Bogus Parking Ticket

Started by Minpin, August 18, 2013, 03:12:47 PM

Tave

Quote from: bing_oh on August 19, 2013, 08:49:20 AM
As a parking violation, it's pretty petty. As a traffic violation, there's actually a legitimate reason behind it. I can't count the number of times I've been behind an out of state license plate with a frame around it that blocks the state name. Sure, I can read the tag number, but it's useless unless I know what state the plate is from...it can't be run without that information and states have so many different specialty tags it's difficult for me to even recognize all the plates from the states around me, let alone ones from the other side of the country.

We don't know whether that's the case here.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Minpin

In state plain Jane tags, no stickers on my plate. The registration is tied to the actual plates, no stickers necessary.

The only thing it covered was the outer edge. It's a BS ticket, no matter what the cop-apologists try to say.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: bing_oh on August 19, 2013, 08:49:20 AM
As a parking violation, it's pretty petty. As a traffic violation, there's actually a legitimate reason behind it. I can't count the number of times I've been behind an out of state license plate with a frame around it that blocks the state name. Sure, I can read the tag number, but it's useless unless I know what state the plate is from...it can't be run without that information and states have so many different specialty tags it's difficult for me to even recognize all the plates from the states around me, let alone ones from the other side of the country.

Years ago, the color schemes were pretty clear cut. Then, in order to try and make more money, the states started issuing all these special edition plates for a small fee. Seems like they are the ones making your job more difficult.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

bing_oh

Quote from: Tave on August 19, 2013, 02:28:38 PMWe don't know whether that's the case here.

Didn't say it was...obviously, I havn't seen Minpin's plates so I dunno. I was explaining the motivation behind the plate obstruction laws in general.

bing_oh

Quote from: Soup DeVille on August 19, 2013, 03:30:45 PMYears ago, the color schemes were pretty clear cut. Then, in order to try and make more money, the states started issuing all these special edition plates for a small fee. Seems like they are the ones making your job more difficult.

They are. There are probably a dozen or more valid plates for Ohio alone. You're talking about hundreds of different designs for the US. Of course, it doesn't help when people cover up the plate name with a frame of their favorite sports' team, a "witty" comment, or the name of the dealership they bought it from.

bing_oh

Quote from: Minpin on August 19, 2013, 12:24:06 PMIt's all about money. And they won't be getting mine. They will get my time and ire, however. It's still not even clear I broke the law. If true how does every car dealership in IL escape the liability of their frames?

There's a good chance they're be getting your time, your ire, and your money, actually. And, once the car is yours and you drive it off the lot, it's your responsibility, not that of the dealership.

giant_mtb

First things I took off my car?  The dealership plate frame and crappy, will-be-rust-in-a-year Fox badge.

TurboDan

The dealership frame lasted about a week or so on the LR2 before I took 'er off. Mainly because the dealership was on the other side of the state. Where I live, there's the risk that you'll be pulled over because you're not a "local" if you stick out at all.

rohan

Quote from: Minpin on August 19, 2013, 03:09:14 PM
In state plain Jane tags, no stickers on my plate. The registration is tied to the actual plates, no stickers necessary.

The only thing it covered was the outer edge. It's a BS ticket, no matter what the cop-apologists try to say.
Illinios plates have mo/year stickers.  :huh:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/fin/supp_info/revenue/new_resident_parkinginformation.html

"Q: - What are the requirements for license plates in Illinois?
A: - State law requires license plates in Illinois be affixed to both the front and rear of passenger vehicles. Other types of vehicles can be subject to this requirement as well. The Illinois Secretary of State requires purchase of annual license plate renewal stickers that must be affixed to the rear license plate as proof of current registration. Vehicles that do not display current license plate registration stickers are subject to a $50.00 ticket. Visit the Illinois Secretary of State's website for more information."

Maybe this is where your problem starts?
http://outdooradventuresrevived.blogspot.com/

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

Minpin

Quote from: rohan on August 20, 2013, 12:48:04 AM
Illinios plates have mo/year stickers.  :huh:

http://www.cityofchicago.org/city/en/depts/fin/supp_info/revenue/new_resident_parkinginformation.html

"Q: - What are the requirements for license plates in Illinois?
A: - State law requires license plates in Illinois be affixed to both the front and rear of passenger vehicles. Other types of vehicles can be subject to this requirement as well. The Illinois Secretary of State requires purchase of annual license plate renewal stickers that must be affixed to the rear license plate as proof of current registration. Vehicles that do not display current license plate registration stickers are subject to a $50.00 ticket. Visit the Illinois Secretary of State's website for more information."

Maybe this is where your problem starts?

Fleet vehicle.
?Do you expect me to talk?"
"No, Mr Bond. I expect you to die!?

giant_mtb

Maybe they didn't recognize it as a fleet vehicle because of the college alumni frame.

...'cause why would that be on a fleet vehicle...

Raza

My plate all but fell off, so I was going to take that as an opportunity to take off the frame.  However, when putting the plate back on, as a matter of not thinking or whatever, I put the frame back on.  And I used Loctite on the screws.  I might just cut the frame off. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Loctite...isn't necessarily permanent...which color did you use?  Put some muscle into it, man.

bing_oh

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 20, 2013, 09:31:01 AMLoctite...isn't necessarily permanent...which color did you use?  Put some muscle into it, man.

We're talking about Raza, here. He'll have to have his butler do it for him.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 20, 2013, 09:31:01 AM
Loctite...isn't necessarily permanent...which color did you use?  Put some muscle into it, man.

Blue.

I know it's not permanent, I don't don't want to deal with doing it again.  I don't remember where I put the Loctite tube now. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

Cause cutting the frame is less of a hassle than buying a new $3 bottle of Loctite and undoing a couple screws? :wtf:

Tave

Quote from: bing_oh on August 19, 2013, 09:20:19 PM
Didn't say it was...obviously, I havn't seen Minpin's plates so I dunno. I was explaining the motivation behind the plate obstruction laws in general.

I think everyone understands why we have a law against covering up information on your license plate.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 20, 2013, 09:50:38 AM
Cause cutting the frame is less of a hassle than buying a new $3 bottle of Loctite and undoing a couple screws? :wtf:

It's a cheap plastic frame.  Yeah, I think it's easier!  I can do it with my multitool, probably. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

giant_mtb

I bet your multi-tool has a fuggin' screwdriver on it, too.................

Please mind your paint!

CALL_911

Quote from: TurboDan on August 19, 2013, 11:46:51 PM
The dealership frame lasted about a week or so on the LR2 before I took 'er off. Mainly because the dealership was on the other side of the state. Where I live, there's the risk that you'll be pulled over because you're not a "local" if you stick out at all.

Ha, I was visiting my buddy in Deal last summer. His dad warned me to stick to speed limits, as I would apparently be a bigger target thanks to my NY plates.

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

MX793

Quote from: giant_mtb on August 20, 2013, 09:50:38 AM

Generally, there's enough loctite residue on the threads that there's still some locking effect if you remove the screws and then reassembly them (or adjust the torque on them after the loctite has cured).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on August 20, 2013, 09:41:25 AM
Blue.

I know it's not permanent, I don't don't want to deal with doing it again.  I don't remember where I put the Loctite tube now. 

Should use pink for stuff like that.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

J86

Quote from: Raza  on August 19, 2013, 01:19:15 PM
You should hire a lawyer to fight it. 

Best advice in this thread :lol:

J86

Quote from: bing_oh on August 19, 2013, 09:22:49 PM
frame of their favorite sports' team,

In lawl school I had a New England Patriots frame on the back of my grandpa cruiser (mercury sable wagon).  I was not in New England.  Woke up one morning and someone had ripped the back plate off my car... I'm half assuming it was to commit a heinous crime, but the other half thinks it was 'cause I had a Pats frame on there.  That learned me!

Raza

Quote from: J86 on August 20, 2013, 05:10:16 PM
In lawl school I had a New England Patriots frame on the back of my grandpa cruiser (mercury sable wagon).  I was not in New England.  Woke up one morning and someone had ripped the back plate off my car... I'm half assuming it was to commit a heinous crime, but the other half thinks it was 'cause I had a Pats frame on there.  That learned me!

I don't use my car as a billboard for my beliefs, likes, or dislikes any more than I'd walk up to random people and shout at them that there is no god or that Liverpool will make the Champions League this year.  You'll never see me with a YNWA sticker on my car or anything else like that. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

rohan

Quote from: Minpin on August 20, 2013, 05:51:59 AM
Fleet vehicle.
So what do we know about this statement?
~It can only belong to UPS, People Energy and Gas, Nicore (sp?), Commonwealth Edison, Ameren Illinios, Comcast or AT&T since Coca Cola and DHL has fazed all or nearly all of them out.   Possibly EAN Enterprise, but they have also phazed most if not all of theirs out as well.
~All fleet plates start with FP and then the numbers with no spaces.
~ILC 5/3-405.3  & ILC5/3-814.4 pretty well narrow down the rules on it.
~Fleet plates may only be purchased by companies with more than 500 vehicles.

Knowing that if you're being honest about it being fleet plate we've narrowed it down where you work.  :lol:  We also know that the issuing officer would know immediately from the characters on the plate it was a non-sticker requiring plate.  We can assume they must have met you at some point and just don't like you, which is a very realistic and fair assessment, found out where you parked somehow and wrote you a ticket.

Riddle solved.

"We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from out children."

~Chief Seattle

rohan

Quote from: Tave on August 20, 2013, 11:27:41 AM
I think everyone understands why we have a law against covering up information on your license plate.
And yet officers hear nearly daily "I didnt know that was illegal.".

~Chief Seattle

GoCougs

Quote from: Tave on August 20, 2013, 11:27:41 AM

So LEO can let their auto plate readers freely add you to their database which in turn is aggregated with that of others. Fun times in the age of Big Data.

Bless those that hide their plates and get away with it.

giant_mtb

I'm glad I live in a place where that shit always gets here either 10 years later or never at all. I mean, we don't even have a single traffic camera. Anywhere. It's great. At least not one meant for prosecution/handing out tickets.

CJ

Quote from: rohan on August 22, 2013, 09:44:46 AM
So what do we know about this statement?
~It can only belong to UPS, People Energy and Gas, Nicore (sp?), Commonwealth Edison, Ameren Illinios, Comcast or AT&T since Coca Cola and DHL has fazed all or nearly all of them out.   Possibly EAN Enterprise, but they have also phazed most if not all of theirs out as well.
~All fleet plates start with FP and then the numbers with no spaces.
~ILC 5/3-405.3  & ILC5/3-814.4 pretty well narrow down the rules on it.
~Fleet plates may only be purchased by companies with more than 500 vehicles.

Knowing that if you're being honest about it being fleet plate we've narrowed it down where you work.  :lol:  We also know that the issuing officer would know immediately from the characters on the plate it was a non-sticker requiring plate.  We can assume they must have met you at some point and just don't like you, which is a very realistic and fair assessment, found out where you parked somehow and wrote you a ticket.

Riddle solved.

Do you have any friends? Or know anyone? Do you live in some alternate world where this sort of thing is okay?

Colby has a fleet plate. It is none of your business where he works. You do not need to know anything else.