Leaf owner arrested for plugging in at school

Started by NomisR, December 04, 2013, 05:23:33 PM

Raza

Quote from: giant_mtb on December 11, 2013, 09:45:43 AM
What do you mean?  Taxes and such fund parks.  Therefore, we get to use and enjoy them.  If you want to start using extra electricity at the park to charge your Leaf, somebody has to pay for it.  Which means taxes go up.  This is why you often have to pay to rent public parks for large events and/or or pay fees for utility use.

Taxes fund public schools, too, that can't be the argument here.  And his kid was at that school, so it's not like he was pulling up to it for no reason. 
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
If you can read this, you're too close

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
http://accelerationtherapy.squarespace.com/   @accelerationdoc
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

Raza

Quote from: bing_oh on December 11, 2013, 06:45:42 PM
A non-issue. Assuming it was a legitimate unlawful warrantless search of his car (and, given that vehicles frequently fall under warrant exceptions, that is not necessarily the case...nor are warrantless searches per se unreasonable or illegal), nothing indicated that anything found in the car is being used against him. The remedy of an unlawful warrantless search is the evidentiary loss of anything recovered. Nothing recovered from the search = no loss.

Wait, so coppers can search cars all willy-nilly now?  I knew they only needed the most bullshittiest of probable causes, but still.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i
Quote from: the Teuton on October 05, 2009, 03:53:18 PMIt's impossible to argue with Raza. He wins. Period. End of discussion.

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on December 12, 2013, 11:58:56 AM
Oh, so all of a sudden, we're for regulation when it comes to outlets?  Very inconsistent. 

ordinance isn't necessarily regulations but simply can be used to clarify what constitutes as free for public use. 

NomisR

Quote from: Raza  on December 12, 2013, 12:30:30 PM
Wait, so coppers can search cars all willy-nilly now?  I knew they only needed the most bullshittiest of probable causes, but still.

I thought they would need permission before they tear apart my car leaving my belongings on the side of the road for me to pick up. 

sparkplug

It's really false advertising to call a car a leaf when it doesn't run on leaves.. heck you can't even plug it into a tree.
Getting stoned, one stone at a time.

Tave

The guy was parked illegally in front of a loading dock with his doors open. The police wanted to ID him so he could move his car. I suppose they could have called a tow truck instead. :huh:
As I write, highly civilized human beings are flying overhead, trying to kill me.

Quote from: thecarnut on March 16, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Depending on price, that could be a good deal.

Soup DeVille

Quote from: Tave on December 13, 2013, 06:22:07 AM
The guy was parked illegally in front of a loading dock with his doors open. The police wanted to ID him so he could move his car. I suppose they could have called a tow truck instead. :huh:

I think that would have been legally preferable.

The door was unlocked, not open.
Maybe we need to start off small. I mean, they don't let you fuck the glumpers at Glumpees without a level 4 FuckPass, do they?

1975 Honda CB750, 1986 Rebel Rascal (sailing dinghy), 2015 Mini Cooper, 2020 Winnebago 31H (E450), 2021 Toyota 4Runner, 2022 Lincoln Aviator

Catman

QuoteAutomobile Exception - Because vehicles are obviously highly mobile, a warrant is not required to search vehicles if police have probable cause to believe the vehicle contains evidence of a crime, the instrumentalities of crime, contraband, or the fruits of a crime. Although commonly referred to as the "automobile exception," this rule applies to any vehicle, including boats. While in some ways, it is quite a broad exception, this rule limits the ability to search those areas which might contain evidence of the type suspected to be present. In other words, if police suspect that the occupant of a boat is smuggling people across the border, searching a small tackle box on board would not be permissible. However, if they were looking for drugs, they could search the tackle box. The rationale is that, if an officer has to take the time to obtain a warrant, the vehicle might be out of reach before the warrant can be issued and executed. See Carroll v. United States, 267 US. 132 (1925).

Raza

Quote from: Tave on December 13, 2013, 06:22:07 AM

Didn't realize he was parked illegally.

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

Raza

2006 BMW Z4 3.0i

NomisR

Catman

Quote from: Raza  on December 13, 2013, 09:51:30 AM
Ah, so it is the probable cause thing.  Which is essentially willy-nilly.

You asked about it and I gave you the answer.  Its been argued a billion times in court, no need for me to get into it.

Catman

Quote from: NomisR on December 13, 2013, 11:10:44 AM
So, the officer was searching for?   uh... stolen electricity??? :huh:

It explains automobile searches without warrants which is what Raza asked.  I wasn't relating it to this case.

TurboDan

Quote from: Catman on December 14, 2013, 08:29:19 AM
It explains automobile searches without warrants which is what Raza asked.  I wasn't relating it to this case.

It actually would be interesting to see how arguments would go about this search if it went to a higher court.

If the stated reason for the search was to find out who owned the vehicle, I would wonder if a judge would toss the search because that information was easily obtainable without conducting a search, simply by running the plate. And is a desire to find out who owns an illegally parked vehicle justification enough to search the vehicle – especially one that is, by its nature, parked.