MY15 Chevrolet & GMC HD Pickup Trucks Pics Released

Started by Atomic, September 26, 2013, 04:05:13 PM

280Z Turbo

Quote from: 93JC on October 03, 2013, 01:49:44 PM
Of course not, because they're designed to do one thing: go fast.

Whereas a pickup truck, to satisfy the sensibilities of the modern consumer, needs to be as fuel efficient and quiet as possible. And "looking like a warehouse" helps to accomplish that.

Looking like a warehouse sells trucks. If it was about aerodynamics, trucks would look more like minivans with beds.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 03, 2013, 08:03:32 PM
Looking like a warehouse sells trucks. If it was about aerodynamics, trucks would look more like minivans with beds.

Ford tried for years to make a truck that looked like this:

Nobody wanted it.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 03, 2013, 08:03:32 PM

Exactly my point.  If aerodynamics were such a concern with these trucks, they wouldn't look the way they look in the first place. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on October 03, 2013, 08:09:13 AM
I don't understand the appeal of these to people who don't use their truck capabilities.

They are the types who believe you're not a real man if you don't drive a huge pickup truck, work in a steel mill, scream like an idiot at your TV whenever football is on and guzzle cheap domestic beer by the gallon.

In other words:  :rolleyes:

And I don't count people who actually use trucks as trucks in this category, nor do I count people who own reasonably-sized pickups in this category (though, admittedly, they're getting harder to find).

SVT666

Come on Dan.  A lot of people just like to sit really high.  A lot of people just like the look of trucks, and some people (like my brother-in-law) are far more comfortable in a big truck because he's 6'-6" and 300 lbs.

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on October 07, 2013, 07:54:54 AM
Exactly my point.  If aerodynamics were such a concern with these trucks, they wouldn't look the way they look in the first place. 

You don't understand how aerodynamics work.  The size and functionality requirements of the truck dictate the size, but it can still be relatively slippery for it's given size.  Things like that air dam at the bottom help tremendously.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

S204STi

Quote from: MrH on October 07, 2013, 09:10:31 PM
You don't understand how aerodynamics work.  The size and functionality requirements of the truck dictate the size, but it can still be relatively slippery for it's given size.  Things like that air dam at the bottom help tremendously.

It's like people are saying that since a truck is huge you might as well just throw in the towel on any sort of aerodynamic aids and just have a brick wall rolling down the road...

Raza

Quote from: MrH on October 07, 2013, 09:10:31 PM

Um, I know I didn't go to car interior decorator school like you did, but I have an idea of how aerodynamics work.  The basic idea here is that more air resistance is bad, right?  So yes, the size is dictated by "need" (I'll leave that alone for now), but the shape is not dictated by size.  Like Sean said, there are different shapes that can be used to make them more aerodynamic, were they not going for a specific look, which is the warehouse look. 

It's not about size.  Look at even 18 wheelers; they've become more and more aerodynamic (as I recall, thanks to some pushing done by Walmart), because that costs money.  And those are vehicles only used for work.  Styling is not important, they need to do their jobs.  Simple as that.  If aerodynamics were a main concern, then these trucks wouldn't look like this, period. 

So here's an aerodynamic tweak that can actually hamper the intended performance of the car by decreasing ground clearance at the front, and you're defending it like it's your mom's cooking.  You have to stop being so concerned with being right all the time because you worked in the industry for six months.  I mean, seriously, you're so unnecessarily combative these days, it's like you're on your period all the time.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: S204STi on October 08, 2013, 07:45:16 AM
It's like people are saying that since a truck is huge you might as well just throw in the towel on any sort of aerodynamic aids and just have a brick wall rolling down the road...

You and Mike are getting it seriously twisted. 

Basically, what we're saying is that you're eating broccoli for dessert, so you're adding sugar to make it a little sweeter.  The question really is "Why are you eating broccoli for dessert in the first place?"

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on October 08, 2013, 09:28:57 AM
Um, I know I didn't go to car interior decorator school like you did, but I have an idea of how aerodynamics work.  The basic idea here is that more air resistance is bad, right?  So yes, the size is dictated by "need" (I'll leave that alone for now), but the shape is not dictated by size.  Like Sean said, there are different shapes that can be used to make them more aerodynamic, were they not going for a specific look, which is the warehouse look. 

It's not about size.  Look at even 18 wheelers; they've become more and more aerodynamic (as I recall, thanks to some pushing done by Walmart), because that costs money.  And those are vehicles only used for work.  Styling is not important, they need to do their jobs.  Simple as that.  If aerodynamics were a main concern, then these trucks wouldn't look like this, period. 

So here's an aerodynamic tweak that can actually hamper the intended performance of the car by decreasing ground clearance at the front, and you're defending it like it's your mom's cooking.  You have to stop being so concerned with being right all the time because you worked in the industry for six months.  I mean, seriously, you're so unnecessarily combative these days, it's like you're on your period all the time.

No, I didn't go to school for car interiors either. But you didn't take courses in fluid mechanics or computational fluid dynamics.  I'm not being unnecessarily combative, just trying to help the discussion along.

Big, boxy shapes can be "slippery" than you think.  There are a ton of little tricks done to accomplish this.  Adding an extension to the front dam is one of them. 

It's funny you bring up the big rig market.  You'd think, since it's all about transporting things, cost would be the number one concern and buyers would flock to the most aerodynamic truck.  That's almost completely untrue.  A large portion of semi-truck buyers are owner/operators (ie, the driver buys the truck than works on delivery contracts for employers).  And they largely buy unaerodynamic trucks because they like the way they look.  We're talking about a 10% savings in fuel, and that's still not enough to sway a large portion of the owner/operators.

The trucks with the great aerodynamics are largely bought by companies who then hire people to drive them.  They're concerned about cost only, not style.  Basically, in an industry you think would be super competitive at driving down fuel costs, styling still reigns supreme with individual buyers.

You think they're decreasing ground clearance, but I doubt it hangs much, if at all, lower than many other components anyways.  The front air dam sure as hell isn't what's limiting suspension travel either.  They're not reducing the functionality at all.

Quote from: Raza  on October 08, 2013, 09:30:25 AM
You and Mike are getting it seriously twisted. 

Basically, what we're saying is that you're eating broccoli for dessert, so you're adding sugar to make it a little sweeter.  The question really is "Why are you eating broccoli for dessert in the first place?"

No, you got this broccoli analogy all wrong.  It's like saying you hate broccoli, but if you put a little salt on it, you can eat it.  You're reacting by saying, "well fuck it, you might as well eat ice cream for dinner then."

2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MrH on October 08, 2013, 12:11:36 PM
No, I didn't go to school for car interiors either. But you didn't take courses in fluid mechanics or computational fluid dynamics.  I'm not being unnecessarily combative, just trying to help the discussion along.

Big, boxy shapes can be "slippery" than you think.  There are a ton of little tricks done to accomplish this.  Adding an extension to the front dam is one of them. 

It's funny you bring up the big rig market.  You'd think, since it's all about transporting things, cost would be the number one concern and buyers would flock to the most aerodynamic truck.  That's almost completely untrue.  A large portion of semi-truck buyers are owner/operators (ie, the driver buys the truck than works on delivery contracts for employers).  And they largely buy unaerodynamic trucks because they like the way they look.  We're talking about a 10% savings in fuel, and that's still not enough to sway a large portion of the owner/operators.

The trucks with the great aerodynamics are largely bought by companies who then hire people to drive them.  They're concerned about cost only, not style.  Basically, in an industry you think would be super competitive at driving down fuel costs, styling still reigns supreme with individual buyers.

You think they're decreasing ground clearance, but I doubt it hangs much, if at all, lower than many other components anyways.  The front air dam sure as hell isn't what's limiting suspension travel either.  They're not reducing the functionality at all.

No, you got this broccoli analogy all wrong.  It's like saying you hate broccoli, but if you put a little salt on it, you can eat it.  You're reacting by saying, "well fuck it, you might as well eat ice cream for dinner then."

Yes, but a lot of owner/operators are idiots. Guys that buy Pete 359s with the big motor and then turn up the injectors to haul cabbage and cheesy poofs then complain how the fuel prices are killing them...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

MrH

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 08, 2013, 12:51:34 PM
Yes, but a lot of owner/operators are idiots. Guys that buy Pete 359s with the big motor and then turn up the injectors to haul cabbage and cheesy poofs then complain how the fuel prices are killing them...

:lol:  I won't deny that.  But even in a market where you'd think aerodynamics at any cost would reign supreme, idiots still buy based on styling.  There's no reason the truck either has to be shaped like a rain drop or a box with a parachute off the back.  It's all about compromises.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

93JC

Quote from: Raza  on October 08, 2013, 09:28:57 AM

The point I, and I think Mike too, was trying to make is that you presume the traditional shape of a pickup truck is aerodynamically poor. It's not, or at least it's not as bad as it seems you think it is. The bed is the biggest problem, and there's really no way of getting around it without taking away the pickup truck functionality. A Tahoe is much more aerodynamic than a Silverado.

The idea that Sean tossed out, to make a pickup more efficient a better idea would be to make the cab look more like a minivan, wouldn't necessarily be a better idea because that's not really making the most 'unaerodynamic' part of the truck better.

This:

is atrocious, aerodynamically-speaking.

You probably won't believe it but this:

has a lower coefficient of drag (0.369) than this:

(0.41, although it can be lowered to 0.36 if the suspension is set up for a max-speed run)

Raza

I believe that.  The Veyron does 250mph, it needs downforce to not take off. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

2o6

Quote from: Raza  on October 08, 2013, 03:26:44 PM
I believe that.  The Veyron does 250mph, it needs downforce to not take off.

Quit while you're ahead.

I said this about three pages back, boxy does not equal un aerodynamic.

280Z Turbo

What about the frontal area of a Veyron vs a Tahoe?

Secret Chimp

Quote from: BENZ BOY15 on January 02, 2014, 02:40:13 PM
That's a great local brewery that we have. Do I drink their beer? No.

Secret Chimp

All stupid blithering aside, these are the ugliest front ends I've ever seen. And GM has now surpassed mid 90s HD Rams with their wheel gap.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Secret Chimp on October 10, 2013, 06:54:53 PM
All stupid blithering aside, these are the ugliest front ends I've ever seen. And GM has now surpassed mid 90s HD Rams with their wheel gap.

Wheel gap, on trucks, is a good thing.

Secret Chimp

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 10, 2013, 08:11:41 PM
Wheel gap, on trucks, is a good thing.

If the wheel still has 12" of gap after the suspension hits the bump stops, what's the point?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on October 10, 2013, 09:03:18 PM
If the wheel still has 12" of gap after the suspension hits the bump stops, what's the point?

Does it though?

MX793

Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

S204STi

I had the chance to put a few miles in the new Sierra today. Very nice, and. a significant upgrade over the previous gen. 5.3 doesn't feel too down on power compared to the 6.0, and cylinder deactivation is seemless, and it drives better than some buicks.

hounddog

Quote from: MX793 on October 11, 2013, 06:04:12 AM
Yes
Not usually. 

The gap is about both style and payload, actually. 

Or so they say.  :lol:
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.