Sporty's 350Z thread

Started by 12,000 RPM, July 22, 2013, 02:55:36 PM

SVT666

How about a 10 year old Mazda 6 or a Mazdaspeed 6? Those would be far more fun than an Accord.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: afty on September 18, 2014, 10:35:59 PM
Have you considered a radar detector?
Yea, I think this is going to be mandatory regardless of what I do.

Re: Miatas....  :pee:

If practicality & road noise are concerned.... seems pretty stupid to go from a Z something even more impractical and unrefined. Plus they are just as overpriced as Accords, and would get washed by a modded Accord in a straight line. I test drove an NB for the hell of it and while it was kind of fun, it was basically everything bad about the Z turned up a little bit with 1/2 the performance, for the same $$$. No, if I were to go the 2 seater route I'd go with something more obscure/cerebral like an MR-S or S2000. MR-Ss are also severely overpriced down here though.

Quote from: Rupert on September 18, 2014, 07:53:23 PM
I mean, you're basically saying you want to buy a worse car than the one you have.

I get that the Z is not doing it for you, but it seems like there are way more interesting and better cars that would suit your needs.
"Worse" how?

And for 8ish K what "way more interesting and better" legit 4 seater cars that get ~27 MPG combined on regular are there? I'm sure a Mazda 6 is marginally better but I doubt it comes close to even splitting the difference between an Accord and a Z. I will check them out but my expectations are low... it's still a ~3300lb FWD 4 banger sedan.

Anything like a 3 series or a Saab is out... well, I am still thinking about an E36 if the planets align for it... but for the most part, not much cheaper to run and potential for "character flares" I don't have time for. Even the TSX is borderline as it needs premium...

Remember... I drive ~500 miles a week. That's 26K miles a year. When I bought the Z I did not anticipate such a long commute. As fun as it is it's not the car for that kind of duty. If all I cared about was fun I probably would have got something else to be totally honest.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Soup DeVille

The idea behind the Miata is that it gives you the same thrills at lower speeds; the idea isn't that it'll get beaten by an Accord: but that it'll be more fun than one. There's some truth to this idea, but if it aint your thing, it aint your thing.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

AutobahnSHO

Go buy a friggin buick if you want boring power....

It would be way faster and "refined" than your old honda.
Will

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 19, 2014, 03:34:51 AM
The idea behind the Miata is that it gives you the same thrills at lower speeds; the idea isn't that it'll get beaten by an Accord: but that it'll be more fun than one. There's some truth to this idea, but if it aint your thing, it aint your thing.

Exactly. Plus I drove mine full throttle up to 4th gear every light and never got under 28mpg.
Will

Tave

I was surprised you got the Z in the first place since you already had a bike. What about the RSX-S instead? I'd go for the 4-door if I was buying an Accord.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

r0tor

Your going to blow more money on mods trying to convince yourself you didn't make a mistake then save on gas.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on September 19, 2014, 03:34:51 AM
I get it. If I were looking for my first track car I'd consider it. But it's not a car I would want to drive 500 miles a week, or a car I would want to take on road trips or go out in.

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 19, 2014, 04:11:25 AM
Go buy a friggin buick if you want boring power....

It would be way faster and "refined" than your old honda.
I'm looking at 160HP 3100lb cars.... "power" is not a factor here.

Quote from: Tave on September 19, 2014, 05:48:31 AM
I was surprised you got the Z in the first place since you already had a bike. What about the RSX-S instead? I'd go for the 4-door if I was buying an Accord.
They don't make a 4 door RSX. I wish they did. They have a tarted up Civic in Canada called the CSX. I would do one of those in a heartbeat. The TSX could work though.

Quote from: r0tor on September 19, 2014, 05:51:30 AM
Your going to blow more money on mods trying to convince yourself you didn't make a mistake then save on gas.
Doubtful. I'm going to save $1700/yr in gas alone... I won't spend that much on mods.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on September 18, 2014, 11:22:59 PM
How about a 10 year old Mazda 6 or a Mazdaspeed 6? Those would be far more fun than an Accord.
That engine is crap and unless you nuke the clutch that car isn't that fast. 5-60 from a roll is about 7 seconds. Accord is about 8. And it guzzles premium gas like my car. For that money I'd rather get a 330i.

SJ_GTI

I actually kind of understand where 12,000 is coming from. If I had a commute like that I probably wouldn't want to drive a sports car back and forth.

That being said, I personally wouldn't go with an Accord. I think I'd prefer something newer like a Fusion or Malibu (will be able to get a newer model for about the same price), or maybe go smaller and look at a Civic, Focus, or Mazda 3 (particularly with a hatchback).

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 19, 2014, 05:56:52 AM
They don't make a 4 door RSX. I wish they did. They have a tarted up Civic in Canada called the CSX. I would do one of those in a heartbeat. The TSX could work though.

Oh I meant go with the RSX if you preferred a coupe.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SJ_GTI on September 19, 2014, 06:10:20 AM
I actually kind of understand where 12,000 is coming from. If I had a commute like that I probably wouldn't want to drive a sports car back and forth.

That being said, I personally wouldn't go with an Accord. I think I'd prefer something newer like a Fusion or Malibu (will be able to get a newer model for about the same price), or maybe go smaller and look at a Civic, Focus, or Mazda 3 (particularly with a hatchback).

I have always had mixed feelings about the 2006-2011 Civic. On one hand, this isn't well known, but weight aside it's Honda's best Civic chassis ever by a decent margin. They fixed the geometry issues they had on the 2002-2005 and got the struts to work phenomentally. On the other hand... that interior is ghastly. That said, initially I wrote it off because I figured it would be too slow... but performance wise it's only about 2 ticks off of the Accord in non Si form. I could maybe do one of those in EX-L trim. I have always liked the exteriors of those.

Quote from: Tave on September 19, 2014, 06:26:19 AM
Oh I meant go with the RSX if you preferred a coupe.
Girl I knew in high school had one. The back seat sucked. Good cars otherwise though. I do really like the TSX. Just wish it didn't need premium

FlatBlackCaddy

What's the difference between a modded accord and a modded taurus?

I'm having a hard to trying to see the appeal, I guess it's just different strokes.

Aren't Jetta's pretty damn cheap? You could probably find a 1.8T or an older VR6 GLI for that kind of cash.

Don't get me wrong, it's just moving from one form of mainstream midsize douchery to another(though slightly more premium). Premium douchery. :lol:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 19, 2014, 07:35:27 AM
What's the difference between a modded accord and a modded taurus?

I'm having a hard to trying to see the appeal, I guess it's just different strokes.

Aren't Jetta's pretty damn cheap? You could probably find a 1.8T or an older VR6 GLI for that kind of cash.

Don't get me wrong, it's just moving from one form of mainstream midsize douchery to another(though slightly more premium). Premium douchery. :lol:
Well, for starters, about 500 lbs. And the Taurus doesn't come in stickshift. And the Taurus has zero aftermarket support. So a lot actually.

And it's not about "appeal". I'm not trying to replace the Z with something as fun to drive... I need a practical daily driver that's good on gas and comfy for long daily drives that won't bore me to death.

Old Jettas are cheap for a reason. As much as I love the VR6 engine and how MKIVs look, all VWs from that era are terrible cars to own. Every last one of them. You couldn't pay me to drive one for any trip where I need to get where I'm going.

And again............................................ this is not an "enthusiast" move. If it were up to me I would probably get a 1G CTS-V or E39 M5. But I can't do those gas bills. $150 a month in my pocket and a comfier more usable daily driver seems worth losing the Z for. And besides, I still have the bike which is paid off, gets 40 MPG and costs like $250 a year to insure. So I'm pretty much covered

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 19, 2014, 07:54:21 AM
Well, for starters, about 500 lbs. And the Taurus doesn't come in stickshift. And the Taurus has zero aftermarket support. So a lot actually.

And it's not about "appeal". I'm not trying to replace the Z with something as fun to drive... I need a practical daily driver that's good on gas and comfy for long daily drives that won't bore me to death.

Old Jettas are cheap for a reason. As much as I love the VR6 engine and how MKIVs look, all VWs from that era are terrible cars to own. Every last one of them. You couldn't pay me to drive one for any trip where I need to get where I'm going.

And again............................................ this is not an "enthusiast" move. If it were up to me I would probably get a 1G CTS-V or E39 M5. But I can't do those gas bills. $150 a month in my pocket and a comfier more usable daily driver seems worth losing the Z for. And besides, I still have the bike which is paid off, gets 40 MPG and costs like $250 a year to insure. So I'm pretty much covered

I understand what you are saying, I guess to me personally their just seems to be better options(even from honda) in the psudo sporty catagory than such a mainstream bore like the accord.

I really am surprised you aren't TSX hunting, it's a bit smaller and tighter than an accord but gives back in the dynamics department.

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 19, 2014, 06:52:39 AM
Girl I knew in high school had one. The back seat sucked. Good cars otherwise though. I do really like the TSX. Just wish it didn't need premium

It's a little tight back there but not very far off from the Accord coupe. That's why I was saying, if you want the Accord get a 4-door.

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 19, 2014, 06:05:59 AM
That engine is crap and unless you nuke the clutch that car isn't that fast. 5-60 from a roll is about 7 seconds. Accord is about 8. And it guzzles premium gas like my car. For that money I'd rather get a 330i.
The regular first generation Mazda6 with a manual is a hoot to drive, nevermind the Mazdaspeed6.  Even a regular Mazda6 would most definitely bridge the gap in terms of fun. 

FlatBlackCaddy

A manual V6 Mazda 6 Hatch would be the shizzy snap.

MX793

Only real negative I could say about the 1st generation 6 is that the Duratec 3.0 is a little thirsty compared to some others in that class.  But they are a nice driving car.  Light by midsizer standards and taught without being punishing.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rich

4 door civic si (you could get one with an LSD right?) /thread
2003 Mazda Miata 5MT; 2005 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport 4AT

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 19, 2014, 05:56:52 AM
I'm looking at 160HP 3100lb cars.... "power" is not a factor here.

eh, we suggested Miata because you want more fun but less tickets. :huh: You shot down the Miata based on refinement and being smoked by an Accord.
Boring sedan would be more refined and smoke the 4banger Accord.

You want a ricer, got it. :lol:    really nothing wrong with it, just throwing out alternatives.
(I'm totally excluding Subies from cars I'd recommend- not the best gas mileage, you don't seem to need the awd...)

In MY perfect garage I'd have
-Miata for fun/weekends/commuting
-Jetta sportwagon for longer driving/grocery getting
-Flex or similar for cramming everyone in and/or towing
-Subie for winter funz

Plus a car for my wife. :lol:
Will

12,000 RPM

I will def check out the 6. V6 is no go, damn near same gas mileage as the Z with like 60% of the performance. Mazdas guzzle gas. 1st gen 6 2.3 sedan is doable though.

My perfect garage would probably be something like a Fiesta ST for DD, a weird track car (Z3M shoe, 2ZZ MR-S, V6 MR2, VQ35 E36 etc), 9-5 Aero wagon and a Volt for wifey

Thats a dream garage for what I could realistically afford to run, I think.

SVT666

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on September 19, 2014, 10:10:16 AM
In MY perfect garage I'd have
-Miata for fun/weekends/commuting
-Jetta sportwagon for longer driving/grocery getting
-Flex or similar for cramming everyone in and/or towing
-Subie for winter funz

Plus a car for my wife. :lol:
My perfect "affordable" garage would be:

1. Mustang Boss 302 (fun, daily commute)
2. Dodge Durango (towing, winter, family trips)
3. BMW Z4 (wife's car, trips for just the two of us)

That covers every need.

Rupert

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 19, 2014, 02:14:59 AM

"Worse" how?

You just said that a) the Z can't really be improved upon for reasonable bucks, and b) you would do a lot of cheap things to improve a hypothetical Honda. Sounds like the Z is a better car, ergo the Honda is worse.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

FlatBlackCaddy

I've always wanted a 5th gen prelude, I bet those are getting pretty cheap. Not as practical but a nice car no doubt.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rupert on September 19, 2014, 11:42:17 AM
You just said that a) the Z can't really be improved upon for reasonable bucks, and b) you would do a lot of cheap things to improve a hypothetical Honda. Sounds like the Z is a better car, ergo the Honda is worse.
Performance wise, yea. But I can't reduce the road noise, or add a back seat, or add 5-10 MPG to the Z. So from a total ownership POV in the context of how I use the car, at best it's a wash, but really something more practical and economical than the Z is a better fit. Modding the Accord wouldn't be to try and get it up to the Z's level- that's idiotic. It would just be to make it a little more fun and satisfy my inner ricer.

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 19, 2014, 11:44:52 AM
I've always wanted a 5th gen prelude, I bet those are getting pretty cheap. Not as practical but a nice car no doubt.
Yea I am seriously considering those too. If I can sit behind myself in relative comfort that might be a go. The premium gas thing sucks but they are cheaper and more fun than the Accord/TSX. I test drove one when I was shopping for the Z and wasn't crazy about it, but the guy had a stupid exhaust on it and it was loaded up with me, him, and my wife with the A/C on so that wasn't a fair assessment. There are a lot of them out there but they are starting to die off from rice cancer.

Eye of the Tiger

2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

2o6

A cheese wedge Civic sedan is about that price.

I'm having a hard time choosing between that and an EP3, RSX and MK1 Fit.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 19, 2014, 11:44:52 AM

If that's the one I think it is, I've liked those for a long time too.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: 2o6 on September 20, 2014, 01:13:30 AM
A cheese wedge Civic sedan is about that price.

I'm having a hard time choosing between that and an EP3, RSX and MK1 Fit.

Not having driven any, I'd say RSX > EP3 > Fit. But that's mostly on looks. All things considered, the EP3 is probably the best overall choice, the Fit the most practical, and the RSX the least logical.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.