Sporty's 350Z thread

Started by 12,000 RPM, July 22, 2013, 02:55:36 PM

veeman

Wouldn't an RSX get stolen within a few weeks? 

What does EP3 stand for?  What car is that?

12,000 RPM

EP3 is the 2002-2005 Civic Si hatchback. Looked like a dodgeball with a backwards cap. Kind of anemic with the 2.0 160 HP motor.

The more and more I look into it, the more I like the TSX. Faster/nicer out of the box, better handling, easier to tune, not much more expensive to buy or run. Just have to sell the Z and find one locally.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Char

Wow, this thread has fallen off so hard.

Just buy a E46 325/330i and be done with it. Cheap to own, maintain and RWD. You're talking about Civic Si's and TSX's from a 350Z, what is wrong with you?
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

2o6

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 20, 2014, 08:32:12 AM
EP3 is the 2002-2005 Civic Si hatchback. Looked like a dodgeball with a backwards cap. Kind of anemic with the 2.0 160 HP motor.

The more and more I look into it, the more I like the TSX. Faster/nicer out of the box, better handling, easier to tune, not much more expensive to buy or run. Just have to sell the Z and find one locally.

You're comparing it to an Accord which has the same weight and....

Fuck it. You've already decided on another fucking accord.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: 2o6 on September 20, 2014, 09:56:02 AM

Fuck it. You've already decided on another fucking accord.

:lol:

I think that was decided couple pages ago....
Will

CALL_911

Quote from: Char on September 20, 2014, 08:53:47 AM
Wow, this thread has fallen off so hard.

Just buy a E46 325/330i and be done with it. Cheap to own, maintain and RWD. You're talking about Civic Si's and TSX's from a 350Z, what is wrong with you?

Yeah, I agree

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Char on September 20, 2014, 08:53:47 AM
:hesaid:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FlatBlackCaddy

I'm guessing he'd be happier with a tsx, which out of the box would probably be 90% as fun as a 325. The e46 being cheap must be a relative comment. Cheap for a bmw, no doubt. But they arent cheap, certainly compared to Japanese cars.

Char

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 20, 2014, 01:50:01 PM
I'm guessing he'd be happier with a tsx, which out of the box would probably be 90% as fun as a 325. The e46 being cheap must be a relative comment. Cheap for a bmw, no doubt. But they arent cheap, certainly compared to Japanese cars.

They are cheap. Cooling system is the bane of any BMW's existence - a water pump can be had for 50 bucks and takes 30 minutes to change. Ask me how I know.
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Char on September 20, 2014, 02:05:09 PM
They are cheap. Cooling system is the bane of any BMW's existence - a water pump can be had for 50 bucks and takes 30 minutes to change. Ask me how I know.

You did it on your mom's Quest?
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 18, 2014, 11:16:58 AM
The car doesn't help.

The Z has been pretty reliable. Only big thing I spent money on was brakes and that was mostly by choice. Starts and runs no problem. Only issue is a little oil consumption which is the case for all VQ35s. I'm not scared of an older car at all... a 10 year old Accord is just getting started.

I thought about the Mazda 3. I will give some a shot. They and Mazda 6s are like 1/2 the cost of a same year Accord, and they are supposedly fun to drive. I just have never really been a Mazda fan. Plus for some reason they get like 2-3 MPG worse than an Accord despite having a smaller engine. I will check them out though. I could live with a fully loaded 6 5 spd.

My area is a little hoity toity so the cops kind of don't have much to do. Seems like this summer they ramped up enforcement and put out a lot of traps that I just walked into. Been here for about a year and a half and everything really just started this summer. Driving around the neighborhood, I wasn't really pushing it... but if you are more than 10 over they will pull you over. So in the neighborhood now I keep things pegged at the speed limit... doesn't make a difference in making or missing the millions of lights around so it makes sense to just slow down. The last ticket on my bike was just me being an idiot though. I was far from home, but I was pushing way too hard on the bike. I just need to get a track day membership and call it a day.

I think a large part of why I bought the Z was kind of a third-life crisis moment. Wanted to get a sports car while the opportunity was still available. Realistically I'm probably never going to buy a Porsche unless we get obscenely rich or 996s continue to plummet in value, and nothing else I can afford really entices me. I'm gonna dump the Z for something pedestrian, clean up my license, save up my $$$ and hopefully jump back into something like an M235i or 435i GC in a few years. It was fun but I'm OK with letting the Z go... always felt like it was never really meant to be.

I don't know, man.  You can speed just as well in any other car and get tickets.  I have my doubts the car is the real problem.  You're probably just pushing the envelope a bit too much and just need to rein yourself in enough that your tickets are spaced out better.

I hate to see a dude who enjoys driving give up a fun car for something boring.  And I have my doubts about the practicality of buying an older car for a long commute.

Think about it a little more before you take the plunge.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

12,000 RPM

Quote from: thecarnut on September 20, 2014, 02:05:46 PM
You did it on your mom's Quest?
No, he does his own work on the E90 his parents bought him to feel like he has an ownership stake in it.

Re: E46 being "cheap to run"

QuoteNo car is perfect, even the beloved BMW e46 3-series, Manufactured 1999-2006. These cars are a favorite among Bimmer aficionados and were consistently named to Car & Driver's Top Ten. But as with any long-lasting vehicle, they have some common problems that an owner should look for and then repair with a qualified, independent BMW Repair Shop.

Front and Rear Window Regulators: The automatic windows in your 3-series may fail overtime, due to inadequate design or common wear and tear. This may be prevented by diligent maintenance, however the fact that they are built with plastic pulleys and thin cables means that they could still fail and leave them stuck in the down position.

Power Steering Pump: If you hear a deep growl or can feel something rubbing against the steering column, the power steering pump on your BMW may be failing. Check the fluids and filter prior to contacting a mechanic.

Cooling System: The cooling system in an e46 is complex, with many parts working together to keep the engine running cool and smooth. Any deviance noticed in the temperature gauge should be noted, prior to the engine overheating, which could lead to other costly problems.

Rear Subframe Tearing: In 2009 there was a class action settlement with BMW concerning the rear subframe of some of the e46 3-series tearing or cracking. Owners should be aware of loud noises coming from the rear of the vehicle when traveling even moderately bumpy roads and contact a mechanic for inspection.

Overboosted Steering: BMWs are known for their steering, so if the vehicle is overcompensating, or not reacting to a driver, there may be a problem that needs repair. This was prevalent in the e46 model year 2001 vehicles that were manufactured from June 2000 to April 2001.

Tail Lamp Wiring: The tail lamp wiring in the e46 3-series was subject to recall several years ago. This includes the 2002-05 three-series sedans, model numbers 325I, 325XI, 330I and 330XI.

No such issues on the TSX.

I suppose a 458 Italia is "cheap to run" compared to a 348, but it's still a red hot Ferrari (pun intended)

And I'm pretty sure a lot of the folks screaming "325i" were the same chowderheads dumping on the equally slow IS250 (which BTW has 6 speeds to the 325i's 5). 325i mods are also eye wideningly expensive and low value. $1000 buys an intake for a 325i... same money buys a reflash and I/H/E good for 40-50 HP on the TSX. Gas mileage on the 325i also sucks. Just a terrible choice. What criteria are you guys using?

I want something

- reliable
- comfy for 4 legitimate adults
- gets at least 25 MPG combined
- <16s quarter mile
- relatively moddable

Not very difficult.

Cookie Monster

TSX is a good pick IMO. Looks amazing and probably great to drive (plus Honda's amazing manual).

The only thing is I don't get why you'd say an EP3 is anemic but still want a heavier, even slower Accord with the same HP.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

12,000 RPM

Re: "downgrading"

Cars come and go... there is more to life than what car you drive. This is painfully evident in the relationship between age and opinions.... all the kids here can't understand why one would sell a sports car, as I imagine the kids here identify through their cars way more than the grown folks here. It is true that the car only does what I want and I need more self control, but again... if a speed demon has a car that rewards being pushed beyond the bounds of what's legal it won't lead to good things.

If all the folks throwing shade and crying would like to donate to my legal fund and gas budget maybe I will reconsider.... otherwise, GFYS. When u guys start planning families and buying houses then hit me up about sports car ownership... see if u feel as strong.

Re: Accords

They are good cars. TSX is the cream of that crop... a great looking, great handling, easy to own ride. And Accords in general are great cars. Dirt cheap, fun to drive, anonymous, practical etc. Mazda 6 is OK, but really its only plus is that it appeals to contrarians and is more fun out of the box than an Accord (not TSX).

Dont hate me cause I'm practical baby.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: thecarnut on September 20, 2014, 04:17:43 PM
TSX is a good pick IMO. Looks amazing and probably great to drive (plus Honda's amazing manual).

The only thing is I don't get why you'd say an EP3 is anemic but still want a heavier, even slower Accord with the same HP.
EP3's motor is tapped out on power, and its suspension is absolute garbage. Real Time Racing successfully lobbied to the SCCA to essentially rebuild its RSX's suspension from scratch. Out of the box and stock it's OK but that's not my flow.

Accord 2.4 is severely detuned and uncorks quickly with cheap parts (mainly from the TSX). Suspension is also much better. Only weighs about 300 or so lbs more as well which is a good amount but nothing insurmountable. In any case I think the TSX is a better fit... its generally better/cheaper to buy the car with the upgrades rather than to do them yourself, and nobody does upgrades better than OEMs.

Soup DeVille

Just because a a set up doesnt make for a good race suspension doesn't mean it's not a good street suspension. The EP3 handled pretty well, and sharper than any Accord ive driven.

Anyways, if its an Accord you want, get it.

I just don't see any of head cars having a net effect on the speeding ticket collection rate.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Char

Are you really this stupid?

Yeah dude, tell me again how I have no experience on these cars, and how I don't know what I'm talking about.  I've owned 2 M52tu/M54 powered cars, plus I have a friend who owns a E30/E36/E46 (pictured above, next to my previous Z)

Also dude, tell me more about how I made 20whp for under $500 - before headers and intake manifold (which are worth an additional 25whp)

You're stupid - it's an issue everyone has been dancing around in this thread for a while now. You should stick to being angry in the OT forum and leave the car talk to people who know what they are talking about.

Char

I'm sorry, I've just never seen someone post so much dumb shit before. E46's are very cheap and part cost are cheap as well -
Coil packs? (YES, they will go bad)

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Engine/Ignition/
$230-$330 Including plugs which are another $50

Cooling system refresh? Try $330
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Engine/Cooling/ES2063861/

A full brake refresh + upgrade for $475
http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330i-M54_3.0L/Braking/Performance/

Char

Mods?

Header/Exhaust/Off the shelf tune vs Cams

A cheap $180 long tune intake was another 7whp across the board over that. 240WHP (that's E90 power in a lighter chassis!)

Want mods?
http://dinancars.com/product/d760-0002-dinan-high-flow-intake-system-for-bmw-330i-330ci-330xi-e46-2001-2006-2/
$200 for a DINAN intake. This is OVERPRICED DINAN we are talking about
http://www.bimmerzone.com/category/BMW_Performance_Shark_Injector.html
$350 for a SHARK INJECTOR - best off the shelf tune besides OE tuning
http://www.bimmerbrakes.com/Performance-s/1862.htm
$250 for Long Tube headers - Super Sprint Replicas

You're a fucking joke.

Char

280Z Turbo

I've had no issues with my e46 so far, but I paid extra for a really clean low mileage example.

Char

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 20, 2014, 05:23:03 PM
I've had no issues with my e46 so far, but I paid extra for a really clean low mileage example.

Nah dude, your parents bought it for you and it's super unreliable.

(says a dude who owns a fucking VW)

Soup DeVille

I think we've finally found the other end of Char's psychotic nature.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

It was sporty in a VW that ran over Char's dog. I think I figured it out :lol:

Not that I disagree with what Char is saying at all though. I agree selling the Z for another Accord is stupid. But I don't care enough to put that kind of effort into it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

280Z Turbo

I think he needs to decide if he wants a DD or a project car, because it they shouldn't be combined.

MexicoCityM3

FWD for the loss man.

No way a TSX will be close.in fun to a 330i.

I'm with Char on this. They are cheap. Even my M3 is reasonable.

Or stay with the 350Z and forget this nonsense. Life's too short.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

280Z Turbo

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 20, 2014, 05:59:16 PM
FWD for the loss man.

No way a TSX will be close.in fun to a 330i.

I'm with Char on this. They are cheap. Even my M3 is reasonable.

Or stay with the 350Z and forget this nonsense. Life's too short.

E46 M3s aren't a good value and parts are at 2x as expensive as normal BMW parts.

2o6

BMW's aren't cheap to maintain by any streach of the imiganation, and Sporty you bench race too much. You say all this shit about the EP3 but haven't driven one. The K20 is right, and the suspension is a great blend of comfort and handling. And it beats the brakes off the Accord Coupe whilst having better economy, about the same amount of room and more practicality.

And on the street, I'm not convinced a 330i is more fun than a TSX.

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 20, 2014, 04:27:43 PM
EP3's motor is tapped out on power, and its suspension is absolute garbage. Real Time Racing successfully lobbied to the SCCA to essentially rebuild its RSX's suspension from scratch. Out of the box and stock it's OK but that's not my flow.

Accord 2.4 is severely detuned and uncorks quickly with cheap parts (mainly from the TSX). Suspension is also much better. Only weighs about 300 or so lbs more as well which is a good amount but nothing insurmountable. In any case I think the TSX is a better fit... its generally better/cheaper to buy the car with the upgrades rather than to do them yourself, and nobody does upgrades better than OEMs.

The suspension of the Accord is really squishy, and the steering isn't as sharp. But then again, it's designed to be a family car and not a sport oriented compact.

If you want another damn Accord, then buy one. But let's not try and rationalize and say Accords > All.

MexicoCityM3

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on September 20, 2014, 06:08:11 PM
E46 M3s aren't a good value and parts are at 2x as expensive as normal BMW parts.

I am not recommending an M3 here just the 330i.

Just mentioning that even the M3 isn't that crazy to maintain (for the fun you get).
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

2o6

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on September 20, 2014, 06:10:09 PM
I am not recommending an M3 here just the 330i.

Just mentioning that even the M3 isn't that crazy to maintain (for the fun you get).

You're also rich.

The parts for my Yaris cost around 1/2 on average for my friends Mini Cooper (non S!) and are generally more complicated to fix and repair.