Lebowski's New Car Thread

Started by Lebowski, November 12, 2005, 08:17:09 AM

Raza

QuoteOkay, now I'm going to build a Corvette and see if I can afford it.  It's still ugly, but it's a good car.
The 3LT and Z51 is too damn much.  Why isn't HUD a separate option?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Run Away

Damn those are some intersting pics.
The HUD and NAV look like they work together awesome.
I also find the gas pedal wierd, does it pivot on the bottom or is it hung from above? If the latter, what's that thing on the base of the pedal? Looks like it might get a bit in the way.

Brakes look wicked through the wheels.

:praise:

Run Away

Oh yeah, and you SO copied me with your color scheme. :P

footoflead

Awesome Lebowski...may you have many miles of driving bliss :praise:
Speed is my drug, Adrenaline my addiction
Racing is an addiction...and the only cure is poverty
Sometimes you just have to floor it and hope for the best
Member of the Rag destroyed the 'CarSPIN carry the torch thread' club
Co-President of the I Fought the Tree and the Tree Won Club

m4c$'s ar3 th3 suck0rz club president!
'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'04 Mustang Silver, Dad's
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Lebowski

QuoteOkay, now I'm going to build a Corvette and see if I can afford it.  It's still ugly, but it's a good car.
I know, 3LT is kind of a bitch, because it's sort of a ripoff for what it is plus it includes some stuff that isn't really necessary, but they stick that HUD in there because they know everybody wants that.

A purist like you should be able to live w/o 3LT, though, and honestly I'm glad I got Z51 but it certainly isn't absolutely necessary.

Lebowski

QuoteDamn those are some intersting pics.
The HUD and NAV look like they work together awesome.
I also find the gas pedal wierd, does it pivot on the bottom or is it hung from above? If the latter, what's that thing on the base of the pedal? Looks like it might get a bit in the way.

Brakes look wicked through the wheels.

:praise:
the accelerator is attached at the bottom, the black thing is what it's attached to, and it doesn't get in the way ... in fact I didn't even know it was there until I looked at the pic (in fact that might actually be somewhat of an optical illusion).

That said, I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of the metal brake and clutch pedals.  They're fine when I'm wearing my dry pilotis, but get in the car with wet tennis shoes and it's another story, and if I get in with wet flip flops (as in after washing it), it's downright dangerous (I came pretty close to slipping a wet flip flop off of the clutch pedal the first time I washed it, that would have sucked as it would have launched the car into the wall of my parking garage).

Lebowski

QuoteOh yeah, and you SO copied me with your color scheme. :P
Your right, I did ... either way the black + gray is an awesome combo, IMHO.

Raza

QuoteOkay, now I'm going to build a Corvette and see if I can afford it.  It's still ugly, but it's a good car.
I know, 3LT is kind of a bitch, because it's sort of a ripoff for what it is plus it includes some stuff that isn't really necessary, but they stick that HUD in there because they know everybody wants that.

A purist like you should be able to live w/o 3LT, though, and honestly I'm glad I got Z51 but it certainly isn't absolutely necessary.
I just want HUD and the Bose system and Z51.

It's just too expensive, even my 2LT that I built.  Too damn expensive to lease, $755 a month with $3000 down.  An Elise is a lot less expensive.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

BMWDave

Wow, beautiful pictures!  The car looks amazing!  Enjoy it! B)

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

Tom

[cough]nature shots[/cough]

Just kidding, nice ride there!

Raza

QuoteMy truck is now about 6 years old, so it's time to get a new car.  Time frame is sometime in December (Dec 1 is bonus day so sometime after that).  

What I'm looking for: A 4-door sedan with a reasonable balance between luxury and sport.  I'd prefer a manual, but if I fall in love with a car that is only offered with an auto I can live with that.  I plan to get something pretty well loaded, including Nav and satellite radio.  Price range is tentatively $30 to $40k, could possibly move up slightly depending on my bonus.  I know that's a big range but there is somewhat of a disparity between what I can afford and what I think I should spend (i.e. even if I can afford $45k, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be smarter to spend less than that and save the difference).  So, I'm focusing on value for the dollar, I'm not just going to get the absolute best, most expensive car I can afford.

Any comments are welcome, particularly from people who own or have experience with any of the cars below.  And don't say "test drive them all and make your own decision".  Of course I'm going to test drive everything and of course I'm going to make my own decision, I'm just looking for feedback/opinions here.

What I'm considering:

Acura TSX: Best value out there IMO.  Pros:  Comes totally loaded for $29k, looks good inside and out.  Cons:  Probably the most boring car I'm looking at, FWD, small engine.  Priced as I'd want it about $29k.  Base TSX (which is loaded) plus nav system.

Acura TL: Similar story to the TSX, I like the interior somewhat better than the TSX, but it's a little pricey for a FWD car.  

Infiniti G35: I don't love the exterior styling and the interior is among the worst I'm considering.  However, the more I think about it the more the G35 makes sense.  298 hp and RWD are hard to argue with.  The G35 is probably my top choice right now.  Priced as I'd want it $37k (includes destimation of $650).  Price is for G35 6 speed manual (includes sport suspension and 18 inch wheels), premium package (6 disc CD changer, sunroof, bluetooth, yada yada yada), nav system, satellite radio.

Audi A4: I like the exterior styling a lot, although I don't like the fact that Audi redesigns the A4 so often (is this going to be the "old" body style 2 years from now?)  I'd get it with AWD.  Pros are good styling, great interior.  Cons are cramped back seat, gets pricey quick once you start adding on options, especially AWD, and I've heard Audi's aren't reliable (not trying to start a Japanese vs. Germans flame war, but my bias is that the Japanese cars listed above are probably the more reliable).  Priced as I'd want it about $39k, includes Audi A4 Quattro 6 speed manual, leather (sunroof pckg), premium and tech packages, nav, satellite radio, sport suspension (but does not include the $3k "s line" sport package, which is a ripoff IMO).

3-Series: I'll put it bluntly - I think the 3-series is grossly overpriced.  Is the 330i a better car than a G35?  Probably.  Is it so much better as to warrant a $44k price tag vs. a comparably equipped G35 at more like $36k?  Highly unlikely.  I will at least give the 3-series a test drive, but it will really have to blow me away to convince me it's worth the money.

Lexus IS350: I just built online, came to ~$39,500, including 18 inch wheels, nav, backup camera (comes w/ the nav, I wouldn't get it otherwise), bluetooth, 13 speaker sound system w/ CD changer.  Definately worth a look.  Biggest negative is lack of a manual, but if I fall in love with the car that's not a dealbreaker.  Also, reviews have said it's disconnected from the road.  I'll have to test drive.

Other possibilities/wildcards:

Infiniti M35/M45: I love these cars, but my bonus would have to really surprise on the upside to warrant spending that much.

Acura RL: I wouldn't consider it at MSRP (I'd rather get the M at that price), but someone on C&D recently said '05s are going for as low as $40k.  At $40k, the RL is at least worth a look, IMO.

Corvette: Yeah, I know, it has nothing to do with anything else on the list, and I know I said I wanted a 4-door sedan (that's the practical thing to do).  But, I'll admit, the thought has entered my mind.  I'm 25 and single and realistically could live without 4-doors.  Any thoughts with how livable the vette is as a daily driver?

G35 coupe: Similar to above, it's not a 4-door but the thought has entered my mind.  Would have to really impress on a test drive compared to the sedan.

One final note:  As I test drive cars, I'll edit this original post with additional comments so people don't have to scroll through an entire topic to see them (I'll also make a post noting it so you won't have to constantly re-read this post).
:blink:  

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

QuoteMy truck is now about 6 years old, so it's time to get a new car.  Time frame is sometime in December (Dec 1 is bonus day so sometime after that). 

What I'm looking for: A 4-door sedan with a reasonable balance between luxury and sport.  I'd prefer a manual, but if I fall in love with a car that is only offered with an auto I can live with that.  I plan to get something pretty well loaded, including Nav and satellite radio.  Price range is tentatively $30 to $40k, could possibly move up slightly depending on my bonus.  I know that's a big range but there is somewhat of a disparity between what I can afford and what I think I should spend (i.e. even if I can afford $45k, that doesn't mean it wouldn't be smarter to spend less than that and save the difference).  So, I'm focusing on value for the dollar, I'm not just going to get the absolute best, most expensive car I can afford.

Any comments are welcome, particularly from people who own or have experience with any of the cars below.  And don't say "test drive them all and make your own decision".  Of course I'm going to test drive everything and of course I'm going to make my own decision, I'm just looking for feedback/opinions here.

What I'm considering:

Acura TSX: Best value out there IMO.  Pros:  Comes totally loaded for $29k, looks good inside and out.  Cons:  Probably the most boring car I'm looking at, FWD, small engine.  Priced as I'd want it about $29k.  Base TSX (which is loaded) plus nav system.

Acura TL: Similar story to the TSX, I like the interior somewhat better than the TSX, but it's a little pricey for a FWD car. 

Infiniti G35: I don't love the exterior styling and the interior is among the worst I'm considering.  However, the more I think about it the more the G35 makes sense.  298 hp and RWD are hard to argue with.  The G35 is probably my top choice right now.  Priced as I'd want it $37k (includes destimation of $650).  Price is for G35 6 speed manual (includes sport suspension and 18 inch wheels), premium package (6 disc CD changer, sunroof, bluetooth, yada yada yada), nav system, satellite radio.

Audi A4: I like the exterior styling a lot, although I don't like the fact that Audi redesigns the A4 so often (is this going to be the "old" body style 2 years from now?)  I'd get it with AWD.  Pros are good styling, great interior.  Cons are cramped back seat, gets pricey quick once you start adding on options, especially AWD, and I've heard Audi's aren't reliable (not trying to start a Japanese vs. Germans flame war, but my bias is that the Japanese cars listed above are probably the more reliable).  Priced as I'd want it about $39k, includes Audi A4 Quattro 6 speed manual, leather (sunroof pckg), premium and tech packages, nav, satellite radio, sport suspension (but does not include the $3k "s line" sport package, which is a ripoff IMO).

3-Series: I'll put it bluntly - I think the 3-series is grossly overpriced.  Is the 330i a better car than a G35?  Probably.  Is it so much better as to warrant a $44k price tag vs. a comparably equipped G35 at more like $36k?  Highly unlikely.  I will at least give the 3-series a test drive, but it will really have to blow me away to convince me it's worth the money.

Lexus IS350: I just built online, came to ~$39,500, including 18 inch wheels, nav, backup camera (comes w/ the nav, I wouldn't get it otherwise), bluetooth, 13 speaker sound system w/ CD changer.  Definately worth a look.  Biggest negative is lack of a manual, but if I fall in love with the car that's not a dealbreaker.  Also, reviews have said it's disconnected from the road.  I'll have to test drive.

Other possibilities/wildcards:

Infiniti M35/M45: I love these cars, but my bonus would have to really surprise on the upside to warrant spending that much.

Acura RL: I wouldn't consider it at MSRP (I'd rather get the M at that price), but someone on C&D recently said '05s are going for as low as $40k.  At $40k, the RL is at least worth a look, IMO.

Corvette: Yeah, I know, it has nothing to do with anything else on the list, and I know I said I wanted a 4-door sedan (that's the practical thing to do).  But, I'll admit, the thought has entered my mind.  I'm 25 and single and realistically could live without 4-doors.  Any thoughts with how livable the vette is as a daily driver?

G35 coupe: Similar to above, it's not a 4-door but the thought has entered my mind.  Would have to really impress on a test drive compared to the sedan.

One final note:  As I test drive cars, I'll edit this original post with additional comments so people don't have to scroll through an entire topic to see them (I'll also make a post noting it so you won't have to constantly re-read this post).
:blink:
I know, lol

Raza

Also, when this thread started, Muffin was still here.

hehe

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

QuoteAlso, when this thread started, Muffin was still here.

hehe
Who's muffin?

Raza

hehe
Who's muffin?
Raghavan.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

footoflead

hehe
Who's muffin?
Raghavan.
Really... :ph34r:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Lebowski

hehe
Who's muffin?
Raghavan.
Ok, I figured as much.

What ever happened w/ that?  Why did he leave?

Raza

hehe
Who's muffin?
Raghavan.
Ok, I figured as much.

He was an idiot and people constantly called him on it.  So he left.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Lebowski

hehe
Who's muffin?
Raghavan.
Ok, I figured as much.

He was an idiot and people constantly called him on it.  So he left.
haha, I don't remember him being that much of an idiot, but whatever.

Lebowski

Jesus, even after being gone this long, he still makes up 7% of the forum's total posts (and you just passed him like today raza).  How the hell do you guys post so much?  I feel like I spend entirely too much time on this forum and I'm only up to 650.

Raza

QuoteJesus, even after being gone this long, he still makes up 7% of the forum's total posts (and you just passed him like today raza).  How the hell do you guys post so much?  I feel like I spend entirely too much time on this forum and I'm only up to 650.
When you're in college, you're on the computer alot...and I just end up here.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

JYODER240

QuoteJesus, even after being gone this long, he still makes up 7% of the forum's total posts (and you just passed him like today raza).  How the hell do you guys post so much?  I feel like I spend entirely too much time on this forum and I'm only up to 650.
We dont have fancy C6's to drive around in all day :devil:  :P  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

footoflead

QuoteJesus, even after being gone this long, he still makes up 7% of the forum's total posts (and you just passed him like today raza).  How the hell do you guys post so much?  I feel like I spend entirely too much time on this forum and I'm only up to 650.
We dont have fancy C6's to drive around in all day :devil:  :P
:devil:  :lol:  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

Lebowski

About 20 minutes ago I got my first  :thumbsup: .  It was from about a 60 year old man in a white dodge caravan whom I caught in the act of checking out my car.

Pretty cool  :thumbsup:  

BMWDave

QuoteAbout 20 minutes ago I got my first  :thumbsup: .  It was from about a 60 year old man in a white dodge caravan whom I caught in the act of checking out my car.

Cool!  Must feel pretty good :rockon:  

2007 Honda S2000

footoflead

QuoteAbout 20 minutes ago I got my first  :thumbsup: .  It was from about a 60 year old man in a white dodge caravan whom I caught in the act of checking out my car.

Lucky bastard :devil:  :thumbsup:  B)  

'02 Mustang Red, Mine
'05 Silverado, Mom's

JYODER240

There was one time I was in a C5 Targa at a stoplight and a guy probably about 45-50 pulls up next to me in a Liberty and says, "Nice car, wish it was mine." The light turns greean I say, " Me too." and then I took off like a bat out of hell :rockon:  
/////////////////////////
Quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death

*President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 thread" club*

BMWDave

QuoteThere was one time I was in a C5 Targa at a stoplight and a guy probably about 45-50 pulls up next to me in a Liberty and says, "Nice car, wish it was mine." The light turns greean I say, " Me too." and then I took off like a bat out of hell :rockon:
Thats pretty funny :thumbsup:  

2007 Honda S2000