steering rack

Started by AutobahnSHO, November 08, 2013, 02:58:37 PM

AutobahnSHO

So...   changed the oil and rotated the tires, found the boots on both ends of the steering rack were SHOT.   A few weeks back I noticed the steering shudder a bit upon startup but then be ok...

Well, I bought a new rack/pinion ($346 - $125 core), I'll put it on tomorrow. I have "lifetime alignment" from firestone, only question is how much power steering fluid will I need to buy??

Thanks!
Will

Rupert

Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

AutobahnSHO

so used about 2/3 of a quart.   Subaru uses ATF Dexron in the steering, btw. crazy.

Took me 2 hours to get the old rack out (I'm klutzy) but then the tie rod ends were FROOOOOOOZEN on there.

Plus I go to put the new rack back up and the idiot (metal) lines were shaped slightly different so it didn't fit. Car frame in the way.   So thought about bending the lines but thought I'd screw that up so I took them off the old one and threw them onto the new one. Hour wasted, they were stuck on there pretty good also.

Finished it all up with minutes to spare before the self-help garage closed. 

Took it in for alignment this morning, of course the front was way off, but surprisingly they adjusted the back (camber and tiny amount of toe?) too. I mean, I rotated the tires too but still!
Will

Rupert

Both the Alfa and the 944 use Dexron in the PS system.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

S204STi

Dexron is a hydraulic fluid, pretty much everyone uses atf or a variation of it in p/s systems.

Also, tires don't impact alignment... other way around.