Driver runs over bikers at rally, proceeds to get chased down and beaten.

Started by S204STi, September 30, 2013, 01:30:53 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 01, 2013, 03:07:31 PM
I highly doubt that possibility. Why would someone want to piss off a motorcycle gang? And with their family in the car?

Hey, it could have happened. Most likely though, the RR driver may have cut one of them off by mistake (the way these idiots are swarming traffic on both sides might make it hard not to). Maybe he looked at one of them funny.

Regardless, None of that justifies the following actions at all. Period.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

TurboDan

Quote from: NomisR on October 01, 2013, 03:49:29 PM
But with a biker group that big, the RR driver would've had to hold up traffic for at least a min before he can get on the highway, if he's lucky.  And from what I've seen with biker groups that's less than 1/3 the size of this one, they create a lot of disruption to traffic since they take up significantly more space than 4 big rigs basically creating a huge rolling blockade. 

I would say based on everything else posted here, that it's entirely the biker's fault until otherwise proven. 

Yeah, I think what has been insinuated is that the bikers basically didn't like that this driver didn't stop in his tracks to let them all pass instead of merging on ahead of them. Apparently there were a lot of reports of this group refusing to let cars on the road at the entrances, or off the roads at the exits. Sounds like a rolling shit show. Why the NYPD didn't have stepped up patrols is anyone's guess.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2013, 03:40:02 PMAnd people wouldn't be so quit to blame the bikers if as a group bikers didn't have a history of incidents or near-incidents like this. 

And my point is people in cars do the same thing!
Pickup driver tries to kill motorcyclist.

This one cuts the guy off and after he gives a kick she runs him down! Is deadly force justified here?
Woman driver tries to kill biker

This one is totally unprovoked!! I've seen shit like this more than once!
Extreme road rage - Car tries to take out bikers!

So in the end it's not always the bikers that are being assholes! And thats the point I'm trynna make! We deal with all of the above AND the regular Moe thats talking, texting  or eating while driving!
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

12,000 RPM

Nobody said the bikers are always being assholes. But in this case, it's pretty clear they were.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 01, 2013, 05:54:11 PM
Nobody said the bikers are always being assholes. But in this case, it's pretty clear they were.
Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2013, 03:40:02 PM
And people wouldn't be so quit to blame the bikers if as a group bikers didn't have a history of incidents or near-incidents like this. 
And I've said 50 times that they were wrong in this instance....

veeman

The range rover driver is very lucky he made it out alive.   If it were a real motorcycle gang like hells angels he'd be dead or soon be dead because the media shamefully outed his name.

Raza

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on October 01, 2013, 05:45:47 PM
And my point is people in cars do the same thing!
Pickup driver tries to kill motorcyclist.

This one cuts the guy off and after he gives a kick she runs him down! Is deadly force justified here?
Woman driver tries to kill biker

This one is totally unprovoked!! I've seen shit like this more than once!
Extreme road rage - Car tries to take out bikers!

So in the end it's not always the bikers that are being assholes! And thats the point I'm trynna make! We deal with all of the above AND the regular Moe thats talking, texting  or eating while driving!

For one, many, many, many more people drive a car than ride a motorcycle; as a percentage, the number of drivers aggressive towards bikers is going to be very low compared to riders acting like jackasses.  And I've had people try to sideswipe my car or take me out on more than one occasion, even for something as small as gesturing that I had no place to go when someone wanted to pass me (and then eventually moving over when I had the chance).  But, I also see thousands of motorists daily.  So three or four incidences in the thousands upon thousands of motorists that I've seen is an incredibly small percentage.

And yet, I'd say it's more like half--if not more--of the bikers that I see who ride like jackasses.  Lane-splitting sport bikes, weaving in and out, flying at 30-40mph faster than traffic could turn any driver into a killer if they try to change lanes while the small and hard to see bike is in their blindspot, trying to stand on their bikes while riding on the highway, popping wheelies at 80mph, et al.  Annoying and obnoxious Harley riders revving their engines high for no reason or riding on the shoulder during traffic jams, kicking up gravel at the cars in the right law. 

Based on purely anecdotal evidence, I'd say that bikers are a menace.  I don't though.  I don't automatically assume that a biker is at fault in any altercation.  In this specific case, though, I think it's pretty BLATANTLY obvious what was going on here.  You have to look no further than a mass ride without a permit to see that these riders didn't care at all about what their presence would do to traffic and that they felt entitled to own the road.  Add to that the strength in numbers and relative anonymity of their Power Rangers costumes, you have a large group of bad apples just waiting to spoil someone's day. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on October 01, 2013, 06:49:54 PM
And I've said 50 times that they were wrong in this instance....

Whoa, whoa.  I think you're taking devil's advocate way out of context here and the chip on your shoulder is showing, as it has been since you started defending the bikers. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  on October 01, 2013, 09:29:36 PM
Whoa, whoa.  I think you're taking devil's advocate way out of context here and the chip on your shoulder is showing, as it has been since you started defending the bikers. 
From my first post I said I wanted to know what happened AND that the bikers handled it wrong! How many times must I say this?!?! And you other 3 paragraph post shows how you really feel about bikers on a whole and I'd be wasting my time going any further with you! All Bikers are not stunting lane splitting idiots just like all motorist aren't texting, drunk and doing doughnuts in front of the 7 Eleven..........

TurboDan

I would say about half of the bikers I encounter are doing something illegal, reckless or generally threatening to other drivers. I don't have much sympathy for them. They're in the same class as guys who drive monster trucks on public roads and intimidate other drivers.

Rupert

I can't speak for where y'all live, but it's nowhere near half where I live, and most of the problems are Harleyfags riding slow and being loud maroons. Sport bike riders might be doing stupid things, but all in all, they aren't threatening the safety of drivers. Other riders tend to be fine.

You guys are being awfully hyperbolic.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

That said, fuck groups of motorcycles even a fifth that size and ten times as polite. Actually, fuck any large group of stick-together road users, from bicycles to motorcycles to 80 year old cars.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Raza

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on October 01, 2013, 09:47:35 PM
From my first post I said I wanted to know what happened AND that the bikers handled it wrong! How many times must I say this?!?! And you other 3 paragraph post shows how you really feel about bikers on a whole and I'd be wasting my time going any further with you! All Bikers are not stunting lane splitting idiots just like all motorist aren't texting, drunk and doing doughnuts in front of the 7 Eleven..........

I never said all.  I said about half of the ones I see.  I have no animosity towards bikers and give them plenty of room when sharing the road with them--sure, it's mostly because I never know when they're about to do something supremely stupid, but it's not like I hold them in the same low regard as I do cyclists. 

My response that you dismiss so handily was metered and reasonable.  I don't know why you think I'm coming across as a frothing at the mouth anti-motorcycle madman. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Byteme

Quote from: TurboDan on October 01, 2013, 11:57:48 PM
I would say about half of the bikers I encounter are doing something illegal, reckless or generally threatening to other drivers. I don't have much sympathy for them. They're in the same class as guys who drive monster trucks on public roads and intimidate other drivers.

I've been told, and from my observation it seems to be true, that I-40 through Arkansas is a major bike corridor; lots of activity either as individuals  or groups. A few observations.

When I see a single guy or couple on one Harley type of bike they are almost always following the rules of the road.  When they are in a group they tend to clog the road and ignore the rights of other motorists.  They will ride two abreast in one lane and/or take all available lanes.  They will pass each other at will and casually pull out in front of other drivers if they are present.  It's almost like being in a group us causes them to want to act like jerks.  Peer pressure?  Safety in numbers? A need to impress their buddies on how bad ass they are?

Guys (it's never girls) on crotch rockets, on the other hand, seem to ride like jerks whether they are alone or in a group.  Not all, but a much higher percentage.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they slapped severe noise restrictions on motorcycles and rigidly inforced them.  That might save the hearing of many 45 year old accountants out for a bad assed weekend on their mid-life crisis machine.

Soup DeVille

Byteme

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 02, 2013, 07:49:09 AM
Two abreast was completely legal last I checked.

I didn't say it's illegal.  And it's not legal everywhere.  Many souces say it's more dangerous than not riding abreast; the argument being if one bike has to swerve to avoid something on the road there is an increased chance of a collision.  How valid is that concern?  Not my call.

giant_mtb

Man, there're people who don't wear helmets when they ride. They probably aren't too worried about riding side by side either.

S204STi

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 02, 2013, 08:03:41 AM

I didn't say it's illegal.  And it's not legal everywhere.  Many souces say it's more dangerous than not riding abreast; the argument being if one bike has to swerve to avoid something on the road there is an increased chance of a collision.  How valid is that concern?  Not my call.

I would never ride abreast.  Always staggered in the lane, with a car's length or so between us.

NomisR

Quote from: Rupert on October 02, 2013, 01:31:39 AM
I can't speak for where y'all live, but it's nowhere near half where I live, and most of the problems are Harleyfags riding slow and being loud maroons. Sport bike riders might be doing stupid things, but all in all, they aren't threatening the safety of drivers. Other riders tend to be fine.

You guys are being awfully hyperbolic.

Yeah, I can say majority of the commuter riders that I've encountered are pretty polite and courteous.  And they typically understand and appreciate when you made a move to let them pass.  Especially since lane splitting is allowed and encouraged in California since it's much worse if you rear end a motorcycle.

And also, majority of the courteous motorcycle riders are in sports bikes.  The asshole riders are typically the ones in Harleys who rides like the own the road and the weekend riders of all kinds that seems to do the same. 

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on October 02, 2013, 09:16:57 AM
Yeah, I can say majority of the commuter riders that I've encountered are pretty polite and courteous.  And they typically understand and appreciate when you made a move to let them pass.  Especially since lane splitting is allowed and encouraged in California since it's much worse if you rear end a motorcycle.

And also, majority of the courteous motorcycle riders are in sports bikes.  The asshole riders are typically the ones in Harleys who rides like the own the road and the weekend riders of all kinds that seems to do the same. 

Actually, ive never, ever seen one of those guys on a Eiropean style touring bike do anything assholish. You know, the guys with the hard high mount saddlebags and the high vis vests?

All other types, well there are good and bad riders on all styles.

shp4man

Page three until the Harley hating? Impressive! Were there any Harleys in that group in the video? On a related note, last night as I was riding home from work, I lane splitted up to a stoplight and there was a blinged out Road King (big Harley) in the fast lane waiting for the light to change. I mean, this dude had $10K in just paint and chrome, with those high ape hanger bars that are totally over the top. So I look over at the dude and nod (super cool HD bro type greeting  :rolleyes:) but no response, so I figure fuck it.
So then the fucking guy starts revving!- and I'm thinking my little Sporty can take that 1000 pound sled easy. The light turns green and I had the dude before the Sporty was in 4th gear! Ha! Not bad for a girl's bike, eh?  :lol:

Rupert

Yeah bro, that incident really proves your pro-Harley point, doesn't it?

Riding around town, I don't see many stupid biker acts that actually affect me. It's out on the two-lane highways, and it's almost always Harleys. Not all Harleys are in my way, but almost all bikes that are in my way are Harleys.

shp4man

Quote from: Rupert on October 02, 2013, 11:23:11 AM
Yeah bro, that incident really proves your pro-Harley point, doesn't it?

Riding around town, I don't see many stupid biker acts that actually affect me. It's out on the two-lane highways, and it's almost always Harleys. Not all Harleys are in my way, but almost all bikes that are in my way are Harleys.

We're old and slow. Get off my lawn!  :facepalm:

Seriously, so in Idaho, the Harley riders do under the speed limit? Are you doing the speed limit, or thereabouts?

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 02, 2013, 07:46:58 AM

It wouldn't hurt my feelings if they slapped severe noise restrictions on motorcycles and rigidly inforced them.  That might save the hearing of many 45 year old accountants out for a bad assed weekend on their mid-life crisis machine.
California has passed a noise law. IDK how it effects the Harley guys but Sport Bike Exhaust manufacturers have already started producing exhaust that are noise compliant!

Quote from: S204STi on October 02, 2013, 08:36:13 AM
I would never ride abreast.  Always staggered in the lane, with a car's length or so between us.
This is how we ride also........

Quote from: Raza  on October 02, 2013, 07:11:24 AM
I never said all.  I said about half of the ones I see.  I have no animosity towards bikers and give them plenty of room when sharing the road with them--sure, it's mostly because I never know when they're about to do something supremely stupid, but it's not like I hold them in the same low regard as I do cyclists. 

My response that you dismiss so handily was metered and reasonable.  I don't know why you think I'm coming across as a frothing at the mouth anti-motorcycle madman. 
Well we just have differant views. I've seen just as many idiots on 4 wheels as I have seen on 2 so I call it for what it is.........

Raza

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on October 02, 2013, 01:30:38 PM
Well we just have differant views. I've seen just as many idiots on 4 wheels as I have seen on 2 so I call it for what it is.........

Fair enough.  Agree to disagree.  No hard feelings, I hope.

Also, as I thought about this more, I'm willing to admit there could be a very strong geographical component.  I remember when I was at school, once you got out of town where all the students were riding, as a whole, the riders were pretty responsible.  Philly bikers seem to be a different animal altogether.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Byteme

Quote from: Gotta-Qik-G8 on October 02, 2013, 01:30:38 PM
California has passed a noise law. IDK how it effects the Harley guys but Sport Bike Exhaust manufacturers have already started producing exhaust that are noise compliant!

Good, I hope they enforce it.

As to where the majority of real jerks fall, percentage wise  I'd say motorcycles. 

Gotta-Qik-C7

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: Raza  on October 02, 2013, 01:46:46 PM
Fair enough.  Agree to disagree.  No hard feelings, I hope.

Also, as I thought about this more, I'm willing to admit there could be a very strong geographical component.  I remember when I was at school, once you got out of town where all the students were riding, as a whole, the riders were pretty responsible.  Philly bikers seem to be a different animal altogether.

No hard feelings! And yes I'm sure it depends on what area you're in! A person in NYC or Miami will see more antics than in a smaller or more rural setting.....