Keep the Focus?

Started by 280Z Turbo, June 27, 2013, 08:26:19 PM

Should I keep the Focus as a winter beater?

Yes
5 (62.5%)
No
1 (12.5%)
Drive poverty car forever to be more financially conservative
2 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 8

MX793

Quote from: MrH on June 28, 2013, 01:52:27 PM
So your mustang sits outside all summer?  I like putting the BRZ in the garage.  It keeps it so much cleaner.

It sits outside in the parking lot at work for near half of every weekday anyway.  I'm not a fanatic about having a spotlessly clean car.  It's rained here more days than not this month and 6 of the past 7 days.  Driving on wet roads or in the rain roughly every other day, the car isn't going to stay clean long and I'm not going to wash it more than once a week so I just accept that it's going to be a little dirty more often than not.  And in the spring there's so much pollen in the air that you could wash your car twice a day and it won't stay clean, even if you park it in the garage when you're at home.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MrH on June 28, 2013, 01:27:01 PM
Well, depends on how much space you have.  The way I viewed it, it's another car to have to store.  I've got a garage with space for one car.  It'd require a lot of cleaning out and would be a tight fit to get another one in there.

Perhaps more importantly, he doesn't have the money from the Focus to put towards the BRZ too.  I considered doing a second car with my Miata, which was paid off at the time.  But I was almost just as happy getting the BRZ alone, which I paid for largely with the miata.  I guess the costs involved with having two cars isn't significant when you've got a car that's not worth much to begin with.  To me, it was Miata + WRX or similar, which was drastically more expensive than just getting the BRZ.

Any idea what the Focus is still worth? 

Maybe $3000? The rust is advancing pretty fast.

I wouldn't insure both cars at the same time and storage is free. The only issue is keeping the Focus from rusting in half. :lol:

Rupert

Eh, just weld some angle iron across the middle.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

280Z Turbo

Rupert

Sure.

I meant to hold the thing together, but that sounds better. :lol:
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

280Z Turbo

No, no. I want to use zinc blocks for sacrificial anodes.

An angle iron x brace should hold the car together a bit longer though.

hotrodalex

Might as well go all the way and use square tubing. Then it'll outlast the BRZ! You'll pretty much have a Flintstone car, but it won't break in two.

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on June 28, 2013, 01:52:27 PM
So your mustang sits outside all summer?  I like putting the BRZ in the garage.  It keeps it so much cleaner.
It would stay even cleaner if you just had a carport.

:lol:

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

I've done the multi-car thing - it's not worth it, and not only because of double the insurance - it's double the maintenance, double the space, just double the hassle.

As to keeping your car in tip-top form respect your car get covered parking/carport but not a garage. Heat + delayed drying + stagnant air speeds up the corrosion process - bad for salt but even worse if your area uses chemical deicers. 

280Z Turbo

Is it that crazy that I'm afraid of rust? I've owned a first gen Ford Ranger, '76 Datsun, and first gen Focus. These are all fairly rust prone cars.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: GoCougs on June 29, 2013, 01:03:19 PM
I've done the multi-car thing - it's not worth it, and not only because of double the insurance - it's double the maintenance, double the space, just double the hassle.

As to keeping your car in tip-top form respect your car get covered parking/carport but not a garage. Heat + delayed drying + stagnant air speeds up the corrosion process - bad for salt but even worse if your area uses chemical deicers. 

It's not double the insurance. And space is not an issue.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on June 29, 2013, 01:03:19 PM

You didn't get a discount on the second car? When I've done that, the second car cost about 60% of the first.

You're not driving twice as many miles, so I fail to see how its twice the maintenance.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 29, 2013, 02:07:02 PM
You didn't get a discount on the second car? When I've done that, the second car cost about 60% of the first.

Wouldn't matter to me, because I would never insure both cars concurrently.

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on June 29, 2013, 02:07:02 PM

You're not driving twice as many miles, so I fail to see how its twice the maintenance.

Insurance depends on the vehicle - the G37x is ~47% higher than the Accord and the Tacoma was somewhere in between. The Demon was a "classic" to be driven under 5,000/year and it was dirt cheap (like $20/mo for full coverage).

Maintenance is time based too, plus if you're a deterministic owner it's also going to mean twice as much cleaning and attention in general.

GoCougs

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on June 29, 2013, 02:49:15 PM
Wouldn't matter to me, because I would never insure both cars concurrently.

Want about comprehensive for theft, vandalism, etc.?

hotrodalex

If you store your car in a garage, it doesn't need to be cleaned...  ;)

280Z Turbo

Quote from: GoCougs on June 29, 2013, 08:41:07 PM

That's not a concern at my parents house, but I suppose I would put storage insurance on it.

Rupert

Home owners's/renter's should cover that stuff when it's parked at home.

Rupert

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 29, 2013, 08:42:38 PM

But then it will suffocate and corrode.

GoCougs

Quote from: Rupert on June 29, 2013, 09:18:35 PM

"Should" is the word of the devil, especially on the InnerTruths ;).

A standard homeowner's policy will not cover a car (damaged on the property or otherwise).

GoCougs

Quote from: hotrodalex on June 29, 2013, 08:42:38 PM

How do cars get dirty?

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on June 29, 2013, 09:18:35 PM
Nope.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on June 29, 2013, 08:41:07 PM
That's like $10 a month.

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on June 29, 2013, 09:48:45 PM
How do cars get dirty?

Driving and parking outside. If stored for 6 months, they'll only get dusty. A simple car cover can solve that, or you just wash it when you take it out.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on June 29, 2013, 08:40:29 PM
Insurance depends on the vehicle - the G37x is ~47% higher than the Accord and the Tacoma was somewhere in between. The Demon was a "classic" to be driven under 5,000/year and it was dirt cheap (like $20/mo for full coverage).

Maintenance is time based too, plus if you're a deterministic owner it's also going to mean twice as much cleaning and attention in general.

Gee, no shit- next you're going to tell me its based on your driving record and age too.

Insuring a car as a second car almost always incurs a discount compared to that exact same car being your only car. Is that clearly enough spelled out for you?

And doing your maintenance based on the time schedule? Maybe for the one you want to keep nice.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

GoCougs

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on June 28, 2013, 12:59:29 PM
You can own a car without it being insured anywhere in the US.  You may not be able to register a car without insurance everywhere (in NY, if you drop insurance you have to turn in your registration and plates or be fined for every day you're registered and not insured).

Ah, that's probably what I was thinking of then.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

CALL_911

I say nay to keeping the Focus. A second car is expensive to keep around, and I'm not sure why a car like the BRZ shouldn't see the winter. It isn't exactly a Ferrari we're talking about here.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on June 29, 2013, 10:13:41 PM
Nope.

My renter's policy does, but it might be only if it's in the garage. That's the question I asked, and they replied in the affirmative.