2015 Mustang Conceptualized Below is Said to Look Like "The Real Thing"

Started by Atomic, October 15, 2013, 01:47:35 PM

FoMoJo

Quote from: r0tor on January 01, 2014, 05:09:43 PM
Its amazing how many super cars out there can launch superbly with an IRS... solid axle is worthless
Aren't most of them AWD now?
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FoMoJo on January 01, 2014, 07:07:01 PM
Aren't most of them AWD now?
Naw, they just have big tires and launch control. I would actually argue that AWD is useless in a supercar....
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

GoCougs

Quote from: 280Z Turbo on January 01, 2014, 05:23:02 PM
Eh, most supercars aren't that fast in the quarter mile.

lol - super cars (and cars that are far less so such as the GT-R and 911 Turbo) are now breaking into the 10s...

GoCougs

Its amazing how many super cars out there can launch superbly with an IRS... solid axle is worthless

Solid axle = cheap out.

I'm not sure what Ford's problems are with IRS. First, the Mustang is 10 years late to the party, and now that it has arrived, somehow Ford couldn't do it without adding ~3" to rear track making the car look bit like a turtle.

FlatBlackCaddy

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 01, 2014, 07:25:05 PM
Naw, they just have big tires and launch control. I would actually argue that AWD is useless in a supercar....

Is that meant to be sarcastic?

I hope so.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: FlatBlackCaddy on January 01, 2014, 09:54:11 PM
Is that meant to be sarcastic?

I hope so.
Messes up the balance, adds weight, interferes with steering feel. No thx

Soup DeVille

Solid axles still work better for drags. But, by the time somebody has built a drag car fast enough for it to matter, they've done a crap load of fabricating already (and likely needed an IHRA chassis sticker too).

Guys that go to that length; well, they don't give a damn about ordering bolt in parts from Ford.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on January 01, 2014, 08:17:20 PM
lol - super cars (and cars that are far less so such as the GT-R and 911 Turbo) are now breaking into the 10s...

Which puts them- on a drag strip- in the same class as Bubba with his fo-fiddy-fo Nova down the street.

Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Soup DeVille

The stresses put on the driveline are quite different for an AWD with traction control on street tires than on a RWD on wrinkle walls where traction control is outlawed.

Plus, there's the fact that internal parts for the nine incher are plentiful and relatively easy to change, right down to the gear ratios. I can understand why a serious weekend racer would want one, I just don't see why he'd care whether he got it from Ford or from any of the many dozens of shops that build race axles that are going to offer it anyways. 

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 02, 2014, 05:50:36 AM
Messes up the balance, adds weight, interferes with steering feel. No thx

We're talking about supercars here, right?  No one who buys them cares about that shit.  They want autopilot, but will settle for "race bred" automatic transmissions and stability control for the time being. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on January 02, 2014, 08:49:44 AM
We're talking about supercars here, right?  No one who buys them cares about that shit.  They want autopilot, but will settle for "race bred" automatic transmissions and stability control for the time being.
And nobody here cares about your beef with supercar owners.... yet, you persist.

Paddle shift gearboxes DO enable drivers to get way more out of high performance cars on the track. Stability control does the same as well. Your philosophical conflicts with those technologies don't change that. If you want a no holds barred whatever build a Factory Five Cobra. Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche owe you nothing.

MX793

Quote from: GoCougs on January 01, 2014, 08:22:35 PM
Solid axle = cheap out.

I'm not sure what Ford's problems are with IRS. First, the Mustang is 10 years late to the party, and now that it has arrived, somehow Ford couldn't do it without adding ~3" to rear track making the car look bit like a turtle.

What makes you think the increase in track was an unintended consequence of the IRS?
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 02, 2014, 09:58:52 AM
And nobody here cares about your beef with supercar owners.... yet, you persist.

Paddle shift gearboxes DO enable drivers to get way more out of high performance cars on the track. Stability control does the same as well. Your philosophical conflicts with those technologies don't change that. If you want a no holds barred whatever build a Factory Five Cobra. Ferrari, Lambo, Porsche owe you nothing.

I never said it did nor did I say that they did.  Supercar makers are building cars for their target audiences, most of which don't get the "true" benefit of those technologies.  You say faster shifting at the track--the reality is that they take less concentration to drive on the road and you never stall and look silly.  You say stability control gets you faster lap times--in reality it keeps people from spinning because they're driving a car that's way more capable than they are.  But I wouldn't ask companies to build cars that wouldn't sell.

Nor will I refrain from voicing an opinion because it annoys you. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

S204STi

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 30, 2013, 10:40:29 PM
That's handy, because clearly there's no way else to get a 9 inch rear end from any other place cheaper.

:lol:

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on January 02, 2014, 10:34:05 AM
What makes you think the increase in track was an unintended consequence of the IRS?

Increasing track by ~3" adds weight and decreases aero.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Raza  on January 02, 2014, 11:01:01 AM
I never said it did nor did I say that they did.  Supercar makers are building cars for their target audiences, most of which don't get the "true" benefit of those technologies.  You say faster shifting at the track--the reality is that they take less concentration to drive on the road and you never stall and look silly.  You say stability control gets you faster lap times--in reality it keeps people from spinning because they're driving a car that's way more capable than they are.  But I wouldn't ask companies to build cars that wouldn't sell.

Nor will I refrain from voicing an opinion because it annoys you.
No, the reality is still faster shifting at the track and faster lap times. Whether or not the buyers of the cars use these capabilities in their element is another matter, but more importantly not really relevant to this thread/discussion. AFAIK all Mustangs will still be available with good old 3 pedal manuals, along with pretty much every car you will ever want/be able to afford. So to ask why you are bringing up completely unrelated cars/buyers/gripes in this thread seems like a pretty valid query. Not to mention the fact that your gripes are a little silly.

Raza

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 02, 2014, 12:09:28 PM
No, the reality is still faster shifting at the track and faster lap times. Whether or not the buyers of the cars use these capabilities in their element is another matter, but more importantly not really relevant to this thread/discussion. AFAIK all Mustangs will still be available with good old 3 pedal manuals, along with pretty much every car you will ever want/be able to afford. So to ask why you are bringing up completely unrelated cars/buyers/gripes in this thread seems like a pretty valid query. Not to mention the fact that your gripes are a little silly.

I didn't start the discussion on supercars--you were the one who made a comment about balance, weight, and steering feel on supercars, so don't act like I brought them up out of the blue.  Then you challenge me as to why I responded to your claim?  Come on, Sporty, that's starting an irrelevant argument than dismissing a counterpoint because the argument was irrelevant to begin with, even though you're the one who started it.  You're being ridiculous.

And the reality of the matter is exactly as I stated it.  Yes, if you were to, for example, add bluetooth to a dildo, you could sync your phone up to your dildo, but in reality, it's still just something you stick in your pussy when you're lonely and horny.  Doesn't make it any more versatile.  Unless you can control it with your phone....hmm, business idea....

But that's what we're talking about.  You're saying it can do something, I'm saying what it really does.  I have never once disputed that fancy automatics shift faster than a manual--not once--though your arguments hinge on pretending that I have.

Before you attempt to berate me for discussing something again, you should make sure that you're not the one who brought it up. 

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on January 02, 2014, 11:43:48 AM

And there are a dozen different reasons for them to do so. Assuming that had to because of the IRS is silly.

GoCougs

Quote from: Soup DeVille on January 02, 2014, 12:20:25 PM
And there are a dozen different reasons for them to do so. Assuming that had to because of the IRS is silly.

Adding 3" to rear track so altered the look and size of the car that I don't buy that it was anything but an unintentional byproduct:

12,000 RPM

There are plenty of RWD IRS cars with significantly narrower rear tracks. The idea that it was a byproduct and not intentional is ridiculous.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: GoCougs on January 02, 2014, 12:33:58 PM
Adding 3" to rear track so altered the look and size of the car that I don't buy that it was anything but an unintentional byproduct:

Or, an intentional styling decision. Or, it simply handled better being a little wider. Ford has made narrower IRS vehicles in the past. Really, it's ridiculous to think they couldn't have made a narrower track IRS vehicle. This is the only domestic manufacturer with an extensive Formula One history, and I don't see many live axle F1 cars around.

SVT666

Quote from: GoCougs on January 02, 2014, 11:43:48 AM
They added the 3" in track for cornering stability.  Everything is explained here:

Talking 2015 Ford Mustang! Wide Open Throttle Ep. 90

GoCougs

Nailed it - it's an integrated link style IRS, which has the suspension links bolted to a sub carrier rather than the car, which says it's a parts bin special, and at present any Ford car with powered IRS is big - MKZ, Aussie Falcon, etc. Mustang forum scuttlebutt points to new MKZ/Fusion as the donor.

MX793

Or they widened the track to ensure they could fit the car with sufficiently wide tires.  As it stands, the Mustang is under-tired compared to the Camaro (by at least 20mm, comparable model to comparable model).  The GT500 with 600+ hp has only 285 width tires on the rear whereas the ZL1 is wearing 305s.  Camaro SSes have 275s while the widest you can get on a Mustang GT is 255.  And the current Mustang's rear track is an inch or more narrower than the Camaro's.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

Cobra93

Or maybe they did it so they could dial in tons of positive camber like they did on the S197's live rear axle  ;)

GoCougs

Quote from: MX793 on January 02, 2014, 02:20:33 PM
Or they widened the track to ensure they could fit the car with sufficiently wide tires.  As it stands, the Mustang is under-tired compared to the Camaro (by at least 20mm, comparable model to comparable model).  The GT500 with 600+ hp has only 285 width tires on the rear whereas the ZL1 is wearing 305s.  Camaro SSes have 275s while the widest you can get on a Mustang GT is 255.  And the current Mustang's rear track is an inch or more narrower than the Camaro's.

I'm gonna guess probably not for wider tires, as there are cars of similar or smaller size to the Mustang that have similar or smaller rear track widths and same or wider rear tires; Corvette (62.9", 285), Viper (61", 355), e9x M3 (60.6", 255). Also, the Camaro has a 1.5" narrower rear track than the 2015 Mustang (63.7" vs. 64.9").

Ford chose tires for the S197 Mustang for a holistic reason, and it wasn't because they couldn't fit bigger meats.

GoCougs

Quote from: Cobra93 on January 02, 2014, 03:39:14 PM
Or maybe they did it so they could dial in tons of positive camber like they did on the S197's live rear axle  ;)

So you know what suspension camber is? I would like for you to explain how that's gonna happen with a live rear axle.

Cobra93

Quote from: GoCougs on January 02, 2014, 04:15:06 PM
So you know what suspension camber is? I would like for you to explain how that's gonna happen with a live rear axle.
Maybe you should go back to the eleventh post on page 5 and get back to me on that one....  :ohyeah:

GoCougs

Quote from: Cobra93 on January 02, 2014, 04:21:26 PM
Maybe you should go back to the eleventh post on page 5 and get back to me on that one....  :ohyeah:

Do you know what a live rear axle is?

12,000 RPM