Your next automotive purchase

Started by MrH, August 01, 2013, 08:52:44 PM

J86

Apparently my next automotive purchase was a window switch for an R107 Benz.  $22 brand new on ebay!

CALL_911

http://www.ecstuning.com/ES1598987/

This guy. As of this weekend, my original one went missing.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 12, 2013, 04:58:22 PM
The pads and rotors are the main heat sink. The bigger the rotors/pads the less heat going to places its not supposed to :huh:

Not sure what the FX has to do with anything either... unless it was equipped with the same aftermarket kit :huh:

The FX has the biggest/heaviest rotors and is the lightest vehicle yet the brakes overheated WAY before the others.

S204STi

Pad composition has a big factor to play as well. Nissan is notorious for using shitty compounds to satisfy idiots who believe brake dust/noise is a sign of failure.

SVT666

I agree with Cougs.  Rotor size doesn't mean much if the brakes aren't getting the proper cooling and are using inferior pads. 

Get Hawk pads and skip the rotors and brake lines until you actually experience fade...if you ever do.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: SVT666 on August 12, 2013, 07:45:46 PM
I agree with Cougs.  Rotor size doesn't mean much if the brakes aren't getting the proper cooling and are using inferior pads. 

Get Hawk pads and skip the rotors and brake lines until you actually experience fade...if you ever do.

Stainless lines improved the brake feel on my Si measurably, whether the brakes were hot or cold.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TBR

Quote from: TBR on August 04, 2013, 09:35:27 AM
I see three options for my next major car purchase:

1) Head gasket repair and t-belt replacement for the Outback. Not exciting, but will need to happen as soon as the oil starts looking milky. Can afford to do it now, but trying to string it along.

2) Something cheap and off the wall. Maybe a V70R? Wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, but I kinda just want something different but I don't feel like I drive enough for a car payment to make sense.

3) Infiniti G37s. Chat thread regulars will note I drove a G25 yesterday and was pretty impressed with everything but the get-up and go. Undecided if I would do an AT or MT. A MT is very manageable in Dallas traffic, but high probability I'd be moving elsewhere during the lifespan of the car. Somewhere like Seattle, Atlanta, or Denver, known for having bad traffic. And, if I am honest, I don't think I get much extra out of a MT, especially compared to modern ATs that shift fairly quickly (the only time I have regularly driven an AT was a '98 durango, which was insufferable, but transmissions have come a long way since then). Could afford one now and could very easily afford one next year when I get a big raise, but, as noted above, just don't know that a car payment makes sense in my circumstances. I drove way more than I expected last year, which added up to 8k miles.

#1. Took it on a road trip this weekend, and it was smoking something fierce from under the hood whenever I stopped. Did the same when I went to the airport yesterday morning. Oil on the exhaust I figure. Time to get out the checkbook. :facepalm: :( . I've got another 20k before the t-belt needs to be done so I am not sure if I am going to have that done as well or not.

But I have known this was coming since last summer so oh well.

Tave

I dropped 4-hundy on a fucking O2 sensor today. Jesus wept.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

2o6

Quote from: Tave on August 13, 2013, 05:34:16 PM
I dropped 4-hundy on a fucking O2 sensor today. Jesus wept.

On the Aveo? That car is worth about $400....

Tave

Quote from: 2o6 on August 13, 2013, 05:58:13 PM

On the Aveo? That car is worth about $400....

Yeah evidently it's an expensive part on my model. It failed last week in Nashville. I took it to a dealer and they priced me out at $380 + $150 labor but couldn't get the part until the day after I left. Then I took it to a dealer here and they quoted me $550 for the part alone and said it would take at least a week to order (after I made an appointment, explained what I needed, and confirmed they had it in stock). I told them to fuck off and went to a friend's friend's tire store and service center. They quoted me $390 in parts and $50 in labor. Sold.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.