BMW drivers really are jerks, studies find

Started by cawimmer430, August 13, 2013, 03:52:47 PM

dazzleman

Quote from: Madman on August 16, 2013, 10:34:43 PM
Based strictly on my own non-scientific personal observations, Hummer drivers (especially during the height of the millennial SUV boom) were the biggest jerks on the road, followed by drivers of other giant SUVs and monster-sized pickups.  Then you have the Lexus drivers, all of whom are snotty self-absorbed women who scream at you for having the audacity to be using the same road as them, which they somehow believe is exclusively theirs and theirs alone.

Sure, I've seen a few asshat BMW drivers in my time, but they're not even in the same league as the people I've mentioned above.

I think minivan drivers are among the worst.  They're usually self-righteous middle-aged women.

I don't have much of a problem with BMW drivers.  Of course, I am one, though I don't think I fit the BMW stereotype since I'm relatively nice.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

TurboDan

I actually don't think BMW drivers are that bad, at least not any worse than any other group.

I'm going to agree with Madman. I find young to young-middle-aged men in monster pickup trucks are the absolute worst as far as dickheadedness goes.

CALL_911

For whatever reason I find that I drive more aggressively I normally do in my dad's BMW

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

hotrodalex

Quote from: CALL_911 on August 17, 2013, 11:32:10 AM
For whatever reason I find that I drive more aggressively I normally do in my dad's BMW

I drive more aggressively the faster and more refined the car is. Mostly because I know the car can keep up and it's fun. Never do anything dick-ish on purpose, though.

Onslaught

Back in the 90's I did think that most BMW drives acted like a bunch of ass holes. Now I think that the Audi drivers are the ones who drive like aggressive dick holes and the Mercedes drivers seem to think they're better then anyone and deserve to put their cars anywhere they want when they want. Us common people really shouldn't be on their roads anyway. BMW drivers now are just like all the other normal ass holes out on the road.

Laconian

Quote from: dazzleman on August 17, 2013, 08:03:09 AM
:rockon:
Nice.  I've never seen 5ers for rent.  That's excellent.  Enjoy it, man.

Ha ha, you drive a rental car.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

Onslaught

Quote from: dazzleman on August 17, 2013, 08:03:09 AM
:rockon:
Nice.  I've never seen 5ers for rent.  That's excellent.  Enjoy it, man.
I think you can rent just about anything. Now that my shop works on rental cars I see all kinds of shit every week that I had no idea you could rent. And with some of them I can't figure out why you would.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: TurboDan on August 17, 2013, 11:27:05 AM
I actually don't think BMW drivers are that bad, at least not any worse than any other group.

I'm going to agree with Madman. I find young to young-middle-aged men in monster pickup trucks are the absolute worst as far as dickheadedness goes.

Red and Black Dodges mostly. Err, Rams I guess. whatever. the ones with the diagram of the female reproductive system for their logo.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

SJ_GTI

Quote from: MX793 on August 17, 2013, 07:05:30 AM
I've noticed a trend where 90% of the cars with NJ-issued license plates are driven by complete ass-hats.

:evildude:

When I drove through New York a lot (between Toronto and New Jersey) I noticed I got some especially nasty looks from drviers in the Syracuse area. I always assumed it was because of my black "R" Rutgers license plates.  :lol:

I don't have a problem with most out of state drivers, except that PA drivers seem especially bad at the "keep right except to pass" rule.

MX793

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 19, 2013, 08:33:15 AM

When I drove through New York a lot (between Toronto and New Jersey) I noticed I got some especially nasty looks from drviers in the Syracuse area. I always assumed it was because of my black "R" Rutgers license plates.  :lol:

I don't have a problem with most out of state drivers, except that PA drivers seem especially bad at the "keep right except to pass" rule.

Be glad you didn't have a Georgetown license plates.

My gripes with NJ drivers are that they speed recklessly (like, going 50+ in 30 mph residential streets with lots of pedestrian and cross traffic), tail-gate, cut people off, and apparently stop signs in NJ mean "slow down to about the speed limit as you cruise through this intersection".
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

veeman

new jersey drivers drive recklessly because they're so used to 8 lane highways which are surrounded by black smoke billowing factories.  I get on the NJ turnpike, and I feel like going warp speed just to reduce my chance of getting cancer.  In addition, everyone is pissed because they just spent an hour tied up in traffic leaving manhattan or dreading the inevitable hour it will take to get into manhattan. 

giant_mtb

Most out-of-state people I see around here think that the highway has the speed limit of a freeway.  There's only one brief strip of road in the whole UP with a speed limit above 55mph.  These damn city folk driving 70 in a 55 really grind my gears.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 19, 2013, 10:36:40 PM
Most out-of-state people I see around here think that the highway has the speed limit of a freeway.  There's only one brief strip of road in the whole UP with a speed limit above 55mph.  These damn city folk driving 70 in a 55 really grind my gears.

Better downgrade your car to a Toyota Echo so you can better resist the urge to speed, old man.

TurboDan

Quote from: SJ_GTI on August 19, 2013, 08:33:15 AM

Agree on PA drivers.

New York drivers are weird, too. They're either absolute maniacs on the road, or going 15 under the limit in the left lane. Could never figure that out. My whole NY side of the family fall into the maniac category, for what it's worth. They got A LOT of dirty looks when they had to move to Ohio for about 7 years due to my uncle's job.  :lol:

TurboDan

Quote from: veeman on August 19, 2013, 09:11:42 PM
new jersey drivers drive recklessly because they're so used to 8 lane highways which are surrounded by black smoke billowing factories.  I get on the NJ turnpike, and I feel like going warp speed just to reduce my chance of getting cancer.  In addition, everyone is pissed because they just spent an hour tied up in traffic leaving manhattan or dreading the inevitable hour it will take to get into manhattan.

And most New Jersey residents who are not from that stupid, digusting-but-all-too-famous 15-mile-long portion of the entire goddamn state hate that this is how people think the entire place looks!  :devil:

There isn't a factory or smokestack within 50 miles of where I live.  :huh:

The animosity between the northern and southern halves of New Jersey is so bitter that there have been proposed referendums to split the state in two. It never made it to a full vote (last time they tried was in the late 80s, I think), mainly because my county (Ocean County) narrowly voted with the north, likely due to many former northern people retiring here.

TurboDan

Quote from: MX793 on August 19, 2013, 04:24:05 PM
Be glad you didn't have a Georgetown license plates.

My gripes with NJ drivers are that they speed recklessly (like, going 50+ in 30 mph residential streets with lots of pedestrian and cross traffic), tail-gate, cut people off, and apparently stop signs in NJ mean "slow down to about the speed limit as you cruise through this intersection".

This is all true. The police very, very rarely stop people for rolling through a stop sign here. It's funny, even our red light cameras are set so you can blow the red at 15mph or less while making a right turn and not get a ticket.  :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 19, 2013, 10:36:40 PM

Naww, its just that we know that 95% of your law enforcement is tied up weighing fish or cracking down on illegal bear wrestling rings, so its pretty safe to speed.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

ChrisV

Quote from: TurboDan on August 19, 2013, 11:27:13 PM
And most New Jersey residents who are not from that stupid, digusting-but-all-too-famous 15-mile-long portion of the entire goddamn state hate that this is how people think the entire place looks!  :devil:

There isn't a factory or smokestack within 50 miles of where I live.  :huh:

The animosity between the northern and southern halves of New Jersey is so bitter that there have been proposed referendums to split the state in two. It never made it to a full vote (last time they tried was in the late 80s, I think), mainly because my county (Ocean County) narrowly voted with the north, likely due to many former northern people retiring here.

Hell it's not just north vs south, but northeast vs every other part of the state. i love driving thorugh the northwest part of NJ, up in the mountainous lakes region and out to the Delaware Water Gap.
Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...