Mazda Engineers are pushing for more RWD cars.

Started by Onslaught, October 04, 2013, 10:04:42 PM

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on October 05, 2013, 07:02:04 PM
:rolleyes:

Fuck off.

I like the NA miata, I really do. However - to turn up one's nose at drive wheels for cars that have like 5HP combined seems stupid. Drive wheels only matter when you hit the gas, anyways. Most handling comes from suspension geometry (which I guess fair enough, sometimes a front-heavy, everything-up-front, shared with something else, FWD setup might not be as ideal) and weight distribution anyways.

Handling is also how it handles when you do use the pedal on the right.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 05, 2013, 07:03:14 PM
Handling is also how it handles when you do use the pedal on the right.

And with like 5HP, I the difference won't be that damn different.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on October 05, 2013, 07:03:56 PM
And with like 5HP, I the difference won't be that damn different.

This is largely true.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on October 05, 2013, 07:02:04 PM
:rolleyes:

Fuck off.

I like the NA miata, I really do. However - to turn up one's nose at drive wheels for cars that have like 5HP combined seems stupid. Drive wheels only matter when you hit the gas, anyways. Most handling comes from suspension geometry (which I guess fair enough, sometimes a front-heavy, everything-up-front, shared with something else, FWD setup might not be as ideal) and weight distribution anyways.

Fuck off, fuck off. I owned an '87 CRX, an '86 and '90 Prelude, currently own a '91 Miata, raced a '91 fwd Dodge Daytona, and did hot laps with friend's V8 modified. The differences are much more than you think, even between cars with similar weight and power. Never said I disliked fwd cars, but I do prefer rwd in dry conditions. Also, "drive wheels only matter when you hit the gas"? What exactly is your argument?

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 05, 2013, 07:05:14 PM
This is largely true.

Which is why we should have LWD vehicles. Vehicles with drive wheels on one side.

Quote from: Rockraven on October 05, 2013, 08:04:31 PM
Fuck off, fuck off. I owned an '87 CRX, an '86 and '90 Prelude, currently own a '91 Miata, raced a '91 fwd Dodge Daytona, and did hot laps with friend's V8 modified. The differences are much more than you think, even between cars with similar weight and power. Never said I disliked fwd cars, but I do prefer rwd in dry conditions. Also, "drive wheels only matter when you hit the gas"? What exactly is your argument?

My point is it isn't a big fucking deal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on October 05, 2013, 08:11:34 PM

Which is why we should have LWD vehicles. Vehicles with drive wheels on one side.

It wouldn't be a big fucking deal if your car only had 5 HP. That part is largely true. Weakest car I ever owned had about 40 though, and it did- at least on snow.

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 05, 2013, 08:15:57 PM
It wouldn't be a big fucking deal if your car only had 5 HP. That part is largely true. Weakest car I ever owned had about 40 though, and it did- at least on snow.

Beetle? Dauphine? Metro?

What car did you have that only had 40HP?

Soup DeVille

Quote from: 2o6 on October 05, 2013, 08:16:47 PM
Beetle? Dauphine? Metro?

What car did you have that only had 40HP?

Beetle. '66.

I have to have mentioned that I owned a few Beetles before, haven't I?

Payman

Quote from: 2o6 on October 05, 2013, 08:11:34 PM

It is for most enthusiasts, and conversely for people who live in northern climates. Fwd trumps rwd in ice, rain and snow. Rwd generally handles better in dry conditions.

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 05, 2013, 08:19:02 PM
Beetle. '66.

I have to have mentioned that I owned a few Beetles before, haven't I?

I was hoping it was the Dauphine

Soup DeVille

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on October 05, 2013, 08:20:57 PM
It is for most enthusiasts, and conversely for people who live in northern climates. Fwd trumps rwd in ice, rain and snow. Rwd generally handles better in dry conditions.
The # of exceptions and qualifications for this statement kind of render it to be not true. RWD generally handles better if... a whole bunch of qualifications are lined up.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

MX793

I'd argue that RWD handles "better" (willingness to change direction) in slick conditions too.  FWD handles "safer" (understeers).  It's more stable.  FWD's biggest advantage in the slick is that it has greater off-the-line traction versus a front engine, RWD layout.  Rear engine, RWD layouts offer the same kind of traction as FWD, though.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Onslaught

I cant stand torque steer. And I've never been in a FWD car that didn't have it in some form or another. And when you're in a turn and gas it then it's the worst time to have it. I've had one FWD car in my life and it was ok ut I'll never go back to another one.

Onslaught

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 05, 2013, 06:13:58 PM
FWD isnt that bad in the proper applications. The 4th gen Prelude is one of the best handling cars I've ever driven.
But I actually like the way both the 240SX's looked on the inside and out. Not so much the Prelude. And the 240 is RWD so that's even more of a plus.

cawimmer430

Quote from: Onslaught on October 05, 2013, 11:37:02 AM
Slap yourself as hard as you can and save me a long trip overseas please.

Ooops...  :devil:

-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Onslaught on October 06, 2013, 07:45:08 AM
But I actually like the way both the 240SX's looked on the inside and out. Not so much the Prelude. And the 240 is RWD so that's even more of a plus.
A Crown Vic is RWD too. Id still rather the Prelude

Onslaught

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 06, 2013, 12:20:03 PM
A Crown Vic is RWD too. Id still rather the Prelude
With a choice like that I'd take the Prelude too. Then sell it and buy a 240.

cawimmer430

Prelude vs Crown Victoria...hmmm...

Crown Victoria for me!  :wub:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

Rupert

Quote from: Onslaught on October 06, 2013, 07:40:52 AM
I cant stand torque steer. And I've never been in a FWD car that didn't have it in some form or another. And when you're in a turn and gas it then it's the worst time to have it. I've had one FWD car in my life and it was ok ut I'll never go back to another one.

I get a kick out of torque steer. It's like, this car is so badass, it goes where it wants, bitches!
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Eye of the Tiger

I rode in a new Mazdaspeed3 yesterday (an excellent car for the money), but the whole I time I was just thinking, "I wish they would put this motor in the Miata..."
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 05, 2013, 08:41:09 AM
They dont need too many more. Miata platform seems solid. People laughed when I said the Miata should have fixed roof and 2+2 options but I think expanding its lineup of body configurations and engines would help increase volume for not a lot of money. 2 seat, 2+2, ragtop, fixed top, 2.0L, 2.5L (both tuned for more power than in the 3/6) and a different model on the same chassis with a rotary called the RX-9. Seems like a no brainer if they can come up with the cash to do it, looking at the enduring success of the Miata and the growth of the segment in the last ~5-10 years.

No, no.  People laughed when you said that you'd buy a Miata if it were a fixed roof 2+2, because that's no longer a Miata.  Had you said that you'd buy a Miata-based fixed roof 2+2, no one would have questioned it. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

I see people are still hung up on drivetrains rather than individual cars.  I learned long ago that the "FWD sucks!" attitude was way, way off. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

280Z Turbo

If they had made a Miata coupe, I'd almost certainly have bought one.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on October 06, 2013, 07:26:35 PM
No, no.  People laughed when you said that you'd buy a Miata if it were a fixed roof 2+2, because that's no longer a Miata.  Had you said that you'd buy a Miata-based fixed roof 2+2, no one would have questioned it.
If Miata called a CX-5 a Miata, guess what... it would be a Miata. You & the folks who were crying's collective Pavlovian pedanticism wouldn't change that. Granted, now I am making do with a 2 seater, so I would settle for a fixed roof Miata (with some more power). Again though, Mazda, not Raza, defines the Miata

2o6

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Onslaught

I looked into trying to find one of those to import and couldn't. I also looked into getting the Mazda replacement parts from Japan to build one off an NB from over here but couldn't either.

Soup DeVille

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on October 06, 2013, 07:55:26 PM
If Miata called a CX-5 a Miata, guess what... it would be a Miata. You & the folks who were crying's collective Pavlovian pedanticism wouldn't change that. Granted, now I am making do with a 2 seater, so I would settle for a fixed roof Miata (with some more power). Again though, Mazda, not Raza, defines the Miata

Yeah, Mazda defined the Miata when it made it a two-seat roadster for the last 20+ years.

And guess what, that shit matters. People lost their shit when they took off the name Miata from the MX-5. So no, after 20 years, the definition exists beyond just a label. It would be like calling the Cayenne a 911. It doesn't work like that. It's as much an idea as a name; maybe moreso.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i