Driver runs over bikers at rally, proceeds to get chased down and beaten.

Started by S204STi, September 30, 2013, 01:30:53 PM

Raza

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Byteme

Quote from: Raza  on October 02, 2013, 01:56:05 PM
This is what I think of when I think of a group of Harley riders:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/14391

(one of my favorite episodes)

It's not the HD motorcycles themselves I find amusing, even though until recently they seemed to be more of a product of a blacksmith than a modern factory.  It's the riders and the super serious subscription to the whole HD lifestyle that's amusing.  Every weekend can be halloween when you ride a Harley.   :lol:

Rupert

The funniest thing is when old Harley guys who are decked out in all the Harley gear pull into a rest stop and they can just barely get off the bike. Yep, that's pretty badass, dude.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: shp4man on October 02, 2013, 11:28:42 AM
We're old and slow. Get off my lawn!  :facepalm:

Seriously, so in Idaho, the Harley riders do under the speed limit? Are you doing the speed limit, or thereabouts?

Double yep. Not all of them, but when see them ahead of me, I just give up. Often, they don't even want to let you pass anywhere not a passing lane. It's usually the cornering "speed" that is so super slow.

Actually, the FOG doctor types tend to be slow but reasonably courteous. The stupid "lifestyle" guys are the assholes.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Gotta-Qik-C7

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 02, 2013, 02:08:45 PM
It's not the HD motorcycles themselves I find amusing, even though until recently they seemed to be more of a product of a blacksmith than a modern factory.  It's the riders and the super serious subscription to the whole HD lifestyle that's amusing.  Every weekend can be halloween when you ride a Harley.   :lol:
:lol:
2014 C7 Vert, 2002 Silverado, 2005 Road Glide

FlatBlackCaddy

I get stuck behind harley guys all the time when I'm out driving around. Nothing worse then a nice summer day, a fast car and a twisty road. Until you get stuck behind a couple old guys and their harley's. They go 5-10 under, slow down WAYYYY to much for turns and don't want you to pass.

Bunch of jackasses IMO, nothing worse then coming across one of them.

I don't understand why they drive the "good" roads when all they want to do is go 30 and stare off into the trees.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 02, 2013, 02:08:45 PM

All right Mr Johnson. We have the anniversary limited custom HD jacket, a HD apparel limited bandana, HD black cotton tee, HD nomad leather bikers pants with extra wide seat, HD limited steel toe chopper extreme boots and of course a pair of HD limited edition and numbered pair of socks. Can I get you anything else?

Do you have any keychains?

Yes we do, official Harley Davidson commemorative Keychains. It's a nice piece, 100% stamped steel with embossed HD logo on the front. These are made in china, but they are only going to make a limited amount of them. It's a great buy and a good investment at only $89.95 a piece.

Wow, I'll take 2!!!!

Sad, but true.

Catman

The guy in the RR was 100% wrong. He should have backed up and finished up then roll over a few more. Dude comes at my window like that he'll be removed by the medical examiner.

Byteme

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 02, 2013, 04:51:27 PM
All right Mr Johnson. We have the anniversary limited custom HD jacket, a HD apparel limited bandana, HD black cotton tee, HD nomad leather bikers pants with extra wide seat, HD limited steel toe chopper extreme boots and of course a pair of HD limited edition and numbered pair of socks. Can I get you anything else?

Do you have any keychains?

Yes we do, official Harley Davidson commemorative Keychains. It's a nice piece, 100% stamped steel with embossed HD logo on the front. These are made in china, but they are only going to make a limited amount of them. It's a great buy and a good investment at only $89.95 a piece.

Wow, I'll take 2!!!!

Sad, but true.

And sadly it's not limited to Harleys.   One of the Mercedes Benz forums I've joined has a sticky poll asking "Why did you buy your car"?  about 50% of the respondents answered with the choice of "Status".  Almost  makes me ashamed I bought one.   

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Catman on October 02, 2013, 06:03:51 PM
The guy in the RR was 100% wrong. He should have backed up and finished up then roll over a few more. Dude comes at my window like that he'll be removed by the medical examiner.

It really is that simple though, these guys on the bikes are lucky...very lucky. They really don't know how bad things could have turned out. Alot of people have carry permits, granted new york is an exception. However all over the rest of the country there would have been atleast one(the guy smashing the drivers window) if not more that would have gotten a fancy new black sleeping bag after an incident like that.

veeman

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 02, 2013, 06:04:19 PM
And sadly it's not limited to Harleys.   One of the Mercedes Benz forums I've joined has a sticky poll asking "Why did you buy your car"?  about 50% of the respondents answered with the choice of "Status".  Almost  makes me ashamed I bought one.   

Many high end goods, particularly in the fashion and clothing industry, are little more than about status.  I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that.  Phaeton failed in large part because VW does not have the necessary status to pull it off.  Lexus has no chance in Europe for many reasons but lack of status is a big one.  When a middle aged guy in an upper middle management position plops down 55 grand for a new E class and drives it to work, he's making a statement.  He wants respect. 

veeman

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 02, 2013, 07:02:36 PM
It really is that simple though, these guys on the bikes are lucky...very lucky. They really don't know how bad things could have turned out. Alot of people have carry permits, granted new york is an exception. However all over the rest of the country there would have been atleast one(the guy smashing the drivers window) if not more that would have gotten a fancy new black sleeping bag after an incident like that.

I think the guy in the SUV is more lucky he got out alive.  What's the chance that out of 30 asshat pack mentality motorcyclists, not one of them shot him.  I'm sure some of them were gangbangers that regularly carry. 

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: veeman on October 02, 2013, 07:28:01 PM
I think the guy in the SUV is more lucky he got out alive.  What's the chance that out of 30 asshat pack mentality motorcyclists, not one of them shot him.  I'm sure some of them were gangbangers that regularly carry. 

Well, to be honest. The guy waited alittle longer than he should have before he went into "flee" mode. I would have never let them get me to a complete stop. The act of boxing in and attempting to force my vehicle to a stop is threatening enough.

J86

Quote from: Rupert on October 02, 2013, 01:31:39 AM
I can't speak for where y'all live, but it's nowhere near half where I live, and most of the problems are Harleyfags riding slow and being loud maroons. Sport bike riders might be doing stupid things, but all in all, they aren't threatening the safety of drivers. Other riders tend to be fine.

You guys are being awfully hyperbolic.

Oh man, you gotta see these idiots in Jersey/NYC.  I hope these biker fucks fry.  So many of them around here.

S204STi

I was speculating with some guys at work about how we would handle this. Eventually we came down to the fact that none of us had ever had much trouble with sport bike riders, but the most annoying thing was groups of cruisers acting like one long vehicle. Frankly, I have little patience for that, and end up having to tuck into groups as I leapfrog them on the highway. If, and It's a big if, they ever decided to get aggressive... Well, good luck keeping up. I'd like to see a fat cruiser stay on my tail on a mountain road.

TurboDan

Quote from: Rupert on October 02, 2013, 11:23:11 AM
Yeah bro, that incident really proves your pro-Harley point, doesn't it?

Riding around town, I don't see many stupid biker acts that actually affect me. It's out on the two-lane highways, and it's almost always Harleys. Not all Harleys are in my way, but almost all bikes that are in my way are Harleys.

Same here. Bikes never seem to cause issues on local streets here. On the highways they are often pure menaces, though.  :huh:

TurboDan

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 02, 2013, 06:04:19 PM

I've seen the same type of thread on LR forums. Interestingly, "status" (or something equivalent) was popular on the American forum, but the British/international LR forum responses were much more practical in nature.

I guess that's why we can't have some of the cooler, small engine BMW and MB options.  :devil:

TurboDan

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 02, 2013, 07:52:38 PM
Well, to be honest. The guy waited alittle longer than he should have before he went into "flee" mode. I would have never let them get me to a complete stop. The act of boxing in and attempting to force my vehicle to a stop is threatening enough.

The RR driver also made a fatal error, if we're counting GTA as any blueprint. Ya never get off the highway if you don't have to!  :devil: :lol:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: veeman on October 02, 2013, 07:28:01 PM

Most defensive firearm uses really require no more than the gun being drawn for a guy armed with a motorcycle helmet to start rethinking his decisions, and evidence shows that despite anti-gun rhetoric, legal carriers are not going to get in shoot outs with one another over traffic arguments.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Byteme

Quote from: veeman on October 02, 2013, 07:20:20 PM
Many high end goods, particularly in the fashion and clothing industry, are little more than about status.  I don't think there's anything particularly wrong with that.  Phaeton failed in large part because VW does not have the necessary status to pull it off.  Lexus has no chance in Europe for many reasons but lack of status is a big one.  When a middle aged guy in an upper middle management position plops down 55 grand for a new E class and drives it to work, he's making a statement.  He wants respect.

All too often he is perpetuating the old joke about the difference between a cactus and a Mercedes.   :lol:

You can't buy respect, it must be earned.   And honestly, when you see a total stranger driving a high end car do you automatically respect him?  You may admire the car but I doubt you respect the owner.

When one buys a car (or anything else for that matter) it shouldn't be because of what owning it does for one's image or status.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 03, 2013, 07:33:47 AM
All too often he is perpetuating the old joke about the difference between a cactus and a Mercedes.   :lol:

You can't buy respect, it must be earned.   And honestly, when you see a total stranger driving a high end car do you automatically respect him?  You may admire the car but I doubt you respect the owner.

When one buys a car (or anything else for that matter) it shouldn't be because of what owning it does for one's image or status.

You know that goes on though. We all do.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

NomisR

So any update on what actually created the whole incident? 

S204STi

This is the best rundown of the whole day that I've seen so far:

http://jalopnik.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-terrifying-suv-vs-1440131015

"It looks like the riders, loosely organized around a website called 'Hollywood Stuntz,' were on an annual ride planning to collect in Times Square. At the time they slowed down Lien, they were apparently trying to close the highway... to make room for stunts... ."

Raza

Quote from: S204STi on October 03, 2013, 11:19:44 AM

http://jalopnik.com/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-terrifying-suv-vs-1440131015

"It looks like the riders, loosely organized around a website called 'Hollywood Stuntz,' were on an annual ride planning to collect in Times Square. At the time they slowed down Lien, they were apparently trying to close the highway... to make room for stunts... ."

Beyond that, though, the police are instructed not to chase after illegal riders like this, as the Post points out.

It's too easy for these riders to evade the cops by riding on the sidewalk or going against traffic, particularly for the dirt bike riders, and it's therefore dangerous for everyone.

Many of these bikes have no plates at all, and the ones that do often belong on a different bike.

Yeah, sounds like a recipe for a bunch of guys riding responsibly.  Ridiculous.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: S204STi on October 03, 2013, 11:19:44 AM

Their advice at the end though is trash.

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 03, 2013, 11:55:17 AM
Their advice at the end though is trash.

Well, it's obviously the guy's fault for not pulling over..

But then again, considering he's asian, he probably doesn't know how to drive properly so he didn't know what to do... :huh:

Soup DeVille

Quote from: NomisR on October 03, 2013, 12:41:47 PM
Well, it's obviously the guy's fault for not pulling over..

But then again, considering he's asian, he probably doesn't know how to drive properly so he didn't know what to do... :huh:

I missed that part where you're supposed to clear the road for bikers who want to do stunts.

veeman

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 03, 2013, 07:33:47 AM

i agree with a lot of this in principal.  in reality it's not how the vast majority of people are.  it's all shades of grey of course.

some (many) people buy a merc not to get respect from strangers but to get respect from their peers be it their other extended family, neighbors, or coworkers.  you buy something expensive, people you know see it and comment on its attractiveness, and it makes you feel good about yourself.  that's human nature.  nothing wrong with that.

that's the whole economy of high end fashion, which luxury cars are largely about.  someone buying a high end mercedes strictly based upon its driving or comfort or style or safety characteristics and not at least in small or large part because "it's a mercedes" would be a rare occurrence.  that is why lexus, acura, and infiniti were created.  too differentiate from the more plebian toyota, honda, and nissan.   

NomisR

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 03, 2013, 12:44:20 PM
I missed that part where you're supposed to clear the road for bikers who want to do stunts.

Well, that's the advice that was given saying the driver made the wrong move by not doing so which put himself and his family in danger...