BMW BLUE'S: Atlantic vs. Atlantis

Started by Atomic, May 25, 2013, 06:48:11 AM

MX793

Quote from: MrH on May 25, 2013, 06:12:55 PM
I just saw the pics of the seats... Oh man those are bad. The exterior color is pretty boring too. He spent 4 years to come up with that?!

I like the mistaken color better :lol:

I'm not sure why they have a picture of the 2-tone seats in the article when he said he decided not to order 2-tone because they wouldn't send him a leather sample.  The seats ordered were black with blue deviated stitching, according to the article and the thread linked in the article.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

I just saw the pics of the seats... Oh man those are bad. The exterior color is pretty boring too. He spent 4 years to come up with that?!

I've been told that while you can custom order a Rolls Royce in pretty much any colour you like, the company has the final say on whehther or not ehy'll actually make some conbinations.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SVT666

Swap interiors.  No. Big. Deal.  Only a complete idiot would think replacing seats and door panels would result in rattles...especially if it's being done in the BMW assembly plant.

Cookie Monster

The mistaken color is so boring!

Also he didn't get that interior. I agree it looks horrible but he didn't go with it because BMW wouldn't send him the leather samples.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Yeah, he just seems like a douchebag to me.

Swap the interior if you're that obsessed with the color combo. I would probably just take the mistaken paint color and ask for a sizable discount.

veeman

bmw messed up, he's being a bit of a prick about it.  Many people with that kind of money know that being a prick at selected times will get you things that otherwise you wouldnt get.  Successful business types usually dont give a shit what others think of them outside of friends and family.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on May 26, 2013, 12:01:24 AM
bmw messed up, he's being a bit of a prick about it.  Many people with that kind of money know that being a prick at selected times will get you things that otherwise you wouldnt get.  Successful business types usually dont give a shit what others think of them outside of friends and family.

That's a bit of an unfair stereotype, but he did pay the money, and he should get what he paid for, or be compensated in other ways.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

I smell the stink of family money entitlement actually.

CALL_911

Quote from: GoCougs on May 26, 2013, 12:18:23 AM
I smell the stink of family money entitlement actually.

Who gives a fuck? He paid $80k and didn't get what he paid for. End of story.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Soup DeVille

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 26, 2013, 01:12:40 AM

Just that Veeman's "succesful business type" analogy might not apply.

Ehh, Cougs might be right: he might not: but you are; he had a deal, he paid good money; he needs to get what he paid for.

Lebowski

Successful business types also know to choose your battles in life and generally have something more important to worry about that the color of their stitching.

It just isn't worth the time/effort to drag this out beyond what's already been offered. Compromise on the color (and maybe get a discount in that case) or take your money elsewhere.

Lebowski

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 26, 2013, 01:20:15 AM

he had a deal, he paid good money; he needs to get what he paid for.

That's what you guys keep saying but that's not really how it works ... Worst case, if none of the alternatives offered are acceptable to him a refund is a reasonable solution. BMW is not obligated to produce the car, and they've offered other alternatives that he's turned down.

TurboDan

Quote from: Lebowski on May 26, 2013, 07:28:40 AM
That's what you guys keep saying but that's not really how it works ... Worst case, if none of the alternatives offered are acceptable to him a refund is a perfectly acceptable solution. BMW is not obligated to produce the car, and they've offered other alternatives that he's turned down.

At the very least, I would demand a full, unlimited, lifetime warranty on any interior rattles, and for BMW to pay for my hotel/airfare that was spent on the Individual program.

FWIW, though, I realistically would've probably just tried to haggle a better deal on a custom F30 M3.

Rupert

Quote from: TurboDan on May 25, 2013, 11:33:17 AM
I would be fucking livid. We don't know the guy's financial situation, either. He may have worked hard, sacrificed and saved for years to buy this car, only to have some idiot get the most outwardly visible aspect of it – the color – wrong. He's absolutely justified in wanting BMW to make it right. A lot of people are defending them but there is NO way they couldn't put a rush on something. I'll bet if the M3 was for the CEO's nephew and they messed it up, they could fit one into their production schedule.

He was absolutely right to post about it publicly as well. I hope somehow it's figured out. It's bad enough when someone messes up your sandwich at a deli, it's intolerable and totally unacceptable when someone does it with a product that costs $80,000.

Don't know his financial situation? No one scrimps and saves and works hard for years to be able to spend 50% more on a car like this. Puh-lease-- dude's rich as fuck.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

I mean, I'd be pissed if this happened on a $25k car I'd ordered, or someone screwed up a $4k paint job, or the put my $8 sammich on the wrong bread, but just move the custom interior bits over to another car and take a discount.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

GoCougs

Quote from: CALL_911 on May 26, 2013, 01:12:40 AM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 26, 2013, 01:20:15 AM
Just that Veeman's "succesful business type" analogy might not apply.

Ehh, Cougs might be right: he might not: but you are; he had a deal, he paid good money; he needs to get what he paid for.

He doesn't "need" to do anything other than to buck up - BMW is NOT retooling/restarting an entire assembly line to make a discontinued product.

GoCougs

Something just doesn't jive with the story really. Who entered the order? The dealer? This guy? BMW corporate? I'm going to go with that this guy ordered the wrong color and is now throwing a tantrum to cover up looking like a colossal fool.

Lebowski

Quote from: Rupert on May 26, 2013, 12:55:21 PM

Don't know his financial situation? No one scrimps and saves and works hard for years to be able to spend 50% more on a car like this. Puh-lease-- dude's rich as fuck.

Given the vast majority of cars like this are financed or leased, the typical buyer is neither a scrimper-saver nor are they "rich as fuck". He could be an exception but I don't see any reason to assume so (and really, it doesn't matter).  My guess is if he was rich as fuck it wouldn't have taken 4 years to get the order placed.

Lebowski

Quote from: GoCougs on May 26, 2013, 01:11:51 PM

Something just doesn't jive with the story really. Who entered the order? The dealer? This guy? BMW corporate? I'm going to go with that this guy ordered the wrong color and is now throwing a tantrum to cover up looking like a colossal fool.

The 4 year order process doesn't make any sense, custom colors or not.

The other thing is IME options and color schemes usually have numeric or alpha numeric codes, so I don't see how/why Atlantic vs Atlantis would be an issue unless someone didn't catch it when the order was first placed.

Rupert

Quote from: Lebowski on May 26, 2013, 01:15:03 PM
Given the vast majority of cars like this are financed or leased, the typical buyer is neither a scrimper-saver nor are they "rich as fuck". He could be an exception but I don't see any reason to assume so (and really, it doesn't matter).  My guess is if he was rich as fuck it wouldn't have taken 4 years to get the order placed.

Typical buyers also don't collect Audis of specific colors while they're "deciding" on their BMW's interior color. ;)

Atomic

Quote from: MrH on May 25, 2013, 10:18:44 AM
They offered to move his unique interior into a car that's the color he ordered. He refused because "it didn't come from the normal assembly line". Fuck him, what else are they supposed to do?

Excellent point. In fact, the already exceptional BMW quality probably would have jumped up even higher with "all eyes" on this car and the company wanting to "right a wrong" ~ no better quality assurance. Yes, as others have said -- I would be pissed as hell, BUT...

Refitting the interior is essentially a hand built job. BMW's jester and an extended "bumper-to-bumper" warranty (likely free for the asking and costing BMW little) would be satisfactory. 

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on May 26, 2013, 01:21:26 PM

The other thing is IME options and color schemes usually have numeric or alpha numeric codes, so I don't see how/why Atlantic vs Atlantis would be an issue unless someone didn't catch it when the order was first placed.

Yeah, something doesn't seem right with the story - waiting 4 years to get some ugly as stitching? Plus, NO manufacturing process; esp. something so sophisticated as the automobile industry; would use a color name to enter, process and complete an order. From the get-go it's gonna be some alpha numeric code, and as the manufacturing process is carried out, it's gonna bar coding or some other even more fool-proof system. Who ever entered the order did it wrong, and it wasn't the BMW factory. I'm guessing it was this guy, or if not that it was the dealer.

Atomic

Quote from: thecarnut on May 25, 2013, 11:34:35 AM
Not sure if he was in a financial bind as he was prepared to spend $35k on a custom interior, and only didn't do that because BMW wouldn't send him a leather sample. :lol:

This gentleman sounds like an outstanding candidate for one of the Bespoke programs offered by Bentley, Rolls-Royce, others... I alluded to it somewhere recently as the guy a couple of buddies had in South Florida. Needless to say, we are talking about vehicles often costing $350,000 and up. I am actually amazed BMW takes on such challenges as this individual's -- it must be highly profitable. When do correctly, the results must be amazing.

Lebowski

Quote from: Rupert on May 26, 2013, 01:35:21 PM

Typical buyers also don't collect Audis of specific colors while they're "deciding" on their BMW's interior color. ;)

Meh, it's not so unusual for buyers in this class to own multiple cars over a period of 4 years, particularly those who lease or finance.

Atomic

Quote from: GoCougs on May 26, 2013, 01:52:11 PM
Yeah, something doesn't seem right with the story - waiting 4 years to get some ugly as stitching? Plus, NO manufacturing process; esp. something so sophisticated as the automobile industry; would use a color name to enter, process and complete an order. From the get-go it's gonna be some alpha numeric code, and as the manufacturing process is carried out, it's gonna bar coding or some other even more fool-proof system. Who ever entered the order did it wrong, and it wasn't the BMW factory. I'm guessing it was this guy, or if not that it was the dealer.

I am thinking it must have taken him four years (or more) to come up with the finances...  :huh:

GoCougs

Quote from: Lebowski on May 26, 2013, 01:54:25 PM
Meh, it's not so unusual for buyers in this class to own multiple cars over a period of 4 years, particularly those who lease or finance.

I'd say it's common if not SOP (and why depreciation is so terrible for the class - the supply of off-lease cars is immense).

GoCougs

Quote from: Atomic on May 26, 2013, 01:56:13 PM
I am thinking it must have taken him four years (or more) to come up with the finances...  :huh:

Per the info in the original link he has an explanation (IMO it doesn't add up, which is one of the reasons why I think there is a lot more to the story). Also, most all these cars are financed/leased, so there's relatively little money to come up with.

"As to why it took 4 years: Individual color paint has to be approved before the order is placed. Individual interiors can also take an extended period of time to sort out. At the start of this process, I was interested in an E90 in Audi's Nogaro Blue. I have 2 Audi's in that color now, one painted via Audi's Exclusive program. The original dealer I started with (who shall remain nameless) caused me to miss the order deadline for the E90. I was waiting for approval on Nogaro Blue, but made it clear that I did not want to miss the order deadline for an Individual E90. One day I call the salesman and he informs me that he forgot to tell me, but that not only was Nogaro Blue denied, but that the order window has closed for Individual paint on an E90. Call me crazy, but I didn't want a stock color E90 and so I went and bought an A4 Avant in Nogaro blue for daily driving duties. As I was contemplating an E92, I stumbled across Steve Thomas BMW and contacted them about an E92 with some Individual options. There was no pressure, but we got the ball rolling on what was initially to be an M3 in Nogaro Blue, with matching blue alcantara, and blue stitching on the seats. Of the exterior color list I had requested, Nogaro blue was surprisingly APPROVED, in addition to several other colors (including Atlantis with the correct paint code). The blue alcantara interior was not approved, but they were willing to do blue leather in any way I wanted. For a VERY VERY LARGE sum of money. I decided that I wanted the two-tone blue/black leather interior, but that I had to get a leather sample before I could approve the option. It turns out BMW DE was waiting for us to order the car that way (with the $$$$$ interior), before they would provide a leather sample. And not the other way around. To be frank, I'm not paying for an option that is 50% of the base price of the car without seeing a leather sample. So I bailed on the custom color leather and decided to stick with deviated stitching. That was also frustrating because they could not provide a sample of the thread being used and I had concerns about it matching the exterior and custom color leather.

Since beginning the order process, I went from one to two nogaro blue cars and the prospect of owning 3 was starting to sound less exciting, especially since the matching interior leather was not going to happen. So of the final 3 colors I had approval to order (Nogaro, Mora, and Atlantis), I settled on Atlantis. We got the order placed and voila: 4-years passed.

MrH

Agree with Lebowski and Cougs on this.

A few things to note:

- Yeah, they don't pass the color name scribbled on a post-it note down the line.  I worked in the BMW Leipzig plant, which mostly makes 1-series and X1's, but while I was there they were making some 3 series too.  M3 comes out of Munich currently I think.  In the Leipzig plant, orders come in based on a code number.  Everything has part numbers, and a build sheet is just a string of part numbers for each option.  There are steps along the entire process, usually by barcode.  Basically, as it moves down the assembly line, the computers at each station recognize was specific order the vehicle is.  The line operator has to scan in the barcodes of the parts going in.  If it's incorrect, the installation process can not proceed until they get it right.  We do the same for interior components in our plants.  Because of the type of mistake, the blame solely rests on him for misspeaking while ordering the car, or the guy who put the order in for picking the wrong color.  The plant builds the orders that come in, and they don't get those things wrong.  The paint booth with the car coming down the line can't paint it the wrong color.

- Nothing about the story lines up.  It took him 4 years to decide on a color, and he didn't follow up enough to make sure his order went through?  The dealership screwed up and didn't get it in in time?

- I wouldn't be surprised if BMW did what he's demanding that it would cost $10+ million in cost.

- I get the feeling of buyer's remorse, and this is his way of sticking it to BMW while trying to save face.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Lebowski on May 26, 2013, 07:28:40 AM
That's what you guys keep saying but that's not really how it works ... Worst case, if none of the alternatives offered are acceptable to him a refund is a reasonable solution. BMW is not obligated to produce the car, and they've offered other alternatives that he's turned down.

Read my previouis post, where I added "or come up with another way to compensate him"

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Lebowski on May 26, 2013, 01:21:26 PM

Yes, someobdy probably mis-transcribed the code when reading off of his order sheet, well before any car was actually being built- probably at the dealer.