Things

Started by hounddog, October 12, 2013, 02:58:59 AM

hounddog

Quote from: GoCougs on October 14, 2013, 02:30:10 AM
Gearing and airbags don't give 1-ton towing capacity to a 3/4-ton (see below). If that's all it took Dodge (and other automakers) would do that from the factory.
:facepalm:  No one said it does.  :huh:

QuoteThe 5500 comes standard with 4.10 gears and both the 2500 and 5500 HO Cummins can be outfitted with the Aisin transmission.

Despite having the same engine, transmission and gearing as the 2500, the 5500 has significantly higher towing capacity owing to bigger brakes, stiffer/beefier springs, stronger frame, beefier differentials/axles, 19.5" commercial rims/tires, and most importantly, rear duallies.
:vapors:

"Starting in 2014, Ram 4500 and 5500 chassis cabs carried a standard Aisin AS66RC (also optional on Ram 3500). This transmission provided an optional 45 hp and 250 lb-ft of torque through a power takeoff (PTO) on either the right or left side of the cab; the computer uses cylinder deactivation on the Hemi while in PTO mode, saving fuel. The design of the AS66RC seems to be similar to the AS69RC; gear ratios are identical. In the chassis cabs, axle ratios were 4.44 (Ram 3500, 4500) or 4.88 (Ram 4500, 5500).

Original is at Aisin transmissions used by Jeep and Ram trucks: AW-4, AS68RC, AS69RC, AS66RC http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/aisin.html#ixzz2hlI0FU00
Follow us: @allparcom on Twitter | allparcom on Facebook"

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hounddog on October 14, 2013, 10:33:40 PM
:facepalm:  No one said it does.  :huh:
:vapors:

"Starting in 2014, Ram 4500 and 5500 chassis cabs carried a standard Aisin AS66RC (also optional on Ram 3500). This transmission provided an optional 45 hp and 250 lb-ft of torque through a power takeoff (PTO) on either the right or left side of the cab; the computer uses cylinder deactivation on the Hemi while in PTO mode, saving fuel. The design of the AS66RC seems to be similar to the AS69RC; gear ratios are identical. In the chassis cabs, axle ratios were 4.44 (Ram 3500, 4500) or 4.88 (Ram 4500, 5500).

Original is at Aisin transmissions used by Jeep and Ram trucks: AW-4, AS68RC, AS69RC, AS66RC http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/aisin.html#ixzz2hlI0FU00
Follow us: @allparcom on Twitter | allparcom on Facebook"

Wait.

You have a PTO on your pickup?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

hounddog

Quote from: Rupert on October 14, 2013, 03:39:02 AM
I do a lot of pretty much all of that (I daresay more than you), and I've never had a problem with the stock brakes on a 2500 of that generation unless the trailer brakes were busted or not set up right. No fade, certainly no failure.
Its not a contest, Rupert.  You asked, I explained. 

I have been hauling 15,000lb tractors in heavy rain and had the brakes simply just act is if they did not exist.

Since the trailer has its own brakes it may never be a problem, but they were only $150 per set so its worth a try.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 14, 2013, 10:36:12 PM
Wait.

You have a PTO on your pickup?
No.  My truck does not have the Aisin transmission.
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

hounddog

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 14, 2013, 08:34:39 AM
Where does your son play football that there are no motels, hotels or bed and breakfasts?   

I briefly considered a travel trailer, but soon rejected it.  When I go on a trip I don't want to spend my time cooking, cleaning and making beds.  That's what restaurants and hotel maids are for.     Plus, who wants to travel stuck in a gas hog truck dragging a small house behind them?   And don't even get me started on the economics of owning one.

But, having said that.  Enjoy your new toy and be safe with it.   
Because I can not pull the hotel into the parking lot and tailgate from it, and, we intend to use it for much more than just that.  But, it does give us the added ability to go to away games and not have to come straight home.

And, if we travel to a couple away games in a row we live out of a closet, with a washing machine, my own chair and TV with Bose surround, ability to not have to eat out if we so chose, etc.

As for "being stuck" in a truck, we like the truck.  :huh:  And we both enjoy traveling. 

You should also see some of these luxury RV parks.   :cheers:
~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hounddog on October 14, 2013, 10:40:10 PM
No.  My truck does not have the Aisin transmission.

Oh. Nevermind then.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: hounddog on October 14, 2013, 10:42:00 PM
Because I can not pull the hotel into the parking lot and tailgate from it, and, we intend to use it for much more than just that.  But, it does give us the added ability to go to away games and not have to come straight home.

I don't think they've ever seen what tailgating at a big college really entails.

Have fun with your rig.

Rupert

Quote from: hounddog on October 14, 2013, 10:39:06 PM
Its not a contest, Rupert.  You asked, I explained. 

I have been hauling 15,000lb tractors in heavy rain and had the brakes simply just act is if they did not exist.

Since the trailer has its own brakes it may never be a problem, but they were only $150 per set so its worth a try.

I didn't ask, actually. The cross drilling won't help.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

Rupert

Quote from: veeman on October 14, 2013, 07:05:48 PM
I'm finding the hate for RVs being expressed totally ridiculous.  There's plenty of reasons to want one that don't have to do with economics.  It's your own damn place your staying in rather than someone else's place (motel) and that's worth a lot.  You don't have to worry about ticks, theft, and early checkouts.  Cooking your own food is far healthier and more economical than eating out three meals a day.  The blight on the roads is completely overblown.  They are no more a nuisance than any other bus and I would bet a lot of us would love to ride in John Maddens bus (he is deathly afraid of flying).  And Raza that whole sleeping next to shit thing is funny but not a realistic concern.  I'm sure yacht owners arent up at night because they're sleeping next to their shit.  In addition, there's a shit load of shit inside you when you sleep at night as its lying in your colon waiting to be expelled in the morning before you go to work.

You do have to worry about your shit, though, and that's a pretty big worry. You also have to worry about pests and storage. Actually theft, as well. And the stuff that MiataJohn mentioned. I actually have a fair amount of RV trailer experience (and I am sorry to the world for that). ;)

The menace on the road is absolutely not overblown. I have blown the menace perfectly. As Soup said, commercial rigs, including buses and semi trucks, are driven by experienced professionals, and while they are a pain, they're always moving faster if possible, and they are way more likely to see you and let you by. They're also doing a job. RV-ers tend to act self-righteous and entitled, more than other drivers (and the effect they have on others is also larger than other drivers).

I'm not just talking out my ass, here, either. I drove 15,000 miles on many kinds of highways and freeways in the western States between May and October this year. The only thing worse than RVs are Harleys, because in addition to being slow and stupid, they're also assholes with an attitude, usually unearned. :P
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.

Byteme

Quote from: Rupert on October 15, 2013, 12:27:42 AM
The menace on the road is absolutely not overblown. I have blown the menace perfectly. As Soup said, commercial rigs, including buses and semi trucks, are driven by experienced professionals, and while they are a pain, they're always moving faster if possible, and they are way more likely to see you and let you by. They're also doing a job. RV-ers tend to act self-righteous and entitled, more than other drivers (and the effect they have on others is also larger than other drivers).

In my experience 18 wheelers are frequently a pain in the butt.  Several of them in a pack will be going about the speed limit and when you come up behind them the one behind the rest will pull out to pass the others and painfully creep by the others at about 1/2 mile per hour faster.   They don't seem to care if they inconvenience the car driver or not, but woe betide the car driver who inconveniences the truck driver.  Most RVs I've seen tend to stay in the slow lane and out of your way except as I noted  around tourist areas where their sheer numbers make them a hazard.   YMMV

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 15, 2013, 04:58:07 AM
In my experience 18 wheelers are frequently a pain in the butt.  Several of them in a pack will be going about the speed limit and when you come up behind them the one behind the rest will pull out to pass the others and painfully creep by the others at about 1/2 mile per hour faster.   They don't seem to care if they inconvenience the car driver or not, but woe betide the car driver who inconveniences the truck driver.  Most RVs I've seen tend to stay in the slow lane and out of your way except as I noted  around tourist areas where their sheer numbers make them a hazard.   YMMV

A lot of that can be blamed on the stupid speed limiters on company rigs.

Raza

Quote from: Soup DeVille on October 14, 2013, 10:50:25 PM
I don't think they've ever seen what tailgating at a big college really entails.

:nono:

I went to Penn State, remember?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MrH

Quote from: Raza  on October 15, 2013, 09:29:39 AM
:nono:

I went to Penn State, remember?

Yeah, but you hate people and real sports.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Raza

Quote from: MrH on October 15, 2013, 11:17:43 AM
Yeah, but you hate people and real sports.

I don't hate all people.  And I watch football, but only socially.  It's only basketball that sucks. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

giant_mtb

A good friend of mine is at Penn State. MAYBE YOU KNOW HIM?!?!?!

:lol:

Lebowski

Quote from: veeman on October 14, 2013, 07:05:48 PM

I'm finding the hate for RVs being expressed totally ridiculous.  There's plenty of reasons to want one that don't have to do with economics.  It's your own damn place your staying in rather than someone else's place (motel) and that's worth a lot.  You don't have to worry about ticks, theft, and early checkouts.  Cooking your own food is far healthier and more economical than eating out three meals a day.  The blight on the roads is completely overblown.  They are no more a nuisance than any other bus and I would bet a lot of us would love to ride in John Maddens bus (he is deathly afraid of flying).  And Raza that whole sleeping next to shit thing is funny but not a realistic concern.  I'm sure yacht owners arent up at night because they're sleeping next to their shit.  In addition, there's a shit load of shit inside you when you sleep at night as its lying in your colon waiting to be expelled in the morning before you go to work.

What kind of hotels are you staying at where you worry about these things?

Talking about cooking your own food as "economical" is a non-starter as there's absolutely nothing economical about this whole thing i.e. There's nothing remotely "economical" about cooking my own food if doing so requires hauling my entire kitchen with me 

Rupert

Also RVs are expensive and require storage space and maintenance and they eat gas like nothing else.

Rupert

Quote from: MiataJohn on October 15, 2013, 04:58:07 AM

Yeah, they are, but RVs are more frequently a pain.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Rupert on October 15, 2013, 02:26:51 PM
Also RVs are expensive and require storage space and maintenance and they eat gas like nothing else.

The storage costs can vary greatly. If you already have a place to store it, it's close to a nonissue.

Rupert

Well obviously, but there's still effort involved in winterizing the thing even if you don't mind it parked in your front yard.

Catman

Jesus,  is there anything you clowns won't bicker about?

Tony,  enjoy the rig.  Looks like fun.

280Z Turbo

Quote from: Catman on October 15, 2013, 08:03:21 PM

Gotta talk about something!

"OH WOW NICE RV DUED U DID GUDE" is only good for about 10-15 posts anyway. :lol:

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on October 15, 2013, 12:22:07 PM
A good friend of mine is at Penn State. MAYBE YOU KNOW HIM?!?!?!

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

AutobahnSHO

1- Tony, congrats!

2- I want an RV someday.  :lol:

3- talking about driving menace, I needed just a valid car license to rent a 26' moving truck. I've driven big stuff before (army) but most should NOT be driving something like that, but if they have the $$$ they can though  ($700 from Clarksville, TN to Crofton, MD (near Annapolis/Baltimore) plus about $550 in diesel.)
Will

Byteme

Quote from: AutobahnSHO on October 16, 2013, 06:17:22 PM
1- Tony, congrats!

2- I want an RV someday.  :lol:

3- talking about driving menace, I needed just a valid car license to rent a 26' moving truck. I've driven big stuff before (army) but most should NOT be driving something like that, but if they have the $$$ they can though  ($700 from Clarksville, TN to Crofton, MD (near Annapolis/Baltimore) plus about $550 in diesel.)

Yeah, same thing when we moved last year.  Except I was driving the 26' U-Haul and my wife was following in a 21'.  Not difficult if you carefully choose your fueling points, and other stops.  Plus for most it's their first time driving something like that so they are either extra careful or stupidly reckless.  Fortunately, most are extra careful. 

Diesel?  U-Hauls are all gas IIRC.  You must have had a Penske or someone else.

hounddog

Quote from: Rupert on October 15, 2013, 12:27:42 AM
You do have to worry about your shit, though, and that's a pretty big worry. You also have to worry about pests and storage. Actually theft, as well.
It really is not a big deal, a little time consuming to empty the tanks, but not a big deal.  When they empty and before you get on your way to the next stay, pour a mix of a couple bags of ice, a couple gallons of water and some bleach down the toilet and its pretty self maintaining. 

Storage is also not a big deal, but can get a little pricey.  Keep in mind, though, a person will spend a commensurate amount on care, upkeep and storage as the RV is worth.  I have indoor storage for summer and a separate spot for winter (heated).  They already exist and we (family farm) owns them so there is zero extra costs there.

Pests and theft:  Really?  LOL  Not exactly real concerns since EVERYTHING has pest and theft concerns.  :huh:  Pests are fairly easily dealt with, and theft is even easier: locks.

QuoteThe menace on the road is absolutely not overblown. I have blown the menace perfectly.
Anecdotal examples, while emotionally charged and engaging, are not really valuable.  They might have been a nuisance to you, there is little to suggest they are any more a legitimate "menace" than any other large vehicle on the roadway.  I think that has more to with demographics than with their camping equipment.

QuoteI'm not just talking out my ass, here, either.
Sure sounds like it.  :)  In the end, none of this really matters.  My wife and I are slowing down (mostly me) and are in a position to be able to buy things we enjoy, and without needing to feel like we MUST explain ourselves. 

~Abraham Lincoln

~Edmund Burke

TurboDan

Quote from: veeman on October 14, 2013, 06:41:29 AM
i don't find RVs that much of a nuisance.  Almost always you see them on an interstate highway in either the right lane or center lane. 

Exactly. Of all the things that have annoyed me on our nation's highways, RVs have never been one of them. And I used to drive between NJ and FL frequently with a million of them on I-95. Like you said, they're usually in the right lane rolling along. I've never seen one left-lane camping.

Quote from: Rupert on October 15, 2013, 02:40:30 PM
Well obviously, but there's still effort involved in winterizing the thing even if you don't mind it parked in your front yard.

Sounds like Tony lives in the country, so he probably has a lot of space to store the thing. As far as winterization, if it's anything like I do with the boat, it's a pretty quick and simple process. Run antifreeze through the pumps for a few minutes and you're good to go.

Quote from: Catman on October 15, 2013, 08:03:21 PM

Seriously. For all of the complaining about the "big penis" contest with RVs, all the guys ragging on Tony's truck and its towing capacity seem to be doing the same thing, only worse.

TurboDan

FlatBlackCaddy

Cross drilled rotors aka warp fasts.

If those rotors warp on you, skip the cross drilled next time and get a good set of solid(non drilled/slotted) rotors. If you want to splurge get some cryo treated rotors.

Tave

Quote from: Rupert on October 13, 2013, 03:30:28 PM
Yeah, I've towed more with less.

I just have a vendetta against dick-mobile RVs.

I don't think I'd hate them as much as I do if I hadn't grown up near Yellowstone and had to deal with them clogging the mountain roads every summer.

The moment you see an RV in the Rockies with a Florida plate on it, you can kiss your sanity goodbye.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.