Cadillac Elmiraj concept

Started by Mustangfan2003, August 15, 2013, 10:19:12 PM

Laconian

For me, it's just a feeling of deja vu with Cadillac. They have a pattern of teasing huge piano-black executive coupes and sedans with 22" wheels and gobs of presence, and then doing absolutely nothing with the idea. Are these concepts even productive for them?  The price point that Caddies play in nowadays is nowhere near what these cars would require. It's almost like Kia making a Rolls Royce.  I would be more credulous if the concept explored Cadillac's identity within the midlevel executive car class, which IMO is the ceiling of Cadillac's reach.

The car taken by itself looks really cool, although the instrumentation's readouts are too miniscule and the means of interacting are way too obscure to be accessible.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

SVT666

I think Cadillac can slowly but surely compete on all levels of luxury.  This car is beautiful.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Colin on August 19, 2013, 02:43:00 PM
Surprised at the overall reaction on here, as I was expecting plenty of approval and you guys seem quite luke warm to negative.... I think it looks really rather good.

It's not a BRZ, Miata or Infiniti G.  :ohyeah:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

ChrisV

Like a fine Detroit wine, this vehicle has aged to budgetary perfection...

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

GoCougs

Quote from: Colin on August 19, 2013, 02:43:00 PM
Surprised at the overall reaction on here, as I was expecting plenty of approval and you guys seem quite luke warm to negative.... I think it looks really rather good.

It's fantastic and IMO towers over the Bentleys and S-classes, etc. Cadillac though has a habit of not doing much with these things. My only criticism is IMO it should have a big N/A motor.

hotrodalex

Quote from: GoCougs on August 20, 2013, 09:36:00 AM
It's fantastic and IMO towers over the Bentleys and S-classes, etc. Cadillac though has a habit of not doing much with these things. My only criticism is IMO it should have a big N/A motor.

V12 would be perfect.

This is what Cadillacs were like in the 50's and 60's. I hope they eventually have something like this on the showroom floor. Price it around $100k and show the Germans and Brits how Americans do high-end luxury.

Galaxy

Quote from: ChrisV on August 20, 2013, 07:20:01 AM

:winkguy:

That reminds me of a commercial for a classic music radio station that ran on TV.

Klassikradio

I could never figure that one out.

FlatBlackCaddy

Should have brought the rear pillars out more at the beltline, it looks "weird" from this angle.

Catman

I think the rear wheel/tire needs to be tucked in a bit.

Raza

I think it's good looking, but the name says it all.  A mirage.  Another Cadillac Sixteen.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Laconian on August 19, 2013, 02:57:12 PM
For me, it's just a feeling of deja vu with Cadillac. They have a pattern of teasing huge piano-black executive coupes and sedans with 22" wheels and gobs of presence, and then doing absolutely nothing with the idea. Are these concepts even productive for them?  The price point that Caddies play in nowadays is nowhere near what these cars would require. It's almost like Kia making a Rolls Royce.  I would be more credulous if the concept explored Cadillac's identity within the midlevel executive car class, which IMO is the ceiling of Cadillac's reach.

The car taken by itself looks really cool, although the instrumentation's readouts are too miniscule and the means of interacting are way too obscure to be accessible.
Yep, the boy who cried Cadillac

They make concepts like this but then make derivative cars like the ATS/XTS. CTS shows promise.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

hotrodalex

What's wrong with the ATS besides the engines? And the XTS seems pretty nice too, for what it is.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 25, 2013, 06:17:41 PM
What's wrong with the ATS besides the engines? And the XTS seems pretty nice too, for what it is.
:hesaid: The Base engine is the only ATS complaint I've heard!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 25, 2013, 06:17:41 PM
ATS: CUE and market placement

XTS is a good fleet luxury car but I'm not sure it's something people aspire to own.

Caddy is playing it very conservative in a time where I think they could benefit from being bolder. A big Caddy coupe or a Caddy A7 would help elevate the brand way more than the ATS/XTS

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 26, 2013, 05:32:33 AM

XTS is a good fleet luxury car but I'm not sure it's something people aspire to own.

Caddy is playing it very conservative in a time where I think they could benefit from being bolder. A big Caddy coupe or a Caddy A7 would help elevate the brand way more than the ATS/XTS
This I agree with 100%!!!

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 26, 2013, 05:32:33 AM

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on August 26, 2013, 06:02:34 AM
This I agree with 100%!!!

Hmm...the two black guys want a big and gaudy Cadillac.  I'd never have guessed.  :lol:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  on August 26, 2013, 07:52:28 AM

Hmm...the two black guys want a big and gaudy Cadillac.  I'd never have guessed.  :lol:
:shakesfist:

Gotta-Qik-C7

In all seriousness Cadillac needs a flagship model that smacks the Germans in the mouth like the CTS-V did!

Vinsanity

Quote from: Raza  on August 26, 2013, 07:52:28 AM

Dude a Caddy A7 would be awesome

Raza

Quote from: Vinsanity on August 26, 2013, 10:11:42 AM
Dude a Caddy A7 would be awesome

Audi already makes one of those.  I'd just buy that. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Atomic

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 15, 2013, 11:12:13 PM
"New" badge is a good idea. The wreath was too old school, but the crest alone looks pretty slick.

The car looks great, especially from the rear and inside. I think my only problem with it is the empty space between the headlights and the grill. Not a big deal, though.

Was thinking the same thing about the simplified and far more contemporary badge... Also, I agree with some of the others, too, in that it looks as though they had taken some of their "old" and to me "dated" concept cars and updated them with this one far clearer refreshened design. Not bad.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on August 26, 2013, 10:27:25 AM
Audi already makes one of those.  I'd just buy that.

Yes, and by the time you load it up with luxuries like wheels, seats, a windshield, etc, you will be in for a six figure ride

Meanwhile Caddy is already selling cars with shit like trunk latches and headlights standard for 40, 50K. A highly stylized but affordable flagship is exactly what Caddy needs. They just have to be smart about it.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hotrodalex on August 15, 2013, 11:12:13 PM
"New" badge is a good idea. The wreath was too old school, but the crest alone looks pretty slick.

The car looks great, especially from the rear and inside. I think my only problem with it is the empty space between the headlights and the grill. Not a big deal, though.

Were they still using the wheat? I thought that had been dropped long ago.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 26, 2013, 07:43:31 PM
Were they still using the wheat? I thought that had been dropped long ago.
Yes but they switched to whole wheat in the 90s. To get that PNW market

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on August 26, 2013, 07:03:31 PM
Yes, and by the time you load it up with luxuries like wheels, seats, a windshield, etc, you will be in for a six figure ride

Meanwhile Caddy is already selling cars with shit like trunk latches and headlights standard for 40, 50K. A highly stylized but affordable flagship is exactly what Caddy needs. They just have to be smart about it.

Watch out, you're going to fall in that........  *thud*

You just fell into the same mindset that GM does with cadillac, one that contradicts your prior post of being bold and taking it to the germans.

Everytime cadillac does anything, they do it cheaper. Which then makes them have to defend a lackluster car for years to the media and buyers. When all other arguments fail, they just blurt out "but it's cheaper".

That's cadillacs problem, they need to make a flagship and not care about the cost. Now I'm not saying make a 200K car, but make a vehicle that hits "around" a price point. The XLR wasn't a bad try. Don't get me wrong, the car absolutely sucked, but they PRICED it how they should be pricing a car in that range.

I think when all is said and done, cadillac just won't ever elevate itself beyond where it is now. They are always looking to be cheaper, a budget luxury automaker(the purpose of buick). It's the attitude more than anything, I'm sure without beancounters hovering over them they could design, engineer and build amazing luxury cars that would compete on all levels and never once make a reference to price.

I'm certainly not going to hold my breath, that's for sure.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 27, 2013, 07:49:28 AM
Watch out, you're going to fall in that........  *thud*

You just fell into the same mindset that GM does with cadillac, one that contradicts your prior post of being bold and taking it to the germans.

Everytime cadillac does anything, they do it cheaper. Which then makes them have to defend a lackluster car for years to the media and buyers. When all other arguments fail, they just blurt out "but it's cheaper".

That's cadillacs problem, they need to make a flagship and not care about the cost. Now I'm not saying make a 200K car, but make a vehicle that hits "around" a price point. The XLR wasn't a bad try. Don't get me wrong, the car absolutely sucked, but they PRICED it how they should be pricing a car in that range.

I think when all is said and done, cadillac just won't ever elevate itself beyond where it is now. They are always looking to be cheaper, a budget luxury automaker(the purpose of buick). It's the attitude more than anything, I'm sure without beancounters hovering over them they could design, engineer and build amazing luxury cars that would compete on all levels and never once make a reference to price.

I'm certainly not going to hold my breath, that's for sure.

You can't charge top dollar for a subpar product.  The XLR was not as good as the SL, but cost just about as much, that's why it failed.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on August 27, 2013, 08:05:31 AM
You can't charge top dollar for a subpar product.  The XLR was not as good as the SL, but cost just about as much, that's why it failed.

I know that, and I stated that in the post. I figured it went without saying that you have to make the product worth the asking price.

Cadillacs problem is they make cheap luxury, and the only time they've tried to compete(on price) it's with the same cheap luxury cars that are over priced.

If cadillac comes out of the hole(from the design stage) to build a "90K ish" luxury sedan and designs it to compete on every front with the competition, they might just make something good. They just have to resist doing stupid things like digging some motors out of a chevy and taking the interior out of a cts, etc.

hotrodalex

I agree, Cadillac needs to do its thing and not be held back.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on August 27, 2013, 08:14:20 AM
I know that, and I stated that in the post. I figured it went without saying that you have to make the product worth the asking price.

Cadillacs problem is they make cheap luxury, and the only time they've tried to compete(on price) it's with the same cheap luxury cars that are over priced.

If cadillac comes out of the hole(from the design stage) to build a "90K ish" luxury sedan and designs it to compete on every front with the competition, they might just make something good. They just have to resist doing stupid things like digging some motors out of a chevy and taking the interior out of a cts, etc.

They could use a Corvette engine and I don't think anyone would notice anything amiss.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i