Unecessary Styling "Trends"

Started by AutobahnSHO, May 25, 2013, 06:19:52 PM

Soup DeVille

I'm not sure I like the idea of removing the gear selector and giving me a fiddly knob. I get the point, but: do we really need to squeeze in an extra cupholder that badly?

Also, the "big grilles" are in part a response to pedestrian crash standards which have raised the hoodline, and well: you've got to do something with that bulbous front end.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

The taillight thing is because all-red looks better and other countries require amber signals.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Secret Chimp

Top # Whatever = shitty SEO bait article, guaranteed.

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on May 25, 2013, 06:44:38 PM
The taillight thing is because all-red looks better and other countries require amber signals.

Also, shockingly enough: it works.

yes, even though tis not the Euro-fabulous color coded system, it can still be understood by us poor dumb americans.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

I dunno. Sometimes with the all-red signals, I get confused when the left one blinks. Looks like they're gonna turn right.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on May 25, 2013, 07:32:59 PM
I dunno. Sometimes with the all-red signals, I get confused when the left one blinks. Looks like they're gonna turn right.

Changing color isn't going to help you with that.

hotrodalex

I'm surprised about the non-dimming gauges. My car has a sensor and will dim or brighten most of the lights on the dashboard and center console.

SVT666

Most of the those aren't "styling cues" anyway.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 25, 2013, 08:46:13 PM
I'm surprised about the non-dimming gauges. My car has a sensor and will dim or brighten most of the lights on the dashboard and center console.

My wife's Minivan doesn't show any real indication as to whether the lights are on or not. In auto mode, a headlight "warning light" will ight up when they're on, but the gauges remain undimmed.

I still think in this the "old way" was just too simple and easy: if the lights weren't on, the gauges were unlit, and if it was dark: you couldn't see them.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 25, 2013, 07:24:40 PM
Also, shockingly enough: it works.

yes, even though tis not the Euro-fabulous color coded system, it can still be understood by us poor dumb americans.

All red works fine if all of the bulbs are working.  Problem is that there are a lot of vehicles out there with burned out or non-functioning bulbs.  I'm personally a fan of separate turn and brake signals, with amber signals being better than red.  IIRC, my uncle was in a motorcycle accident when he was younger because a vehicle with only one functioning brake light had a driver who was pumping the brakes at a steady interval that mimicked a turn signal.  Third brake lights help with this, but sometimes you find a vehicle that doesn't have a functioning third brake lamp or for which the third lamp is obscured (pickups seem to be the most common culprits in both scenarios).  With amber signals, a brake light is never mistaken for a turn signal.

People who drive around at night with just their DRLs irritate me too.  What's worse are the people who don't turn their headlights on in the rain.  With many cars having DRLs, at least I can see cars coming when somebody forgets to turn their lights on, but it's hard to see a car ahead of you in rain and road mist when their tail lamps aren't lit.  Why can't they link the wiper switch to the headlights?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on May 25, 2013, 10:03:48 PM
All red works fine if all of the bulbs are working.  Problem is that there are a lot of vehicles out there with burned out or non-functioning bulbs.  I'm personally a fan of separate turn and brake signals, with amber signals being better than red.  IIRC, my uncle was in a motorcycle accident when he was younger because a vehicle with only one functioning brake light had a driver who was pumping the brakes at a steady interval that mimicked a turn signal.  Third brake lights help with this, but sometimes you find a vehicle that doesn't have a functioning third brake lamp or for which the third lamp is obscured (pickups seem to be the most common culprits in both scenarios).  With amber signals, a brake light is never mistaken for a turn signal.

People who drive around at night with just their DRLs irritate me too.  What's worse are the people who don't turn their headlights on in the rain.  With many cars having DRLs, at least I can see cars coming when somebody forgets to turn their lights on, but it's hard to see a car ahead of you in rain and road mist when their tail lamps aren't lit.  Why can't they link the wiper switch to the headlights?

Well, if bulbs are burned out, it doesn't really matter what your lighting scheme is, does it?

Besides, generally, if a guy has his signal on, its best to treat him as if he's about to slow down and turn anyways.

MX793

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 25, 2013, 10:12:06 PM
Well, if bulbs are burned out, it doesn't really matter what your lighting scheme is, does it?

Besides, generally, if a guy has his signal on, its best to treat him as if he's about to slow down and turn anyways.

I believe what happened was my uncle thought the car was turning left and when he went to drive around the car on the right, the car turned into him.  I've encountered the "mimicked turn signal" phenomena myself a couple of times, usually seems to be with pickups.

You're right that a burned out bulb means that intentions aren't going to be communicated, but at least they won't be mis-interpreted.  If a car with a burned out turn signal slows down in front of me, I'm left to assume that they are planning to turn and either failed to signal or have a faulty signal bulb and I know to slow up and wait and see what they are planning.  And if the driver with only one functioning brake lamp is pumping their brakes at a steady interval, the fact that the lamp is red instead of amber would clue me that it's a brake light and not a turn signal that I'm seeing.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MX793 on May 25, 2013, 10:22:23 PM
I believe what happened was my uncle thought the car was turning left and when he went to drive around the car on the right, the car turned into him.  I've encountered the "mimicked turn signal" phenomena myself a couple of times, usually seems to be with pickups.

You're right that a burned out bulb means that intentions aren't going to be communicated, but at least they won't be mis-interpreted.  If a car with a burned out turn signal slows down in front of me, I'm left to assume that they are planning to turn and either failed to signal or have a faulty signal bulb and I know to slow up and wait and see what they are planning.  And if the driver with only one functioning brake lamp is pumping their brakes at a steady interval, the fact that the lamp is red instead of amber would clue me that it's a brake light and not a turn signal that I'm seeing.

Well, if a driver is pumping their brakes at a steady interval like that, they just need to be hauld out and beaten anyways.

OK, the euro system may be clearer in some cases, but really i don't think its enough of a difference to make any changes over.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 25, 2013, 10:28:33 PM
Well, if a driver is pumping their brakes at a steady interval like that, they just need to be hauld out and beaten anyways.

:hesaid:

Although sometimes I do act like the brake pedal is a bass drum pedal... But that's only when I'm almost at a stop.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 25, 2013, 10:28:33 PM
OK, the euro system may be clearer in some cases, but really i don't think its enough of a difference to make any changes over.

I totally disagree. Amber is absolutely more helpful and sometimes that half second you have to figure out what does the red light on that car mean is the difference between a crash or not..

OH and I drove an American "red turn signal" car in Germany. Had quite a few incidents of others around me not knowing what was going on- which cleared up when I got the SHO which had amber rears...      And I am very conscientious about turn signals.
Will

veeman

trunk spoilers - usually dont like them.

mud flaps - terrible looking and without meaningful purpose outside of a big ass truck

Soup DeVille

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on May 26, 2013, 07:00:15 AM
I totally disagree. Amber is absolutely more helpful and sometimes that half second you have to figure out what does the red light on that car mean is the difference between a crash or not..

OH and I drove an American "red turn signal" car in Germany. Had quite a few incidents of others around me not knowing what was going on- which cleared up when I got the SHO which had amber rears...      And I am very conscientious about turn signals.

One might argue that red only lamps in Europe would be a much bigger problem, as drivers are not conditioned into looking for them.

280Z Turbo

Oversized wheels are a huge problem. Reducing sidewall height has diminishing gains and eventually the sidewall stiffness creates too much harshness for street use. The extra unsprung weight also adversely affects handling.

I'm not saying we should go back to the days of 70 series sidewalls (they looked bad and handled worse) but roads in the north are too shitty for rubber band tires.

Laconian

The point that automatic shifters are a "styling trend" is bullshit. Cars aren't telepathic. It's sometimes helpful to give a car a nudge into a higher gear when it's trying to be "sporty" by being into a gear that's lower than what's necessary. An extra few detents in the shifter costs next to nothing and adds practicality for the folks that are aware enough to exploit it.

Huge wheels and the corresponding oversized fenders are a big problem for modern cars. Reasonably sized wheels look piddly on a car with massive openings. Tires become expensive as well.

I'm really disappointed that this dumb author didn't bitch about the sky-high windowsills. The Camaro, for example, is a fucking joke.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

280Z Turbo

At this point we might as well have button shifters with flappy paddles if you're feeling sporty whilst driving your Toyota Sienna. Fill the shifter space with 4 more cup holders or something.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Laconian on May 26, 2013, 10:08:43 PM
The point that automatic shifters are a "styling trend" is bullshit. Cars aren't telepathic. It's sometimes helpful to give a car a nudge into a higher gear when it's trying to be "sporty" by being into a gear that's lower than what's necessary. An extra few detents in the shifter costs next to nothing and adds practicality for the folks that are aware enough to exploit it.

Huge wheels and the corresponding oversized fenders are a big problem for modern cars. Reasonably sized wheels look piddly on a car with massive openings. Tires become expensive as well.

I'm really disappointed that this dumb author didn't bitch about the sky-high windowsills. The Camaro, for example, is a fucking joke.

I've never had a problem with the Camaro's high window sills. Maybe if you're shorter it'll impair something, but seeing the ground right next to the car is rarely necessary.

SVT666

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 26, 2013, 10:22:20 PM
I've never had a problem with the Camaro's high window sills. Maybe if you're shorter it'll impair something, but seeing the ground right next to the car is rarely necessary.
I'm not short and the low roofline and the high sills are a problem for me.

Rupert

Quote from: Laconian on May 26, 2013, 10:08:43 PM

A bunch of the big trucks at work have column shifters that shift into PRND, and then the 54321 is done with a couple of buttons on the stalk. It works very well, actually, though that exact way of doing it probably wouldn't be good on regular cars.

Raza

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 26, 2013, 10:22:20 PM

It's like looking through a mail slot.  It's probably not a problem unless you live in a built up area.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on May 26, 2013, 10:50:52 PM
It's like looking through a mail slot.  It's probably not a problem unless you live in a built up area.

High sills don't bother me half as much as the thickness of modern A-pillars: but between those, the high sills, the smaller rear view due to all the rear passenger headrests, the extra large rear view mirror with the extra buttons on them, and the higher hoodlines of cars these days, there's something of a visibility problem altogether on most new cars.

hotrodalex

Quote from: SVT666 on May 26, 2013, 10:34:41 PM
I'm not short and the low roofline and the high sills are a problem for me.

Quote from: Raza  on May 26, 2013, 10:50:52 PM

Had a rental one in downtown SF and it wasn't really a problem. In fact the biggest issue was the long hood obscuring the road when going up one of the steep hills, but that's a problem in numerous cars.

The "problem" is way overstated.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Soup DeVille on May 26, 2013, 10:56:40 PM
High sills don't bother me half as much as the thickness of modern A-pillars: but between those, the high sills, the smaller rear view due to all the rear passenger headrests, the extra large rear view mirror with the extra buttons on them, and the higher hoodlines of cars these days, there's something of a visibility problem altogether on most new cars.

I do miss the days of skinny A-pillars. Could have hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk a couple of weeks ago because he was completely covered by the pillar (this was in my BMW.)

Rupert

Laconian

Quote from: hotrodalex on May 26, 2013, 10:59:40 PM
I do miss the days of skinny A-pillars. Could have hit a pedestrian in a crosswalk a couple of weeks ago because he was completely covered by the pillar (this was in my BMW.)

Agreed
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT