2015 Mustang Conceptualized Below is Said to Look Like "The Real Thing"

Started by Atomic, October 15, 2013, 01:47:35 PM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Raza

You're telling me there's no way to strap a car seat to the rear strut brace?
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

MX793

Looks like the beltline went up (or the sideglass got shorter).  My big fear is that this thing is going to have Camaro-esque sight lines.  I'd like to see some side-by-side image comparisons.  The current car's sight lines aren't the best I've encountered, but are worlds better than the Camaro.  Hopefully it's an optical illusion caused by the more aggressively raked windshield (and the angle of the photos).

I like the profile shape.  I think the back end actually looks better than the current car.  The back end doesn't seem quite as vast.  I think that the tail lamps that don't taper at the outboard ends help a great deal in masking that.  I'm undecided on the front end.  It's better than the 2013+ front end, but I'm not sure if I like it better than the '10-'12 front end.  The headlights seem a bit small, but that may also be the photo.  I'll reserve final judgement for better pictures and/or an in the flesh inspection, but overall I'm liking it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

SVT666

The front end is too "Fusion" for me.  I dig the rear though, but the roofline looks like it will make the rear seat completely useless.

MrH

2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

GoCougs

Quote from: MrH on December 03, 2013, 04:55:45 PM
I'm hearing more than 200 lb weight savings.

Gonna have to see that to believe it. Though there aren't many I can't find any front engine/V8 RWD coupe of any price that is 3,300 - 3,400 lbs save for the C7 at 3,298 lbs. Even many of the V6 coupes - Accord, Altima, Genesis, etc., are above 3,400 lbs. (and they're obviously either smaller and/or FWD plus with lighter motors).

MX793

Accord, Altima, and Genesis are all on platforms designed to support larger vehicles.  The Accord's platform also supports a minivan, the Altima is platform-mates with the larger Maxima (as well as the Murano crossover SUV), and the Genesis coupe was scaled down from the full-size Genesis sedan chassis (much like the Challenger and Camaro, both of which are quite heavy).  Mustang is on its own platform, so they can better optimize the weight.

Current V6 Mustang is ~3450 lbs and the V8 is ~200 lbs heavier.  So that would put the new one at around 3450-3500 lbs for the V8, which I don't think it unreasonably light.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

12,000 RPM

Quote from: GoCougs on December 03, 2013, 05:06:43 PM
Gonna have to see that to believe it. Though there aren't many I can't find any front engine/V8 RWD coupe of any price that is 3,300 - 3,400 lbs save for the C7 at 3,298 lbs. Even many of the V6 coupes - Accord, Altima, Genesis, etc., are above 3,400 lbs. (and they're obviously either smaller and/or FWD plus with lighter motors).
Look at it this way. Miata, FR-S, bespoke platforms. They would not gain 500, 600, 700lb just from a V8. 911 is still ~3,000lbs while its competition, even w/6 cylinders, weighs hundreds of lbs more. With smart design and no restrictions/sharing cars can definitely be lighter. There is no reason for my car to weigh ~3300lb for example, but if it were lighter it couldn't be transformed into an SUV.

I'm definitely skeptical as well due to it being a domestic and it being at a very low price point, but it's possible. Ford's been having a good run and the Rustang is a halo car so they can throw some money behind it to show its prowess. Plus the competition has stepped up majorly. Hell, last time we got an all new Mustang its only real competition was the 350Z. So they kind of have to up the ante to stay relevant.

Mustangfan2003

Well the price of the car is going up.  I believe the base model will be in the $25k range.  I really hope that Ford makes some other cars off of this platform.  Lincoln needs a rwd car more than a plant needs sunlight. 

MrH

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 03, 2013, 05:23:42 PM
Look at it this way. Miata, FR-S, bespoke platforms. They would not gain 500, 600, 700lb just from a V8. 911 is still ~3,000lbs while its competition, even w/6 cylinders, weighs hundreds of lbs more. With smart design and no restrictions/sharing cars can definitely be lighter. There is no reason for my car to weigh ~3300lb for example, but if it were lighter it couldn't be transformed into an SUV.

I'm definitely skeptical as well due to it being a domestic and it being at a very low price point, but it's possible. Ford's been having a good run and the Rustang is a halo car so they can throw some money behind it to show its prowess. Plus the competition has stepped up majorly. Hell, last time we got an all new Mustang its only real competition was the 350Z. So they kind of have to up the ante to stay relevant.

That's not a fair comparison though.  You can't drop a V8 in a BRZ and say, "look, it didn't gain 700 lbs".  There's so much more that goes into than just taking on the extra weight of the motor.  Everything goes up in size.  Axles, brakes, differential, fluids, gas tank, etc.  When you move up in power, everything else must accommodate it too.

Having said that though, given how old the chassis was, I think 200+ lbs off is possible.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Eye of the Tiger

Quote from: Mustangfan2003 on December 03, 2013, 06:13:36 PM
Well the price of the car is going up.  I believe the base model will be in the $25k range.  I really hope that Ford makes some other cars off of this platform.  Lincoln needs a rwd car more than a plant needs sunlight.

Noooooooooooo

Maybe big discounts on the old model?
2008 TUNDRA (Truck Ultra-wideband Never-say-die Daddy Rottweiler Awesome)

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on December 03, 2013, 05:14:16 PM
Accord, Altima, and Genesis are all on platforms designed to support larger vehicles.  The Accord's platform also supports a minivan, the Altima is platform-mates with the larger Maxima (as well as the Murano crossover SUV), and the Genesis coupe was scaled down from the full-size Genesis sedan chassis (much like the Challenger and Camaro, both of which are quite heavy).  Mustang is on its own platform, so they can better optimize the weight.

Current V6 Mustang is ~3450 lbs and the V8 is ~200 lbs heavier.  So that would put the new one at around 3450-3500 lbs for the V8, which I don't think it unreasonably light.

Platform isn't a chassis though. You're not going to get a materially lighter Altima, Accord, Genesis, etc., at today's tech without significant investment in materials and design, which the price point doesn't support.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 03, 2013, 05:23:42 PM

Yes, they would gain that much, as evidenced by the Mustang GT, Corvette, E90 M3, and even the V6 coupes like the Genesis V6. In fact I cannot find a V6 or V8 RWD coupe that weighs less than the 3,300 lb C7 at any price point (even the Aston Martin V8 Vantage). Jesus, even the $250,000 mid-engine F458 weight 3,274 lbs. (= There is EVERY reason why your car should weigh what it does.)

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on December 03, 2013, 08:32:23 PM
Yes, they would gain that much, as evidenced by the Mustang GT, Corvette, E90 M3, and even the V6 coupes like the Genesis V6. In fact I cannot find a V6 or V8 RWD coupe that weighs less than the 3,300 lb C7 at any price point (even the Aston Martin V8 Vantage). Jesus, even the $250,000 mid-engine F458 weight 3,274 lbs. (= There is EVERY reason why your car should weigh what it does.)

No 6 cylinder RWD coupes weighing less than 3300 lbs?  You aren't looking very hard.  The 911 Carrera has a 3000 lbs curb weight.  The Cayman is 2900 lbs.  BMW 128i coupe is 3200 lbs.

The SN95 Mustang GT weighed 3350 lbs.  That was without today's lighter, high strength steel construction or aluminum body panels.  Yes, newer safety regulations are going to drive the weight up some, but a 3450 lb V8 Mustang (which is 200 lbs less than the current GT) is entirely believable if they took the effort to optimize it.
Needs more Jiggawatts

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on December 03, 2013, 08:25:35 PM
Platform isn't a chassis though. You're not going to get a materially lighter Altima, Accord, Genesis, etc., at today's tech without significant investment in materials and design, which the price point doesn't support.

Altima, Accord, and Genesis all have commonality with heavier vehicles, which require heavier duty parts or design features (which are shared).  They aren't as optimized for their size.  Whenever a platform is shared amongst larger and smaller vehicles, the smaller ones always end up heavier than they could be.  It's why the original 350Z was such a porker (weighed nearly as much as a Mustang GT of the day) and why the MkV Golf (shared platform with the Passat) was considerably heavier than the other compact cars of that generation.  It's why the Challenger weighs over 2 tons and the Camaro is a couple of hundred pounds heavier than the S197 Mustang despite not being that much larger.
Needs more Jiggawatts

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on December 03, 2013, 08:49:58 PM
No 6 cylinder RWD coupes weighing less than 3300 lbs?  You aren't looking very hard.  The 911 Carrera has a 3000 lbs curb weight.  The Cayman is 2900 lbs.  BMW 128i coupe is 3200 lbs.

The SN95 Mustang GT weighed 3350 lbs.  That was without today's lighter, high strength steel construction or aluminum body panels.  Yes, newer safety regulations are going to drive the weight up some, but a 3450 lb V8 Mustang (which is 200 lbs less than the current GT) is entirely believable if they took the effort to optimize it.

I stipulated V6 or V8 ;). There are none, at any price point, that I can find, less than 3,300 lbs (well, the 2013 Z06 is 3,150 lbs but that doesn't quite count as it's no longer made). Sporty should stop being dismayed.

The SN95 was a much smaller car sitting on a much lower quality chassis that had roots back into the '70s.

12,000 RPM

911, Cayman, Boxster, 1 series, and to my surprise my Z and the 370Z are all under 3300 lbs. In the case of the Porsches well under.

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on December 03, 2013, 08:57:19 PM
Altima, Accord, and Genesis all have commonality with heavier vehicles, which require heavier duty parts or design features (which are shared).  They aren't as optimized for their size.  Whenever a platform is shared amongst larger and smaller vehicles, the smaller ones always end up heavier than they could be.  It's why the original 350Z was such a porker (weighed nearly as much as a Mustang GT of the day) and why the MkV Golf (shared platform with the Passat) was considerably heavier than the other compact cars of that generation.  It's why the Challenger weighs over 2 tons and the Camaro is a couple of hundred pounds heavier than the S197 Mustang despite not being that much larger.

Sure they're optimized. Honda builds 300,000+ Accords a year. Plenty of scale to be able to optimize, and looking at specs, it looks pretty damned good - V6 coupe w/MT at 189" long (bigger than a Mustang) is 3,397 lbs. Some things are set by sharing a platform, such as suspension type or maybe wheelbase, but most everything else is definitely optimized for the application. It has to be, esp. concerning modern design via FEA and costing.

The SN95 was flimsy and had fewer gears and a live axle.

The Challenger and Camaro are heavier because they're big with a LOT of sheet metal. In their current forms designed from the ground up they'd be about as heavy as they are. The large V8 2+2 coupes at far higher price points are 3,800 - 4,000 lbs, though there aren't many.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 03, 2013, 09:21:40 PM
911, Cayman, Boxster, 1 series, and to my surprise my Z and the 370Z are all under 3300 lbs. In the case of the Porsches well under.

Um, add a driveshaft, separate tranny and diff, and V6 instead of a flat 6, to the Porches and they're gonna gain 200-300 lbs easily. Now you're left with very small cars simply a bunch of $$$ in materials that is NOT going to be supported at pony car price points. The 1er is tiny 3.0L I6, and DQ'd under my original premise (V6 or V8). 350Z is ~3,400 lbs and 370Z is ~3,300 lbs depending on options.

12,000 RPM

VQ35DE 350Z is ~3250# max and as light as 3100#.

Weight matters. Lightness goes a long way in generating driving pleasure, unless all you care about is dick stroking performance figures.

GoCougs

Nah, the 350Z is 3,300 - 3,400 in M/T guise. Simply research the myriad road tests that list curb weight.

Weight matters naught. Just enjoy your car. 

12,000 RPM

O I enjoy my car. I have been blasting back and forth between LI and BK all week. It was a real gem on the drive up from NC. The only better mix of grand touring + performance for 10K now was the M3 that slipped through my hands.

But bottom line there are a few V6 (flat six is a 180 degree V) coupes under 3300lb including my Z and various permutations of the current one. So the idea that the Mustang couldn't cut weight is a little absurd. In any case we will see when the specs come out.

GoCougs

You are a bit nuts with this weight thing and it compels you to make things up.

Also, less block material in a flat engine vs. V engine.

12,000 RPM

What have I made up? You were wrong about the weights of the cars, period... I just corrected you. There are 350Zs that are well under 3200lbs and 370Zs well under 3300lbs. Weight is important. There is no downside, performance wise, to a car weighing less. If I could have bought a lighter car in the same performance envelope I would have. Supercomputers and horsepower can't compensate for low weight, as confirmed by my GT-R drive.

And you are right about the flat vs V, flat engines don't have/need balance shafts. Still though, exhaust piping, balance shafts and a driveshaft hardly account for the hundreds of lbs difference between the Z and Cayman.

SVT666

Weight is very important, but weight can be mostly offset with suspension and chassis tuning.  But, no amount of tuning gets rid of the heavy "feeling" heavy cars have.  The GT-R I drove felt heavy and I said so in my review of it.  Despite being agile and defying physics in the corners, you feel every pound.  I don't like that.

GoCougs

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on December 04, 2013, 05:59:10 AM
What have I made up? You were wrong about the weights of the cars, period... I just corrected you. There are 350Zs that are well under 3200lbs and 370Zs well under 3300lbs. Weight is important. There is no downside, performance wise, to a car weighing less. If I could have bought a lighter car in the same performance envelope I would have. Supercomputers and horsepower can't compensate for low weight, as confirmed by my GT-R drive.

And you are right about the flat vs V, flat engines don't have/need balance shafts. Still though, exhaust piping, balance shafts and a driveshaft hardly account for the hundreds of lbs difference between the Z and Cayman.

The (stock) 350Z has never been anything close to under 3,200 lbs. Put the anxiety aside and just enjoy it:

C&D: 3,322 lb
C&D: 3,360 lb
Edmunds:  3,325 lb

Why do you ignore things? As I said there's a lot more weight savings in mid/read flat engine mounting than just less metal in the block: no drive shaft and tansaxle is lighter than a separate tranny and diff. Bet your last dollar Porsche is getting ~200 lbs weight savings from it.

SVT666

GoCougs

Hmmm. They didn't quite know what to do with the retro styling, the inherent trap of such a thing esp. since the 2nd gen Mustang wasn't worth aping. The current car looks better.