TDI vs gas 6cyl in the Q5

Started by BENZ BOY15, July 13, 2013, 01:21:53 PM

AltinD

2016 KIA Sportage EX Plus, CRDI 2.0T diesel, 185 HP, AWD

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: GoCougs on July 15, 2013, 02:23:21 PM
Make no mistake though, the newest and most refined of diesels today are notably noisier, stinkier, dirtier and rougher than the cheapest of modern gasoline engines.

I dunno man. I rode in a couple of diesel Audis/benzes in Spain and it wasn't that noticeable. In fact, I don't recall thinking this engine seems like it sucks compared to gas. Of course, I wasn't driving so maybe it's different.

But given the popularity of diesel in Europe, even for luxury cars....so I can't imagine it's bad.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: AltinD on July 15, 2013, 03:07:35 PM
... or seen

Well you have a VW and are seemingly familiar with VW/Audi...what do you think about the TDI engine?

GoCougs

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on July 15, 2013, 03:41:08 PM
I dunno man. I rode in a couple of diesel Audis/benzes in Spain and it wasn't that noticeable. In fact, I don't recall thinking this engine seems like it sucks compared to gas. Of course, I wasn't driving so maybe it's different.

But given the popularity of diesel in Europe, even for luxury cars....so I can't imagine it's bad.

Read very very careful what I wrote.

BENZ BOY15

I did...my point was that there didn't appear to be that bad. It felt fine.

But it's up to them and honestly, it's hard to go "wrong" with either the TDI/3.0T. The TDI has 428 lb ft/ torque....

Mustangfan2003

Well when I had my diesel car I never had any trouble finding a station with diesel.  Some of the no name hole in the wall didn't have diesel but pretty much every Shell and Chevron station had it.  I'd buy another in a heartbeat. 

Raza

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 15, 2013, 07:28:04 PM
Well when I had my diesel car I never had any trouble finding a station with diesel.  Some of the no name hole in the wall didn't have diesel but pretty much every Shell and Chevron station had it.  I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I think part of it is that if you don't have a diesel car, you don't look for diesel.  Just like I never know what regular gas costs because I've only ever had cars that take premium.  I was typing a post earlier saying that I didn't even know of a single gas station near me that had diesel, then I realized that the gas station I fill up at regularly has diesels--10 cents per gallon off diesel on Mondays, even (20 cents off for premium on Tuesdays). 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on July 15, 2013, 01:56:49 PM
I'm gonna bet that beyond the buzz and noise she's going to notice (and not like) the throttle lag that all diesels inherently have. Also, a lot of people (girls esp. IME) don't like the dirty, stinky and stain-inducing nature of diesel fuel - from soot on the bumper to stains around the gas cap to stains on and around the pump at the gas station to that it is much harder to remove if you get it on your shoes or clothes (and sometimes the stains are permanent).

Do you have continual problems with spilling gasoline on yourself?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Mustangfan2003

Wished stations here had deals like that.  Some of them do charge less for diesel if you pay with cash. 

Raza

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on July 15, 2013, 08:03:25 PM
Wished stations here had deals like that.  Some of them do charge less for diesel if you pay with cash.

That went away for a long time, and then slowly the cash discount crept back.  Still, not too many stations I see do that. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cawimmer430

In my experience modern diesels are just "loud" at start-up when they're cold. Once they're properly warmed-up and have reached their optimal operating temperature they'll be much quieter.

Also, it seems to me that diesels get quieter with age and mileage. Not to long ago I rode in a mid-1990s pre-facelift Mercedes W210 E-Class taxi (not sure which model) that had over 420,000+ km on it and the engine could hardly be heard. I've seen this "phenomenon" on many high mileage Mercedes' diesel taxis that I've ridden in. Whether this is a fact, I don't know, it's just an observation on my part and my experience working for a Mercedes' dealer in 2005 and driving many new diesel cars that were a bit louder when warm than a run-in diesel taxi.
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

SJ_GTI

I am a big fan of the 3.0T engine (its the engine in my car). This is my first time having a car with a supercharged engine (had a couple turbo-charged engines in previous cars) and I really like how smooth the power delivery is. It just feels like there is a larger engine under the hood. I get decent gas mileage, about ~20-22 MPG driving around town (I don't do much highway driving anymore since I moved closer to where I work). Obviously my engine is mated to a 6-speed manual, but I suspect given the characteristics of the engine itself it is probably much more suited to an automatic than a turbocharged engine.

Colin

So my car has the 3.0T supercharged engine in it as well, and mine has the 7 speed DSG which is an awesome combination. The engine roars if you want it to, but is quiet and docile if you are feeling more restrained, and the DSG really does change gear as seamlessly and quickly as James May illustrated on last Sunday's Top Gear.

BENZ BOY15

Yeah I like that engine too.

Quote from: SJ_GTI on July 16, 2013, 06:23:56 AM
I am a big fan of the 3.0T engine (its the engine in my car). This is my first time having a car with a supercharged engine (had a couple turbo-charged engines in previous cars) and I really like how smooth the power delivery is. It just feels like there is a larger engine under the hood. I get decent gas mileage, about ~20-22 MPG driving around town (I don't do much highway driving anymore since I moved closer to where I work). Obviously my engine is mated to a 6-speed manual, but I suspect given the characteristics of the engine itself it is probably much more suited to an automatic than a turbocharged engine.

For some reason I thought you had the 2.0. And yes, the turbo engine wasn't slow....but it was loud inside and not as refined. Or at least that was the conclusion my parents reached. They had nothing wrong to say about the 3.0.

On a different note, what do you guys think about the XC60 or the MDX?

SJ_GTI

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on July 16, 2013, 01:37:56 PM
Yeah I like that engine too.

For some reason I thought you had the 2.0. And yes, the turbo engine wasn't slow....but it was loud inside and not as refined. Or at least that was the conclusion my parents reached. They had nothing wrong to say about the 3.0.

On a different note, what do you guys think about the XC60 or the MDX?

I drive an S4, only engine option is the 3.0T. I used to drive a GTI which had the 2.0T engine though (younger brother has that car now).

r0tor

I would go 3.0T... Wouldn't really consider a diesel unless it was being used for towing
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

BENZ BOY15

I told her to step her game up and get a regular range rover. Not too sure about the Cherokee...don't think it's exactly what they're lookin for. Won't buy any sort of land rover because its pretentious and they're not very reliable. CR gave the Q5 very high marks.

BENZ BOY15

Update: diesel and the 2.0 are out. The 2.0 was loud, not quick and they weren't feeling it after driving the 3.0. Diesel isn't really needed.

She drove the MDX and said it just gets blown away by the Audi.....and the xc60! She LOVED that car and it seems really nice.

So at this point it's a tossup between the Audi and the Volvo.

S204STi

If It's the same tdi found in the Q7, definitely yes.   Very powerful, incredible nvh.

Laconian

How do the seats compare?

The Volvo seats are crazy comfy IMO.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Laconian on July 28, 2013, 09:38:22 PM

I don't know....I wasn't there to examine it. But they really liked it.

BENZ BOY15

Car purchased, pick up tonight!

Black Volvo XC60 T6 Platinum package & loaded. I can't wait to see it.

mzziaz

Cuore Sportivo

MrH

Congrats!  Say hello to the Zedong family for me :lol:
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: mzziaz on August 01, 2013, 12:38:23 AM
Good choice, excellent car.

It's cool but it isn't mine. That said, I do want to drive it....and I will. :lol:

I drove a T6 (not the one we're getting) and I thought it was great. Dare I say the interior seemed better WRT quality & design than the Audi Q5. It was easier to operate and I prefer the buttons. The pickup is pretty good and I loved the blind-spot warning. In addition, the parking warning system is perfect for my mom....who isn't the best of drivers. In fact, she's terrible.

It is a cool car though, even more so because it has all the upgrades. The upgraded sound system is great too, but what's shitty is that I'm not sure if we can pick it up today because it depends if my parents have time. The dealer has to show them how everything works; my parents are not adept at all with technology. They also have to check it for scratches and stuff....but it is at the dealer.

Black is also the best color on it, IMO. Not sure about the tan interior they got, but that's okay. As I said before, I loved the interior; the steering wheel especially is nice & solid. The turning radius is very tight and the ride is nice too.

I gotta say, it is a great car. Not as flashy as the Benz/BMW/Audi, but that's perfect for them.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: mzziaz on August 01, 2013, 12:38:23 AM
Good choice, excellent car.

Yeah, it is a great car....I didn't think of it at first & they were VERY close to getting the Audi. They probably would have bought it but they didn't want the ones that they had on the lot. It was Clay that suggested the XC60 (shocking!) and what do you know, they ended up getting it. He was adamant that it was the best one out of the small crossover/suburban mom segment and I now have to agree.

Quote from: MrH on August 01, 2013, 07:59:32 AM

:lol:

According to my Mom, I'm a right wing reactionary....our political conversations don't end well. My Dad says I'm a hopeless liberal who will change once I get older & start making real money. It has yet to happen with my Mom though.

Quote from: Laconian on July 28, 2013, 09:38:22 PM

They indeed are. What I love about them is that the leather is very soft and just feels like a quality material. Even in the back seat it's comfortable...yeah it's not roomy like a large SUV, but it works. Especially because nobody is really that tall in my family....that said, they felt like the Q5 was more cramped.

The front seats are killer though...it's one of the main reasons they liked it so much.

BENZ BOY15

This isn't it, but it should look exactly like it (edit: actually not, the other/first pics was of the R design)....this is what it should look like:

Black is clearly the best color & a black interior goes great with it....not sure why they picked the tan.

Laconian

Quote from: MrH on August 01, 2013, 07:59:32 AM

Mao is the surname, they come first.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT