BMW BLUE'S: Atlantic vs. Atlantis

Started by Atomic, May 25, 2013, 06:48:11 AM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Atomic on May 26, 2013, 01:53:52 PM
This gentleman sounds like an outstanding candidate for one of the Bespoke programs offered by Bentley, Rolls-Royce, others... I alluded to it somewhere recently as the guy a couple of buddies had in South Florida. Needless to say, we are talking about vehicles often costing $350,000 and up. I am actually amazed BMW takes on such challenges as this individual's -- it must be highly profitable. When do correctly, the results must be amazing.

Of course its highly profitable- you think that $350,000 vehicle costs any where near that to make?

And yes, in that air, prima donnas are to be expected.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Lebowski on May 26, 2013, 01:15:03 PM
Given the vast majority of cars like this are financed or leased, the typical buyer is neither a scrimper-saver nor are they "rich as fuck". He could be an exception but I don't see any reason to assume so (and really, it doesn't matter).  My guess is if he was rich as fuck it wouldn't have taken 4 years to get the order placed.

He paid $80k CASH.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Lebowski

Quote from: thecarnut on May 26, 2013, 02:20:43 PM

He paid $80k CASH.

I don't see where it says that, but if true it doesn't change anything.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: thecarnut on May 26, 2013, 02:20:43 PM
He paid $80k CASH.

Which argues towards Cougs' theory about family money IMO.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Cookie Monster

Lebowski was making the argument that he may have taken years to save or something, but I don't see how that's true for someone who takes 4 years to pick out colors, was about to spend another $35k on a custom colored BMW interior and ended up with 3 Audis in that 4 year time frame while choosing his color and options. Maybe it does support Coug's theory about family money. I never said it didn't, but I don't see how one could make a huge assumption like that. :huh:

But also, I find it funny it took him 4 year to come up with dark blue with some blue stitching in the interior, thereby causing him to pass up on the E90 that he originally wanted.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Lebowski

Quote from: thecarnut on May 26, 2013, 03:01:09 PM

Lebowski was making the argument that he may have taken years to save or something, but I don't see how that's true for someone who takes 4 years to pick out colors, was about to spend another $35k on a custom colored BMW interior and ended up with 3 Audis in that 4 year time frame while choosing his color and options. Maybe it does support Coug's theory about family money. I never said it didn't, but I don't see how one could make a huge assumption like that. :huh:

But also, I find it funny it took him 4 year to come up with dark blue with some blue stitching in the interior, thereby causing him to pass up on the E90 that he originally wanted.

No, someone else said he could have been scrimping and saving for years, I'm not the one who said that.  OTOH Rupert came in and said he's rich as fuck and I said we don't know that either, and that he bought multiple expensive cars doesn't mean he is (lots of people who aren't close to rich drive $80k+ cars and spend too much on stupid custom options like this).

I'm saying we don't know much about his finances one way or the other, and it's all moot anyway.  BMW isn't going to stop everything and build one last example of an out of production car for him whether he's rich or he's broke.

GoCougs

Quote from: thecarnut on May 26, 2013, 03:01:09 PM

Like I said, the story doesn't add up - 4 years to order/decide on the car? The goofy configuration of the car itself? Supposedly owning a bunch of equivalent(ish) cars in the meantime?  The "mistake" of the order? The jihad over the refusal of BMW to restart the factory? The refusal to accept BMW's offer?

In sum total the only two answers IMO are a bored nitwit with family money or he realized HE himself ordered the wrong color and is overcompensating to deflect blame.

Rupert

Quote from: Lebowski on May 26, 2013, 03:14:22 PM

No, someone else said he could have been scrimping and saving for years, I'm not the one who said that.  OTOH Rupert came in and said he's rich as fuck and I said we don't know that either, and that he bought multiple expensive cars doesn't mean he is (lots of people who aren't close to rich drive $80k+ cars and spend too much on stupid custom options like this).

I'm saying we don't know much about his finances one way or the other, and it's all moot anyway.  BMW isn't going to stop everything and build one last example of an out of production car for him whether he's rich or he's broke.

Unbunch thine panties.

I came in primarily to refute Dan's scrimp and save theory, which is pretty clearly not the case. Cougs has it right.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Lebowski

Quote from: Rupert on May 26, 2013, 03:29:02 PM

Unbunch thine panties.

:huh:

I could care less which case is correct, just pointing out I wasn't the one who said that.

Rupert

Well, I care deeply about this topic, so get it right!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

veeman

Trust me - the whole 4 yr thing is a ruse for him to get a new car the way he ordered it.  I'm saying he's being a bit of a prick about it because he's living in la la land if he thinks a company is going to change its assemby line schedule for one car.  He's most likely not in la la land.  He's playing his cards to get the largest possible discount.  The more noise he makes to a point, the more likely he'll get a hefty discount plus a repainted car or whatever.  In order to make the maximum noise, you have to claim that the error has caused you undue hardship.  The whole 4 years of pondering is complete b.s. whose purpose is to demonstrate the emotional toll this error has caused him.

rohan

Quote from: MrH on May 25, 2013, 10:18:44 AM
They offered to move his unique interior into a car that's the color he ordered. He refused because "it didn't come from the normal assembly line". Fuck him, what else are they supposed to do?
+ 10MMMMM

Just another example of American Entitlementism.  They offered a perfectly valid fix that I'm sure would have come with a letter directly from BMW- and might even have made it worth more because of the story and explanation by the factory.  People just have way too much time to invest in needless drama.
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Atomic

Quote from: MX793 on May 25, 2013, 06:43:37 PM
I'm not sure why they have a picture of the 2-tone seats in the article when he said he decided not to order 2-tone because they wouldn't send him a leather sample.  The seats ordered were black with blue deviated stitching, according to the article and the thread linked in the article.

Good call! I saw the pic and immediately thought that was "his interior" -- that would've caused another horrible stir. Lol.

Atomic

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 26, 2013, 02:18:50 PM
Of course its highly profitable- you think that $350,000 vehicle costs any where near that to make?

And yes, in that air, prima donnas are to be expected.

I could only imagine the clientele (err, characters, eccentrics, prima donnas -- as you mention)... But an interesting job it would be, not to mention frustrating and needing the patience of job.

A couple tidbits for the couple of employees from the RR/Bentley Bespoke program at that time (while co-wondered):

(1) Rolls-Royce and Bentley required a certain percentage down on most orders... But FULL PRICE UPFRONT for anything not considered to sell if the order is cancelled, i.e., odd color combinations, atypical materials, cost.

(2) There is only one exterior color (hint: colour) off limits per Rolls-Royce Motor Cars/Bentley Motor Cars.

Q1: Any guesses to the color before I share the exact colour/shade? Check in later for answer... Pics...

Atomic

Quote from: Atomic on May 27, 2013, 10:01:46 AM
I could only imagine the clientele (err, characters, eccentrics, prima donnas -- as you mention)... But an interesting job it would be, not to mention frustrating and needing the patience of job.

A couple tidbits for the couple of employees from the RR/Bentley Bespoke program at that time (while co-wondered):

(1) Rolls-Royce and Bentley required a certain percentage down on most orders... But FULL PRICE UPFRONT for anything not considered to sell if the order is cancelled, i.e., odd color combinations, atypical materials, cost.

(2) There is only one exterior color (hint: colour) off limits per Rolls-Royce Motor Cars/Bentley Motor Cars.

Q1: Any guesses to the color before I share the exact colour/shade? Check in later for answer... Pics...

(2) SPOILER ALERT: ANSWER

A1: Royal Claret Livery, Shown on Queen Elizabeth's Bentley, Below

Fun Facts for Automobile Enthusiasts and Royal Historians Alike

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bentley_State_Limousine

Additional Historic Information Concerning The Queen of England's Motor Cars
of The British Royal Monarchy 

For most of her engagements, The Queen travels to a venue in a State car.

Used for public engagements and some ceremonial occasions, State cars must transport their passengers in a style which is safe, efficient and dignified, allowing as many people as possible to see The Queen or other members of the Royal Family. Built to unique specifications, they are also vehicles of great historical and technical interest in themselves.

The Queen's State and private motor cars are housed in the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace.

For official duties - providing transport for State and other visitors as well as The Queen herself - there are eight State limousines, consisting of two Bentleys, three Rolls-Royces and three Daimlers. Other vehicles in the Royal fleet include a number of Volkswagen 'people carriers'.

State cars are painted in Royal Claret Livery. The Bentleys and Rolls-Royces uniquely do not have registration number plates, since they are State vehicles.

The most recent State cars, used for most of The Queen's engagements, are the two Bentleys. The first of these was presented to The Queen to mark her Golden Jubilee in 2002.

The one-off design, conceived by a Bentley-led consortium of British motor industry manufacturers and suppliers, was created with input from The Queen, The Duke of Edinburgh and Her Majesty's Head Chauffeur.

In technical terms, the special Bentley cars have a monocoque construction, enabling greater use to be made of the vehicle's interior space. This means the transmission tunnel runs underneath the floor, without encroaching on the cabin.

Technical details show how different the Bentleys are to standard cars. The Bentleys are 6.22 metres long, nearly a metre longer than a standard Bentley Arnage. At 3.84 metres, its wheelbase is 1.3 metres longer than that of an average family sized saloon. The engine drives a standard, four-speed GM 4L80-E gearbox, which directs power through up-rated driveshafts to the rear wheels.

Although they have a powerful engine, the Bentleys, like any other cars, are subject to normal speed restrictions. On processional occasions, they travel at around 9 miles per hour, and sometimes down to 3 miles per hour.

The rear doors are hinged at the back and are designed to allow The Queen to stand up straight before stepping down to the ground.

The rear seats are upholstered in Hield Lambswool Sateen cloth whilst all remaining upholstery is in light grey Connolly hide. Carpets are pale blue in the rear and dark blue in the front.

Visibility is important. For many people, a glimpse of a Royal car driving slowly by may be their only opportunity to see The Queen or a member of the Royal Family. The Bentleys are fitted with a removable exterior roof covering which exposes a clear inner lining, giving an all-round view of their Royal passengers.

There are other cars in addition to the Bentleys. A Rolls-Royce Phantom VI was presented to The Queen in 1978 for her Silver Jubilee by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders.

The oldest car in the fleet is the Phantom IV, built in 1950, 5.76 litre with a straight eight engine and a Mulliner body. It was used by Princess Elizabeth and The Duke of Edinburgh. It features a straight eight engine and a Mulliner body. Despite its age, the car is in fine condition, and is still used for occasions such as Ascot.

There is also a 1987 Phantom VI.

There is no proof that King Edward VII or King George V could drive, but later monarchs King Edward VIII and King George VI could.

Some interesting historic Royal cars can be viewed at Sandringham Museum. Items include the 1900 Daimler bought by Edward VII, and a half-scale Aston Martin given to Princes William and Harry in 1988.

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

veeman

thanks Atomic for those interesting tidbits. 

i could see some rich foreign guy driving a bentley painted aftermarket royal claret livery just too piss everyone off there.

LonghornTX

Quote from: SVT666 on May 25, 2013, 07:53:39 PM
Swap interiors.  No. Big. Deal.  Only a complete idiot would think replacing seats and door panels would result in rattles...especially if it's being done in the BMW assembly plant.
That is what I would do. It is likely they will do a better job assembling it this time than on the line anyway. And then ask for a sizable discount for the trouble and be done with it
Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week.

LonghornTX

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 26, 2013, 02:41:26 PM
Which argues towards Cougs' theory about family money IMO.
A lot of people buy cars with cash who aren't from family money (like my dad), but yea, it does show at least a certain level of wealth IMO

LonghornTX

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 26, 2013, 12:15:42 AM
That's a bit of an unfair stereotype, but he did pay the money, and he should get what he paid for, or be compensated in other ways.
I actually tend to agree with veeman, but only to a point, and like you said, it is unfair to stereotype everyone. When I was selling Astons/Bentleys/RR, some of my clients (mostly self made entrepreneurs) were the most particular and selectively whiny SOBs I have ever been around. They would throw fits that would shame even a two year old. Others, also self made, were super chill and very forgiving of issues like this. I never had a custom ordered car messed up, but I imagine my clients that fell in the former category would react like this guy, or worse...

SJ_GTI

FWIW I bought my car with cash (or rather, a check) and I definitely do not have "family money." I just saved up before buying it.  :huh:

Regarding the car in the OP, I actually like the exterior color, although it may not match his interior now if the stitching is a darker blue.

That being said, I can kind of understand why the guy is making a fuss. I have often found that acting entitled often has the consequence of getting what you want.  :lol: In this case, as has been mentioned, it would likely cost BMW 10's of millions of dollars to try and make him a replacement car, so there is no way that is getting done. His best chance is simply to get a discount on the next gen M3 (which may be what he is aiming for anyway).

veeman

by saying that successful business types don't give a shit about what others think of them outside of friends and family, i don't mean that as derogatory.  it's true.  if you're successful at business, you've mostly likely fired a bunch of people in the past.  you have to... it goes with the territory.  once you fire people, you develop a bit of thick skin.  otherwise you'd emotionally not be able to handle it.  you can't worry about what others think of you.  i'm not saying they are psychopaths. 

this guy has a lot of money.  someone who saves a lot to buy a luxury car is not going to spend even more money for a custom interior/exterior.  factory made custom interior/exteriors are usually pretty expensive i would imagine.

i agree with SJ_GTI that acting entitled gets you more stuff than not, to a point.  In a business transaction, if the other party messes up and you don't make any fuss, they'll reimburse you.  If you make a lot of fuss, they'll reimburse you and then some just to get you to shut up.  A very nice person won't make a fuss because they're self conscious about being a prick.  They'll introspectively look at it from the other side.  A successful business type most probably won't give a shit what anyone thinks (outside of friends and family) and wants the maximum amount of renumeration he can get.  There's obviously shades of grey involved here and i'm just generalizing.  no one wants the whole internet world against you.   

Soup DeVille

Quote from: LonghornTX on May 28, 2013, 12:25:54 PM
A lot of people buy cars with cash who aren't from family money (like my dad), but yea, it does show at least a certain level of wealth IMO

No, nothing conclusive here; but to both have the money, and to also have the time to do the German delivery rigmarole just gives me the impression of unearned wealth. Could be wrong, it's happened before, but that's the impression I get from this situation,

Lebowski

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 29, 2013, 08:44:40 AM

No, nothing conclusive here; but to both have the money, and to also have the time to do the German delivery rigmarole just gives me the impression of unearned wealth. Could be wrong, it's happened before, but that's the impression I get from this situation,

Lots of people with earned income have time for a European vacation here and there.

The conclusions people are forming about how much money this guy does or doesn't have and where he got it are kind of funny.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Lebowski on May 29, 2013, 09:17:05 AM
Lots of people with earned income have time for a European vacation here and there.

The conclusions people are forming about how much money this guy does or doesn't have and where he got it are kind of funny.

Did you completely skip the part where I said "nothing conclusive" before telling me how it's funny what conclusions I'm making?

Lebowski

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 29, 2013, 09:22:48 AM

Did you completely skip the part where I said "nothing conclusive" before telling me how it's funny what conclusions I'm making?

Nothing conclusive yet you still formed an opinion, maybe I should have said assumptions rather than conclusions, and I wasn't just talking about you.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Lebowski on May 29, 2013, 09:28:08 AM
Nothing conclusive yet you still formed an opinion, maybe I should have said assumptions rather than conclusions, and I wasn't just talking about you.

An impression; nothing I would base anything on. And yes, that's what an opinion is.

hotrodalex

I think he's D.B. Cooper in disguise.

Atomic

Quote from: veeman on May 27, 2013, 10:01:46 PM
thanks Atomic for those interesting tidbits. 

i could see some rich foreign guy driving a bentley painted aftermarket royal claret livery just too piss everyone off there.

So welcome... And yes, I could see that, too!  :evildude: