Go fast or Feel fast - Which one do you REALLY want?

Started by FlatBlackCaddy, June 24, 2013, 02:42:57 PM

Go fast or Feel fast - Which one do you REALLY want?

Go Fast
5 (27.8%)
Feel Fast
13 (72.2%)

Total Members Voted: 16

hotrodalex

I never saw Craig or anyone else trying to define fun with a concrete definition. They say what they have found to be fun, but I never saw them say "everything else isn't fun".

Although really, if you like cars then you can probably find a way to have fun in just about anything. I could have fun in a Prius by trying to get the lowest MPG, for example. And I find huge trucks fun just because they're huge (the dump truck loving kid coming out, I guess). And sports cars are fun for obvious reasons.

Cookie Monster

Well, Craig is the one who said the LaFerrari will be flat out boring, and MrH is trying to figure out how he can just dismiss the LaFerrari so quickly and what metric he is using to define that it's a boring car.

RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

MrH

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 26, 2013, 11:07:27 AM
I never saw Craig or anyone else trying to define fun with a concrete definition. They say what they have found to be fun, but I never saw them say "everything else isn't fun".

Although really, if you like cars then you can probably find a way to have fun in just about anything. I could have fun in a Prius by trying to get the lowest MPG, for example. And I find huge trucks fun just because they're huge (the dump truck loving kid coming out, I guess). And sports cars are fun for obvious reasons.

Apparently that's not true to a lot of this forum.

Quote from: thecarnut on June 26, 2013, 11:10:23 AM
Well, Craig is the one who said the LaFerrari will be flat out boring, and MrH is trying to figure out how he can just dismiss the LaFerrari so quickly and what metric he is using to define that it's a boring car.

Exactly.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on June 26, 2013, 11:16:10 AM

That car's limit is WAY TOO HIGH!!  There's no way I can have fun in it because it's harder to reach a point where I can mess up and crash the car.......

MrH

Quote from: NomisR on June 26, 2013, 11:54:51 AM
That car's limit is WAY TOO HIGH!!  There's no way I can have fun in it because it's harder to reach a point where I can mess up and crash the car.......

:lol:  more like, "it's harder to reach a point I never reach anyways, where I don't have the skill to keep from crashing!"
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Nah, somewhere along the line when the argument was being lost that new cars are less "engaging" to drive or weren't as good or w/e, there was an attempt at diverting the argument to which is more "fun." This mostly loses too, in context.

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on June 26, 2013, 10:43:49 AM

So fun is defined by what percentage of the limit you can reach on the street?  You act like you're power sliding an old MG through every corner.  You drive an AWD G37.  You're not reaching those limits.
I drive my car pretty hard.  It's a lot of fun, but (and I have stated this before), my much slower SVT Focus was more fun because I could reach it's limits a lot sooner and much less dangerously.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on June 26, 2013, 12:02:31 PM
Nah, somewhere along the line when the argument was being lost that new cars are less "engaging" to drive or weren't as good or w/e, there was an attempt at diverting the argument to which is more "fun." This mostly loses too, in context.
You really have no fucking clue.

Raza

Quote from: MrH on June 26, 2013, 11:16:10 AM

LaFerrari isn't a sports car.  It's a GT.  Fixed roof, automatic transmission.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on June 26, 2013, 10:52:38 AM
Every car you drive is heralded as the best thing on the road.  You fell in love with your SVT focus, then the 3-series, then the G37. 
Huh.  Imagine that.  I drive those three great cars and I fall in love with all three of them.  Crazy, I know.

QuoteIf you want to talk about a "driver's car" in any sense outside of Jalopnik posters, there's no rational defense of the live axle on the mustang.  There are so many competitor's with lower limits that are much better to drive.
See, now you are defining "driver's car" by an axle.  How fucking stupid is that?  And yes, there are slower cars that are better drives...including YOUR car.  But I suppose you'll argue with me on that too.

QuoteI'm just making the same point.  If a LaFerrari is boring based solely on the fact you can't explore it's limits, does that mean exploring the limits of a car is the defining quality that makes a car "fun"?
I don't know how many times I have to say it, so I'm not going to anymore. 

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on June 26, 2013, 12:10:01 PM

There's not that many true sports car today anyways .. by definition.

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on June 26, 2013, 12:38:21 PM
There's not that many true sports car today anyways .. by definition.

Sad, isn't it?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on June 26, 2013, 12:00:58 PM
:lol:  more like, "it's harder to reach a point I never reach anyways, where I don't have the skill to keep from crashing!"
Wasn't this how you rationalized the EZ-Drive™ transmission in the 991 GT3?
Quote from: GoCougs on June 26, 2013, 12:02:31 PM
Nah, somewhere along the line when the argument was being lost that new cars are less "engaging" to drive
They aren't :huh: Manufacturers HAVE to remove drivers from the equation now, because the kinds of people who buy supercars now don't have the skills to fully control them.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on June 26, 2013, 10:43:49 AM

So fun is defined by what percentage of the limit you can reach on the street?  You act like you're power sliding an old MG through every corner.  You drive an AWD G37.  You're not reaching those limits.
Enthusiasm isn't defined by 1) driving like an idiot on public streets or 2)only owning cars that exist for the sole purpose of driving engagement. If people had to drive what they "believed in" there would probably only be about 2-3 posters here, and you wouldn't be one of them (something like an EVO X SST would be way more of an endorsement of the driving tech you purport as the root of new driving fun than the thoroughly analog + old school BFRZ).

Driving something like a LaFerrari on the street is like bagging a VS supermodel and just getting to hold her hand in public. It just seems pointless to me. It's so far out of its element anywhere but a very fast closed course.

FlatBlackCaddy

Who new that arguing opinions was a dead end?

Just to be safe let's give it a try for another 4 pages or so.

hotrodalex

Quote from: Raza  on June 26, 2013, 12:10:01 PM

Exactly. :lol:

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on June 26, 2013, 02:12:16 PM
Who new that arguing opinions was a dead end?

Just to be safe let's give it a try for another 4 pages or so.

:golfclap:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 26, 2013, 02:00:16 PM
They aren't :huh: Manufacturers HAVE to remove drivers from the equation now, because the kinds of people who buy supercars now don't have the skills to fully control them.

Nah, those buying super cars today are the same buying super cars then - celebrities, royalty, etc., - and they've never been able to "fully" control a super car of any vintage.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on June 26, 2013, 04:26:39 PM
Nah, those buying super cars today are the same buying super cars then - celebrities, royalty, etc., - and they've never been able to "fully" control a super car of any vintage.
Like I said earlier... a "supercar" back in the day is about as fast as a modern base 911. Fast and beyond Joe Eight Figures' abilities, but several leagues away from something like a LaFerrari, which is probably faster than a Countach era F1 car. "Its awesome that we can have F1 performance on the street" Yes now we just need the roads and drivers to make sense of that capacity.

NomisR

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 26, 2013, 04:48:00 PM
Like I said earlier... a "supercar" back in the day is about as fast as a modern base 911. Fast and beyond Joe Eight Figures' abilities, but several leagues away from something like a LaFerrari, which is probably faster than a Countach era F1 car. "Its awesome that we can have F1 performance on the street" Yes now we just need the roads and drivers to make sense of that capacity.

What's wrong with having too much ability for your own good.  The modern Ferraris has enough electronic nannies to keep you in line if needed and you're also free to turn it off if you feel like you can handle it.  And I bet just simply driving through an empty canyon road, it's still way more fun than a Miata.  Now, bumper to bumper traffic OTOH.... i'd rather be in the back of a Rolls Royce or something like that..

MexicoCityM3

Lol at the all the "LaFerrari won't be fun because its limits are too high." proponents here.

Just plodding along in it will be fun. Revving it will be fun. Getting scared shitless when dipping on the throttle will be fun. Arriving anywhere in it will be fun. Departing anywhere in it will be fun.

And lots of owners will track it.

Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

CALL_911

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on June 26, 2013, 05:17:50 PM
Lol at the all the "LaFerrari won't be fun because its limits are too high." proponents here.

Just plodding along in it will be fun. Revving it will be fun. Getting scared shitless when dipping on the throttle will be fun. Arriving anywhere in it will be fun. Departing anywhere in it will be fun.

And lots of owners will track it.

/thread

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 26, 2013, 04:48:00 PM

A Miura, Countach, 308/328, 930T, etc., will be WAY harder to drive, at any level, than any equivalent today.

NomisR

Quote from: GoCougs on June 26, 2013, 05:51:47 PM
A Miura, Countach, 308/328, 930T, etc., will be WAY harder to drive, at any level, than any equivalent today.

Providing they would even start...

GoCougs

Quote from: NomisR on June 26, 2013, 05:55:48 PM
Providing they would even start...

Super cars were pretty sucky for quite some time. It mostly started with the Miura, which is one of the best all time, but man did it suck from there on out - Countach, Jalpa, Bora, 308/328, Mondial, etc. Not till the Testarossa did things start to get better and not until the F360 and Gallardo did things get REALLY good.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on June 26, 2013, 06:15:01 PM
Super cars were pretty sucky for quite some time. It mostly started with the Miura, which is one of the best all time, but man did it suck from there on out - Countach, Jalpa, Bora, 308/328, Mondial, etc. Not till the Testarossa did things start to get better and not until the F360 and Gallardo did things get REALLY good.
How was the Miura better than the Countach in your opinion?
Quote from: GoCougs on June 26, 2013, 05:51:47 PM
Only physically because of the crap shift and pedal linkages....

But lol @ a 1000 HP car being easier to drive at the limit than a 230HP 308. Also nice strawman  :golfclap:

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on June 26, 2013, 06:27:04 PM
How was the Miura better than the Countach in your opinion?

Exterior design, craftsmanship and practicality.

Only physically because of the crap shift and pedal linkages....

But lol @ a 1000 HP car being easier to drive at the limit than a 230HP 308. Also nice strawman  :golfclap:

Ha, ha! You strap yourself into a vintage 911 or Countach or 308 or F40 or w/e without TC, SC and ABS and let's see how long it takes you to pile it into a wall trying to drive it at more than about 5/10 ths ;).

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on June 26, 2013, 07:40:01 PM
Exterior design, craftsmanship and practicality.

Ha, ha! You strap yourself into a vintage 911 or Countach or 308 or F40 or w/e without TC, SC and ABS and let's see how long it takes you to pile it into a wall trying to drive it at more than about 5/10 ths ;).
Yea Im pretty sure a 200HP vintage 911 wouldn't be harder to drive than a 900HP anything at full tilt for a myriad of reasons

But this discussion has officially gone full retard

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 26, 2013, 09:00:51 PM
Just read this article and thought of this thread...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/overview/1303_2013_ford_focus_st_2013_subaru_brz/

Good read, really makes sense in the context of this thread. Though my original(and current) intent wasn't about comparing specific cars, this does show the result of two different companies and the design decisions that result in 2 very different examples of performance.