Mazda Engineers are pushing for more RWD cars.

Started by Onslaught, October 04, 2013, 10:04:42 PM

Onslaught

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/mazda-engineers-push-for-a-return-to-rear-wheel-drive.html?SID=bx9lbsgozsnd&kw=flexibletexttool&PID=3458565&AID=10364102&mktid=cj260233&mktcat=affiliates

Looks like the engineers want more RWD cars in the lineup. I've always felt that this would be a great idea to make Mazda stand out from the Honda's and Toyota's of the world. No way in hell Mazda can really ever cut into those manufactures sales.
And the one thing Mazda has always been known for is their chassis, steering and overall sports feel in their cars. I always thought a Mazda6 in RWD would be a great poor mans' BMW 3 series and a Mazdaspeed version could be a poor manes M3.

But I understand why the top brass isn't so thrilled about the idea. Mazda is just now starting to make a little money after years of sucking eggs. Right now is probably not the best time to give this a go. But perhaps a few years down the road.......

12,000 RPM

They dont need too many more. Miata platform seems solid. People laughed when I said the Miata should have fixed roof and 2+2 options but I think expanding its lineup of body configurations and engines would help increase volume for not a lot of money. 2 seat, 2+2, ragtop, fixed top, 2.0L, 2.5L (both tuned for more power than in the 3/6) and a different model on the same chassis with a rotary called the RX-9. Seems like a no brainer if they can come up with the cash to do it, looking at the enduring success of the Miata and the growth of the segment in the last ~5-10 years.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 05, 2013, 08:41:09 AM
They dont need too many more. Miata platform seems solid. People laughed when I said the Miata should have fixed roof and 2+2 options but I think expanding its lineup of body configurations and engines would help increase volume for not a lot of money. 2 seat, 2+2, ragtop, fixed top, 2.0L, 2.5L (both tuned for more power than in the 3/6) and a different model on the same chassis with a rotary called the RX-9. Seems like a no brainer if they can come up with the cash to do it, looking at the enduring success of the Miata and the growth of the segment in the last ~5-10 years.

That's the opposite of what they intend to do with the next generation miata, iirc. IMO, they have the right idea. What you purpose would make the chassis heavier, which is generally what building flexability through multiple configurations will do.

I do think you have the right idea as far as what they could offer in a different model, maybe like a plus size miata. A bit more on the GT end of things but still lighter and tighter(dimensions) than the G35's and similar sized GT's.

FlatBlackCaddy

The only way a 6 like model could be rwd is if they could offer AWD as a virtually no(or very low) cost option and maintain fuel economy of the competition with the added "security" of awd. This would get the "can't drive rwd in snow" people on board with the model and make it viable for other markets to enjoy rwd.

However they would do it, it looks unlikely for a midsize budget 3 series coming from them. They folded to market pressure and took their first gen smaller 6 and bloated it up to fit in with the "fullsize" midsize rivals. They still do inject more of a sporty attitude into everything, but building bigger and heavier just to appease specsheets isn't a good sign of them "going their own way" anytime in the near future. Atleast when it comes to the mainstream offerings.

Onslaught

I think  RWD, 6 speed, four door sports sedan with a skyactive V6 would be great. No turbo 4 banger bull shit. New miata. A miata coupe, and a true coupe too. No RHT shit. And a new RX-7.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: Onslaught on October 05, 2013, 09:55:55 AM
I think  RWD, 6 speed, four door sports sedan with a skyactive V6 would be great. No turbo 4 banger bull shit. New miata. A miata coupe, and a true coupe too. No RHT shit. And a new RX-7.

Sure, and make it a 3 rotor N/A for the new rx7.

It all sounds great, but it is pretty unlikely.

At best this "more rwd cars" is in reference to another sports/gt car along side of the miata. Either a rx8 replacement or a non rotary GT like a more luxury focused 2+2.

cawimmer430

Am I the only one who lusts after a FWD Miata!?  :hammerhead:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: cawimmer430 on October 05, 2013, 10:07:22 AM

You are the only one who lusts after alot of things.

cawimmer430

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

MX793

They already made one.  It was called the Ford Capri.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Onslaught

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on October 05, 2013, 09:59:51 AM
Sure, and make it a 3 rotor N/A for the new rx7.

It all sounds great, but it is pretty unlikely.

At best this "more rwd cars" is in reference to another sports/gt car along side of the miata. Either a rx8 replacement or a non rotary GT like a more luxury focused 2+2.
Hey, I like the 3 rotor idea. But I doubt we'll see any of these things. Just dull, boring family FWD crap cars.

Onslaught

Slap yourself as hard as you can and save me a long trip overseas please.

Vinsanity

Quote from: Onslaught on October 05, 2013, 09:55:55 AM
I think  RWD, 6 speed, four door sports sedan with a skyactive V6 would be great.

Couldn't agree more! The world needs more affordable mid-size RWD sport sedans. And by "more", I mean "any at all".

Vinsanity

In all seriousness, I never understood the point of a FWD 2-seater.

MX793

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 05, 2013, 12:32:09 PM
In all seriousness, I never understood the point of a FWD 2-seater.

Is there a point to a RWD or AWD 2-seater?

Oh, and Honda CRX.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Soup DeVille

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Onslaught

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 05, 2013, 12:31:35 PM
Couldn't agree more! The world needs more affordable mid-size RWD sport sedans. And by "more", I mean "any at all".
Mazda can never go one on one with the big boys. They're a niche brand at best. So why not make a car that will fill the large hole that's out there for a car like that? If they need to make an AWD one for the ice people then just throw one of those nasty diesel motors they're making into one with AWD in it and call it good. The rest of us better humans can have a sports sedan.

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Vinsanity

Quote from: MX793 on October 05, 2013, 02:26:12 PM
Is there a point to a RWD or AWD 2-seater?

Oh, and Honda CRX.

Performance/handling :huh:

FWD is a compromise that sacrifices performance and handling in favor of packaging. Since there really isn't anything occupying the space between the seats and rear axle, it's not a compromise that makes sense to me.

AWD 2-seaters like Lambos and the R8 make sense because they make big power and make handling more predictable for a mid-engine car.

Miata > CRX.

MX793

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 05, 2013, 03:11:21 PM

FWD is a compromise that sacrifices performance and handling in favor of packaging. Since there really isn't anything occupying the space between the seats and rear axle, it's not a compromise that makes sense to me.

AWD 2-seaters like Lambos and the R8 make sense because they make big power and make handling more predictable for a mid-engine car.

Miata > CRX.

Since when is everything with 2-seats a performance car?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2o6

Miata > CRX.

With low power coupes like the Miata, drive wheels don't really matter. And FWD handling is not necessarily worse, but different.

In the Autotrader thread, you guys sort of balked at the Fiat Barchetta. But IIRC, most reviews place it above the NA Miata of the day. Also, I would place the CRX over the Miata, too. CRX is likely stiffer, and those double wishbones are nothing to fuck with. And the B-series Honda motors blow out anything Mazda has ever made, IMO.

280Z Turbo

CRXs and Miatas run neck and neck in SCCA ITA racing. I would say the CRX has a slight handling advantage whereas the Miata has a slight power advantage.

Vinsanity

Quote from: MX793 on October 05, 2013, 03:48:55 PM
Since when is everything with 2-seats a performance car?

I assumed people wouldn't think I was talking about cargo vans and regular-cab pickups.

MX793

Quote from: Vinsanity on October 05, 2013, 04:02:09 PM
I assumed people wouldn't think I was talking about cargo vans and regular-cab pickups.

I wasn't even thinking trucks/vans.  I was thinking small cars like the mkI Honda Insight or Smart ForTwo (which is RWD).
Needs more Jiggawatts

FlatBlackCaddy

I came across one for sale about a year or so back, it was mint and was actually pretty cheap.

12,000 RPM

Miata > CRX.
Slow RWD is not really super different from slow FWD. But with FWD you can make a cheap offshoot and save a little weight. I'd take a Prelude VTEC over a 240SX any day.

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on October 05, 2013, 03:49:11 PM

With low power coupes like the Miata, drive wheels don't really matter. And FWD handling is not necessarily worse, but different.

In the Autotrader thread, you guys sort of balked at the Fiat Barchetta. But IIRC, most reviews place it above the NA Miata of the day. Also, I would place the CRX over the Miata, too. CRX is likely stiffer, and those double wishbones are nothing to fuck with. And the B-series Honda motors blow out anything Mazda has ever made, IMO.

Out to lunch, as usual.

Onslaught

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 05, 2013, 05:17:22 PM
Slow RWD is not really super different from slow FWD. But with FWD you can make a cheap offshoot and save a little weight. I'd take a Prelude VTEC over a 240SX any day.
I wouldn't. The 240SX was the only japanese coupe that I'd had if it was me back then. Even over the Mazda MX-6 and we all know how much I jerk off to Mazda.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Onslaught on October 05, 2013, 06:03:23 PM
I wouldn't. The 240SX was the only japanese coupe that I'd had if it was me back then. Even over the Mazda MX-6 and we all know how much I jerk off to Mazda.
FWD isnt that bad in the proper applications. The 4th gen Prelude is one of the best handling cars I've ever driven.

2o6

Quote from: Rockraven on October 05, 2013, 05:49:29 PM
Out to lunch, as usual.

:rolleyes:

Fuck off.

I like the NA miata, I really do. However - to turn up one's nose at drive wheels for cars that have like 5HP combined seems stupid. Drive wheels only matter when you hit the gas, anyways. Most handling comes from suspension geometry (which I guess fair enough, sometimes a front-heavy, everything-up-front, shared with something else, FWD setup might not be as ideal) and weight distribution anyways.