mid life crisis car

Started by veeman, July 30, 2013, 03:31:18 AM

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 30, 2013, 04:59:19 PM
I feel like you can't do better than an M3

I also feel like you can get the V8 sedan in that price range. GTI is OK but  for the same money why not twice the HP and a much better chassis?

A V8 M3? For 30K? Is that what you're saying?

No way in hell, the last time I checked out the V8 M3's they were 60K plus.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rockraven on July 30, 2013, 04:49:00 PM
Ha ha! I was thinking along the same lines. Pffft, I'm 45 and I want a hot lava FR-S. Hell I'm looking online for turbo kits for my Miata.

Begi or Flying miata?

I might do a Flying miata FM kit less electronics(would run a megasquirt) over the winter on my NB.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 30, 2013, 05:08:34 PM
A V8 M3? For 30K? Is that what you're saying?

No way in hell, the last time I checked out the V8 M3's they were 60K plus.
Not used

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/3910054770.html

30K nets a LOT of used car

Pretty much any 4 seat Bimmer you want (4 door M3, V10 M5, maybe V10 M6)
Pretty much any 4 seat Audi S/RS you want
Infiniti G37
Lexus ISF
Pontiac G8 GTP
997 Carrera (though the kids will outgrow it fast)

Etc

30K on a used ride is big money. Its basically gets you a car that would cost 60-90K new and not that old
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FlatBlackCaddy

Sorry but you're stretching on a few of the cars you listed. I think we are talking 30K here, which I was under the impression means close to 30(ie 30,32,33K). v10 M5's are high 30's here as in 39K. Also you posted a link to a salvage titled v8 M3, frankly it ain't even worth the 25K to me.

CJ

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 30, 2013, 06:12:22 PM
Sorry but you're stretching on a few of the cars you listed. I think we are talking 30K here, which I was under the impression means close to 30(ie 30,32,33K). v10 M5's are high 30's here as in 39K. Also you posted a link to a salvage titled v8 M3, frankly it ain't even worth the 25K to me.
Ooo didnt see that it was salvage title.

In any case 30K would buy a primo E46 M3 and a whole host of other really good used cars. FRS is good but I couldnt stomach paying 30K for one compared to what that would get me on the used market. Let someone else take that depreciation hit

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 30, 2013, 06:44:07 PM
Ooo didnt see that it was salvage title.

In any case 30K would buy a primo E46 M3 and a whole host of other really good used cars. FRS is good but I couldnt stomach paying 30K for one compared to what that would get me on the used market. Let someone else take that depreciation hit

No offense, but just reading the title told me it was salvage. I did however skim the ad and verify that.

You are right about the E46, 25-30K is cream of the crop for those.

The frs I looked at was around 26K, close to 30 but 4K is alot of money. Personally I'd buy a boxster, but that violates atleast 2 of the rules on the list. I think an FRS is a fantastic option for him. A new car with a warranty satisfies the bulk of his requirements, It also takes the stress out of some of the ownership requirements(compared to a used porsche for example). It's also a great drivers car for someone who isn't concerned with outright speed(solely), which falls inline with the "don't drive over 90" and "don't track/street race".

Frankly the FRS/BRZ is a no brainer based on his criteria, IMO.

FlatBlackCaddy

The only reason he isn't signing the papers on a FRS right now is probably because the wife won't let him.

:lol:

Wives........ :rolleyes:

12,000 RPM

BRZ seems like it wont be able to carry his kids though. Plus it seems like its talents will go to waste if its never tracked. How often will he hit up twisties? If not often I would go for something a little more powerful and GT biased. Rustang/Camaro V6 seem like better fits.

SVT666

Raza

Quote from: veeman on July 30, 2013, 02:35:10 PM
a 6 year old and a 3 year old, unless obese, will fit into any back seat no matter how small.  They're each less than 50 pounds and less than 4 feet tall.

The three year old, yes, but the 6 year old is pushing it for a 911.  Unless the driver and passenger are also 4 foot tall 6 year olds, that is. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on July 30, 2013, 08:56:38 PM
The three year old, yes, but the 6 year old is pushing it for a 911.  Unless the driver and passenger are also 4 foot tall 6 year olds, that is. 

I'm guessing that when he would take the kids it would be just the three of them. The 6 year old could sit behind the passenger seat with the seat moved up for more room for him. This would also benefit the FRS.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on July 30, 2013, 08:58:06 PM
Holy shit.  That sure makes buying a new 328i seem a bit silly, doesn't it?

Prior salvage

Raza

Hmm, what about an Evo IX (or even the more comfortable and less hardcore X)?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on July 30, 2013, 08:58:06 PM
Holy shit.  That sure makes buying a new 328i seem a bit silly, doesn't it?

Salvage title.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on July 30, 2013, 08:59:48 PM

That would surely drive home the "mid life crisis" angle. He'd be better off with a X though, more plush.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  on July 30, 2013, 08:59:48 PM
Kids cars.  Mid-life = grown up cars, not hot hatches.

hotrodalex

veeman

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on July 30, 2013, 06:52:39 PM
The only reason he isn't signing the papers on a FRS right now is probably because the wife won't let him.

:lol:

Wives........ :rolleyes:

oh my god, dude, you are so on the money with that one.  She's giving me a lot of grief about it, mostly about how a 40 year old shouldn't be driving a Scion and how after googling how it looks, she thinks its too small and too 18 year oldish.  Whatever.  I'm going to get what I want and she knows it and its just a matter of making her feel like I appreciate her opinion and stuff.  Typical wife stuff.
I like the FR-S better than the BRZ because I don't want to pay an extra thousand or two, I don't like rear spoilers, and the Scion concept of no haggle pricing I find appealing from a moral point of view.  Why should there be different prices for different customers? 

40 is total mid life.  Most people die around age 80 give or take a decade.

I won't have to drive my kids much in my new car because I still have the sonata.  It's only the occasion when the nanny is taking one child somewhere and I have to take the other child somewhere else or the occasion when either the enclave or sonata are in the shop or something.

I test drove the FR-S and it was kick ass.  In my heart if I'm going to go new, that's the one.  Granted I haven't test driven the VW GTI or Ford Focus ST, but I doubt they'll be as good.  The thing I'm considering is the used pure sports car.  That's why I'm not considering an M3 because why go sedan?  Not mid life crisis enough.  Why Porsche if I'm not going to go triple digit speeds or track it?  The greater acceleration would be cool over the FR-S and I'm weary of the inherent vulnerability of driving such a light weight small car as the FR-S.  Porsches are heavy and would offer much better crash protection than an FR-S.  Yeah I know you can't live in fear but I think about this stuff particularly because I'm a Dad.

30 thousand dollar used porsche means its not going to be certified.  Replacing tires, brakes, etc and fixing/replacing engine parts on a Porsche is going to piss me off.  Do I buy the new FR-S and say f_ck it, live life, don't worry about death, and come what may.  Or do I do the same with the used Porsche.  The probability of dying in the FR-S in a road mishap is higher than in the heavier, stronger, Porsche.  The probability of getting raped from used Porsche maintenance repair shit is much higher than the cheap to own Prius tire wearing FR-S.  Mind you, I can afford the used Porsche.  It's not like a bankruptcy thing.  It's more just I don't want to be raped...  I'd rather sink that cash in a thousand other things than 400 dollar tires etc. 

i can't think of another pure sports car outside of a porsche with a back seat that also feels tank like.  An Abarth looks like a strong wind would knock it over.  A used G coupe might be an idea that Laconian said.  I have no idea how that car drives.  I've driven rental V6 camaros, mustangs, and challengers.  I don't know how good the manuals are in these types of cars though and after test driving a manual FR-S, shit man... I got to go manual.     

GoCougs

Seems to me a 4-banger is counter to a mid-life crisis car. Given that price point I would SO opt for a slightly used Camaro SS instead.

12,000 RPM

Wait, you get to keep the Sonata? In that case there are only 3 choices... Elise, Z4M coupe, Cayman S

If you ever have to drive the kids around... Sonata

If wifey gives you grief... threaten to fire the nanny :lol:

FlatBlackCaddy

If you want a car to drive and not one that is going to be a lot of time and out of pocket expense, get the FRS.

The wife will be pissed you bought a sports car, she'll never let it go if it's in the shop getting $100's dropped on it(porsche) every few months. In your case you have to play the practicality angle a bit.

Raza

Quote from: MrH on July 30, 2013, 09:01:11 PM
Salvage title.

Didn't see that until after I posted.  Yeah, I can see how that changes things a bit.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on July 30, 2013, 09:12:28 PM
Kids cars.  Mid-life = grown up cars, not hot hatches.

He says midlife crisis car, but from what it sounds like he's asking for, he means "sporty daily driver". 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

cawimmer430

I was about to suggest a last-generation Mercedes R171 SLK350, but you don't want convertibles so it's out of the question...
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Raza

Quote from: veeman on July 30, 2013, 11:16:52 PM

oh my god, dude, you are so on the money with that one.  She's giving me a lot of grief about it, mostly about how a 40 year old shouldn't be driving a Scion and how after googling how it looks, she thinks its too small and too 18 year oldish.  Whatever.  I'm going to get what I want and she knows it and its just a matter of making her feel like I appreciate her opinion and stuff.  Typical wife stuff.
I like the FR-S better than the BRZ because I don't want to pay an extra thousand or two, I don't like rear spoilers, and the Scion concept of no haggle pricing I find appealing from a moral point of view.  Why should there be different prices for different customers? 

40 is total mid life.  Most people die around age 80 give or take a decade.

I won't have to drive my kids much in my new car because I still have the sonata.  It's only the occasion when the nanny is taking one child somewhere and I have to take the other child somewhere else or the occasion when either the enclave or sonata are in the shop or something.

I test drove the FR-S and it was kick ass.  In my heart if I'm going to go new, that's the one.  Granted I haven't test driven the VW GTI or Ford Focus ST, but I doubt they'll be as good.  The thing I'm considering is the used pure sports car.  That's why I'm not considering an M3 because why go sedan?  Not mid life crisis enough.  Why Porsche if I'm not going to go triple digit speeds or track it?  The greater acceleration would be cool over the FR-S and I'm weary of the inherent vulnerability of driving such a light weight small car as the FR-S.  Porsches are heavy and would offer much better crash protection than an FR-S.  Yeah I know you can't live in fear but I think about this stuff particularly because I'm a Dad.

30 thousand dollar used porsche means its not going to be certified.  Replacing tires, brakes, etc and fixing/replacing engine parts on a Porsche is going to piss me off.  Do I buy the new FR-S and say f_ck it, live life, don't worry about death, and come what may.  Or do I do the same with the used Porsche.  The probability of dying in the FR-S in a road mishap is higher than in the heavier, stronger, Porsche.  The probability of getting raped from used Porsche maintenance repair shit is much higher than the cheap to own Prius tire wearing FR-S.  Mind you, I can afford the used Porsche.  It's not like a bankruptcy thing.  It's more just I don't want to be raped...  I'd rather sink that cash in a thousand other things than 400 dollar tires etc. 

i can't think of another pure sports car outside of a porsche with a back seat that also feels tank like.  An Abarth looks like a strong wind would knock it over.  A used G coupe might be an idea that Laconian said.  I have no idea how that car drives.  I've driven rental V6 camaros, mustangs, and challengers.  I don't know how good the manuals are in these types of cars though and after test driving a manual FR-S, shit man... I got to go manual.   

Well, good for you for wanting a manual now.  But your wife is right--a 40 year old shouldn't drive a Scion.  I'm not even 30 and I wouldn't drive one.  They're trying too hard.  I'd go for the Subaru just on that--but like you, I don't like the spoiler on the BRZ. 

I think a V6 Mustang 6 speed with a decent options set is a great option.  Fast, handles well (though not on the level of the Ferberizer, of course), more comfortable, way better looking than the Ferberizer, and with a more accommodating rear seat.  Though it's not a V8, Mustangs are plain cool.  And the new V6 has its own coolness around it, being a V6 that can match the old V8 in a straight line drag and outhandle it.  It speaks clearly, but doesn't yell. 

Porsches aren't that heavy.  A 996 only weighs 200-300 pounds more than an FR-S (and a 997 not much heavier than a 996), a 987 Boxster only about 200.  I'm not a big believer in weight equaling safety, but if you are, the Porsches are still lightweights compared to the average car out there. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

SVT666

Your crash safety concerns are silly since all cars must pass the same crash tests, but if you want a tank then get a Camaro.  It also has the added bonus of gun slit windows and the visibility of a tank. 

Seriously though, you can get a low mileage 2011 Mustang GT Premium with the 412 hp 5.0L engine for between $25K and $30K pretty easily.

68_427

Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

CALL_911

He's going through a midlife crisis, not coming out of the closet

2004 S2000
2016 340xi