The Ultimate Daily Driver?

Started by MrH, July 01, 2013, 06:23:49 PM

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on July 17, 2013, 12:46:23 PM
Because you are talking a out factory pecs and typical Ferrari owners, that's why. Guess where the typical Ferrari owner gets his late model Ferrari repaired.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on July 17, 2013, 12:09:46 PM
People who choose to spend a bunch of money on a late-model Ferrari and going to choose to spend a bunch of money in repairing it properly.
Maybe and maybe not. I don't imagine someone who doesn't know shit about cars getting into an accident and specifying which place their cars go, be it a Ferrari or a Fiat. And again, just cause they take it to a Ferrari dealer doesn't mean the dealer is doing the work, or getting the work done to OEM standards....
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 17, 2013, 02:08:10 PM
Maybe and maybe not. I don't imagine someone who doesn't know shit about cars getting into an accident and specifying which place their cars go, be it a Ferrari or a Fiat. And again, just cause they take it to a Ferrari dealer doesn't mean the dealer is doing the work, or getting the work done to OEM standards....

Given how controlling Ferrari is, it wouldn't surprise me if they required dealerships in their network to only use Ferrari approved body shops (if the shop is not internal to the dealership, and any internal body shops I'm sure would need to be approved).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Ferrari is nuts about tests, but I doubt that continues once the cars are sold. Ferrari rigging tests = (fascist) marketing. Ferrari controlling bodywork on crashed cars = wasted time & money.

Onslaught

I've worked on two Ferrari's at a Ford/Mazda dealership body shop. It's not that big of a deal as one would think and they aren't made out of magic.

Onslaught

As for my ultimate daily driver I'm going with the Aston Martin Vanquish. If it's the "ultimate" then I'm in fantasy land and money is no object. And if money is no object then I'm not going to work everyday and be sitting in traffic like I do now as a normal lowly poor person. What I'd be doing is playing golf 4-5 times a week and going downtown and parking in front of a wine bar so I can pick up hot ass. Or at the very least get drunk as shit off fine wine.  And I've never known a woman that didn't love an Aston Martin so I'd probably get some too. So I can have a fast, fun and comfortable car to tool around town and pick up poon in as my DD. If I wanted to track something I'd have more cars in my massive garage.

Well, back from dream land. I'll have to stick with my cheap cars.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 17, 2013, 08:24:46 PM
Ferrari is nuts about tests, but I doubt that continues once the cars are sold. Ferrari rigging tests = (fascist) marketing. Ferrari controlling bodywork on crashed cars = wasted time & money.

Ferrari controls who can buy their vehicles.  You can't buy a new Ferrari unless you are a current Ferrari owner.

Obviously, Ferrari can't make an individual owner take their car to a Ferrari approved body shop, but I'll bet my lunch that the dealerships are instructed to only direct customers to approved body shops (or to only send cars left with them for body work to approved shops).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on July 18, 2013, 12:34:40 PM
Ferrari controls who can buy their vehicles.  You can't buy a new Ferrari unless you are a current Ferrari owner.

Obviously, Ferrari can't make an individual owner take their car to a Ferrari approved body shop, but I'll bet my lunch that the dealerships are instructed to only direct customers to approved body shops (or to only send cars left with them for body work to approved shops).

I don't think that's the case.  I think you can't buy higher end Ferraris unless you have another Ferrari first.  You can probably buy a 458 or California if you haven't bought one before.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: Raza  on July 18, 2013, 01:08:13 PM
I don't think that's the case.  I think you can't buy higher end Ferraris unless you have another Ferrari first.  You can probably buy a 458 or California if you haven't bought one before.

AFAIK the only models that are limited are the really exclusive ones. F40, F50, Enzo, LaFerrari, so on. Anyone can buy from the "regular lineup". California, 458, F12, FF, etc.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Onslaught

Quote from: MX793 on July 18, 2013, 12:34:40 PM

All dealerships have a body shop that they send work to. Regardless of the brand. I don't know if this is still the case or not but as far as I know all dealerships must have a service department and body shop. If they don't have one themselves then they must have one that works on cars for them. But just because the Ferrari dealership has a body shop they use in no way means the owner must use it. You can take your car to any shop you want.

Lebowski

Depends on how hot the model is, but it doesn't have to be an Enzo to be restricted.  458 might be more widely widely available now but not when it was newer.

My boss (not my direct boss, one of the sr partners) is on his 3rd Ferrari, a 458 which follows a 599 and a 575 before that. 575 was his first, and that was towards the end of its product cycle ... I think buying that first car closer to the end of its life is the price you have to pay to get allocations of newer products later on. Even then, he waited something like 18 mos for his 458.

MexicoCityM3

Only on the Spin can a thread about daily drivers end up discussing Ferrari's sales policies.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

Raza

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on July 18, 2013, 05:36:25 PM
Only on the Spin can a thread about daily drivers end up discussing Ferrari's sales policies.

Only on Spin can people get upset when other people don't want to drive to work in an Aventador everyday.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

J86

MrH

Only on the Spin is a LaFerrari called "boring" ;) :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

NomisR

Quote from: MrH on July 19, 2013, 02:03:30 PM
Only on the Spin is a LaFerrari called "boring" ;) :lol:

Focus is more fun than a Ferrari

GoCougs

Gotta-Qik-C7

2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

Rich

2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

hotrodalex

12,000 RPM

Quote from: HotRodPilot on July 20, 2013, 09:59:19 AM

Or maybe this
Something like this is way more exciting to me than a LaFerrari. Makes more sense to drive and park regularly in public too. They should make one of these with a little hybrid system. It would prob avg over 70, 80, 100 MPG

12,000 RPM

O and we can play this game all day. "Only on the 'SPIN is it encouraged to masturbate to 'Ring times"

hotrodalex

It makes more sense to drive a car that requires a helmet for highway speeds?

12,000 RPM

A LaFerrari would get keyed daily. And with earplugs or good headphones a helmet isn't that bad. Esp w/a windscreen

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 22, 2013, 07:13:58 AM
Something like this is way more exciting to me than a LaFerrari. Makes more sense to drive and park regularly in public too. They should make one of these with a little hybrid system. It would prob avg over 70, 80, 100 MPG

You mixed up the medications again. Gotta be more careful.
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 22, 2013, 07:15:10 AM
O and we can play this game all day. "Only on the 'SPIN is it encouraged to masturbate to 'Ring times"

No, just appreciate performance and not write off a car as boring before anyone drives it :rolleyes:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV