My old Honda Pilot

Started by Morris Minor, October 11, 2013, 07:42:43 AM

Morris Minor

My son has it now - the car's coming up to 11-years old. It's got about 145,000 on the clock. His last escapade was to fit a tow hitch, but no transmission cooler, then buy an old crappy 2-wheel enclosed trailer (no brakes & wheels at the back - max weight on the hitch). Then, with the nose up & the tail down, he hauled all his belongings from Saratoga Springs NY to Atlanta. He stayed with us a few days, had the Pilot's brakes fixed, then drove 2,200 miles from Atlanta to San Diego.

He made it, took three days & the transmission did not blow up. I guess he's benefiting from the years of TLC & scheduled maintenance bills under my ownership. A dad that keeps on giving.  ;)
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

TurboDan

When I tow my boat with the LR2, it's somewhat near the max in terms of tow rating and my trailer doesn't have surge brakes. In my observation it drives at a slightly higher RPM but the auto transmission is stunningly smooth with its shifts – WAY smoother than my mom's old Durango, which we used to use to tow the boat. That thing would snap gears back and forth so hard you thought the tranny was going to come flying out from under the hood and land in the passenger seat.

I think surge brakes have more to do with the rated load of the trailer than the capacity of the vehicle, if I'm not mistaken.

Morris Minor

The old girl still lives. My son parked it at a friend's place in the desert ten months ago & came back to it today after an overseas tour. Reconnected the battery. Turned the key. Started first time.

Hooyah.

12,000 RPM

That good old Honda magic.

If hes towing up hills a transmission cooler is not a bad idea though.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Morris Minor

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 22, 2015, 06:35:56 PM
That good old Honda magic.

If hes towing up hills a transmission cooler is not a bad idea though.

He's moving it with him to Hawaii - plenty of hills there.

AutobahnSHO

fun assignment, nice vehicle. My dad sold me my first car ($650) and it drove beautiful because he'd kept it up well. Sons appreciate it.   :ohyeah:
Will

Morris Minor

Ooh - we just got the "Your airbag behaves like a fragmentation grenade" recall notice.

Morris Minor

Spoke to my son last night. He's going to sell the old Pilot. He's pretty sure he hastened the demise of the transmission early last year when he towed a trailer way above the Pilot's max weight rating from Groton, CT, down to Atlanta GA, then across to San Diego CA.  Now that it's in mountainous Hawaii it's beginning to complain, lots of elevation changes and steep gradients. Guessing he will get a CPO Grand Cherokee.

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 11, 2013, 07:42:43 AM
My son has it now - the car's coming up to 11-years old. It's got about 145,000 on the clock. His last escapade was to fit a tow hitch, but no transmission cooler, then buy an old crappy 2-wheel enclosed trailer (no brakes & wheels at the back - max weight on the hitch). Then, with the nose up & the tail down, he hauled all his belongings from Saratoga Springs NY to Atlanta. He stayed with us a few days, had the Pilot's brakes fixed, then drove 2,200 miles from Atlanta to San Diego.

He made it, took three days & the transmission did not blow up. I guess he's benefiting from the years of TLC & scheduled maintenance bills under my ownership. A dad that keeps on giving.  ;)

My Dad's Pilot is going strong and I think he's probably around 130K and he doesn't plan on getting anything different anytime soon. The only thing I don't like is the road noise, but other than that, it's a good vehicle.

The engine ain't bad either.

Morris Minor

I'm in Honolulu and, sob, my old Pilot is still going strong: 158,000 miles, battered & scraped, but still standing - my son's daily driver. So weird to see it with Hawaii plates.

AutobahnSHO

Quote from: Morris Minor on January 17, 2016, 08:53:26 PM
I'm in Honolulu and, sob, my old Pilot is still going strong: 158,000 miles, battered & scraped, but still standing - my son's daily driver. So weird to see it with Hawaii plates.

Hondas last great. My Odyssey has done 12k miles since I bought it and realized it has a "transmission shudder"...
Will

Atomic

Quote from: TurboDan on October 19, 2013, 12:34:57 AM
When I tow my boat with the LR2, it's somewhat near the max in terms of tow rating and my trailer doesn't have surge brakes. In my observation it drives at a slightly higher RPM but the auto transmission is stunningly smooth with its shifts – WAY smoother than my mom's old Durango, which we used to use to tow the boat. That thing would snap gears back and forth so hard you thought the tranny was going to come flying out from under the hood and land in the passenger seat.

I think surge brakes have more to do with the rated load of the trailer than the capacity of the vehicle, if I'm not mistaken.

Quote from: TurboDan on October 19, 2013, 12:34:57 AM

BTW: Land Rover / Range Rover LR2

Hey Turbo Dan, before commenting on the Honda Pilot, I am wondering if you are away that the LR2 is already nearing a major redesign and will become the next generation Discover, losing its "LR2" moniker. Any additional information or thoughts about this on your part? If I can get a full report together if there this is enough published on that change, I will start a new post unless you or another fellow 'spinner does so first.

RE: Honda Pilot

Proud and seemingly great, dad, I am enjoying your post! Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the all new for MY16 Honda Pilot? A good friend just took deliver of one he ordered in a luxurious white metallic or pearl coat white in whatever they are calling the new top of the line model. IMHO, it is far more Acura like. It even nearly rivals Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo Crossover / Sport Utility Vehicle-like offerings as so equipped and with its MY16 Honda fit and finish. Very posh. The beige leather with black trim, including carpeting has a very upscale look.

Always, a Honda guy, I am wondering if there might happen to be a "current" Pilot available that is more inline with your son's era Honda where I think many would feel more comfortable using to knock around in and using to haul cargo other than the families luggage, some fine antiques, etc. I would imagine so, but have not looked that closely at any new Honda Pilots aside from his. My buddy wanted a luxurious crossover / SUV for himself and the family from the very start and ordered it as such and actually made it quite unique in the way he choose to accessorize it. I am impressed with his new Pilot and even though above 40 grand (not certain how much more), it is far below what you would expect driving it, especially compared to similarly equipped vehicles. Impressive!

BENZ BOY15

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 11, 2013, 07:42:43 AM

My dad has the same version with around the same amount of miles. He loves it and it's going strong as well.

Morris Minor

I have not looked too closely at the new Pilot - it's big: almost minivan-like appearance.

One thing I noticed when driving around Oahu is that the a/c still blasts out cold air like crazy. Honda specced a very beefy system  - nice in hot climates.

Morris Minor

Update. She's dead, Jim.  :cry: 14 years almost to the day since I bought it. 170K miles - transmission needs replacing. Son has no time to deal with it; he's transitioning out of the Navy and is in the middle of all that. He could have a rebuilt transmission put in, but something else is going to fail & he has the money to buy a newer car when he's back on the mainland.

He'll sell it as is in Hawaii - some transmission shop will fix it up & sell it on no doubt.

Cookie Monster

170k on the stock transmission is great. The MDX's transmission assploded in grand fashion at around 115-120k.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

Morris Minor

Quote from: Cookie Monster on October 26, 2016, 12:58:09 PM
170k on the stock transmission is great. The MDX's transmission assploded in grand fashion at around 115-120k.

I bet it would have lasted longer if he hadn't done that little journey I detailed in the OP 3-years ago.

Cookie Monster

Quote from: Morris Minor on October 26, 2016, 01:09:55 PM
I bet it would have lasted longer if he hadn't done that little journey I detailed in the OP 3-years ago.

Eh, I doubt it. How heavy was the trailer? I can't see it being more than 1000 lb fully loaded, which is significantly less than what the Pilot is rated to tow.
RWD > FWD
President of the "I survived the Volvo S80 Thread" Club
2007 Mazda MX-5 | 1999 Honda Nighthawk 750 | 1989 Volvo 240 | 1991 Toyota 4Runner | 2006 Honda CBR600F4i | 2015 Yamaha FJ-09 | 1999 Honda CBR600F4 | 2009 Yamaha WR250X | 1985 Mazda RX-7 | 2000 Yamaha YZ426F | 2006 Yamaha FZ1 | 2002 Honda CBR954RR | 1996 Subaru Outback | 2018 Subaru Crosstrek | 1986 Toyota MR2
Quote from: 68_427 on November 27, 2016, 07:43:14 AM
Or order from fortune auto and when lyft rider asks why your car feels bumpy you can show them the dyno curve
1 3 5
├┼┤
2 4 R

AutobahnSHO

Supposedly used car prices are silly high in Hawaii since it's a closed-off market....
Will

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

Morris Minor

She still lives. He gave it s stay of execution.

He brought it back to the mainland and is getting it fixed. Next up is a trek from San Diego to Boston to take up a new job.

What I've learned is that meticulously maintaining and looking after a car only benefits you personally if you keep it for more than a decade.

Morris Minor

Still she lives - son had the transmission replaced. It's had a few gremlins but is still going strong.
South Dakota Badlands - en route from Boston to San Francisco.

Xer0

The first gen Pilot still looks very good.  Glad its held up well, obvious Honda transmission issues aside.