order to do ad hoc mods on his only real means of transportation.

(In case you misunderstood what the objections to your mods really were)
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Secret Chimp

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Secret Chimp on May 24, 2013, 12:20:36 AM
I'll just take a seat over here and get settled in.

That's all I have to say. I'm tired of his subject, and I can't believe Nick felt obliged to bring it up again.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TurboDan

Quote from: Madman on May 22, 2013, 04:17:15 PM
Gold trim on ANY car looks crass and tacky.  It's about as tasteless as aftermarket padded vinyl roofs.

Pff. Trinidad James would disagree.

#allgoldeverything

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT666 on May 23, 2013, 09:49:15 PM
No hypocrisy here.  We're saying lower it properly.  Big difference.

None of you were talking about lowering a car any more "properly" than I did. You are all on board with this idea that what I did was shitty. I drive my car every fucking day, and it works. I have put over 2000 miles on it delivering pizza on some of the shittiest backwoods roads, and it works. Not just works, but works pretty damn well. I can admit that the rear shocks are a bit weak now, but I never said it was perfect. It wasn't perfect from the factory, either. Everything is a compromise, and I just compromised it in a different direction.
It's just that the very second where I mentioned "cutting springs", you all jumped on it without even having a clue. It's called being an asshole, an ignorant asshole.
So go ahead and keep acting like ignorant assholes. I drive this car every day, so this issue is not going away. You all can pretty much go fuck yourselves.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 24, 2013, 05:08:12 AM
None of you were talking about lowering a car any more "properly" than I did. You are all on board with this idea that what I did was shitty. I drive my car every fucking day, and it works. I have put over 2000 miles on it delivering pizza on some of the shittiest backwoods roads, and it works. Not just works, but works pretty damn well. I can admit that the rear shocks are a bit weak now, but I never said it was perfect. It wasn't perfect from the factory, either. Everything is a compromise, and I just compromised it in a different direction.
It's just that the very second where I mentioned "cutting springs", you all jumped on it without even having a clue. It's called being an asshole, an ignorant asshole.
So go ahead and keep acting like ignorant assholes. I drive this car every day, so this issue is not going away. You all can pretty much go fuck yourselves.

Yet you can't just leave it alone. You can't even be like "well, maybe I did convince some of them." No, what you apparently require is a specific and direct apology and mea culpa from everybody who's ever voiced any sort reaction other than a 100% positive one.

Isn't having your car not fall apart proof enough for you?

SVT666

If your rear shocks are going after just 2000 miles, then you did something wrong.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 24, 2013, 05:08:12 AM

You are a child. Shut the fuck up.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: SVT666 on May 24, 2013, 08:43:57 AM
If your rear shocks are going after just 2000 miles, then you did something wrong.

They aren't going, they are just not a perfect match to the new spring rate. Keep trying to find anything wrong with what I did. You will fail. Fuck you.

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 24, 2013, 07:03:38 AM
Yet you can't just leave it alone. You can't even be like "well, maybe I did convince some of them." No, what you apparently require is a specific and direct apology and mea culpa from everybody who's ever voiced any sort reaction other than a 100% positive one.

Isn't having your car not fall apart proof enough for you?

I can't leave it alone because it's my damn car, and all of you just keep carrying on like you aren't a bunchnof assholes.

Secret Chimp

Quote from: Eye of the Tiger on May 24, 2013, 10:07:29 AM
I can't leave it alone because it's my damn car, and all of you just keep carrying on like you aren't a bunchnof assholes.

You're the one who brought it up again, you're the one going into cunty bitch babyman mode about it again. If this is all you're capable of doing, leave. Nobody wants to hear it, nobody thinks you're right.

giant_mtb

Tint & Wheels

And not stupid wheels.  I hate when I see a car with some stupid 15" aftermarket wheels because the owner was too cheap to pony up the money for a proper size and style.