280Z's BMW

Started by 280Z Turbo, August 12, 2013, 05:19:15 PM

280Z Turbo

Just picked up a 2001 BMW 330ci 5 speed with 81,000. This car sounds and goes a lot like the Z, but it has table manners. :lol:

Everything is so smooth. You can feel bumps, but you don't jounce over them like in the Focus. I've found that there's no need to downshift on the freeway to pass because it just has so much torque. :evildude: The throws are a bit long on the shifter, but it's very light and precise. I'm not sure if it has an aftermarket exhaust or not, but in any case it makes a very nice straight six growl!

I ended up paying $9000. Seems like a lot for a 2001 model year car, but it was about the cheapest manual 330Ci I've seen in the country. The PO was really picky about the car and it shows.

Still not sure if I want to keep the Focus for a winter beater or buy winter tires and rims for it. We already went through this with the BRZ scenario and the consensus seemed to be to keep it because storage is a non issue.

J86

MexicoCityM3

Congratulations, finally someone showing some taste here.  :ohyeah:

My '00 328Ci was the same color and manual too. Loved that car.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

Laconian

Congratulations! Enjoy that foreverially buttery I6!
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

CALL_911

Beautiful. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a tad envious.

Congratulations, Sean. I hope it serves you well.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

12,000 RPM

Holy fuck that is a slamming deal

Nice car too

Good job
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Tave

How many miles?

I'd keep the Focus for winter driving for sure. Stability systems have come a long way since 2001, I bet this beast is a handful in the snow.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Laconian

Want a name change to 330ci?

280Z Turbo

Maybe when I actually get rid of the Z.

280Z Turbo has been my identity since 2005! :mask:

MrH

:golfclap:  Looks awesome man.  Congrats!
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Laconian

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 12, 2013, 06:29:33 PM
Maybe when I actually get rid of the Z.

280Z Turbo has been my identity since 2005! :mask:

Well, it could've been worse, you could've specified your age in your profile name. That's packed with recurring facepalms for life.

r0tor

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

Vinsanity

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 12, 2013, 05:19:15 PM
I ended up paying $9000. Seems like a lot for a 2001 model year car,

I do agree, but hey, as long as you get exactly what you want...

dazzleman

Congratulations Sean.  That's my favorite BMW vintage.  Welcome to the club and enjoy!
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

Raza

Very nice!  Glad you finally made a move on a car. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: dazzleman on August 12, 2013, 08:22:37 PM
Congratulations Sean.  That's my favorite BMW vintage.  Welcome to the club and enjoy!

So, do I have to start acting like a prick now that I own a BMW? :lol:

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on August 12, 2013, 09:27:33 PM
So, do I have to start acting like a prick now that I own a BMW? :lol:

I don't know about 3ers, but the Z4 and I are greeted like heroes everywhere we go.  Just yesterday I had some kids yell "I like your car, yo!" as I was driving.  And some chick complimented it at a 7-11 the other day.  I rarely get cut off and people seem to let me in more than they did when I drove an ego-free VW.  Of course, I also get people wanting to race, but that's fun too.  BMWs are good guy cars now that all the douches drive Infinitis. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on August 12, 2013, 09:32:03 PM
I don't know about 3ers, but the Z4 and I are greeted like heroes everywhere we go.  Just yesterday I had some kids yell "I like your car, yo!" as I was driving.  And some chick complimented it at a 7-11 the other day.  I rarely get cut off and people seem to let me in more than they did when I drove an ego-free VW.  Of course, I also get people wanting to race, but that's fun too.  BMWs are good guy cars now that all the douches drive Infinitis. 

Nicely played my friend: nicely played indeed.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Char

Awesome buy, I would check out E46fanatics, there is a LOT of good information there AND I'm a member (hint, I own a BMW)
I'd recommend tackling the cooling system if it wasn't done already, they are prone to failure.
Quote from: 565 on December 26, 2012, 09:13:44 AM
... Nissan needs to use these shocks on the GT-R.  It would be like the Incredible Hulk wielding Thor's hammer.... unstoppable.

hotrodalex

Sweet!

Exhaust is probably stock - 330's have a very nice growl to them.

Quote from: Tave on August 12, 2013, 06:05:12 PM
Stability systems have come a long way since 2001, I bet this beast is a handful in the snow.

My E46 sedan was simple to drive in snow. Very good balance and the stability control reeled it back in when needed. (Turn it off and you can drift like a champ :rockon: )

hotrodalex

Quote from: Char on August 12, 2013, 11:18:05 PM
I'd recommend tackling the cooling system if it wasn't done already, they are prone to failure.

As in the water pump?

12,000 RPM

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 12, 2013, 11:24:06 PM
As in the water pump?
Everything... I think the radiator is made with plastic supports, BMW just cheaped out on some shit

The damn xenon headlights have plastic reflectors that blacken out over time  :wtf:

Still good cars though. I was really considering one but this Z fell in my lap
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

cawimmer430

Yeah!

Suck on that, Subaru BRZ and Mazda Miata and Infiniti G owners!  :lol:  :thumbsup:  :cheers:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 13, 2013, 05:20:26 AM
Everything... I think the radiator is made with plastic supports, BMW just cheaped out on some shit

The damn xenon headlights have plastic reflectors that blacken out over time  :wtf:

Still good cars though. I was really considering one but this Z fell in my lap

I did the radiator, hoses and expansion tank on my 5er. It was about 200 bucks in parts, all oem. This was my favorite place when I was buying parts.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/index.htm

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MexicoCityM3 on August 12, 2013, 05:34:15 PM
Congratulations, finally someone showing some taste here.  :ohyeah:

My '00 328Ci was the same color and manual too. Loved that car.

Normally making a comment like that wouldn't be an issue with this group of neanderthals. As I am the only member here with impeccable automotive taste, you sir have crossed the line.

SVT666

Quote from: Tave on August 12, 2013, 06:05:12 PM
How many miles?

I'd keep the Focus for winter driving for sure. Stability systems have come a long way since 2001, I bet this beast is a handful in the snow.
I hope you're joking.  RWD is fine in the snow. 

SJ_GTI

Congrats, very nice looking car.

FWIW my guess is the BMW would be fine in the winter, especially if you got snow tires. I guess it can depend on where you live, though I saw plenty of BMW's in the winter while living in Toronto and Montreal.

Quote from: Laconian on August 12, 2013, 06:07:21 PM
Want a name change to 330ci?

You can change people's user names???  :dance:

Can you  change mine to SJ_S4??? I haven't had a GTI in over 3 years.   :facepalm:

hotrodalex

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 13, 2013, 07:31:45 AM
I did the radiator, hoses and expansion tank on my 5er. It was about 200 bucks in parts, all oem. This was my favorite place when I was buying parts.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/index.htm

Unless something breaks I don't see why he should replace it all.

Tave

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 12, 2013, 11:23:43 PM
My E46 sedan was simple to drive in snow. Very good balance and the stability control reeled it back in when needed. (Turn it off and you can drift like a champ :rockon: )

I checked and I think BMW's dynamic stability system came online in 2000, so you're probably right. For some reason I thought it was more recent.

Where are you seeing all this snow? You must live next door to Onslaught... :evildude:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Tave

Also, 240Z, mileage?