Engine mods for a 2008 V6 Mustang?

Started by Raza , September 17, 2013, 11:00:04 AM

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: SVT666 on September 19, 2013, 11:13:20 AM
The new 5.0 has done little to hurt resale value of the previous gen car.  I really hope the new car is good enough and looks good enough that it DOES hurt the resale value of the current gen so that when I'm ready to buy they will be relatively affordable...but I doubt it.

To non enthusiasts, I imagine the resale value isn't an issue. Personally I'd wouldn't touch a 4.6 stang, waste of money IMO. I'm sure my intentions are different than the average person looking for a nice car with not intentions of performance applications.

Rupert

I'd have a hard time owning a previous generation GT knowing that the current generation V6 is about as powerful. And looks way better.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rupert on September 19, 2013, 12:18:21 PM
I'd have a hard time owning a previous generation GT knowing that the current generation V6 is about as powerful. And looks way better.

Yup, plus the chassis/suspension improvements would probably make the new v6 a challenge for a stock 4.6 car on a track.

SVT666

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 19, 2013, 12:14:03 PM
To non enthusiasts, I imagine the resale value isn't an issue. Personally I'd wouldn't touch a 4.6 stang, waste of money IMO. I'm sure my intentions are different than the average person looking for a nice car with not intentions of performance applications.
Oh absolutely.  The only 4.6 Stang I would ever consider would be the Shelby GT, but the asking price for those things are ridiculous.  I can get a 2011 5.0L for less.  I would get a 2011 5.0L with the Brembo Package in a heartbeat.

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on September 19, 2013, 10:42:19 AM
Get a newer V6 or a same year GT.  Period.  End of story.  Nothing more to see here.

That's where she's leaning now, actually. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on September 19, 2013, 12:27:10 PM
Oh absolutely.  The only 4.6 Stang I would ever consider would be the Shelby GT, but the asking price for those things are ridiculous.  I can get a 2011 5.0L for less.  I would get a 2011 5.0L with the Brembo Package in a heartbeat.

You know, I think I would do like MX and get a V6 track pack. The 5.0 is cool and of course it's a rad engine and hells of fast, but, man, it's just too much for the street.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rupert on September 19, 2013, 01:20:48 PM
You know, I think I would do like the wizard and get a V6 track pack. The 5.0 is cool and of course it's a rad engine and hells of fast, but, man, it's just too much for the street.

:facepalm:

Old people...... :rolleyes:

Rupert

Well sorry you feel the need to prove your dick size all the time, brah.

And I'm younger than you. ;)

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on September 19, 2013, 01:20:48 PM
You know, I think I would do like the wizard and get a V6 track pack. The 5.0 is cool and of course it's a rad engine and hells of fast, but, man, it's just too much for the street.
No it's not. 

Rupert

SVT666

Rupert

Yes it is.

Alright, I get that huge power is cool, and really fun when you get to use it. But I am of the school that says it's more fun to use all of the car's abilities more often, and curvier roads are better. Keeping in mind that I have driven a 5.0 for 300 miles on freeways, in towns, and on really excellent driving roads, I have some authority to say that in a 5.0, you almost never get a chance to really use all that's there. Sure, you can get on it while merging, but that's about 5 seconds each time. You can drag race at stop lights, but I don't have penis size issues ;) . When I was doing the kind of driving that I really like (curvy roads), I could only use, like, 1/3 throttle.

So when I say that the 5.0 has too much power for the street, that is what I mean.

FlatBlackCaddy

Raza

Quote from: SVT666 on September 19, 2013, 01:36:59 PM
No it's not.

Yeah, it really is.  Can't exploit the power without losing your license.  The V6 is perfect for the street.  And with the track pack, you've got that sharper handling bias.  If it weren't for the V8 stigma, I'd consider the V6 track pack the most desirable Mustang. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on September 19, 2013, 12:20:22 PM
Yup, plus the chassis/suspension improvements would probably make the new v6 a challenge for a stock 4.6 car on a track.

2011 V6 w/ Track Pack outlapped the 2010 GT w/ Track Pack in C&D's Lightning Lap (despite the V6's 112 mph governor) by 3/4 of a second, and absolutely blew the doors off of the '06 GT they previously ran (by roughly 8.5 seconds).  I've been pleased with mine ever since I ditched the stock tires for something a little stickier (though not as grippy as the Track Pack's tires).
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on September 19, 2013, 01:50:28 PM
Yes it is.

Alright, I get that huge power is cool, and really fun when you get to use it. But I am of the school that says it's more fun to use all of the car's abilities more often, and curvier roads are better. Keeping in mind that I have driven a 5.0 for 300 miles on freeways, in towns, and on really excellent driving roads, I have some authority to say that in a 5.0, you almost never get a chance to really use all that's there. Sure, you can get on it while merging, but that's about 5 seconds each time. You can drag race at stop lights, but I don't have penis size issues ;) . When I was doing the kind of driving that I really like (curvy roads), I could only use, like, 1/3 throttle.

So when I say that the 5.0 has too much power for the street, that is what I mean.
Oh the old "penis size" comments.  Some people just "like it".  I want a car that I can push in corners AND in a straight line.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on September 19, 2013, 01:51:07 PM
Yeah, it really is.  Can't exploit the power without losing your license.  The V6 is perfect for the street.  And with the track pack, you've got that sharper handling bias.  If it weren't for the V8 stigma, I'd consider the V6 track pack the most desirable Mustang. 

I think the issue is the difference between ENOUGH and TOO MUCH.

I've never encountered too much, granted I haven't driven anything extremely crazy. However the vast majority of sport/driver oriented cars have ENOUGH.

I think it's inaccurate to say it has too much for the street. Since that would be debatable from person to person. This isn't some 900hp track car, it's a 3500lb(ish) 400hp car.

SVT666

Quote from: Raza  on September 19, 2013, 01:51:07 PM
No it's not.  I agree that the GT500 has too much power for the street, but the GT is about perfect. 

MX793

Quote from: Rupert on September 19, 2013, 01:50:28 PM
Yes it is.

Yeah, I've been thinking lately that, for autox, the V8 would be a real handful.  The V6 has enough that you need to be mindful of throttle control, but not so much that you have to tip-toe on off camber sweepers or greasy asphalt.  It's really a pretty balanced car.  If they offer a V6 Track Pack again with the next generation, that's probably what my next car will be.  I may even get another non-Track Pack V6 if the suspension tuning and gearing is comparable to my car or better.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Rupert

Quote from: SVT666 on September 19, 2013, 01:58:46 PM
No it's not.  I agree that the GT500 has too much power for the street, but the GT is about perfect. 

This is obviously a matter of preference, but there is some objective truth to be found. Namely that you'll never be able to routinely really find the limit of the car on the street and be safe and legal enough to keep your license.

MX793

Quote from: Rupert on September 19, 2013, 01:54:18 PM
I thought you had the track pack...

Nope, it wasn't available yet when I bought mine.  And with decent tires, the car does pretty well even without.  It's a bit soft in the pitch axis, but body roll isn't bad and it doesn't make you cringe when you hit any of the very large and numerous frost heaves that litter the roads around here.  Since it spends more time on the street than the track, I really don't regret not getting the track pack.  Especially since the track pack tires cost something like $450 a piece to replace.
Needs more Jiggawatts

SVT666

Quote from: Rupert on September 19, 2013, 02:05:20 PM
This is obviously a matter of preference, but there is some objective truth to be found. Namely that you'll never be able to routinely really find the limit of the car on the street and be safe and legal enough to keep your license.
I think the GT hits than "more than enough" button just perfectly.  It's more than enough but not too much.  The GT500 has too much.  I think if you need electronic nannies to keep your car from careening into a tree, then you have too much.

Rupert

In 300 800 (I checked) enthusiastic miles, I can count on one hand the number of times I used more than 1/2 throttle. To me, more than enough means replacing the "1/2" in the previous sentence with "full".

SVT32V

While I am not a fan of the 3V 4.6, it would not cost much to mod the suspension/brakes to be better than 2011 V6 with a track pack.

Not sure you would/could find the limits of the 2011 v6 with track pack and still be on the good side of the law. Certainly not in corner-carving and with mid to low 5 sec 0-60 and, that is more than fast enough to get yourself in trouble.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Rupert on September 19, 2013, 02:38:38 PM
In 300 800 (I checked) enthusiastic miles, I can count on one hand the number of times I used more than 1/2 throttle. To me, more than enough means replacing the "1/2" in the previous sentence with "full".

To which vehicle are you referring too, or is this in general.

Raza

Quote from: MX793 on September 19, 2013, 01:51:56 PM
2011 V6 w/ Track Pack outlapped the 2010 GT w/ Track Pack in C&D's Lightning Lap (despite the V6's 112 mph governor) by 3/4 of a second, and absolutely blew the doors off of the '06 GT they previously ran (by roughly 8.5 seconds).  I've been pleased with mine ever since I ditched the stock tires for something a little stickier (though not as grippy as the Track Pack's tires).

112mph governor!?  Really!?  Is that easy to remove?

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on September 19, 2013, 03:04:04 PM
112mph governor!?  Really!?  Is that easy to remove?

Probably a software flash, or even just a single parameter change without a flash.

I'd hope it would be, 112MPH is a pretty pathetic governor. I could understand it on a normal v6, but on a track pack(with i'm sure 180MHP+ tires) it just seems like a way to piss a few people off. Or maybe give the 4.6 guys alittle breathing room on longer straits. :lol:

SVT32V

It is a ridiculous speed cutoff, but lesser V6s have crappy S-rated tires, so all V6s are saddled with it.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: SVT32V on September 19, 2013, 03:09:20 PM
It is a ridiculous speed cutoff, but lesser V6s have crappy S-rated tires, so all V6s are saddled with it.

Still, ford knows better. When you sell a car(that can perform) and even offer a track oriented performance package. Then take off the damn limiter for said package. Unless they thought not ONE person would actually track a track pack equipped v6 mustang. Just seems lazy and a bit of a slap in the face to an enthusiast.