Your next automotive purchase

Started by MrH, August 01, 2013, 08:52:44 PM

hotrodalex

Quote from: MiataJohn on August 10, 2013, 04:18:32 PM
What problem are you addressing when you do that?

Maybe a little more stopping power overall, prevent brake fade after hard use, and most importantly look prettier behind the shiny new wheels.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: S204STi on August 10, 2013, 01:49:34 PM
VF39, larger intercooler. Maybe a mild axleback exhaust.
That is gonna rip... your car has the 2.5 too right

Despite Cougs protests I really want an intake and exhaust. I feel like this thing will sound incredible opened up. I just don't want the exhaust to be droney on the highway. I am thinking about just getting straight dual 2.5" pipes to the back and then using some conventional baffled mufflers. I had that setup on a few other cars and it worked nicely for pretty cheap. JWT pop charger is only ~$120 bucks.

Stock brakes also suck... my fucking (Prelude brake swapped) Accord had bigger front rotors :hammerhead: Brembo upgrade is a little pricey and I am not sure the calipers would be the weak link even at a track day. There is an OE caliper BBK upgrade (11" to 13") for a doable price. I do drive a bit aggressively and haven't seen much fade though.

I need to get some basic tools as well. Gonna hit up Harbor Freight some time this week to get a jack, jackstands and front/rear bike stands. Then I will be ready to work.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Rupert

I don't think I'd buy any of that stuff from Harbor Freight...
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

12,000 RPM

Whew just read some reviews. Yea a couple bucks is not worth my life. Eh I might still get the bike stands from them though... won't be using them much and a lot of folks like em.

Jacks seem to have got expensive in the last 10 yrs.

Rupert

Sears, mang. Almost nothing is worth buying at HF, unless you'll almost never use it and it won't kill you when it dies.

The jack doesn't have to be great, because you always have good jack stands doing the actual supporting, but cheap jacks suck to use anyway.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

My jack stands are 12x14x16 inch blocks of white oak that I "inherited" from my time with the ironworkers.

They've held up 250 ton presses, I think they might be safe for my cars.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Well Ill be a huckleberry hound, Craftsman jack and stands for $60. And there's a Sears 1 exit away. Thanks for the heads up.

Rupert

E-yup. Craftsman is probably overpriced, but it's still way cheaper than Snap-On and waaay better than HF and similar. I buy a lot of Craftsman.

hotrodalex

I wouldn't bother with Snap-On unless you're an actual mechanic. Craftsman is just about as good (other than warranty) and cheaper. Harbor Freight is good for throw away tools.

Rupert

Right. And some of the Craftsman stuff is still lifetime warranted. I've got a couple of ratchets replaced.

Cookie Monster

I used some Duralast jackstands for my car. They were like $20. :lol:

I would put my car on HF stands as well, but it doesn't weigh that much so I'm not concerned with the stands failing.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

hotrodalex

Quote from: Rupert on August 10, 2013, 06:28:43 PM
Right. And some of the Craftsman stuff is still lifetime warranted. I've got a couple of ratchets replaced.

Wonder if their 1/4" ratchets have that. Seems like those are really fragile and need to be replaced a lot.

S204STi

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 10, 2013, 05:02:05 PM
That is gonna rip... your car has the 2.5 too right

Despite Cougs protests I really want an intake and exhaust. I feel like this thing will sound incredible opened up. I just don't want the exhaust to be droney on the highway. I am thinking about just getting straight dual 2.5" pipes to the back and then using some conventional baffled mufflers. I had that setup on a few other cars and it worked nicely for pretty cheap. JWT pop charger is only ~$120 bucks.

Stock brakes also suck... my fucking (Prelude brake swapped) Accord had bigger front rotors :hammerhead: Brembo upgrade is a little pricey and I am not sure the calipers would be the weak link even at a track day. There is an OE caliper BBK upgrade (11" to 13") for a doable price. I do drive a bit aggressively and haven't seen much fade though.

I need to get some basic tools as well. Gonna hit up Harbor Freight some time this week to get a jack, jackstands and front/rear bike stands. Then I will be ready to work.

Oh yeah... 330hp easy, maybe more, since the STI has the same motor and those things uncorked are good for around 350hp.  My only concern then would be the 5-speed, which is made of glass.

How hard is it to find used 350Z brembo parts?

S204STi

Quote from: S204STi on August 10, 2013, 07:36:34 PM
Oh yeah... 330hp easy, maybe more, since the STI has the same motor and those things uncorked are good for around 350hp.  My only concern then would be the 5-speed, which is made of glass.

Also, I'd get the Sears jack and jackstands, but do what you think is best.

Rupert

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 10, 2013, 07:06:37 PM
Wonder if their 1/4" ratchets have that. Seems like those are really fragile and need to be replaced a lot.

Yep, that's what I've had replaced. :lol:

12,000 RPM

Quote from: S204STi on August 10, 2013, 07:36:34 PM

I didnt find anything on Ebay. Only real advantage is the multiple piston calipers, which I don't really care about. I would rather fight fade, which the bigger rotors and SS lines would do more for. Stock brakes don't feel too bad, but they would def get nuked on a track.

Can you do a 6 speed swap, or is there a problem with the DCCD or w/e?

Rupert

Have you done many track days, sporty?

12,000 RPM

None yet... part of why I wanted to leave NY. I am pretty much done with riding on the street, and the Z needs room to stretch its legs every now and then

S204STi

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 10, 2013, 08:19:00 PM
I didnt find anything on Ebay. Only real advantage is the multiple piston calipers, which I don't really care about. I would rather fight fade, which the bigger rotors and SS lines would do more for. Stock brakes don't feel too bad, but they would def get nuked on a track.

Can you do a 6 speed swap, or is there a problem with the DCCD or w/e?

You could either hook up an aftermarket controller, leave it always open, or do a Spec B legacy trans, which has a mechanical Torsen center diff instead of the dccd. The last option would be my choice.

S204STi

Quote from: Rupert on August 10, 2013, 08:15:02 PM
Yep, that's what I've had replaced. :lol:

My snap on 1/4 ratchet seems bomb proof...

hotrodalex

Quote from: S204STi on August 10, 2013, 09:37:16 PM
My snap on 1/4 ratchet seems bomb proof...

How much did it cost?

Quick search online is showing $60-110 depending on exact model. :mask: Craftsman is $10-20.

Rupert

Yeah, I'm sure it is, but the costs still don't work out in its favor for non-professionals like me.

SVT666

My uncle has been a heavy duty mechanic for 40 years and most of his tolls are Craftsman with a few Snap-ons.  He claims the Craftsmans are pretty much as good as the Snap-on tools for a third the cost and they still have a lifetime warranty.  The only Snap-on tools he has are ones that either Craftsman doesn't make or the ones that they do make don't work as well.

Rupert

I think this thread should be called, "Your Next Automotive Project," since we mostly aren't talking about buying whole cars.

S204STi

Quote from: SVT666 on August 10, 2013, 11:48:16 PM
My uncle has been a heavy duty mechanic for 40 years and most of his tolls are Craftsman with a few Snap-ons.  He claims the Craftsmans are pretty much as good as the Snap-on tools for a third the cost and they still have a lifetime warranty.  The only Snap-on tools he has are ones that either Craftsman doesn't make or the ones that they do make don't work as well.

I have a decent mix of both.  For hand tools, SnapOn is far better, like exponentially.  For air tools, I like Ingersoll Rand.

S204STi

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 10, 2013, 09:47:18 PM
How much did it cost?

Quick search online is showing $60-110 depending on exact model. :mask: Craftsman is $10-20.

I suspect it's in the middle of the range.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: S204STi on August 11, 2013, 12:50:32 AM
I have a decent mix of both.  For hand tools, SnapOn is far better, like exponentially.  For air tools, I like Ingersoll Rand.

Craftsman's "professional" line is near Snap-On in quality.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

Quote from: SVT666 on August 10, 2013, 11:48:16 PM
When I first got into working on cars you could see a differance from one tool brand and the other.  Many of the MAC, SNAP-ON and Craftsman tools now are the exact same tool made in china and sold at a different price. The only reason to buy a MAC or SNAP-ON tool is having the dealer drive up to you every week or after a phone call to replace your tool when it breaks. With craftsman you must get in the car and drive however far it is to do that.

68_427

J work for harbour freight

I agree with everything said
Quotewhere were you when automotive dream died
i was sat at home drinking brake fluid when wife ring
'racecar is die'
no

S204STi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 11, 2013, 01:19:45 AM
Craftsman's "professional" line is near Snap-On in quality.

Not really...