Driver runs over bikers at rally, proceeds to get chased down and beaten.

Started by S204STi, September 30, 2013, 01:30:53 PM

Raza

Quote from: NomisR on October 03, 2013, 01:06:10 PM
Well, that's the advice that was given saying the driver made the wrong move by not doing so which put himself and his family in danger...

They said move over and call the police.  It's the safe move, generally. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Raza  on October 03, 2013, 01:25:56 PM

How do you pull over when you're surrounded?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 03, 2013, 01:29:20 PM

Run over the biker next to you?  [/quote]

Well, someone at work said the guy should've waited and let the gang of 300 bikers through before pulling into the highway....  yeah good idea...

Rupert

Who says they just surround everyone and expect them to, like, osmosify through them to the shoulder? I bet if the RR had done what they wanted it to do, this wouldn't have happened. Which is not to say that what they wanted it to do was at all reasonable.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 03, 2013, 01:29:20 PM

I suppose "Call the police and then attempt to move over" would be better advice.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on October 03, 2013, 01:32:53 PM
Who says they just surround everyone and expect them to, like, osmosify through them to the shoulder? I bet if the RR had done what they wanted it to do, this wouldn't have happened. Which is not to say that what they wanted it to do was at all reasonable.

Ok. So a group of unknown people surround you and direct you to get off the freeway. What do you assume is going to happen next?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

S204STi

Quote from: Raza  on October 03, 2013, 01:25:56 PM

It's the same advice given in any road rage situation, really.  This is just mildly different.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: S204STi on October 03, 2013, 01:56:03 PM
It's the same advice given in any road rage situation, really.  This is just mildly different.

I hear road rage, I think of two overweight bald guys getting into an argument about which one forgot to signal. This isn't that, it's more of an attempted road takeover.

S204STi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 03, 2013, 02:00:10 PM

I hear road rage, I think of two overweight bald guys getting into an argument about which one forgot to signal. This isn't that, it's more of an attempted road takeover.

Sure, I'm just saying... he didn't deserve his shit getting fucked up, but there was a way to avoid the whole thing.  That's all I'm insinuating.

Raza

Quote from: S204STi on October 03, 2013, 02:12:29 PM
Sure, I'm just saying... he didn't deserve his shit getting fucked up, but there was a way to avoid the whole thing.  That's all I'm insinuating.

Our founding fathers could have avoided war by just laying down for the British, but they didn't.  :erjerbs:

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Byteme

Quote from: veeman on October 03, 2013, 01:03:22 PM

some (many) people buy a merc not to get respect from strangers but to get respect from their peers be it their other extended family, neighbors, or coworkers.  you buy something expensive, people you know see it and comment on its attractiveness, and it makes you feel good about yourself.  that's human nature.  nothing wrong with that.

Frankly it's a bit pathetic that someone would need that kind of praise to make them feel good about themselves.  And how would your perception of someone you already know change just becasue they bought a "luxury" car.  (I put luxury in quotes because I firmly believe that if you are driving it yourself it isn't luxury, it's just a nice car.)

Quote from: veeman on October 03, 2013, 01:03:22 PM

that's the whole economy of high end fashion, which luxury cars are largely about.  someone buying a high end mercedes strictly based upon its driving or comfort or style or safety characteristics and not at least in small or large part because "it's a mercedes" would be a rare occurrence.  that is why lexus, acura, and infiniti were created.  too differentiate from the more plebian toyota, honda, and nissan.

I guess I'm the rare occurance then.  I absolutely despise buying or wearing anything thought of as 'designer'.   If anybody expects me to wear something with a designer logo on it they better be prepared to pay me for helping them advertise their product.

Rupert

You should have seen people's reactions when I told them I bought a Porsche before I told them how old and cheap it was. I suddenly changed into some kind of ego-lawyer-monster in their eyes for a moment. Hilarious.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Rupert

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 03, 2013, 01:51:39 PM
Ok. So a group of unknown people surround you and direct you to get off the freeway. What do you assume is going to happen next?

Given that everyone else was moving over and then the bikers went harmlessly past them, that. If it were a rural road with no one else on it, fuck no, I'd haul ass and call the cops.

I don't think it's wrong for the RR to have not pulled to the side and let the bikers do whatever they wanted with the road, but that's not the safest option.

Byteme

Quote from: Rupert on October 03, 2013, 03:11:23 PM
Given that everyone else was moving over and then the bikers went harmlessly past them, that. If it were a rural road with no one else on it, fuck no, I'd haul ass and call the cops.

I don't think it's wrong for the RR to have not pulled to the side and let the bikers do whatever they wanted with the road, but that's not the safest option.

Maybe a bumper sticker would help.   Something like: "My other weapon is a Glock".

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on October 03, 2013, 03:11:23 PM

Getting on a freeway, do you have time to assess what everybody else is doing and how it's turning out for them? I don't see any cops around, not for many mile apparently; and last I checked, crime does happen in NYC.

Rupert

Yes, you do.

What the fuck are these assholes doing-- oh, everyone is moving to the side.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on October 03, 2013, 03:34:34 PM
Yes, you do.

Yes when you have no idea what's going on, it's always safe to just go with the crowd.

Rupert

Come on. Once you see that people are moving to the side, it's pretty easy to also see that they're not being assaulted or robbed or whatever. It's not like once you've moved over you wouldn't be able to leave the side of the road.

It's like how you don't fault someone for fighting a mugger, even if the safest option is usually to just give them your wallet.

Rupert

This isn't like an instant thing, Soup. You have a minute or so to figure out what-the-fuck and decide what to do.

NomisR

Yes, you do.

You can't assume that.  They may have done so earlier but maybe where he was at, he didn't get to see them.  Anything could've happened. 

RR driver isn't in the wrong for not moving, but clearly the bikers are doing something illegal if they were blockading the road and preventing other people from getting on the highway.  200 complaints about their activities isn't insignificant.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on October 03, 2013, 04:19:45 PM
This isn't like an instant thing, Soup. You have a minute or so to figure out what-the-fuck and decide what to do.

It takes you a minute or so to get on the freeway?

Rupert

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on October 03, 2013, 10:29:50 PM
\_

This is the angle you are being. Stop it.

No.

I see a bunch of punks forcing people off the road, I'm not going to assume they're harmless. I'm going to try to get out of that situation pronto.

Plus, I'm not going to blame some dude for not immediately recognizing an odd situation like that.

Byteme

Yes, you do.

Some entrance ramps, especially on older urban freeways, are pretty damn short. Once you are on them there are few options other than accelerate and merge and hope for the best.

Tave

His wife called the police during the initial confrontation. While on the phone, the bikers were beating the sides of his car with their helmets, slashing his tires (which is why his escape failed), and attempting to pry open his doors.

Dude had a small child in the car, I would have run over as many of those fuckers as possible and not thought twice.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

CALL_911

Quote from: Tave on October 04, 2013, 06:45:52 AM
His wife called the police during the initial confrontation. While on the phone, the bikers were beating the sides of his car with their helmets, slashing his tires (which is why his escape failed), and attempting to pry open his doors.

Dude had a small child in the car, I would have run over as many of those fuckers as possible and not thought twice.

+1

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: CALL_911 on October 05, 2013, 02:15:32 PM
+1

Nothing could be further from the truth.

What a horrible thing, and to think I come here and see most people defending this psychotic maniac.

This was just a bunch of bikers out for a casual sunday ride, on their way to an orphanage to help brighten the day of needy children. After a brief layover at a hospital where they bathed and fed premature babies. These guys hopped on their bikes and decided to get some fresh air on their way to the orphanage.

As they drove down the freeway they where confronted by satan himself, dispensing death and chaos is his sole means of existence. With his demon bride and demonic spawn in tow. They terrorized and maimed the righteous disciples of love and compassion. Laughing manically as bones crunched and souls screamed. His demonic witch gyrating in pleasure as the darkness drapes over the land. Crunching and screaming as gasoline pumped into his mechanical death chariot.

Just when it seemed the chaos couldn't possible be worse, he hurls his satanic spawn at the leader of gods faithful riders. Attempting to block the demon with his bible, to no avail. The tiny arms slashing and scrapping at the mans eyes and face. Finally, with one fatal blow the jugular is severed, and the noble rider falls to the asphalt.

This played out for mere minutes, yet would mark these poor souls for the rest of their lives.

What a tragedy.

Raza

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 05, 2013, 07:50:45 PM
Nothing could be further from the truth.

What a horrible thing, and to think I come here and see most people defending this psychotic maniac.

This was just a bunch of bikers out for a casual sunday ride, on their way to an orphanage to help brighten the day of needy children. After a brief layover at a hospital where they bathed and fed premature babies. These guys hopped on their bikes and decided to get some fresh air on their way to the orphanage.

As they drove down the freeway they where confronted by satan himself, dispensing death and chaos is his sole means of existence. With his demon bride and demonic spawn in tow. They terrorized and maimed the righteous disciples of love and compassion. Laughing manically as bones crunched and souls screamed. His demonic witch gyrating in pleasure as the darkness drapes over the land. Crunching and screaming as gasoline pumped into his mechanical death chariot.

Just when it seemed the chaos couldn't possible be worse, he hurls his satanic spawn at the leader of gods faithful riders. Attempting to block the demon with his bible, to no avail. The tiny arms slashing and scrapping at the mans eyes and face. Finally, with one fatal blow the jugular is severed, and the noble rider falls to the asphalt.

This played out for mere minutes, yet would mark these poor souls for the rest of their lives.

What a tragedy.

I know now that my drugs aren't as good as yours. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

TurboDan

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Raza  on October 05, 2013, 11:06:50 PM
I know now that my drugs aren't as good as yours. 

I make my own, it's all right here in this pamphlet.