2007 Cadillac Escalade

Started by JYODER240, November 09, 2005, 10:29:12 PM

NomisR

I think the interior is an improvement over the previous model, at least it doesn't have the "regular truck interior with wood trims slapped on it for luxury feel" type look anymore.  But it doesn't scream luxury at all, interior design is too busy without any classy feel to it.  

Outside, it's just blah..

thewizard16

Maybe if they'd made the center console look a little nicer (like the Lexus's, maybe) it'd be better.
What, by painting the plastic silver? No thanks. I'm sure if Cadillac had done that people would blast them for "cheaping out" on the instrument panel.

ifcar, I'm failing to see the striking front-end similarities between the Yukon Denali and Escalade. The headlights aren't even the same shape, the grilles would never mistaken for each other, and the lower fascias house completely different foglight setups. Color me confused . . .
The silver plastic in the ES looks infinitely better than the expanse of plain black in the Escalade. If you think people would be upset if the center looked like the ES, I can't imagine what they'll be like when they see what they did intstead.  <_<  
92 Camry XLE V6(Murdered)
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2008 Volkswagen Passat(Did not survive the winter)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

Quote from: Raza  link=topic=27909.msg1787179#msg1787179 date=1349117110
You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

ifcar

Maybe if they'd made the center console look a little nicer (like the Lexus's, maybe) it'd be better.
What, by painting the plastic silver? No thanks. I'm sure if Cadillac had done that people would blast them for "cheaping out" on the instrument panel.

ifcar, I'm failing to see the striking front-end similarities between the Yukon Denali and Escalade. The headlights aren't even the same shape, the grilles would never mistaken for each other, and the lower fascias house completely different foglight setups. Color me confused . . .
The headlights are not identical, but they're of a similar shape. And unlike the previous versions, only the grille is notably different on the outside. The current Escalade looks much less like its lesser cousins, in part because now they too have an angular look.

VetteZ06

I disagree completely. The Yukon is much, much different from the Escalade, moreso in the front than the back, but still noticeably different all around.

Their front ends, in particular, are very dissimilar. The Yukon's headlights may look the tiniest bit like the Escalade's, but they are bigger and far more rounded. The Escalade has an angular design theme up front in keeping with Cadillac's renaissance theme (obviously), and you're stretching it A LOT by saying they look "too much alike". That's just unfathomable in my mind, but you never know what different people will see.

Sorry, but your point of view is totally lost on me. The Escalade is very aggressive, and the old one almost seems tame when you see pictures of both side-by-side. Try it. I've heard many people say it has lost its edge after the redesign (mostly Ford fans, actually), but I think the exact opposite is true.

Oh well. Can't wait for some road tests in the future. :praise:  

TBR

I just don't see how you can say that the overall design for the front isn't almost the same. The only differences are in the details and that the corner of the Denali's lights and grill are more rounded. But, those detail and shape differences make a big difference imho, the Escalade is much better looking.

VetteZ06

QuoteI think the interior is an improvement over the previous model, at least it doesn't have the "regular truck interior with wood trims slapped on it for luxury feel" type look anymore.  But it doesn't scream luxury at all, interior design is too busy without any classy feel to it.  

Outside, it's just blah..
At least you didn't have any preconceived notions regarding sport/utility vehicles. Then you might have the same opinion about all SUVs, regardless of their merits. Or maybe, just maybe, you would say the exterior styling is "just blah" because it's an SUV and not because it's actually boring.

But that would only be if you hated SUVs, and members of the club mentioned in your signature obviously don't hate SUVs.  <_<  

VetteZ06

QuoteI just don't see how you can say that the overall design for the front isn't almost the same. The only differences are in the details and that the corner of the Denali's lights and grill are more rounded. But, those detail and shape differences make a big difference imho, the Escalade is much better looking.
The grille is monumentally different in my eyes. Not similar at all. I could differentiate between the two from a mile away.

But yes, I do like the overall look.

TBR

The shapes of the grill are similar, but, yes, the inner parts of the grills are completely different (and that is main reason I prefer the Escalades).

VetteZ06

I really like the side interior shot at cadillac.com.

It looks pretty inviting from that angle.  :praise:  

Raghavan

Vette is a true born troll. <_< :lol:

ifcar

Vette, the two cars are completely identical except for trim everywhere but the front end. And the front ends, while not identical, are also not dissimilar. The Yukon and Escalade headlights are clearly shaped to allow for a shared front fender, the Yukon's are only wider and a more rounded on one side.

I don't know which cars you're looking at.  

JYODER240

QuoteVette is a true born troll. <_< :lol:
look whos talking :rolleyes:   :lol:  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

JYODER240

QuoteI just don't see how you can say that the overall design for the front isn't almost the same. The only differences are in the details and that the corner of the Denali's lights and grill are more rounded. But, those detail and shape differences make a big difference imho, the Escalade is much better looking.
The grille is monumentally different in my eyes. Not similar at all. I could differentiate between the two from a mile away.

But yes, I do like the overall look.
I have to agree with you vette. I can see similarities but its not identical like some of the others are saying. I dont think they look anymore similar than a Navigator/Expedition.
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

so cal cookie

I think the front ends look different enough.  

However, from the front fenders back, it looks identical.  Look at the high res photos on GMI, and the fenders look identical with the exception of the vent on the Caddy.  Same for everything else.

ifcar

Some real-world pics:

The second interior pic is the best I've seen yet. Looks much better than previous shots.  

thewizard16

Those pictures look much better overall than any of the previous photos. I still don't like the exterior, but the interior looks a little less drab, and the center console doesn't stick out as bad. I guess I'm just going to have to go look at one in person as soon as they're on the lots, because now I don't think I can even make a good style judgement based on the pictures.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

You're my age.  We're getting old.  Plus, now that you're married, your life expectancy has gone way down, since you're more likely to be poisoned by your wife.

TBR

At this point my only complaint is that the wood has too many sharp edges. A 2007 Escalade ESV has just joined my virtual dream garage :praise:

thewizard16

QuoteAt this point my only complaint is that the wood has too many sharp edges. A 2007 Escalade ESV has just joined my virtual dream garage :praise:
Well, not mine, and even if I like it in person it wouldn't, but it's just not the type of vehicle I'd want.
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

TBR

Gotta have something to tow the boat and cars with ;)

Raghavan

It looks better in the latest pics iffy posted.

thewizard16

QuoteGotta have something to tow the boat and cars with ;)
It's too big and flashy for me. If I were buying a mid-to-large lux SUV it'd be something more like a Range Rover or a GX.  
99 ES 300 (Sold)
2015 Lexus GS350 F-Sport

TBR

Not enough grunt or weight for towing.

ifcar

A GX470 tows 6,500 lbs, and the Range Rover tows 7,700 lbs. How much towing capacity would you really be using?

BMWDave

QuoteA GX470 tows 6,500 lbs, and the Range Rover tows 7,700 lbs. How much towing capacity would you really be using?
Thats right! :rockon:

The last gen Escalade could tow 8100 pounds, only in AWD configuration.  In 2wd, if could only tow 7400 pounds.  Spend the money on the Range Rover, get some real class and British charm  :praise:  :D  

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

850CSi

I see a bit of Lexus ES in the interior

Raghavan

QuoteA GX470 tows 6,500 lbs, and the Range Rover tows 7,700 lbs. How much towing capacity would you really be using?

The last gen Escalade could tow 8100 pounds, only in AWD configuration.  In 2wd, if could only tow 7400 pounds.  Spend the money on the Range Rover, get some real class and British charm  :praise:  :D
And British unreliablilty. :rolleyes:  :lol:  ;)  

BMWDave

And British unreliablilty. :rolleyes:  :lol:  ;)
My Disco has been extremely, extremely dependable...

2007 Honda S2000

ifcar

QuoteI see a bit of Lexus ES in the interior
I see Highlander on the passenger-side dash.  

TBR

The ratings don't mean much. For example, Dave's Discovery is rated at 7500 lbs IIRC, but there is no way it could handle that much weight at highway speeds (and just think about how little stability there would be!). For 5000+ towing you really need a fullsize vehicle, with fullsize power and weight, neither the Range Rover nor the GX470 meet those qualifications (and, the GX470's rating is a little too low anyway).

BMWDave

The ratings don't mean much. For example, Dave's Discovery is rated at 7500 lbs IIRC, but there is no way it could handle that much weight at highway speeds (and just think about how little stability there would be!). For 5000+ towing you really need a fullsize vehicle, with fullsize power and weight, neither the Range Rover nor the GX470 meet those qualifications (and, the GX470's rating is a little too low anyway).
7700 pounds, you idiot :angry:  :praise:

Actually, what do you consider highway speeds?  If youre towing such a load, the absolute MOST you should go is 40-45 mph, in any vehicle.  My LR can tow up to 5500 pounds in regular configuration, and when I switch it to low range, the rating goes up to 7700 pounds.  SO I would think that my Disco can easily tow ~7000 pounds in low range.

2007 Honda S2000