2015 Dodge/SRT Brand Challenger Thread

Started by Atomic, November 06, 2013, 05:17:23 PM

12,000 RPM

I think the Camaro and Mustang are awesome. And yea they are all way better than their predecessors. But the Challenger is a bit of a pig. Needs to lose some weight. Notice how there is no Challenger to do battle with the likes of the ZL1 or Boss 302. There should be, but that is not doable on the LX platform.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Payman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 11, 2014, 02:32:00 PM
I think the Camaro and Mustang are awesome. And yea they are all way better than their predecessors. But the Challenger is a bit of a pig. Needs to lose some weight. Notice how there is no Challenger to do battle with the likes of the ZL1 or Boss 302. There should be, but that is not doable on the LX platform.

Nobody buys a Camaro or Mustang for track duty. Neglecting the Challenger because it's not an equal track car is silly. Yeah, it's a heavy car, but it wouldn't exist at all if they couldn't build it off the 300/Charger platform. Like I said, I'm happy it exists and I'd love to have one, moreso than either the 'Stang or Camaro. It's just sooooo firkin cool.

SVT32V

Quote from: Rockraven on July 11, 2014, 10:59:18 AM
"Similarly, with its production tires, the Hellcat runs the quarter in 11.2 seconds at 125 mph, also certified."  That's still almost a half second quicker than the ~500 lb lighter Viper. If you're not impressed, I don't know what to do for you.

Not much under $100K will run 125 mph in the quarter mile, c6ZR1, trinity GT500 and the lighter version of the C6ZO6 need only apply.

Catman

I think the Hellcat would be a blast to drive. Not every car needs to pull 1.2 g's on a skid pad.  Muscle cars are fun.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: Rockraven on July 11, 2014, 02:36:37 PM
Nobody buys a Camaro or Mustang for track duty.

Lol

http://www.scca.com/clubracing/content.cfm?cid=44726

QuoteSEDAN

American SedanĀ® (AS), comprised of Chevrolet Camaros, Pontiac Firebirds and Ford Mustangs, are production-based chassis with modified suspensions and brakes. Engines are carbureted 302 and 305 CID V-8s that have been balanced and blueprinted.

Not to be a dick, but yea, plenty of people take Rustangs and Camaros to the track. Even if they don't though, my point is the Mustang and Camaro have a wider range of ability and performance than the Challenger for the same money and running costs. The Challenger is inferior, period.

Galaxy

The MSRP for the Hellcat is U$ 59,995.

Rupert

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 12, 2014, 01:10:51 PM
Lol

http://www.scca.com/clubracing/content.cfm?cid=44726

Not to be a dick, but yea, plenty of people take Rustangs and Camaros to the track. Even if they don't though, my point is the Mustang and Camaro have a wider range of ability and performance than the Challenger for the same money and running costs. The Challenger is inferior, period.

But it looks way cooler, and with this class of cars, that's pretty important to me.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

MX793

Challenger is really a proper, 2-door musclecar.  Camaro and Mustang are pony cars.  While it sort of competes with the Camaro and Mustang, I think it ultimately attracts a different kind of buyer.  Somebody who wants something a little roomier and a little more laid back while still offering up big power and cool, retro styling.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

MrH

I'm all about the Challenger. It knows what it is. Big, bad ass muscle car.

The Mustang and Camaro try to be good at everything, and end up excelling at nothing. Not the fastest, definitely not the most connected, not the best handling.  Give me a big, unapologetic, crazy plum hell cat instead.
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

Payman

Quote from: MrH on July 17, 2014, 09:15:48 PM

The Mustang and Camaro try to be good at everything, and end up excelling at nothing. Not the fastest, definitely not the most connected, not the best handling.  Give me a big, unapologetic, crazy plum hell cat instead.

I think you explained this perfectly for me. The Challenger is the most honest of the 3. No apologies, and none needed.

hotrodalex

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on July 17, 2014, 09:15:48 PM

Lol.... what are faster than the Mustang/Camaro V8s for the same money? And with the Boss 302/1LE packages they handle pretty well. Anything for the money that handles better is a lot slower, and nothing for the money is faster. So they excel at delivering on performance per dollar. Is it the most refined or tactile performance? No, but what can you expect with 400+ HP for $30K?

Challenger takes everything bad about the Mustang/Camaro and turns it up by 25-50%. Worse handling, bigger, heavier.... I'm not gonna give it a pass because it looks more badass. If FCA can get it closer to the Camaro/Mustang, both of which look to be stepping their game up big time next go round, I think they will do well. The original Challenger was not that much bigger than the Camaro/Mustang from what Ive seen.

SVT32V

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 19, 2014, 04:10:11 AM
Lol.... what are faster than the Mustang/Camaro V8s for the same money? And with the Boss 302/1LE packages they handle pretty well. Anything for the money that handles better is a lot slower, and nothing for the money is faster. So they excel at delivering on performance per dollar. Is it the most refined or tactile performance? No, but what can you expect with 400+ HP for $30K?

Challenger takes everything bad about the Mustang/Camaro and turns it up by 25-50%. Worse handling, bigger, heavier.... I'm not gonna give it a pass because it looks more badass. If FCA can get it closer to the Camaro/Mustang, both of which look to be stepping their game up big time next go round, I think they will do well. The original Challenger was not that much bigger than the Camaro/Mustang from what Ive seen.

Sporty gets it, looking at the last lightning lap, hard to argue the performance of the two pony cars is not astounding.

But Mr. H is consistent in his taste, the car he picked in real life is a "good handling" car that is in todays terms not all that fast. Much like the hellcat is a straightline monster he picked handling over speed.

MX793

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on July 19, 2014, 04:10:11 AM

The original Challenger was definitely more of a pony car than muscle car (where Dodge had the Charger).  The new car sort of splits the difference.  The styling is a throwback to the original Challenger, but the size and character are more in line with the original Charger.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

hotrodalex

While the new "Charger" is a 4 door abomination.

(Which is an awesome car, the name just doesn't fit in the historical context)

GoCougs

So what's wrong with the Challenger? I'm a big Mopar muscle car fan but never been much into the E-bodies ('Cuda/Barracuda, Challenger) but I do like the current Challenger.

MrH

Quote from: SVT32V on July 19, 2014, 01:09:29 PM
Sporty gets it, looking at the last lightning lap, hard to argue the performance of the two pony cars is not astounding.

But Mr. H is consistent in his taste, the car he picked in real life is a "good handling" car that is in todays terms not all that fast. Much like the hellcat is a straightline monster he picked handling over speed.

:confused:

Yeah, I like the BRZ for what it is, which is dynamically the best car you can get under $30k.  If I'm going to get a muscle car, handling be damned, I want something loud and absurdly powerful.

I just view the mustang and camaro as both trying to be the best at everything, and they fall short in every category to some other vehicle at there.  I appreciate the Challenger for what it is:  A giant boat with cool styling and a ton of power.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Previous: '02 Mazda Protege5, '08 Mazda Miata, '05 Toyota Tacoma, '09 Honda Element, '13 Subaru BRZ, '14 Hyundai Genesis R-Spec 5.0, '15 Toyota 4Runner SR5, '18 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0t, '01 Honda S2000, '20 Subaru Outback XT, '23 Chevy Bolt EUV

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on July 21, 2014, 11:34:47 AM
:confused:

Yeah, I like the BRZ for what it is, which is dynamically the best car you can get under $30k.  If I'm going to get a muscle car, handling be damned, I want something loud and absurdly powerful.

I just view the mustang and camaro as both trying to be the best at everything, and they fall short in every category to some other vehicle at there.  I appreciate the Challenger for what it is:  A giant boat with cool styling and a ton of power.
So a car should focus on one performance category and that's it?  What other car that comes close to the price tag of the Mustang and Camaro is anywhere near as good as either of them?

MrH

Quote from: SVT666 on July 21, 2014, 11:36:43 AM
So a car should focus on one performance category and that's it?  What other car that comes close to the price tag of the Mustang and Camaro is anywhere near as good as either of them?

There's a car better in nearly every category, depending on what you want.

I'm not saying cars should or should not focus on one thing.  Rather, I just don't like the Mustang and Camaro for trying to be a jack of all trades, and end up being a master of none.  I greatly prefer the Challenger for that reason.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on July 21, 2014, 11:40:24 AM
There's a car better in nearly every category, depending on what you want.
What are they?

SVT666

The 2015 Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat might sell out just as fast as it can run the quarter mile. A new report indicates Dodge is planning to cap Hellcat sales at just 1,200 units.

Dodge hasn't officially announced sales targets for the new Challenger Hellcat, but a company insider revealed to Edmunds that the final figure will be 1,200 units. If true, the Hellcat's $60,990 MSRP would be in serious jeopardy as dealers will undoubtedly demand a premium for the limited-edition model.

For its part, Dodge says it is still determining the right mix for the Hellcat.

"We are working on allocation formulas right now and scenarios on how we will allocate it," Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis said. "I can't tell you exactly what we will do. Will we allocate based on past Challenger sales? Will we base it on Challenger V8 sales? On SRT and V8 (combined)?"

Kuniskis added: "Whatever it ends up being somewhere in that group of possibilities it will then be opened up to anybody who is a Dodge dealer."

Dodge has about 2,400 dealers in the United States.

Dodge delivered 51,500 Challengers last year, which means the Hellcat should account for between 2-3 percent of total sales.

MrH

Quote from: SVT666 on July 21, 2014, 11:57:26 AM
What are they?

If I want a car with better dynamics, a BRZ and miata are leagues ahead.  A Challenger Hellcat is more powerful :huh:

Just saying they both represent some pretty serious compromises.  If I'm going to buy a muscle car, I want the most "muscle car"-ish one around, which IMO is the Challenger.
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

Tave

Of the 3, I think I'd prefer the Challenger as well. It seems like the best heavy cruiser of the bunch and beats the other two in coolness factor.
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

12,000 RPM

Quote from: MrH on July 22, 2014, 07:03:39 AM
If I want a car with better dynamics, a BRZ and miata are leagues ahead.  A Challenger Hellcat is more powerful :huh:

Lmao, what Hellcat can you buy for BRZ money? And since when is the Challenger a pure, no-compromise car? Basically what you're saying is, you either want a car that's only good at one thing, or bad at everything... no in between :wtf:

SVT666

Quote from: MrH on July 22, 2014, 07:03:39 AM

Just saying they both represent some pretty serious compromises.  If I'm going to buy a muscle car, I want the most "muscle car"-ish one around, which IMO is the Challenger.
Hellcat is not Mustang money.  For the money, there is no car that is faster, handles better, and looks better than either the Camaro or Mustang...period. 

MrH

If you aren't first, you're last.  Mustang and Camaro are last in the muscle car category :lol:
2019 Acura RDX SH-AWD
2023 BRZ Limited

SVT666

They're both faster in a straight line than the Challenger too. 

12,000 RPM

Quote from: SVT666 on July 22, 2014, 10:47:05 AM
They're both faster in a straight line than the Challenger too.
Challenger has a higher "badass" factor (whatever the fuck that means).