Mercedes B-Class Review

Started by BMWDave, May 17, 2005, 05:09:45 AM

BMWDave

May 17, 2005

Click image to enlarge
First Drive:
Mercedes-Benz B-Class
Review and photos by Laurance Yap

Barcelona, Spain - Your first reaction to seeing a B-Class on the road here in Canada is likely to be, "This is a Mercedes?"

You'll probably react that way because of the way the B-Class looks: it's unlike anything else in the company's line-up. To begin with, it's small - a lot shorter than the company's sedans - and tall, almost like a shrunken minivan. It has neither the flowing, formal lines of Mercedes' mainstay models like the C, E, and S-Classes, nor does it have the low-slung swoopiness and Formula 1 styling cues shared by its sports models. As such, at least in North America, it's a case of one of these things being not like the others.

That's okay. Mercedes figures you'll get used to it, for three reasons. First, the Europeans did; the A-Class, on which the slightly-larger B-Class is based, is now a mainstay on continental roads, and indeed is one of the more popular premium-branded cars in its compact family-car segment. Second, because the little B is only the first of the Mercedes people-movers we'll get this year, with the gigantic R-Class to follow later this year. And third, because frankly, the packaging is so brilliant that it's impossible not to love.

Fundamentally, managing to find so much room in such a small car wasn't rocket science. When people sit more upright, in higher seats, their legs stretch more below them than in front of them; this means an increased feeling of roominess without a consequent increase in footprint.
Click image to enlarge
But with the A-Class, and now with the B, Mercedes went a step further by packaging the engine and other drivetrain components under a "sandwich" floor, meaning the cabin could now extend almost right to the front of the car. For something that casts a shadow smaller than a C-Class sedan, the B-Class is amazingly roomy, with more interior volume than the much larger E-Class.

The sandwiched floor pays more dividends than just interior space, however. It makes this compact MPV incredibly safe, too: in a frontal collision, the engine slides underneath the cabin rather than intruding into it, making for superb crash-test scores that are on par with any other big Mercedes. The dual floor also facilitates the introduction of alternative drive-trains in the future. Mercedes has built several variations of the A-Class on which the B is based with hybrid drive-trains and fuel cells, all of which conveniently fill the space between the two floors, and leave the cabin and the roomy cargo area untouched.

That cabin is one of the nicest in the Mercedes line-up, even when stacked against the ultra-luxe fittings of an S or a CL. What makes it special is the combination of space, quality, and atmosphere. In addition to enough room to truly stretch out, the plastics, fabrics, and leathers used in the B's interior are equal or superior to those used in other Benzes, especially those, like the S-Class, which were released some years ago in a time when the company's interior quality was slipping. What's cool is the interior architecture: airy and open, with big windows and bright instrument graphics, it looks decidedly modern, with the quality finish and solidity of all the fittings simultaneously giving it an upscale feel.

If you're a Mercedes traditionalist, you're more likely to be bothered by the B's front-drive architecture than by its innovative packaging or bright interior. Not only is the B200's four-cylinder engine mounted transversely, and not only does it drive the front wheels, but it also comes standard with a manual transmission, an option which has been less than popular on Benzes of the past. To the company's credit, most of the time you can't really tell which end of the car's doing the driving, thanks to a distinct lack of torque steer (despite all the torque) and steering whose feel remains remarkably uncorrupted given the front wheels' dual duties.

Part of that pleasure comes from two impressive powerplants: the base engine is a 2.0-litre engine generating a strong and smooth 136 hp, while the up-level B200 turbo adds a turbocharger for 193 hp and a strong, elastic surge of torque. Both of them are silken as can be, quiet when you're cruising, and delightfully snarly if you're being a hooligan. But the best part may be the manual transmissions (five-speed in the B200, six-speed in the Turbo): shift feel, once one of the primary reasons NOT to order a Mercedes with a manual, is as good in the B as it is in the excellent SLK. It's a pleasure to row the little B through its gears.

Drive aggressively, and you're never going to mistake the B for a sports car, but it is as comfortable, secure, and responsive as you would want for a people-carrier. Once you acclimatize to the high-set driving position, you realize that it only feels like the body rolls a bit because you're that much further up, and that the multi-link suspension keeps the tires glued resolutely to the ground no matter how bumpy the corner. Cornering grip is impressive even with the base wheel-and-tire package (a sport pack with bigger, stickier tires will be available).

Like all Mercedes, the brakes are superb, and are augmented by traction- and stability-control systems that can't be switched off, but whose thresholds have been raised enough to allow fairly spirited driving without undue intervention. The only downside is a marked sensitivity to crosswinds thanks to the car's tall architecture; it was noticeable at the elevated highway speeds at which I was traveling in Spain, but might be less of a problem on our slower, more congested roads.

How the B-Class will fare in Canada - in terms of sales and in terms of its perception as a Mercedes - when it goes on sale later in the summer will depend in large part on how the pricing works out. With C-Classes starting at under $40,000, the same number would seem to be a natural place for a B200 Turbo to end up with a few options; figure on $35,000 for the Turbo and, if we're lucky, the base model for around $30,000, or maybe even under that magic mark. At that price point, it'll not only serve as a brilliant way to bring new, younger buyers into the Mercedes family, but will also be a very attractive option for forward-thinking urbanites who would never have considered the brand before. As such, it would be a win-win proposition.

2007 Honda S2000
OEM Hardtop, Rick's Ti Shift Knob, 17" Volk LE37ts coming soon...

ifcar

Also, doesn't Canada have a good number of the low-end luxury cars found in Europe (E220 and the like)? It wouldn't really even hurt the brand image there.  

cawimmer430

I think it'll do well in Canada. MB's image there is different from MB's image in the US. I do think Canada could also use cars like the E200 Kompressor and E240. A Canadian friend of mine who works at an MB dealership tells me that a lot of customers ask if there are models below the E320. When they're told Yes, but only in Europe or Asia, they wander off wondering he tells me. It would make sense if you ask me. If I was living in the city, I'd go for an E200 Kompressor or E220 CDI (E200 CDI is too lame) and not an E320 or E500.

Anyways, that was off-topic. I think the B-Class will do quite well based on the info I got from my buddy and what I know from MB's image in Canada. Can't wait to drive the B-Class! :lol:  
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie

BMWDave

QuoteI think it'll do well in Canada. MB's image there is different from MB's image in the US. I do think Canada could also use cars like the E200 Kompressor and E240. A Canadian friend of mine who works at an MB dealership tells me that a lot of customers ask if there are models below the E320. When they're told Yes, but only in Europe or Asia, they wander off wondering he tells me. It would make sense if you ask me. If I was living in the city, I'd go for an E200 Kompressor or E220 CDI (E200 CDI is too lame) and not an E320 or E500.

Anyways, that was off-topic. I think the B-Class will do quite well based on the info I got from my buddy and what I know from MB's image in Canada. Can't wait to drive the B-Class! :lol:
Wims, when do you plan on driving it?

2007 Honda S2000

93JC

QuoteAlso, doesn't Canada have a good number of the low-end luxury cars found in Europe (E220 and the like)? It wouldn't really even hurt the brand image there.
Nope. E-class in Canada includes E320, E350, E320 CDI, E500 and E55 AMG.

The US and Canadian lineups are nearly identical. The only differences I'm aware of are that Canada has a short-wheelbase S430 and E320 sedans and wagons (all E-class wagons are also 4MATIC), and the States get the S350.

It's hard to say. It could hurt the brand image. It might not. A relative large amount of people were willing to shell money out on some pretty awful C-class sedans, wagons and sportcoup?s.

cawimmer430

QuoteI think it'll do well in Canada. MB's image there is different from MB's image in the US. I do think Canada could also use cars like the E200 Kompressor and E240. A Canadian friend of mine who works at an MB dealership tells me that a lot of customers ask if there are models below the E320. When they're told Yes, but only in Europe or Asia, they wander off wondering he tells me. It would make sense if you ask me. If I was living in the city, I'd go for an E200 Kompressor or E220 CDI (E200 CDI is too lame) and not an E320 or E500.

When the dealer gets them.  :lol:

The local MB dealer doesn't have 'em yet I'm afraid, same with the M-Class. And the local BMW dealer won't let me touch their cars.  :P  

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de

BMWDave

The local MB dealer doesn't have 'em yet I'm afraid, same with the M-Class. And the local BMW dealer won't let me touch their cars.  :P
They must think youre a spy!  I have an idea...borrow a CLS again from Mr. Schultz and then go to the BMW dealer, and they will take you seriously if you have a CLS with you.

2007 Honda S2000

cawimmer430

They must think youre a spy!  I have an idea...borrow a CLS again from Mr. Schultz and then go to the BMW dealer, and they will take you seriously if you have a CLS with you.
"Mr. Wimmer, can we perhaps interest you in our new 6-series convrtible...as...shall we say...an alternative to your CLS..."  :P

The BMW folks know my dad is more of a Benz guy, but I could use that to my advantage. I could go to BMW dealership and say that I just testdrove an E55 AMG and I wasn't impressed, I want to see if the M5 can impress me.  :D  <---It'll never work though. I have no "Mr. Schultz" at BMW...

www.wimmerfotografie.de

BMWDave

"Mr. Wimmer, can we perhaps interest you in our new 6-series convrtible...as...shall we say...an alternative to your CLS..."  :P

The BMW folks know my dad is more of a Benz guy, but I could use that to my advantage. I could go to BMW dealership and say that I just testdrove an E55 AMG and I wasn't impressed, I want to see if the M5 can impress me.  :D  <---It'll never work though. I have no "Mr. Schultz" at BMW...
:lol:  

2007 Honda S2000