FFFFFFFFFFFFFF..... 91 in a 65 in Jersey

Started by 12,000 RPM, December 07, 2013, 04:35:54 PM

12,000 RPM

Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

dazzleman

Quote from: 12,000 RPM on January 04, 2014, 05:02:11 PM
Just waiting, watching the mail.

Nothing like waiting for that letter or call to find out how much trouble you're in.

Hoping nothing comes of it.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

12,000 RPM

It is what it is. I should have hired a lawyer instead of taking the advice of people who said not to worry about it. It is what it is
Protecctor of the Atmospheric Engine #TheyLiedToUs

Klackamas

Sorry to hear. I would have never done that. I have ALWAYS gone to court and have never gotten a lawyer. I've never had a major infraction like a DUI, so this doesn't count for things like that.

The first step is the initial kangaroo court. The officer has a date to show up, so the court corrals all his tickets together to a convenient time and place. Just go, dress fairly well, bring a book, be polite and state your case. It's on the officer to prove his case. Be prepared to lose. No problem. Ask to take it to the next court, don't pay the fine and schedule a time as far out as they let you.

Then work it up from there to the next court. You and probably one or two other people out of many will probably be the only ones to contest it up the to the next level.  The court has always given me a few times to choose from, so I know it's not necessarily in the officer's most convenient time.  I've gotten out a several tickets, because they never show in the higher court. I don't know how that works, because it's a failure to appear, but they don't. You can also talk to the prosecutor beforehand and try to work something out. I don't surrender $$$ to the money making machine easily. They have to work for it and it keeps your point count down. I'd say I've gotten away with about 60% of the stuff and the rest is reduced, most importantly in point count.
Tough times breed strong people; Strong people create good times; Good times breed weak people; Weak people create tough times.

MX793

Quote from: Klackamas on January 08, 2014, 03:44:39 PM
Sorry to hear. I would have never done that. I have ALWAYS gone to court and have never gotten a lawyer. I've never had a major infraction like a DUI, so this doesn't count for things like that.

The first step is the initial kangaroo court. The officer has a date to show up, so the court corrals all his tickets together to a convenient time and place. Just go, dress fairly well, bring a book, be polite and state your case. It's on the officer to prove his case. Be prepared to lose. No problem. Ask to take it to the next court, don't pay the fine and schedule a time as far out as they let you.

Then work it up from there to the next court. You and probably one or two other people out of many will probably be the only ones to contest it up the to the next level.  The court has always given me a few times to choose from, so I know it's not necessarily in the officer's most convenient time.  I've gotten out a several tickets, because they never show in the higher court. I don't know how that works, because it's a failure to appear, but they don't. You can also talk to the prosecutor beforehand and try to work something out. I don't surrender $$$ to the money making machine easily. They have to work for it and it keeps your point count down. I'd say I've gotten away with about 60% of the stuff and the rest is reduced, most importantly in point count.

Did you read the thread?  Dude lives in North Carolina.  Ticket was issued in NJ.  Not exactly practical to go to court when the courthouse is 500 miles away.
Needs more Jiggawatts

2016 Ford Mustang GTPP / 2011 Toyota Rav4 Base AWD / 2014 Kawasaki Ninja 1000 ABS
1992 Nissan 240SX Fastback / 2004 Mazda Mazda3s / 2011 Ford Mustang V6 Premium / 2007 Suzuki GSF1250SA Bandit / 2006 VW Jetta 2.5

CALL_911

Where in joisey? I just drove my sister to Logan township muni court for a 68/45 she got

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

J86

CALL_911

2004 S2000
2016 340xi

GoCougs

Quote from: Klackamas on January 08, 2014, 03:44:39 PM

Sounds a lot more expensive than hiring a lawyer.

FWIW, at least IME, traffic lawyers don't argue the facts. They go after technicalities - suppressing evidence/reports, etc. I had a carpool lane ticket and thus zero material defense. She simply had the officer's report suppressed, thus the case was tossed.

SJ_GTI

Haha, just now reading this thread for the first time.

As I am reading through 12,000's posts, all I can think is "This guy is trolling the forum, right?" I cannot wrap my head around someone being this worried about a speeding ticket. I have gotten probably close to a dozen out of state tickets (PA, DE, MD, and NY) and I don't think I have ever seen it come back to me on my NJ license. WHile it may be true that NJ (and lots of other states) have the authority to send all this information back and forth, my impression is that they usually don't. We are talking about government bureaucracies, after all.

I have never fought an out of state ticket. One ticket I got in NY was so high I thought about it, but then realized that even though the trooper had the authority to impound my vehicle on the spot he didn't bother (because he didn't want the hassle, I am sure) I just paid the ticket and of course never heard back from them again. Technically I think they could have even suspended my right to drive in that state if they wanted.  :huh: I got pulled over again in the same state (NY) a couple years later and since they didn't haul me off to jail I also assumed they never bothered to suspend my driving privileges.   :muffin:

dazzleman

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 01, 2014, 10:54:20 AM
Haha, just now reading this thread for the first time.

As I am reading through 12,000's posts, all I can think is "This guy is trolling the forum, right?" I cannot wrap my head around someone being this worried about a speeding ticket. I have gotten probably close to a dozen out of state tickets (PA, DE, MD, and NY) and I don't think I have ever seen it come back to me on my NJ license. WHile it may be true that NJ (and lots of other states) have the authority to send all this information back and forth, my impression is that they usually don't. We are talking about government bureaucracies, after all.

I have never fought an out of state ticket. One ticket I got in NY was so high I thought about it, but then realized that even though the trooper had the authority to impound my vehicle on the spot he didn't bother (because he didn't want the hassle, I am sure) I just paid the ticket and of course never heard back from them again. Technically I think they could have even suspended my right to drive in that state if they wanted.  :huh: I got pulled over again in the same state (NY) a couple years later and since they didn't haul me off to jail I also assumed they never bothered to suspend my driving privileges.   :muffin:

A dozen?  I'm impressed.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, DAMN...that was fun!

SJ_GTI

Quote from: dazzleman on April 01, 2014, 05:21:25 PM
A dozen?  I'm impressed.

Well, I said "close to a dozen. 7 is close to 12, right?  :lol:

Just kidding. I actually don't know how many I have had. Off the top of my head something like:

NY: 3-4 (paid them...I can remember 3 specifically, but I am pretty sure I got 4)
PA: 2 (paid both)
NJ: 2 (fought one, paid the other)
DE: 1 (paid it)
MD: 1-2 (paid them, I got one a couple years ago, but I am pretty sure I got one when I was just out of college while I as out with my cousins)

Oddly enough, I have never been pulled over for speeding in Canada, despite living there almost 5 years. The PA and NY tickets were all achieved while driving to/from Canada though.

dazzleman

Quote from: SJ_GTI on April 04, 2014, 01:34:05 PM
Well, I said "close to a dozen. 7 is close to 12, right?  :lol:

Just kidding. I actually don't know how many I have had. Off the top of my head something like:

NY: 3-4 (paid them...I can remember 3 specifically, but I am pretty sure I got 4)
PA: 2 (paid both)
NJ: 2 (fought one, paid the other)
DE: 1 (paid it)
MD: 1-2 (paid them, I got one a couple years ago, but I am pretty sure I got one when I was just out of college while I as out with my cousins)

Oddly enough, I have never been pulled over for speeding in Canada, despite living there almost 5 years. The PA and NY tickets were all achieved while driving to/from Canada though.

I think your record is almost as impressive as L. Ed Foote's.  And you have the right attitude.  Persistent defiance of rules regardless of penalty is the way to go.

J86

dazzleman

Quote from: J86 on April 04, 2014, 05:16:35 PM
What ever happened to that guy?

He's in Florida.  I talk to him on Facebook. I haven't seen him here for a while.

FoMoJo

Quote from: dazzleman on April 04, 2014, 05:37:43 PM
He's in Florida.  I talk to him on Facebook. I haven't seen him here for a while.
Well, tell him to show up...we miss him.
"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." ~ Albert Einstein
"As the saying goes, when you mix science and politics, you get politics."

dazzleman

Quote from: FoMoJo on April 04, 2014, 05:40:46 PM
Well, tell him to show up...we miss him.

I hope he comes back.  I'm sure he has his reasons for not posting for a while.  Maybe he got bored, or he's trying to build up his life in Florida, make new friends there, etc.

dazzleman

Any update on this, sporty?  I guess no news is good news.

TurboDan

Quote from: dazzleman on April 04, 2014, 06:25:42 PM
I hope he comes back.  I'm sure he has his reasons for not posting for a while.  Maybe he got bored, or he's trying to build up his life in Florida, make new friends there, etc.

Didn't he come to the NYIAS GTG last year despite not having posted for a while? He was a cool guy, it'd be nice to have him back.

dazzleman

Quote from: TurboDan on April 24, 2014, 10:08:30 PM
Didn't he come to the NYIAS GTG last year despite not having posted for a while? He was a cool guy, it'd be nice to have him back.

L. Ed Foote came last year to the auto show.  I don't remember when he stopped posting.

It would be great to have him back.  I invited him to the auto show this year (before I realized I couldn't go myself) but he wasn't able to get up to New York for it as far as I know.