So I guess the 918 broke the 7 min ring barrier.

Started by 565, September 10, 2013, 01:57:36 PM

Galaxy

Apropos 918: It can be ordered with Rims costing € 29,750 (US$ 39,448):confused: Their weight better be measured in grams not kilograms for that price.

SVT666

FlatBlackCaddy

Meh, it costs a bunch of money so it's really not a big achievement.

SVT666

Quote from: Galaxy on September 10, 2013, 02:08:06 PM
Apropos 918: It can be ordered with Rims costing € 29,750 (US$ 39,448):confused: Their weight better be measured in grams not kilograms for that price.
That is a good example of what I hate about Porsche in general.  Their options are so expensive it's stupid.

r0tor

Amazing time and its hybrid and blah blah blah.... if I were a buyer I would rather have them ditch all the hybrid crap, save a ton of weight, save a ton of money, and just roll with the flat 8
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee No Speed -- 2004 Mazda RX8 6 speed -- 2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia All Speed

12,000 RPM

Not sure I believe the time. The corner speeds were lower than I've seen on slower lap times, and top speed is important but won't knock down times by 10-20 seconds. Something just seems off.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 10, 2013, 06:16:08 PM
Not sure I believe the time. The corner speeds were lower than I've seen on slower lap times, and top speed is important but won't knock down times by 10-20 seconds. Something just seems off.

I'm not seeing any telemetry data in the article. Are you just eyeballing a guestimate based off the youtube video?
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Tave on September 10, 2013, 06:22:10 PM
I'm not seeing any telemetry data in the article. Are you just eyeballing a guestimate based off the youtube video?
Yea just reading the speedo during certain curves. Not scientific at all, but hey, they posted the video.

MrH

What are you talking about? They posted a video but you don't believe the time? All based on your gut feeling on what the speedometer says at certain parts? Are you suggesting the video was sped up to get it to look like the lap was under 7 minutes?
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

12,000 RPM

Yea I did some more research, the time is legit.

Soup DeVille

It may be that the low speed acceleration of the electric motors makes high mid-corner speeds less critical: which of course would mean that 6:57 isn't quite the best this car could be capable of.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

S204STi

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Tave

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 10, 2013, 07:09:32 PM
Yea just reading the speedo during certain curves. Not scientific at all, but hey, they posted the video.

You are better than that.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: r0tor on September 10, 2013, 04:50:17 PM
Amazing time and its hybrid and blah blah blah.... if I were a buyer I would rather have them ditch all the hybrid crap, save a ton of weight, save a ton of money, and just roll with the flat 8

All i saw was flat 8 in that post, and I couldn't agree more.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on September 11, 2013, 05:32:13 AM
Mother of Christ.  :mask:

Could you imagine that chassis/drivetrain but with a dodge monaco body on it?

12,000 RPM

+1 on the flat 8. I would have been happy with this being a skunkworks flat 8 carbon fiber body Cayman

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 11, 2013, 08:34:33 AM
+1 on the flat 8. I would have been happy with this being a skunkworks flat 8 carbon fiber body Cayman

Yup, technology is great. But a 2400lb, mid engined Naturally aspirated flat 8 with 600HP would have done the trick just fine.

MexicoCityM3

I think the 918 would be even faster if it didn't have the electric motor + batteries, saved that weight and had only the IC engine.
Founder, BMW Car Club de México
http://bmwclub.org.mx
'05 M3 E46 6SPD Mystic Blue
'08 M5 E60 SMG  Space Grey
'11 1M E82 6SPD Sapphire Black
'16 GT4 (1/3rd Share lol)
'18 M3 CS
'16 X5 5.0i (Wife)
'14 MINI Cooper Countryman S Automatic (For Sale)

hotrodalex

I disagree. It's not a rinky-dink electric motor set up. An extra 279 horsepower and AWD? That's definitely going to make you faster. The weight gain of most of these hybrids isn't the end of the world, since it's usually low in the chassis and in some cases lowers the center of gravity and gives you that crazy body control like you find in Teslas. And the HP numbers more than make up for the weight during acceleration.

Onslaught

I don't get the hate on these electric motors. If it makes cars faster I'm all for it.

You boys are going to be forced to come to terms that the world is changing. And things like this are here to stay and only going to increase. You'll have to buy older cars to keep away from it.

I'd also like to see the actual numbers on how much weight the electrical stuff added.

12,000 RPM

Here is my benchmark

If you have an unlimited budget to build a supercar it shouldn't weigh more than a 5 series

People say hybrids are necessary for emissions, bullshit. The gas engines in the McLaren and Ferrari are in brand new road cars. And McLaren and Ferrari's takes on the concept came out much lighter. Porsche got caught with their pants down.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Onslaught on September 11, 2013, 09:49:28 AM
I don't get the hate on these electric motors. If it makes cars faster I'm all for it.

You boys are going to be forced to come to terms that the world is changing. And things like this are here to stay and only going to increase. You'll have to buy older cars to keep away from it.

I'd also like to see the actual numbers on how much weight the electrical stuff added.

I don't have a problem with the technology, or the direction these things are heading. I think wanting something different isn't really being against this(these) advancements, just more of a personal preference.

SVT666

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 11, 2013, 10:11:24 AM
Here is my benchmark

If you have an unlimited budget to build a supercar it shouldn't weigh more than a 5 series

People say hybrids are necessary for emissions, bullshit. The gas engines in the McLaren and Ferrari are in brand new road cars. And McLaren and Ferrari's takes on the concept came out much lighter. Porsche got caught with their pants down.

They didn't get caught with their pants down.  This car has been in development for what seems like forever.  The fact that it broke the 7 minute barrier kinda takes the steam out of your argument.

SVT666

I agree though, that a supercar shouldn't weigh this much which is why I don't think all these electric motors and shit belong in cars like these.  Supercars should be lightweight.

Onslaught

But they aren't lightweight. Almost all Supercars are fat, wide pigs that make up for that with power. Electric motors or not.

hotrodalex

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on September 11, 2013, 10:11:24 AM
Here is my benchmark

The gas engines meet emissions now, but what about in the future? You have to start developing the tech now, or they really will be caught with their pants down. ;) Have you watched the Jay Leno's Garage video featuring the 918? It can shut off the engine and drive through a city on electric mode, thus getting around the emissions requirement to enter the city. Pretty neat.

Also, I don't see Ferrari or McLaren getting a sub-7 minute time in their gas-only cars.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 11, 2013, 10:58:23 AM
The gas engines meet emissions now, but what about in the future? You have to start developing the tech now, or they really will be caught with their pants down. ;) Have you watched the Jay Leno's Garage video featuring the 918? It can shut off the engine and drive through a city on electric mode, thus getting around the emissions requirement to enter the city. Pretty neat.
That's true, and I am not knocking them for using these cars as technological test beds (since the rules forbid them from doing so in racing)

Quote from: hotrodalex on September 11, 2013, 10:58:23 AMAlso, I don't see Ferrari or McLaren getting a sub-7 minute time in their gas-only cars.
Yea but they are both (F12 and MP4-12C) way down on their power/weight ratios and nowhere near as aerodynamically developed. I mean, the Radical SR8 dipped into the 6s with half the horsepower and none of this technology 8 years ago. Zonda R & 599XX did it too. If the goal is a sub 7 minute Ring time this is an expensive/roundabout way to do it.

Plus of course it's only good for 1 lap... this thing would get its ass handed to it by a lowly GT3 once the batteries run out. Also curious to know how many of the folks buying these could lap them under 7 minutes. Hell, 8 minutes.