2007 Camry

Started by so cal cookie, November 14, 2005, 01:15:41 PM

TBR

Quote"And what is with that gearshift? Reverse and neutral aren't marked? I understand creativity, but this is unnecessary."
That actual brings up something I have been wondering about. How do you tell what gear you are in with the new GM console shifters?
I'd personally go with the little numbers that tell you which gear you're in.

Seriously, what issue are you referring to?
At least in pictures it doesn't look like there are any indicators beside the shifter.

ifcar

TBR

The Impala for sure.

93JC

Gauge cluster, under the speedometer.

TBR

TBR

Mark:
Of course, but most manufacturers have the gear order beside the shifter. I really would think that would make things easier, especially when you just start using the car.

ifcar

That's odd, I had never even noticed. But I guess if you're used to the gear order, you don't need the markings, which must be what Chevrolet is counting on.

TBR

True, but I still think it would be more convenient to have the markings there (especially since a lot of people are switching for column shift equipped suvs) and it isn't like they are particularly ugly if done right.

93JC

On one hand I don't like it because I'm used to a pattern next to the shifter, like you. On the other hand it makes loads of sense, since it's retarded to have to look at the shifter to know what position you're in.

In my mind, that's the whole idea behind a gated shifter. You have to move the shifter to one specific spot in order to be in the desired position. At the same time I've never liked to gated shifter because I always seem to find myself not knowing which way to move the stick. It's not intuitive. Take the Camry as an example. To go from Park to Drive, you move it right, then down, then left, then down, then left, then down. To go from park to drive in the Impala you move it down, that's it.

In the end I think the indicator in the instrument cluster is a good compromise. I tend to look at my gauges when I start a car anyway. After a while you don't even need an indicator. I can shift my Dodge into Overdrive by feel.

ifcar

"True, but I still think it would be more convenient to have the markings there (especially since a lot of people are switching for column shift equipped suvs) and it isn't like they are particularly ugly if done right. "

I agree. Perhaps they were concerned with making the console symmetrical.

TBR

QuoteOn one hand I don't like it because I'm used to a pattern next to the shifter, like you. On the other hand it makes loads of sense, since it's retarded to have to look at the shifter to know what position you're in.

In my mind, that's the whole idea behind a gated shifter. You have to move the shifter to one specific spot in order to be in the desired position. At the same time I've never liked to gated shifter because I always seem to find myself not knowing which way to move the stick. It's not intuitive. Take the Camry as an example. To go from Park to Drive, you move it right, then down, then left, then down, then left, then down. To go from park to drive in the Impala you move it down, that's it.

In the end I think the indicator in the instrument cluster is a good compromise. I tend to look at my gauges when I start a car anyway. After a while you don't even need an indicator. I can shift my Dodge into Overdrive by feel.
To be completely honest I've never used an AT console shifter, but it would make sense to me that when you first start using the car you would look down at the shifter when you shift. What they should have done (imho) is have lite up indicators beside the shifter so that when the car is off you can't even see them. Either way, it is just a small detail.  

93JC

You've never used a console-shifted automatic?

Frankly, considering that, I would have thought an indicator within the instruments would make absolute sense, as that would be the only thing you've ever seen.

TBR

I've only driven 4 vehicles (street legal that is, I don't think the tractor and 4wheeler count ;)) so that shouldn't be too surprising ;) (two were trucks with column shifters and the other two were cars with stick shifts).

Catman

QuoteYou've never used a console-shifted automatic?

Frankly, considering that, I would have thought an indicator within the instruments would make absolute sense, as that would be the only thing you've ever seen.
Yeah, it really isn't an issue if the info is in the gauge cluster.  In fact, it makes more sense to have it there.

93JC

QuoteI've only driven 4 vehicles (street legal that is, I don't think the tractor and 4wheeler count ;) ) so that shouldn't be too surprising ;) (two were trucks with column shifters and the other two were cars with stick shifts).

I would have thought it would be intuitive for you to have an indicator as part of the instruments, as is the case with console-shifted automatics.