Lebowski's New Car Thread

Started by Lebowski, November 12, 2005, 08:17:09 AM

SJ_GTI

QuoteFYI, IF I were do go that route, this is the color scheme I'd get (not this exact car, but a coupe in black w/ black interior, gray wheels):

Black coupe, competition gray wheels
Remember everything I said a few pages back about not getting the Vette? FORGET IT! Get the Vette.  ;)  :lol:

And on another note: auto?!....what a little bitch.  <_< No wonder it isn't selling.
It will sell faster than a manual, I bet.

Manual Corvettes don't exist.  They're a myth.
My brother's boss had a Z51 Vette 6MT (before he traded it in on a new Z06).

ifcar

QuoteFYI, IF I were do go that route, this is the color scheme I'd get (not this exact car, but a coupe in black w/ black interior, gray wheels):

Remember everything I said a few pages back about not getting the Vette? FORGET IT! Get the Vette.  ;)  :lol:

And on another note: auto?!....what a little bitch.  <_< No wonder it isn't selling.

Even Consumer Reports managed to find a manual Corvette to buy. ;)

VetteZ06

That is a gorgeous car, my friend. I'm with you on the gray wheels, too, and they really add something to the car when it's painted black.

Good luck with the purchase.  :praise:  

Raza

My brother's boss had a Z51 Vette 6MT (before he traded it in on a new Z06).
That's a lie.
;)  
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

cozmik

QuoteThere was some talk about a bluetooth adapter for the ipod:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-RSupf0iDe2P/c....asp?I=142IPBCK
I don't understand the point of that adapter. You still have to plug it into the iPod, the BT adapter itself is nearly the size of the actual iPod.

2006 BMW 330xi. 6 Speed, Sport Package. Gone are the RFTs! Toyo Proxes 4 in their place

TBR

Of course you do, you can't magically add bluetooth capability, you have to plug something in.  

Lebowski

Well, tomorrow night I get a much better idea of what my affordable range is.

Surprisingly (at least surprising given where I was leaning 3-4 weeks ago), I'm really thinking the Corvette would be a pretty reasonable option right now, if my bonus comes in where I hope it does.

Any comments regarding the vette as a daily driver would be useful to me right now.  Also, I have a couple of specific things I'm wondering about:

1) Crash test results?  Safety isn't the most important thing on the list of things I'm looking for, but I don't want something that's a total death trap in a wreck.  I haven't been able to find any crash test info, though.  Does anybody know how safe the vette is in a wreck?  Or where I can find crash test info on it?

2) Stupid question - is the body of the C6 still fiberglass?  Does this have any implications on how expensive body work is, or how easily the body is damaged?  Any safety implications (I wouldn't think so, the frame is still steel).

3) Tires - I fully realize that sports cars have expensive tires that don't last long (and the same goes for my truck, for that matter), and I think people who buy sports cars then bitch that they didn't get the tread life that they got out of their old camry despite the tires costing twice as much are morons.  However, even I was surprised at the tread life people seem to be getting on the Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar tires that come w/ the Z51 package.  I was reading user comments on tirerack.com last night, and people seemed to be saying if you get 10,000+ miles out of those tires you're lucky.  One guy got around 15k, but 10k seemed more like the average, and some got even less.  Does anybody know if this is true?  Does anyone know if the non "supercar" Eagle F1s that come w/ the non-Z51 corvette last any longer, and if it's worth the tradeoff in grip?  I figure if I do end up going w/ the Z51, I could always replace them w/ the tires that come on the non-Z51 (the Eagle F1 GS-2 EMT) when it's time for a second set.  The choice is somewhat limited though because the lack of a spare limits you to run-flats.  Tirerack.com doesn't bring up a very wide selection of tires, and oddly it doesn't show the non-supercar F1s if you check the Z51 package, but I imagine that's an error as the wheels are the same size.

4) Anything else?  If you have any experience w/ it, let me know, how good or bad is this car as a daily driver?  How reliable is it?  Would YOU get it as a daily driver if you could and if you were single w/o an absolute need for a back seat?

ifcar

Once you've recognized yourself as truly shopping for a premium sporty coupe, I'd look around at the competition. See how you like the SLK, 350Z, and RX-8.

Lebowski

QuoteOnce you've recognized yourself as truly shopping for a premium sporty coupe, I'd look around at the competition. See how you like the SLK, 350Z, and RX-8.
Meh, I don't love any of those cars (but I will test drive the RX8 as I've promised Raza I would).  Truthfully, I think that in the $50k sports car range, the corvette is in a class of it's own.  For one thing, if I'm giving up the benefit of 4 doors, I'd do it only for vastly superior performance.  Sure the 350Z has good performance, but is it vastly superior to the G35 or 330?  I doubt it (and for the record, I did test drive the G35 coupe manual, I liked it, but if I go w/ the G35 I'd probably get the sedan, the coupe wasn't THAT much better to warrant giving up the space ... and I imagin the 350Z would be pretty darn close to the G35 coupe).  Same goes for the SLK, I'm sure it's fun, but Mercs aren't really tuned as sports cars, and I sure wouldn't call it a performance bargain.

Plus, broadly speaking, the vette has significantly more cargo capacity than most other 2 seaters, and since this would be my only car, that's a huge plus.  I also really like the removable hard top, I don't want a convertible but I like the option of open top driving.

Raza

2) Stupid question - is the body of the C6 still fiberglass? Does this have any implications on how expensive body work is, or how easily the body is damaged? Any safety implications (I wouldn't think so, the frame is still steel).

Yes, the Corvette is still fiberglass, and I can't comment on how easily the panels get damaged, but I have heard that once a panel is damaged, the whole thing needs to be replaced.  And I've seen some nasty pictures of Corvettes (C5s) being blown apart in impacts.

The G35 coupe weighs a good 400-500 pounds more than the 350Z, and that dampens the sensation of speed the Z car gives you.  That said, as an only car (and considering that you are a rational individual, unlike I) the G35 makes more sense.  Also, in the past, Brembo brakes were only available on the Track Z, and not the Touring (the Z car I find most desireable due to leather and a few other choice options) but they are available on the G35 coupe, which has the same or more of those choice options.  

If you want something hardcore, the SLK isn't it.  It's a good and right fun car, no doubt, but it's not exactly an Elise.  The Boxster and Z4 would be more fun, without giving up too much liveability (if you call having a heavy, truckspace-eating hard top an advantage, which I do not).  

Good luck, drive that Prescription-8.  It'll cure your woes.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Lebowski

Well, it's coming pretty close to decision time.  Last night was pay day and it looks like the vette is financially doable, although it remains at the upper end of what I intend to spend.

I'm test driving a 6 speed manual vette tomorrow (I'm also going to test drive the RX8 if I get time, although I still don't rank that very high on my list and it would have to blow me a way on the test drive to be considered).  It's quite possible I'll make my final decision tomorrow although I probably won't sign on the dotted line for several more days (I like to take my time on decisions like this, in case you couldn't tell).

At this point, I'm leaning very heavily towards the vette.  I still like the G35, but the truth is I don't absolutely need four doors, and you get to be 25 and single only once - this may be the only time I can realistically have a car like this as my daily driver, whereas I can drive fancy pants luxury sedans for the rest of my life.  My attitude is, better to do stuff like this now than deprive myself and end up having a mid-life crisis at age 45.

Anyway, like I said, I'll ponder it for a few more days but I have a feeling the test drive of the 6-speed manual vette tomorrow is going to make up my mind for me.  Looks like practicality and reason are about to lose out to sheer desire for excess yet again!   :rockon:  :rockon:  :rockon:

Thanks for your help guys, I know this has been a pretty weird thread (obviously it's hard to help someone choose between something like a G35 and a vette, they're so different they're almost impossible to compare).  Any additional comments on livability of the vette as a daily driver (or anything else) are still appreciated.

SaltyDog

Don't fight your instincts.  Practicality is for people like Ifcar.  No offence :)  

VP of Fox Bodies
Toyota Trucks Club

In the automotive world slow is a very relative term.

footoflead

QuoteDon't fight your instincts.  Practicality is for people like Ifcar.  No offence :)
:D  
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

ifcar

QuoteDon't fight your instincts.  Practicality is for people like Ifcar.  No offence :)
If a two-seater was as practical as I needed, I wouldn't have a problem with one either. But with a large dog and too-frequent trips to yard sales and other places where I can find very cheap bulky items, even a sedan is pushing it for me.

Raza

Still, try and take the RX-8 for a hard spin.  Once you get going around 8000rpm and realize you still ahve a thousand revs to go, you just might change your mind.  It doesn't have the brute force of the Vette, but it does have four useable seats, good interior space, and no one will think that you're trying to make up for inadequecies elsewhere (not that I do, mind you--just others, simpletons, may).

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

ifcar

Raza, did you ever talk to your parents about your next car?

Raza

QuoteRaza, did you ever talk to your parents about your next car?
Yeah, a couple of times.  My dad seems to be dragging his feet--I think the Elise might be too extreme for him.  The Evo might be a better choice, being a saloon and all.  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

Alright, I just came back from another full day (well, half day actually) of test drives:

'06 Corvette coupe 6-speed manual, Z51 package:  What can I say - I'm in love.  This car is awesome.  I went in to the test drive with very high expectations, and I was not disappointed.  The manual was much more fun to drive than the auto I drove a few weeks ago, and we had the top off during the drive today (it was a gorgeous day, BTW ... it really highlighted what a great feature the removable hard top is).  This engine pulls everywhere in the rev band.  Driving is completely effortless, whether I was getting on it, zipping through curves, or just putting along in heavier traffic.  It also rides better than I expected for the Z51 package, even on some of the god awful brick streets we have in some of the residential areas around here.

Mazda RX8 manual:  I definately liked the RX8.  I was pleasantly surprised by the way it drives, it has a pretty nice interior, and the back seat wasn't too bad at all.  Also, this car is a bargain.  IF I was limiting myself to say a $30k budget, this car would be hard to top.  However, I'm not.  While I really liked the RX8, I just didn't like it as well as the corvette, which comes as no surprise given I'm comparing it to a car that is over 50% more expensive.

Nissan 350Z:  Similar story to above.  I liked the Z alot, but it just isn't a fair comparison.  The Z drove pretty similar to the G35 coupe I drove a few weeks ago.  It is definately a quick car, and it handled very well, but I'm comparing it to a car that is out of its league.  Everything in the vette just seemed so ... effortless, whereas I felt like I had to work the Z a lot harder.

My mind is pretty much made up, although I'm going to sleep on it for a few days and think about whether I really want to spend this much money before I sign on the dotted line.  Thanks for your help guys.

And Raza, I'm definately not worried about anyone thinking I'm driving the corvette to make up for anything.  Anyone who knows me knows that's not the case.  Like most of the people on these forums, I'm a car guy - I'm buying the corvette because it's an awesome car and I love driving it.  I'm NOT buying it because I give two shits about impressing anyone with my car, because trust me, I don't (if I did would I have been driving a Ford pickup for last 4 years?).  Unfortunately, as you all know, for every one guy like us there are probably 4 or 5 who buy cars like this just for looks (you know who I'm talking about - the guys who get a corvette or a porsche with an automatic).  That's just something you have to deal with being a car guy, I guess.

MrH

Wahoo.  A black C6 Vette may be on the forum.  :praise:

Be sure to take pictures if (more like when.  We know you won't be able to live without 400 hp now  :P ) you get it.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

mazda6er

My only other suggestion: consider the Le Mans Blue.

:rockon:
--Mark
Quote from: R-inge on March 26, 2007, 06:26:46 PMMy dad used to rent Samurai.  He loves them good.

Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club | Official Spokesman of the"I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club
I had myself fooled into needing you, did I fool you too? -- Barenaked Ladies | Say it ain't so...your drug is a heart breaker -- Weezer

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

VetteZ06

Lebowski

QuoteSo are you getting the Z51?
Probably.  I can always switch to a different set of tires for my second set if it turns out the F1 Supercars have unacceptably low tread life.

Did I mention, I also called my insurance agent on Friday.  It turns out, the vette is only $90 more every six months than the G35.  I was surprised - I thought they'd rape me if I got a corvette.

Tom

I'm really not too surprised by that.  A lot of vettes are driven my gentle 50 year old men who can afford a second weekend car.  

May I suggest deep yellow?  It looks good on the Vette imo and will be easier to clean too.  

Velocity Yello :praise:

And enjoy 28 mpg on the highway.  

Secret Chimp

Eh, I'd go with less of a screaming color. I think it looks good in orange or blue (or black, but christ will that get hot in the summer).

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

ifcar

QuoteRaza, did you ever talk to your parents about your next car?
Yeah, a couple of times.  My dad seems to be dragging his feet--I think the Elise might be too extreme for him.  The Evo might be a better choice, being a saloon and all.
Or the RX8?  

Lebowski

QuoteI'm really not too surprised by that.  A lot of vettes are driven my gentle 50 year old men who can afford a second weekend car. 

May I suggest deep yellow?  It looks good on the Vette imo and will be easier to clean too. 

Velocity Yello :praise:

And enjoy 28 mpg on the highway.
At this point I'm planning on black ... although I will concede the yellow looks really good.  

BUT, consider, yellow is a $750 option, plus the yellow IMO looks much better with the polished wheels, which is like another $1000 (vs. competition gray), so we're talking an extra $1750 for a color combination.  Not sure if I can justify that.

Also, as secret chimp said, while i like the yellow, it is really attention grabbing.  I'm not sure if I want something that loud.

footoflead

I'm still drooling over the pic that was posted several pages back of the black vette w/ the competion gray wheels...
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Lebowski

QuoteI'm still drooling over the pic that was posted several pages back of the black vette w/ the competion gray wheels...
Here it is again:

Black w/ Competition Gray

^ That's the color combo I'd get.

giant_mtb

QuoteI'm still drooling over the pic that was posted several pages back of the black vette w/ the competion gray wheels...
Here it is again:

Black w/ Competition Gray

^ That's the color combo I'd get.
Automatic.  :(  <_<  :angry: