Started by Morris Minor, November 24, 2013, 04:15:37 PM

Laconian

Now that's the tail wagging the dog.
Kia EV6 GT-Line / MX-5 RF 6MT

GoCougs

Quote from: hounddog on November 25, 2013, 09:24:38 PM
Yes. 

Yes.  People are accountable for their actions.  :huh:

Actually, it is more the LE roadway than yours. 

Yes, accountable for blocking my roadway ;). The "sheep" are right on this, to demand on-the-spot accountability, albeit it's probably not very effective. LE is generally and chronically not so good in in their accountability for traffic flow on the roadway.

That's my point; that LE thinks it's "their" roadway. Nothing supports that mentality in practice; WtP pay for the roadway, WtP pay LE salaries, and WtP elect the city/county/state council that controls LE.

Soup DeVille

And there they go out of the gates...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Rupert

Quote from: hounddog on November 25, 2013, 01:22:54 AM
[sigh]

Again, the problem is that even when police used low candle power rotary beacons there were still rubber-neckers resulting in many crashes.

Rubber-necking has always, continues to, will always be an issue even if police use a flashlight on the roof they spin around on a pin by hand.

*sigh* yourself.

I'm not talking about rubber-necking. In normal CarSPIN fashion, I have veered slightly off topic and am now talking about how stupidly bright the new style light bars are, and that is all.

Otherwise, mark me in Cougs' corner for the time being.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

hounddog

Quote from: GoCougs on November 25, 2013, 09:34:43 PM
Yes, accountable for blocking my roadway ;). The "sheep" are right on this, to demand on-the-spot accountability, albeit it's probably not very effective. LE is generally and chronically not so good in in their accountability for traffic flow on the roadway.

That's my point; that LE thinks it's "their" roadway. Nothing supports that mentality in practice; WtP pay for the roadway, WtP pay LE salaries, and WtP elect the city/county/state council that controls LE.
[sigh]

No.

You forget:
Police also are WtP, pay for the roads, pay LE salaries, elect city/county/state/federal "councils". 

On top of that; act as duly appointed and authorized officials representing said city/county/state/federal "councils".
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

hounddog

Quote from: Rupert on November 25, 2013, 10:53:10 PM
*sigh* yourself.

I'm not talking about rubber-necking. In normal CarSPIN fashion, I have veered slightly off topic and am now talking about how stupidly bright the new style light bars are, and that is all.

Otherwise, mark me in Cougs' corner for the time being.
Actually, it is "[sigh]", sport.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
~Abraham Lincoln

"Freedom and not servitude is the cure of anarchy; as religion, and not atheism, is the true remedy of superstition."
~Edmund Burke

Fighting the good fight, one beer at a time.

Byteme

Quote from: hounddog on November 26, 2013, 05:49:54 AM

[sigh]

No.

You forget:
Police also are WtP, pay for the roads, pay LE salaries, elect city/county/state/federal "councils". 

On top of that; act as duly appointed and authorized officials representing said city/county/state/federal "councils".

They are called "PUBLIC ROADS" not police roads or law enforcement roads.  The public paid for them and through their government proxies, own them.  Law enforcement agencies are not tax payers and with the possible exception of fuel taxes contibute nothing to the funding of public road building or road maintenance.  Individuals employed by law enforcement agencies may pay taxes, but when they do so they are acting as private citizens, not in their role as representatives of law enforcement agencies.

Raza

Police also are WtP

That really goes against every us vs. them thing you've said on this site in the past (which is pretty much everything).
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: MiataJohn on November 26, 2013, 08:10:08 AM

They are called "PUBLIC ROADS" not police roads or law enforcement roads.  The public paid for them and through their government proxies, own them.  Law enforcement agencies are not tax payers and with the possible exception of fuel taxes contibute nothing to the funding of public road building or road maintenance.  Individuals employed by law enforcement agencies may pay taxes, but when they do so they are acting as private citizens, not in their role as representatives of law enforcement agencies.

Is it in the public's interest to have police patrolling our roads?
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Byteme

Quote from: Soup DeVille on November 26, 2013, 08:23:02 AM
Is it in the public's interest to have police patrolling our roads?

Just like one might hire someone to trim their hedge, the public has in effect hired some law enforcement agencies to police their roads.

GoCougs

[sigh]

No.

You forget:

You are a subset of WtP, and do so as a citizen, not as an LEO.

In being "appointed" and "authorized" LEOs are a proxy of their bosses who are in turn elected by road-paying WtP.

bing_oh

Quote from: GoCougs on November 25, 2013, 09:34:43 PMYes, accountable for blocking my roadway ;). The "sheep" are right on this, to demand on-the-spot accountability, albeit it's probably not very effective. LE is generally and chronically not so good in in their accountability for traffic flow on the roadway.

Quote from: GoCougs on November 26, 2013, 09:18:47 AMYou are a subset of WtP, and do so as a citizen, not as an LEO.

In being "appointed" and "authorized" LEOs are a proxy of their bosses who are in turn elected by road-paying WtP.

Technically, the State...and, by proxy, the People (capital "P")...own the roadways. As representatives of the State and being authorized to enforce the rules decided upon collectively for the property of the People (ie, laws), LEO's have certain powers over such property and what goes on on such property. I wouldn't necessarily call it "ownership" as Tony has, though I'm at a loss to find a word that describes it sufficiently.

However you, individually, do not own the roadway. Nor do I as a private citizen. It's the collective property of the People, even if we have paid for a portion of it through taxes. You can't choose do do with it whatever you want at a whim. The People have authorized LE to "block" their (not "your") roadway in particular situations that they deem necessary for the good of the State. If you don't like that, you'll have to convince a majority of the rest of the People to change it.

Morris Minor

I still think the all-or-nothing super high intensity of modern lightbars creates more problems than it solves: gaper block being one of the problems.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

Byteme

Quote from: bing_oh on November 26, 2013, 10:08:19 AM
I wouldn't necessarily call it "ownership" as Tony has, though I'm at a loss to find a word that describes it sufficiently.

"Stewardshp:  the activity or job of protecting and being responsible for something" is much closer to what you are looking for. 

bing_oh

Quote from: MiataJohn on November 26, 2013, 01:53:47 PM"Stewardshp:  the activity or job of protecting and being responsible for something" is much closer to what you are looking for. 

Yea, that ain't bad. Closer to the mark, at least.

Rupert

Quote from: hounddog on November 26, 2013, 05:50:35 AM
  Actually, it is "[sigh]", sport.

This is the internet; *sigh* is whatever I want it to be, sucka.
Novarolla-Miata-Trooper-Jeep-Volvo-Trooper-Ranger-MGB-Explorer-944-Fiat-Alfa-XTerra

13 cars, 60 cylinders, 52 manual forward gears and 9 automatic, 2 FWD, 42 doors, 1988 average year of manufacture, 3 convertibles, 22 average mpg, and no wheel covers.
PRO TENACIA NULLA VIA EST INVIA

CJ

Jesus fucking Christ. I'm still confused as to how this argument formed.

NomisR

Quote from: CJ on November 27, 2013, 03:00:31 PM
Jesus fucking Christ. I'm still confused as to how this argument formed.

Complaints about the bright ass lights from police cars.

But even without it in the daytime, people still rubberneck.  You see a car burning on the other side of the freeway?  Slow down to a halt so you can gawk at it.  And proceed to take a picture and post it on facebook...  yes people do this....

These people need to be FUCKING DRAGGED OUT OF THEIR CARS AND SHOT!!!

CJ

That's why I don't understand where the argument comes from. Police lights are bright as shit. What's there to argue about?

dazzleman

Quote from: CJ on November 27, 2013, 04:59:50 PM
That's why I don't understand where the argument comes from. Police lights are bright as shit. What's there to argue about?

People here could argue about anything.  You're just noticing that? :lol:
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

sparkplug

a strobe light hat with a chin strap that policeman can wear on their head.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Byteme

Quote from: NomisR on November 27, 2013, 04:48:40 PM

These people need to be FUCKING DRAGGED OUT OF THEIR CARS AND SHOT!!!

Gawkers at roadside executions will really slow things down.

This might be a better alternative.  Pluck them off the road and drop them in the sea.

bing_oh

Quote from: sparkplug on November 28, 2013, 01:13:11 AMa strobe light hat with a chin strap that policeman can wear on their head.

Dude, strobes are so 1995. Everything's LED now.

NomisR

Quote from: MiataJohn on November 28, 2013, 08:46:15 AM

This might be a better alternative.  Pluck them off the road and drop them in the sea.

+1

LEOs, can you suggest to your bosses to start doing this?  This will help everyone else a lot!

Catman

I see a lot of light bars now that have a steady blue light or one that flashes less frequently.  They are much less intense but still very visible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x7W6qiUwxA&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Morris Minor

Quote from: MiataJohn on November 28, 2013, 08:46:15 AM

I saw a very minor fender bender on the freeway a couple of weeks ago. The two drivers had stopped & were chatting on their cellphones while rush hour traffic clogged up for miles behind them. I should mention they were in the far right lane, adjacent in fact to the gore area of an on-ramp.

Definitely candidates for roadside execution.
⏤  '10 G37 | '21 CX-5 GT Reserve  ⏤
''Simplicity is Complexity Resolved'' - Constantin Brâncuși

12,000 RPM

LED tail lights are an eyesore as well. Makes me want to put my damn shades on at night. All non front facing LED lights should have night modes.
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

TurboDan

Quote from: Raza  on November 25, 2013, 09:32:39 AM
As annoying as those lights are at night, I don't think they really pose any real risk.  The bigger issue is TV screen billboards.

I once wrote a story on one of them that was up for approval here. Turns out they actually put out less light than a traditional billboard with spotlights at night. I find the ones around here to fit in pretty nicely.

TurboDan

Quote from: GoCougs on November 25, 2013, 09:34:43 PM

What do you want the cops to do? Bring up Mapquest on their phone and give directions to everyone? They're there to block a road that is under construction. Adults of driving age should be able to figure out how to go around the block on their own.

dazzleman

Quote from: Morris Minor on December 02, 2013, 01:35:12 PM
I saw a very minor fender bender on the freeway a couple of weeks ago. The two drivers had stopped & were chatting on their cellphones while rush hour traffic clogged up for miles behind them. I should mention they were in the far right lane, adjacent in fact to the gore area of an on-ramp.

Definitely candidates for roadside execution.

Beam me up, Scotty.  There's no intelligent life here.  What idiots.  Why didn't they just move the fucking cars out of the way?  Stupid people infuriate me.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!