Did you know that Yugo........

Started by Mustangfan2003, November 30, 2013, 08:36:10 AM

Colin

Quote from: veeman on December 05, 2013, 08:05:40 AM
I think, unlike in some countries, you can't have ultra cheap new cars in the US because of the cost of required safety features. Airbags (front, side impact, side curtain), anti-lock brakes, stability control, would probably double the cost of a Nano. 
Believe it or not, things like those are actually legal requirements in most of the rest of the world as well.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Colin on December 05, 2013, 11:57:33 AM
Believe it or not, things like those are actually legal requirements in most of the rest of the world as well.

Well, if most doesn't include India, China, Africa, pretty much all of Asia outside of Japan, Eastern Europe...
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Galaxy

Quote from: Colin on December 05, 2013, 11:56:54 AM
NATO?

Err, no.

The Yugo factory was largely destroyed in the Bosnian conflicts in the early 1990s, but I think you will find that it was the Serbs who were officially deemed to be the culprits for the destruction of Bosnia. 

NATO did flatten it though.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/1469035.stm

2o6

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 05, 2013, 01:08:53 PM
Well, if most doesn't include India, China, Africa, pretty much all of Asia outside of Japan, Eastern Europe...

And south america

JWC

Having lived through the early days of Honda, and had a Honda 1200 for a daily driver, the Yugo wasn't any worse of a car. If it had a problem, it was a vehicle that wasn't ahead of its time, but was behind the times.

93JC

Quote from: Colin on December 05, 2013, 11:56:54 AM
NATO?

Err, no.

The Yugo factory was largely destroyed in the Bosnian conflicts in the early 1990s, but I think you will find that it was the Serbs who were officially deemed to be the culprits for the destruction of Bosnia. 

The Yugo factory was in Serbia, not Bosnia. The factory was bombed by NATO in the late '90s. As I understand it there was a weapons factory right next door and that's why NATO bombed the complex.

Fiat bought the factory and Zastava is now Fiat Serbia, where they build the 500L.

ifcar

Quote from: Soup DeVille on December 05, 2013, 01:08:53 PM

Quote from: 2o6 on December 05, 2013, 02:53:06 PM
And south america

An increasing number of countries do have the requirements. Brazil, for instance, which is the largest Latin American market, now requires antilock brakes and frontal airbags. Argentina as well.

sparkplug

That's one of those cars where filling the tank with gas doubles the value of the car.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

cawimmer430

Quote from: sparkplug on February 28, 2014, 12:02:51 AM
That's one of those cars where filling the tank with gas doubles the value of the car.

Imagine the price that a fully-fueled Yugo would fetch in Europe! :lol:
-2018 Mercedes-Benz A250 AMG Line (W177)

WIMMER FOTOGRAFIE - Professional Automotive Photography based in Munich, Germany
www.wimmerfotografie.de
www.facebook.com/wimmerfotografie